Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Well for the ones where the class is essentially the job you'd just roll it in together

Or do you mean lose them if they blew up the world

Well, both are possible, really. It's possible that if they made jobs something you have from level 1 they'd rewrite all the class quests to be 1-30 job quests instead, though I really think they could get away with exactly what you said and it'd be fine (just keep the quests how they are and don't really draw attention to it). They might need to split the Arcanist quest line into separate SMN and SCH ones if they no longer shared a base class, maybe.

If they did go full Cataclysm and have another world-reshaping calamity they'd probably need to redo the quests out of necessity, though, which would be a shame. Hopefully if they ever do rework the 1-50 Eorzea areas, they take a different approach and just expand them/enable flying instead of totally remaking them after an in-universe large-scale disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Harrow posted:

Oh, and Iron Jaws is amazing. Not needing to individually reapply my DoTs is a lot kinder than I expected.

On this note, can I just give a huge shoutout to the upgraded DoTs? Only having to Iron Jaws every 30 seconds is sexy as gently caress

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

MCH was my main dps in HW and i'm terrified to look at it since SB launched in case I hate it. I'm one of those weird people who loved 3.55 MCH and thought it was perfect.

However I am glad to hear people think its fun at 70 since that was the main reason I played MCH so much in HW. :unsmith:

It has changed less than it appears at first. The core rotation will feel very familiar if you were playing regularly during 3.5 (and machinist was the absolute poo poo during 3.5 so it's weirder not to like 3.5 machinist). The biggest bummers are that your wildfires are smaller, you have way less buttons to press (that was part of the appeal for me at least...), and gauss barrel is removed on death, even if you had it equipped and it wasn't overheating. Gauss barrel should really be a trait at this point. There are cases where you'd want to remove it intentionally, but they are reaaaaaaaaaaally rare, especially since there's a cooldown after manually removing it before you can reapply it.

edit: It's really dull before 70 (Or 64/66, depending on your point of view). Before 60 it's all kind of bad. It reminds me of black mage during ARR in that respect.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

On this note, can I just give a huge shoutout to the upgraded DoTs? Only having to Iron Jaws every 30 seconds is sexy as gently caress

I'm really looking forward to that when I hit 64. That extra 10 seconds is going to make all the difference.

Coming from playing RDM, I've already reconfigured my whole UI so that it's easier for me to pay attention to my own buff timers, enemy DoTs, and the song timer. One advantage to the BRD's song gauge is that it's naturally not visible when you're not playing a song, so I can put it in a really obvious and obtrusive place so I can see it easily when I need it and it won't bug me when I'm not in combat. Can't say the same for the RDM's balance gauge.

Alakaiser posted:

It has changed less than it appears at first. The core rotation will feel very familiar if you were playing regularly during 3.5 (and machinist was the absolute poo poo during 3.5 so it's weirder not to like 3.5 machinist). The biggest bummers are that your wildfires are smaller, you have way less buttons to press (that was part of the appeal for me at least...), and gauss barrel is removed on death, even if you had it equipped and it wasn't overheating. Gauss barrel should really be a trait at this point. There are cases where you'd want to remove it intentionally, but they are reaaaaaaaaaaally rare, especially since there's a cooldown after manually removing it before you can reapply it.

edit: It's really dull before 70 (Or 64/66, depending on your point of view). Before 60 it's all kind of bad. It reminds me of black mage during ARR in that respect.

Gauss Barrel is one of those things that I can't believe they missed with the ability pruning they did. There are a few things that just seem like they rather glaringly don't need to be buttons on your hot bar but still are. Hell, even jobs designed during the ability pruning aren't immune to that. I still don't understand what the hell Impact is doing in RDM's toolkit. For comparison, it'd be like if Split Shot's chance to increase Slug Shot's potency was instead a chance to activate an entirely separate ability that was just "Slug Shot but it hits harder."

