Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Condiv posted:

like, can you even bother with the lesser evil argument? when dems gain too much power, they become carbon copies of republicans, protecting cops that murder PoC, gerrymandering and selling influence and favors, trying to nuke social security and medicare, veto singlepayer so poor people can continue to die, veto minimum wage increases and marijuana legalization, own slaves and advocate for slavery, defend republicans and ballwash them when they're inconvenienced, etc.. at this point, the best i can say about dems is that they're more polite about their racism. they still ignore the laws, ignore their constituents, and ignore their duties as representatives

Wait are you saying that republicans and democrats are the same 🤔

But it can't be! It just can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

but we already have that? like the reason real medicine is expensive is because it works of the debased profit motive

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

mormonpartyboat posted:

im not being ironic

im actually hoping there's a bunch of unlabeled homeopathic insulin or some poo poo crated in by the truckload

this is too many layers of irony for me

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ignoring bill, i dont think most democrats are republican carbon copies but they're loving stupid beyond all belief and are terrified of actually doing anything with their power when they have it. they're so afraid of appearing partisan they let the republicans run roughshod

i don't believe they're terrified anymore. i believe they literally do not want these things. that's why they've moved from "singlepayer would be nice but it's unachievable right now" to "singlepayer will never ever ever happen!!"

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lmao @ wanting to gently caress piss chugged even ironically

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Condiv posted:

do dems have any policy positions nowadays other than megadonor money is good and politicians can take as much as they want?

Yes. They're in favor of mandatory gay marriages and drive thru abortions.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Karl Barks posted:

this is too many layers of irony for me

:killing:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nah it's time to :votegop:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JoeBerkowitz/status/879723616878899200

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

At least they are correct that Boer scum have no legitimate claim to being African regardless of if they were born in their colonial dregs.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
but i mean, i, as a serious political analyst on this dead gay comedy forum, of course have some extremely opinions at amendments to a nonbinding budget resolution lmao

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Start with yourself pls

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Frijolero posted:

Start with yourself pls

rude

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

be the change you want to see in this world

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Frijolero posted:

Start with yourself pls

i was dead long before you were born, frijolero, and i'll be dead long before you're dead

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Condiv posted:

i don't believe they're terrified anymore. i believe they literally do not want these things. that's why they've moved from "singlepayer would be nice but it's unachievable right now" to "singlepayer will never ever ever happen!!"

It probably won't happen tho.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Do they not realize that the amount they are spending on a replacement is being spent on tax cuts for extremely rich people?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Thoguh posted:

Do they not realize that the amount they are spending on a replacement is being spent on tax cuts for extremely rich people?

lol of course not

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Condiv posted:

like, can you even bother with the lesser evil argument? when dems gain too much power, they become carbon copies of republicans, protecting cops that murder PoC, gerrymandering and selling influence and favors, trying to nuke social security and medicare, veto singlepayer so poor people can continue to die, veto minimum wage increases and marijuana legalization, own slaves and advocate for slavery, defend republicans and ballwash them when they're inconvenienced, etc.. at this point, the best i can say about dems is that they're more polite about their racism. they still ignore the laws, ignore their constituents, and ignore their duties as representatives

I believe that's called Getting Things Done

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Condiv posted:

they can't accept the idea that sometimes people are hosed over when doing the right thing

the coal industry is dying, and it's going to cause a lot of misery, and there's not a lot that can be done to fix it that those who depend on the coal industry would be willing to do (like a free uhaul service and subsidized moving costs). it's a Bad Situation. so do you say 'welp thems the breaks' :killing: or do you try to plate juggle sustaining those in coal country against the tide of automation and other sources while telling everyone that they'll all be fine forever?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can i just say i really dig this new thread title?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Wait are you saying that republicans and democrats are the same 🤔

But it can't be! It just can't.

idk how people literally watch the gop try to gut medicaid for millions of people like, this very week, and repeat this dumb poo poo

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Thoguh posted:

This is incorrect, the House/Senate plans still spend a chunk of money, they just cut taxes way more. So while it spends 600b on subsidies, etc, it cuts a trillion in taxes.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Concerned Citizen posted:

idk how people literally watch the gop try to gut medicaid for millions of people like, this very week, and repeat this dumb poo poo

