Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Literally Elvis posted:

Spill the beans, what's to the right of the POG?

It's a Schumann PLL clone, made by FTelettronica. It makes weird fuzz dying robot noises and it's pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Also what's up with the crazy footswitch covers? I've never seen those before...

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Enhanced kickzones for indiscriminate stomping.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Yeah, pretty much making the switches larger targets for my big dumb feet. They only help a bit but they were something like 6 bucks for a pack of 10 so I figured I'd try them out.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
What are they called? I'm trying to Google it but I've got a big dumb head as well as feet and obviously can't find the right words.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Stayne Falls posted:

What are they called? I'm trying to Google it but I've got a big dumb head as well as feet and obviously can't find the right words.

Did you google "knob enlargement"?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
These specific ones are Moore Candy footswitch toppers. There are other companies that make nicer ones out of aluminum but they are considerably more expensive, Barefoot Buttons.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

polynominal-c posted:

:smug:

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

polynominal-c posted:

I can just go through my spam folder for that.

Thorpe posted:

These specific ones are Mooer Candy footswitch toppers. There are other companies that make nicer ones out of aluminum but they are considerably more expensive, Barefoot Buttons.

Thank you!!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Problems with my FX500.

I normally run this through channel 2 on my amp all by itself. Lately, though, when it's on, even not engaged, it will create a very loud hum combined with the sweeping sound of a flanger on slow setting. It still works fine, but when the band is quiet its very annoying.

Also, if I run it in line with my other effects, it drops my signal by like half, which is very annoying.

Any thoughts on issues with 25 year old 16bit multieffects processor?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm having trouble with some of my older pedals. Intermittently, the signal cuts when the effect is on. This happens mostly just after switching it on; I click the switch, then, as I take my foot off of it, the signal cuts. The power LED stays on when it cuts. If I have the pedal switched on and the power cuts, depressing the switch to just before the point of clicking it can bring the signal back. All of these pedals are true bypass, and here's the kicker: I already had the foot switch on one of these pedals replaced by the manufacturer.

Before I crack these open and try tracing it with my multimeter, does anyone have any idea on what could be causing this?

Here's a list of the affected pedals:

BBE Mindbender
Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh (this one had the switch replaced after this problem first started)
Co-Pilot FX Android
Noisemaker FX Super Nova

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

OutOfPrint posted:

I'm having trouble with some of my older pedals. Intermittently, the signal cuts when the effect is on. This happens mostly just after switching it on; I click the switch, then, as I take my foot off of it, the signal cuts. The power LED stays on when it cuts. If I have the pedal switched on and the power cuts, depressing the switch to just before the point of clicking it can bring the signal back. All of these pedals are true bypass, and here's the kicker: I already had the foot switch on one of these pedals replaced by the manufacturer.

Before I crack these open and try tracing it with my multimeter, does anyone have any idea on what could be causing this?

Here's a list of the affected pedals:

BBE Mindbender
Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh (this one had the switch replaced after this problem first started)
Co-Pilot FX Android
Noisemaker FX Super Nova

Have you already eliminated cable/power issues? If not I'd start there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just grabbed a Whirlwind Orange Box for $70. gently caress yeah! I haven't had a phaser in something like ten years back when I was a babby idiot and this one seems like exactly what I want out of one.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Which pedals do you folks find the most versatile, or have you had the longest? Fish & Chips EQ and DigiDelay are always somewhere on my board, and are also weirdly my two cheapest.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've found it insanely hard to get rid of my Carbon Copy even though it might happen soon. It's a really classic and lovely sounding analog delay. No feature bloat, even though external trim pots for the modulation tweaking would be nice. It's one of those pedals that nails the exact thing it's going for at a reasonable price and excellent build quality.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
nobels odr-1 and a tuner pedal
thats all i need

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

A "clean" boost pedal. I've had a LPB-1 cone on my board ever since I built it over 10 years ago. It can make dull amps and pedals come alive.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've found it insanely hard to get rid of my Carbon Copy even though it might happen soon. It's a really classic and lovely sounding analog delay. No feature bloat, even though external trim pots for the modulation tweaking would be nice. It's one of those pedals that nails the exact thing it's going for at a reasonable price and excellent build quality.