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 27, 2017

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Alakaiser posted:

Actually I really liked BLM in ARR so this sounds all good to me. I haven't tried SB BLM yet either but from what i've seen it looks really good.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Harrow posted:

Gauss Barrel is one of those things that I can't believe they missed with the ability pruning they did. There are a few things that just seem like they rather glaringly don't need to be buttons on your hot bar but still are. Hell, even jobs designed during the ability pruning aren't immune to that. I still don't understand what the hell Impact is doing in RDM's toolkit. For comparison, it'd be like if Split Shot's chance to increase Slug Shot's potency was instead a chance to activate an entirely separate ability that was just "Slug Shot but it hits harder."

Yeah, it just makes so much more sense as a trait at this point. I get tying the heat/overheat functionality to it, but the button itself feels so pointless. Pretty much every other change they made made sense (even if I miss having abilities like head graze and blank for a little extra to do beteween GCDs) but gauss barrel is even worse now that it's back to the 3.0 functionality of losing it upon death. It's baffling.

I also just don't want that stupid thing on the front of my guns. I have it hidden for myself, but I know everyone else sees it and it's so terrible.

edit: My comment on black mage was moreso the "the job doesn't really come into its own until like level 45" part of it rather than any gameplay similarities, to be clear.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Had BRD last night who was just... bad. Not singing, not putting up their dots. I tried to offer gentle suggestions over chat but was just ignored.

I really like BRD and it will probably be my second 70 class it just seems like one of those classes where when you're bad at it, you're REALLY bad at it.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Holy smokes this thread moves quick. Over the weekend I bought the base game and got my dragoon up to 40 or so and the MSQ there. Based on the comments in this thread and what I saw in game, I accepted gladiator on Sunday to get to paladin. Between the speed leveling XP bonus for new jobs and going a FC that has had the 50% bonus buff, I got paladin last night. Tanking isn't too bad and the fact I've not had to wait more than like 2 minutes for a queue is hilarious compared to the DPS queue times. The other thing I've noticed, is that I've received a ton of commendations for tanking.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Finally hit 60 on my first job (DRG) the other day just in time for that to not be the level cap anymore lol. I'm taking this opportunity to level up other classes in potd and pvp to try them out as I don't think I want to continue progressing as a dragoon. Not that I don't like the job, its fun enough and I like the flavor just that I feel like I've been playing one for so long that I crave variety. I don't really play mmos so I went with a job that seemed straightforward but now having gotten the hang of it they feel a little too simple. Gonna dip my toes into all the other roles, definitely want to try out black mage, bard/machinist and some kind of tank, I guess paladins are hot right now.

Previously I was laser focused on getting through the main story and I guess I kind of ignored a bunch of mechanics that I'm just now finding out about. Like I wasn't leveling my retainer much, or doing beast tribe quests, or advancing in my GC (just about to unlock hunts I think) and I don't have any gathering classes leveled. I figure that much of this you are meant to be able to ignore, and its a nice change of pace to just kinda lazily gently caress around with new mechanics, but its hard to tell how all this stuff actually benefits me.

Also I guess I screwed up by buying HW a month ago as I didn't realize it came with Stormblood. I'll probably put off buying SB for awhile till I get more jobs leveled anyways.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alakaiser posted:

I also just don't want that stupid thing on the front of my guns. I have it hidden for myself, but I know everyone else sees it and it's so terrible.

Do they? I thought it'd be hidden for everyone, like hiding headgear or the /visor command. That's dumb if it isn't :colbert:

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Speaking of, are there some actually good 70 NIN in this thread? I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't really really know when to use Ten Chi Jin vs Bhavacakra or how you're meant to fit all that poo poo into one Trick Attack window.

I've mained NIN since ARR. I'm not optimal, but here's my understanding.

Ten Chi Jin is the Aeolian Edge of Ninki skills: strongest in damage but best used when you have all your other poo poo up and running. The ability confuses a lot of NIN, but it boils down to.

- You get 3 super Ninjutsus
- They have to be a 1 mudra, 2 mudra, 3 mudra combo.
- If you move before it's done, you lose all that sweet damage. So make sure you have 3-4 seconds of safe stationary action before you whip it out.
- Weave it with Trick Attack as much as you can. But if your Ninjutsu just went down, ending TCJ with Suiton/Trick is not the worst thing in the world.