*ignores CA Dems destroying a massive push for single payer*

don't sign your posts CC.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

This is true, other thing also happened!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mormonpartyboat posted:

they can't accept the idea that sometimes people are hosed over when doing the right thing

the coal industry is dying, and it's going to cause a lot of misery, and there's not a lot that can be done to fix it that those who depend on the coal industry would be willing to do (like a free uhaul service and subsidized moving costs). it's a Bad Situation. so do you say 'welp thems the breaks' :killing: or do you try to plate juggle sustaining those in coal country against the tide of automation and other sources while telling everyone that they'll all be fine forever?

i dont know, what did the pennsylvania state govt do in centralia

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/ChelseaClinton/status/879732537844740097

FAKE NEWS BAD

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

zegermans posted:

This is true, other thing also happened!
it's definitely not gonna do wonders for the current seats in 2018 when reagan holocaust II passes

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Matt Zerella posted:

hard to really call it a "massive push" when they never even finished the bill. the never passed the funding mechanism through the senate, which would require a 2/3rds vote. and they didn't bother because the governor would just veto it anyway

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Yeah like you'd ever lift a finger against a business

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Going after people who buy in to essential oils and all those health supplement MLMs seems like attacking her core rich white woman base.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I dunno maybe we should be on the side of the folks who don't want thousands more to die and pick the fight about the thousands they let die due to single payer opposition for a different time through political activism and replacing of the dem party structure from the ground up with progressives

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Progressive is just Dem terminology for people that haven't got a sweet lobbying/fundraising/think tank etc. gig making six figgies minimum.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Concerned Citizen posted:

hard to really call it a "massive push" when they never even finished the bill. the never passed the funding mechanism through the senate, which would require a 2/3rds vote. and they didn't bother because the governor would just veto it anyway

See? There it is. This is the broken brained democrat defending this bullshit. How many times did the republicans attempt to repeal the ACA under Obama's administration knowing he would veto it or it would die in the senate? And look at them now, they're going to do it. It's almost like they...persisted?

But no, just wonkily hand wave it away and stroke your lanyard CC.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
"Progressive" was a name the DLC resurrected to run away from the term "liberal."

The Progressive Policy Institute was the original third way think tank (now there's an actual one called "Third Way").

Now "leftist" is the term pro-single payer liberals are using to run away from the term "liberal."

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

The "real" health journalism usually sucks too because it's standard operating procedure to horribly misrepresent the findings of studies to make them look more sensationalist.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
and progressive is also a company that sells auto insurance............ really makes u think

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Matt Zerella posted:

See? There it is. This is the broken brained democrat defending this bullshit. How many times did the republicans attempt to repeal the ACA under Obama's administration knowing he would veto it or it would die in the senate? And look at them now, they're going to do it. It's almost like they...persisted?

But no, just wonkily hand wave it away and stroke your lanyard CC.

the senate didn't even have the votes to get it through the senate. you have a majority in the ca legislature for single payer, but you need a supermajority and the governor. the senate bill that was passed was an illusion because it lacked the necessary tax increases written into the bill.

i think while a new governor might make it possible in 2018, a ballot initiative is probably the most realistic way to get singlepayer done as the supermajority thing is a serious pain in the rear end.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ ah yes, the "don't believe your lying eyes; believe my construct of dese-dose voters."

yah, I've pretty much been a single-issue voter over it for the last decade or so.

it's pretty amazing that 61 percent of republicans approve of medicaid. This is pretty constant, too; I recall a survey during the 2011 austerity throwdown that said pretty much the same thing.

if they'd polled medicare it would have prolly been higher.

even among Republicans, not many people actually oppose social safety nets in principle. it's just that the few who do have convinced the rest of them that badly-run and poorly-regulated social safety nets are covering tons of people who don't genuinely need them. that's why you see high support for Medicaid but also high support for changing the program to make it stricter, cut its funding, and squeeze as many people off of it as possible

Venom Snake posted:

If Zuck runs on a nominally left new deal democrat platform I'm going to grit my teeth harder than I ever have in my life if he's the most far left primary candidate

"maybe the billionaire CEO will be leftist and pro-worker" - the suck zone

he's a walking incarnation of "social liberal, fiscal conservative", I guarantee it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Resistocrats! I love it!

• Locked thread