Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been having fun just finding stuff like korok seeds for the plain heck of it?? Like, I'm wandering around some empty corner of the map but I know there will be some small prize to reward me for coming out there, usually a couple of koroks or a rare ore or a nice cache of harvestables. Last I checked I was up to around 350 but I'm not planning to search out all of them, I'm mostly hunting up shrines I haven't been to yet and finishing out the last side quests/shrine quests I have left before beating it and just picking them up as I go along. Like at this point I'll pick up the game and play for an hour or two or until I have to plug in, and mostly I just pick some mountain I haven't been to the top of yet and climb it because I haven't been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Lakbay posted:

The lynels were tougher than the story bosses

Also did they say how long the Trials of the Sword will be? I know it's 45 rooms and I know I'll probably give up when the devs make you fight 3 Gold Lynels at once at some point in it

Yeah, that's what I keep thinking the final room would look like. Or Gold Lynel, Gold Hinox, Guardian Mk. III and Molduga all in the same room. The trick is to get them to fight each other. :getin:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I am primarily motivated by completing my Hyrule Compendium, and making sure its only got good photos

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Earwicker posted:

I am primarily motivated by completing my Hyrule Compendium, and making sure its only got good photos

I hadn't been doing much with the camera but started using it more lately and yeah, this is kind of addicting

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Speaking of which, how are y'all taking pictures of your equipment? Using the mounts in my house is consistent and easy, but unfortunately the lighting isn't really what I'd like. If only the sheikah slate had a flash.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Scanning the TP Link amiibo can potentially give you a 2nd Epona.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I was disappointed that you can't change Epona's kit at all. I wanted to braid her mane. :(

Kinda silly that you only get 5 slots for horses and 3 of them are taken up with the "special" horses (Epona, Giant Horse, Royal Stallion) and on two of the special horses, you can't change their kit at all!

So that leaves 3 horses you can customize and way more saddles and bridles than that. I need more horses, drat it!

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
via tumblr

quote:

Twilight Princess Link: Sits patiently by the edge of a river for three hours to catch a single minnow, which he then shows off to several people

Breath of the Wild Link: loving power dives off a fifty foot waterfall, shirtless and screaming, to catch a carp with his bare hands, which he then cooks with watermelon, crabs, and milk, creating a seafood dish that lets him temporarily fight God

http://skarchomp.tumblr.com/post/158313407186/twilight-princess-link-sits-patiently-by-the-edge

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

BotW Link is cool but he'd be even cooler if he didn't spend 30 seconds gently tumbling across the floor every time he gets knocked over.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

*starts up the game*

*instantly starts complaining about lighting in a dark room somehow still letting him see Link*

Oh this is gonna be a treat :allears:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

aware of dog posted:

Speaking of which, how are y'all taking pictures of your equipment? Using the mounts in my house is consistent and easy, but unfortunately the lighting isn't really what I'd like. If only the sheikah slate had a flash.

Mostly the same; in the house. There generally isn't a consistent framing for weapons otherwise, and lighting fires inside the house doesn't improve the illumination. If I find a weapon propped up against a log, or stuck in a rock, but still clearly identifiable, I'll tend to use that picture, especially if I can take it while the sun's out, but those tend to be rare.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

*starts up the game*

*instantly starts complaining about lighting in a dark room somehow still letting him see Link*

Oh this is gonna be a treat :allears:

how on earth does the guy that made Braid complain about any story being unclear? He's even talking poo poo about the shrines having 'random names'. It's one thing to dislike something but he's just being a shithead. He's just dropped hot takes wall to wall. Even complains about Link looking like a 'hunky 12 year old'.

ew, soulja boy was right

well why not fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 27, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So we know yet if all the dlc stuff will be able to be switched on and off at will? Will any of it be always on? I'm gonna buy botw on switch (beat it on Wii U already) and fire up a new game after the dlc hits.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So we know yet if all the dlc stuff will be able to be switched on and off at will? Will any of it be always on? I'm gonna buy botw on switch (beat it on Wii U already) and fire up a new game after the dlc hits.

This first dlc is pretty cordoned off or inconsequential, so it doesn't seem like a big deal. The 'new map features ' poo poo isnt until #2 in December.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

frodnonnag posted:

This first dlc is pretty cordoned off or inconsequential, so it doesn't seem like a big deal. The 'new map features ' poo poo isnt until #2 in December.

The new map feature is Hero's Path and it's absolutely coming out this Friday.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah I dont think there is much detail about what is in #2 unless I'm missing something? just vaguely a new dungeon

the first DLC has the new hard mode which definitely affects the whole map. Hopefully don't have to start a new game for it..

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Spergatory posted:

I am looking forward to seeing just how much wandering around like a prick I actually do. It feels like a lot.

Earwicker posted:

the first DLC has the new hard mode which definitely affects the whole map. Hopefully don't have to start a new game for it..