There're basically only three combos that ever matter with TCJ:
- Fuma, Raiton, Suiton (primary ST, Suiton either just acts as a soft finisher or engages TA) Ten Chi Jin
- Fuma, Katon, Doton (AoE) Jin Ten Chi
- Fuma, Raiton, Huton (if you're dumb like me and let Huton drop at an inopportune time) Jin Chi Ten

Bhavacakra is your opportunistic nuke, and always performs best woven into TA. It translates into less damage than TCJ and because it's Unaspected it doesn't benefit from Shadow Fang's slashing debuff. But you'll want to use it in lieu of TCJ if both are available if:

- You don't have/don't know if you have 4 available seconds to stand perfectly still and attack.
- Your hp is low, a move is coming and you need to pop Second Wind/chug a pot.
- Your rotation is in a position where said 4 seconds would cause you to lose a combo/Huton/slashing debuff (if no one else can apply it. Not sure if the numbers work out here, but I consider it more valuable to keep debuffs on. Maybe I'm wrong)

I'm not sure if you ever want to hold off on a trick attack that could go towards Bhava and apply it to TCJ later. I think the lost potential DPS of delaying TA is overall greater than the difference between Bhava/TCJ.

As for fitting stuff all your stuff in a TA, just follow the NIN credo: mash them loving buttons you maniac. :ninja:

Amgard fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 27, 2017

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

Ouhei posted:

The best argument I've seen for changing things is that over the course of the expansion, DPS classes get stronger from both left and right side items while tanks only get stronger from left side, so holding hate is only going to get more difficult as time goes on. I hope they do something because I can already feel a difference in the level 69 dungeon and I can only imagine how it'll feel in 2-3 patches.

Not that I'm going to run around in i270 accessories because I play a lot with pubbies and I don't trust pubbie healers at all.

For sure. Going dry on TP because Overpowering any less means losing aggro on something sucks. I'm gonna whinge some more.

I like Upheaval, but its cost should be 50 without a cooldown like Bloodspiller in my opinion. We have no satisfying options for staying in Defiance now and that would help quite a bit I think. Unchained and IR cooling down together is also terrible, as is being unable to pop IR while in Defiance. To me It feels less like they want us to stance dance and more like they want us to throw Defiance down the toilet. When I pull bosses now I don't even use Unchained, I just do a few BB combos, dump my gauge on IBs then switch to Deliverance to go to town. If they wanted Warriors to stay in Defiance or even truly stance dance they've hosed up real bad.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

Harrow posted:

Do they? I thought it'd be hidden for everyone, like hiding headgear or the /visor command. That's dumb if it isn't :colbert:

Nope! It only applies locally. It is the worst.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unfortunate thing about the leveling jump potions: they don't give you the AF set from your 60 job quest. :smith: You can't even get it from the Calamity Salvager, though you can get your first AF set at least (the level 45-50 one).

Guess that's what I'll be spending Centurio Seals on for a bit, since I'm pretty sure you can still get them that way at least.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
When changing the color of the chocobo, does it store the actual RGB values independant of the color it "snaps" to, or do you have to go off of the new value when feeding it next time?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
wrong thread

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Harrow posted:

Unfortunate thing about the leveling jump potions: they don't give you the AF set from your 60 job quest. :smith: You can't even get it from the Calamity Salvager, though you can get your first AF set at least (the level 45-50 one).

Guess that's what I'll be spending Centurio Seals on for a bit, since I'm pretty sure you can still get them that way at least.

I must be out of touch on this, but didn't you have to buy AF2 with tomestones? I don't remember getting gear like that when level my WAR, but that was before Stormblood.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I must be out of touch on this, but didn't you have to buy AF2 with tomestones? I don't remember getting gear like that when level my WAR, but that was before Stormblood.

Yes, but in Stormblood they removed that and added them as the level 60 job quest reward. They're also available for Centurio Seals apparently.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Amgard posted:

good :ninja: advice

Thanks for this post; TCJ confused the living hell out of me. Nice to see a good explanation of it :)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Renegret posted:

Last night I gained a level for collecting poop. Which unlocked triple cast.

That's my stormblood highlight.