You should try the CC Bright version, I love it even more than the original (which I dearly love).

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

It uses Coolaudio recreation MN3205 BBD chips which sound great. I wouldn't sell it either.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 27, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pokey Araya posted:

You should try the CC Bright version, I love it even more than the original (which I dearly love).

I don't know why these companies don't just add a pot/knob to change this setting and sell one pedal (OOOOH WAIT A MINUTE!). You could add a rotary selector for different R-C combos the way a lot of pedals do.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I uses Coolaudio recreation MN3205 BBD chips which sound great. I wouldn't sell it either.

Haven't heard that one. I'll look it up.

Pokey Araya posted:

I have heard really good things about that voicing. I'm actually looking at the Faux Tape Echo v2 for my next delay but if I pass that I'll go with the CC Bright. I love the CC but it can definitely get lost, mainly when you're playing with deeper tones.

My last two pedals have been a Walrus Audio Julia and a Whirlwind Orange Box. Both of them excellent pedals. I'm still not completely feeling the Julia and while the Orange Box has delivered the best phaser I've ever heard I've learned that my real go to effects are all delays and reverbs. I like playing with echoes and atmospheres too much.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Haven't heard that one. I'll look it up.

I have heard really good things about that voicing. I'm actually looking at the Faux Tape Echo v2 for my next delay but if I pass that I'll go with the CC Bright. I love the CC but it can definitely get lost, mainly when you're playing with deeper tones.

My last two pedals have been a Walrus Audio Julia and a Whirlwind Orange Box. Both of them excellent pedals. I'm still not completely feeling the Julia and while the Orange Box has delivered the best phaser I've ever heard I've learned that my real go to effects are all delays and reverbs. I like playing with echoes and atmospheres too much.

Considering almost every Walrus pedal is a direct clone of something else I would be surprised if you couldn't find a cheaper exact replacement. (read: Behringer)

edit: hah maybe not the big B. Looks similar to the EQD Hummingbird: https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/hummingbird/ with a Boss CE-1 added.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 27, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Julia seems like their most unique pedal, I haven't heard anything too similar. For a chorus it's decently warm and lush which is why I went with it. I think my problem is that I don't like chorus. I do sometimes, on my THR10X it's fun. I like to keep my pedalboard full of things I use consistently and it's just an effect I can't get that much mileage out of.

tl;dr it's not a Supermoon or Wampler Ethereal and I should sell it for $$$ towards those

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gaspy Conana posted:

Which pedals do you folks find the most versatile, or have you had the longest? Fish & Chips EQ and DigiDelay are always somewhere on my board, and are also weirdly my two cheapest.

Every guitar project has my ZVex Super Duper as Hi-Z preamp/buffer/clean boost on the front end, Crybaby 535Q wah in the middle, and an EHX Deluxe Memory Man at (or right before) the end, where it serves double duty as both delay and volume control. Even though I like each project to have its own dedicated distortion sound, my starting point will usually be the Sanford and Sonny Blue Beard (Lamb's Head Big Muff clone) or a ProCo TurboRat, depending on whether I anticipate needing a rounded or angular sound, respectively.

I'll probably also have the Korg Pitch Black in there, as both tuner and killswitch.

My most versatile, including tons of insane sounds, is the ZVex Fuzz Factory - I know different runs have different qualities since he had to change the transistors as the supplies dry up, but I've never heard one that sounds like mine. Most versatile in terms of useful sounds is the Ibanez SM-9 Super Metal, which is basically the Tube Screamer's younger brother that hangs out in the bad part of town listening to Judas Priest, but still has the family classic rock record collection in milk crates at home.