Speaking of which, what's the best way to use triple cast? It seems to me that, unless you're triple flaring, it's just a mobility tool hidden behind a badass concept. If you use it during a single target rotation you save a second and a half in cast times on fire 4s. Big whoop.

I've been using it with umbral hearts when Ley Lines isn't up. That way you're guaranteed to get 3 Fire IVs instead of maybe having to waste a heart on Fire I to refresh astral. Not sure if that's optimal though.

Harrow posted:

Yes, but in Stormblood they removed that and added them as the level 60 job quest reward. They're also available for Centurio Seals apparently.

If you've already done the 60 quest are you out of luck? I never got all the stuff for my PLD.

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 27, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

If you've already done the 60 quest are you out of luck? I never got all the stuff for my PLD.

I would assume so, because that's roughly the same situation you're in if you use a jump potion to 60. They might add it to the Calamity Salvager in the future--they might've just overlooked it for now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah now that I'm thinking about it I remember when they released Scripture they moved the AF2 gear to Centurio Seals.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Eopia posted:

I have discovered a love of cheesing knockback mechanics with arms length, and have even managed to get some pubbies killed with it as they follow my lead instead of the rest of the party.

my experience with knockback immunity: x class dives into enemy team in pvp, I use rescue to stop them, they die as my spell whiffs

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Badger of Basra posted:

I've been using it with umbral hearts when Ley Lines isn't up. That way you're guaranteed to get 3 Fire IVs instead of maybe having to waste a heart on Fire I to refresh astral. Not sure if that's optimal though.

If you don't have to move you can get 3 fire IVs out without anything extra. That's why I think it's a mobility tool, so you can continue your rotation while running around. I guess technically it's a DPS gain because you can save a little cast time on your Fire IVs (a half second per cast), but for a 90 second cooldown I'd rather save it for a movement mechanic.

Also I don't mind using a heart on fire 1. The MP penalty for Fire 1 is pretty hefty so I don't think it actually makes a difference.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

:chloe: I was just hanging out in my squadron room!

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
I haven't booted up Stormblood yet, but did they get rid of cross-class skills for crafting like they did with the battle classes?

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So how's Gathering for making some extra gil these days anyways? I haven't messed with it since the days of ARR but I always found something strangely relaxing about playing Gathering classes, and I could use a way to shore up my gil some when I don't have much going on.

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little kupo bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Thalassocratic Navy, and I’ve been involved in numerous static raids on A1, and I have over 300 confirmed wipes. I am trained in ascetic warrior warfare and I’m the top dragoon in the entire Scions of the Seventh Dawn. You are nothing to me but just another S rank hunt. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on Eorzea, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of ninjas across the data center and your RP fursona is being traced right now so you better prepare for hell, you mother of a seawolf. The seven hells that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your DPS. I can world transfer anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my monk. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Limsa Lominsa Sea Wolves and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the server, you little moogle poo poo. If only you could have known what holy retribution your little “You don’t pay my sub” comment was about to bring upon you, maybe you would have held your loving kupo tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the sub price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fel cleaves all over you and you will drown in it. You’re loving dead, kappa.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Thinking about rolling with this for my dps mode on my pld.

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/1122M

Compared to vit mode

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/1122S

Gain 300 str, over 200 DH, and lose about 150 det, 100 skill speed, and 275 tenacity and 6k hp. Seems good and I have seen susano parses of a pld pulling 3k dps. I presume they are all str right. I will definitely try this setup out in a dungeon to see how it performs.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So, yesterday I went through most of the ARR extreme primals unsynced with a friend. I am a level 70 SAM and he's a level 62 WHM (still in the 3.2 patch MSQ). We had both never done these before and it was pretty fun figuring out the few mechanics we actually had to pay attention to, and most importantly, how we seemed to break certain fights and had to hold dps at points to not get oneshot by certain mechanics.

We want to keep this up and eventually move into the HW extremes, but I noticed yesterday that while I do a lot of damage, SAM is still super squishy. What would be the best 2 man team for this? I'm leaning towards either paladin or red mage.

edit:

Inverted Sphere posted:

So how's Gathering for making some extra gil these days anyways? I haven't messed with it since the days of ARR but I always found something strangely relaxing about playing Gathering classes, and I could use a way to shore up my gil some when I don't have much going on.

It's been very good for me so far. I've only leveled botany to 70 so far, but some of the logs are going for 5-6k a pop. I seem to get around 400 within a single 30minute food buff so that's around 4m per hour. These prices will probably drop soon (they dropped hard during the weekend and went back up yesterday) but it's great for now at least.

Freaksaus fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 27, 2017

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Freaksaus posted:

So, yesterday I went through most of the ARR extreme primals unsynced with a friend. I am a level 70 SAM and he's a level 62 WHM (still in the 3.2 patch MSQ). We had both never done these before and it was pretty fun figuring out the few mechanics we actually had to pay attention to, and most importantly, how we seemed to break certain fights and had to hold dps at points to not get oneshot by certain mechanics.

We want to keep this up and eventually move into the HW extremes, but I noticed yesterday that while I do a lot of damage, SAM is still super squishy. What would be the best 2 man team for this? I'm leaning towards either paladin or red mage.

edit:

It's been very good for me so far. I've only leveled botany to 70 so far, but some of the logs are going for 5-6k a pop. I seem to get around 400 within a single 30minute food buff so that's around 4m per hour. These prices will probably drop soon (they dropped hard during the weekend and went back up yesterday) but it's great for now at least.

what logs?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

I believe you can meld more strength onto the new crafted than the 270's have, but that would be absurdly expensive. I'll be surprised if they don't address it going into Omega.

You can't overmeld primary stat materia, so this won't be true even with grade 6 materia. Maybe if they add grade 7 during SB, but you'd still have the problem of the strength just not growing.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

first time poster posted:

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little kupo bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Thalassocratic Navy, and I’ve been involved in numerous static raids on A1, and I have over 300 confirmed wipes. I am trained in ascetic warrior warfare and I’m the top dragoon in the entire Scions of the Seventh Dawn. You are nothing to me but just another S rank hunt. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on Eorzea, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of ninjas across the data center and your RP fursona is being traced right now so you better prepare for hell, you mother of a seawolf. The seven hells that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your DPS. I can world transfer anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my monk. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Limsa Lominsa Sea Wolves and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the server, you little moogle poo poo. If only you could have known what holy retribution your little “You don’t pay my sub” comment was about to bring upon you, maybe you would have held your loving kupo tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the sub price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fel cleaves all over you and you will drown in it. You’re loving dead, kappa.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

:discourse:

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Holyshoot posted:

what logs?

Zelkova Logs, before that it was Twincoon and Bloodhemp before that. I used some leves but mostly just farmed these to level my botanist and made a good profit out of it, even after buying the full HQ set I'm still way ahead in gil.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

oh you lucky fuggin duck

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The hungry fox starves staring at the bull's testicals

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

5% persistent damage to the absolute lowest DPS (as Bard and Machinist were hit even harder potency-wise)

Bard and Machinist may have lost a lot of potency, but I also want to point out bows and guns now have weapon damage parity with everyone else and auto attacks are up full time again. It's no longer a situation where they need the raw potency on their skills and a damage buffing stance, that turned off auto attacks, to make up for having 2/3s the WD.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 27, 2017

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

A Spider Covets posted:

oh you lucky fuggin duck

it was the first 61+ long venture i'd done too which is pretty funny all things considered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Skaw posted:

Bard and Machinist may have lost a lot of potency, but I also want to point out bows and guns now have weapon damage parity with everyone else. It's no longer a situation where they need the raw potency on their skills and a damage buffing stance to make up for having 2/3s the WD.

This is true, but they're still bottom of the barrel in actual DPS, too. To a certain degree that's intentional--you can figure out what S-E wants their DPS to look like compared to other jobs using the SSS dummies' HP values--but it's definitely worth noting. (And MCH is underperforming where it's supposed to be, I think--it should be higher than BRD, going by the apparent design intention, but it's actually lower right now.)

Obviously they're helped a bit by being the jobs most able to do DPS on the move, and also because they both provide really desirable utility (more so for BRD than MCH, but they do both have Tactician and Refresh).