The pedal I've had the longest is the Danelectro Fab Tone, which I always describe as a 90-mintue cassette with the first Sabbath album on one side and the first Stooges on the other. Definitely in the "too noisy/compressed for live use, but awesome for low volume at home" category, though.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Most versatile/most used? Modded DOD 250. It can be a great boost, hit hints of overdrive, and there's enough clones/kits that I don't feel bad about having around four variants of it with slightly different tweaks.

Value-wise, I got the Yngwie "loving" Malmsteen version in high school for cheap, modded it with ten bucks of parts, and called it a day. Versatile as hell, works for my sound, and I can make stupid shred jokes because of it.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Hedningen posted:

Most versatile/most used? Modded DOD 250. It can be a great boost, hit hints of overdrive, and there's enough clones/kits that I don't feel bad about having around four variants of it with slightly different tweaks.

Value-wise, I got the Yngwie "loving" Malmsteen version in high school for cheap, modded it with ten bucks of parts, and called it a day. Versatile as hell, works for my sound, and I can make stupid shred jokes because of it.

Lol

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I actually really like my ehx crayon tbh. Having specific tone controls on an OD is something I didn't know I needed until I had it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want to buy an active volume pedal so I can do ambient swells without dealing with volume knobs. What are the smoothest, most transparent, durable ones? I'm between the EB MVP and the Morley Little Alligator right now.

e: am I right in assuming an active volume pedal will be always on no matter what, giving me the bonus of having a buffer from wherever it is in my chain?

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 3, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hedningen posted:

DOD 250 is the poo poo, especially modded. Everyone should have one.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Novum posted:

I actually really like my ehx crayon tbh. Having specific tone controls on an OD is something I didn't know I needed until I had it.

I looked up a bunch of demo vids and now I really want one, it's pretty drat cheap too

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Ezhi and aka moomin drone

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kilometers Davis posted:

I want to buy an active volume pedal so I can do ambient swells without dealing with volume knobs. What are the smoothest, most transparent, durable ones? I'm between the EB MVP and the Morley Little Alligator right now.

e: am I right in assuming an active volume pedal will be always on no matter what, giving me the bonus of having a buffer from wherever it is in my chain?

So I'm down this rabbit hole. It's loving ridiculous. Why hasn't anyone made a reasonably top notch volume pedal for under $150?

How hard is it to replace the string system on an EB?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
its easy to do its just tedious af

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The concept of dumping a huge chunk of cash on something that is literally held together by a string sums up this entire hobby.

That's cool though, I guess. I'll likely grab the EB MVP and hope for best.

Right now though I'm anxiously awaiting the Wampler Ethereal I just ordered!

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
anyone got a beatstep pro?
im amazed by the firmware updates
im sorry if this is the wrong thread, im just so used to being disappointed by hardware purchases

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

The concept of dumping a huge chunk of cash on something that is literally held together by a string sums up this entire hobby.

That's cool though, I guess. I'll likely grab the EB MVP and hope for best.

Right now though I'm anxiously awaiting the Wampler Ethereal I just ordered!

http://www.ehx.com/products/volume-pedal

All problems are solved by EHX.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I saw that but my board uses zip ties. Wouldn't work unfortunately.

I ordered the EB MVP earlier. I've been a true bypass purist for years but the desire for an active volume pedal broke me. It's time. I'm accepting a buffer onto my pedalboard.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wait

volume swells and have we mentioned the Boss Slow Gear yet? Or that you can get a cheap, great recreation? I'm really high right now forgive me if this was discussed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLIghVkhByc

https://reverb.com/item/5190324-boss-slow-gear-sg-1-vintage-nice-japan-black
(lol)

And of course Behringers can be had at normal people prices:

https://reverb.com/item/5819491-behringer-sm200-slow-motion-pedal-boss-sg-1-slow-gear-clone

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 6, 2017

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I love the Slow Gear and that auto swell sound in general. I believe Mooer does a Slow Gear clone too, the Slow Engine I think? It's on my to get list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Get buck wild and acid etch your own pcb, buy all the the components and solder them. drill out your enclosure, slap that sucker in there and then think man... I could've just bought that behringer one on reverb.com and spent less time and money.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/filters-envelope/slow-gear/