From what I heard I think hard mode is a separate save file unfortunately. Seems like the sort of thing that would be fun in short bursts but not a whole game of it but oh well.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm going to start a new game in hard mode and make a b-line for Eventide Island right off the Plateau. :getin:

I'll also try to do early Hyrule Castle expeditions, since I didn't go there until the very end when I first played.

I'll also try to get some different colored horses than I had before. I will still have one named Roach, because how could you not?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are items like Opal, Amber, etc used for anything other than merchant fodder?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Jewelry crafting and armor upgrades.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Yes. At one point you'll need ~3 to buy certain items. You also need a number of them for the final tier of upgrades on armor. Both of those things are fairly well into the story, and by the time the armor upgrades start being on your radar, you've got access to plenty of places to get gems and enemies that drop them regularly, so go hog wild with selling them.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

There's some equipment that you need gems to buy/upgrade, yeah

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
tfw you forget you needed a buttload of opals for an equipment upgrade and just sold them all before visiting the fairy

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Spergatory posted:

This friday is hard mode and the master sword trials as well as some dlc chests. Neither of which will directly affect the base game beyond a new save file with secondary mixed map spawns and a prompt at the master sword pedestal to take you into rooms. I think they said the dlc chests are scattered around the map as well.

December is the new story segment and additional map feature with dungeon.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Hero's Path is the new map feature and was listed as being part of the first DLC.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/2/14/14608896/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-dlc-season-pass
"The first content pack is scheduled to launch this summer, and will include the addition of a Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode and a new feature for the in-game map."

http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/news/expansion-pass-dlc-pack-1-detailed/
"This new map feature shows the path Link has walked through Hyrule from the last 200 hours of gameplay."

http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/expansion-pass/
"The second content pack adds a new dungeon, an original story, and even more new challenges."

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

CaptainCaveman posted:

Hero's Path is the new map feature and was listed as being part of the first DLC.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/2/14/14608896/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-dlc-season-pass
"The first content pack is scheduled to launch this summer, and will include the addition of a Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode and a new feature for the in-game map."

http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/news/expansion-pass-dlc-pack-1-detailed/
"This new map feature shows the path Link has walked through Hyrule from the last 200 hours of gameplay."

http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/expansion-pass/
"The second content pack adds a new dungeon, an original story, and even more new challenges."

The map feature is the tracking where you went. Its a feature of the map in the slate

I'm talking about the new dungeon, story segment and area of the game, possibly a reworked section of the game map. Coming in december

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I wanted to hold out for a Switch, but I finally gave into my temptation to play this game, so I bought on the Wii U

This game just knows how to do fun

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

frodnonnag posted:

The map feature is the tracking where you went. Its a feature of the map in the slate

I'm talking about the new dungeon, story segment and area of the game, possibly a reworked section of the game map. Coming in december

So when you said "map feature" you meant story dlc and not the map feature?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

So when you said "map feature" you meant story dlc and not the map feature?

Yes, i though heros pass was the story addition teased involving the 4 heros.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Silver Falcon posted:

I'll also try to get some different colored horses than I had before. I will still have one named Roach, because how could you not?

I have four horses named Roach (and one named Big Roach)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

tfw you forget you needed a buttload of opals for an equipment upgrade and just sold them all before visiting the fairy

I never sold anything but cooked food, elixirs, and common monster parts.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It turns out Johnathon Blow is actually extremely bad at playing video games/Breath of the Wild.

Like really bad.

Is... is this performance art? He is beyond terrible at playing the game (tries to climb off the plateau, ignores Zelda telling him to go to the first tower, can't figure out how to aim with the bow) and complains about everything. He complains about there being so many healing items (which he calls "lemons" for some reason?) but is constantly getting owned by monsters.

God this is cringy.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Megera posted:

Is... is this performance art? He is beyond terrible at playing the game (tries to climb off the plateau, ignores Zelda telling him to go to the first tower, can't figure out how to aim with the bow) and complains about everything. He complains about there being so many healing items (which he calls "lemons" for some reason?) but is constantly getting owned by monsters.

God this is cringy.

My favorite part is when he spent like 10 mins on the magnesis trial looking for a way out of the first room, using magnesis on everything except the metal doors on the floor, complaining the whole time.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Jonathan Blow makes some amazing games but he's a weird guy with eccentric opinions about game design. It's not surprising that he's terrible at something straightforward like Zelda.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I watched more of that video than I should have. He goes in so negative it's beyond belief. Every prompt he either scoffs at, or ignores only to require the information soon after. 90 minutes in, he can't aim and continually is mashing the controls. He manages to fail at navigating the menus repeatedly.

He complains about the camera, about how the map icon follows the player (instead of the camera). He even complains that the game pauses when you open a chest. When the chat tells him how to play the game he dismisses it or pretends it's a flaw in the game. For someone that "doesn't play Zelda games" he seems to loving hate them.

I'm astounded he played Braid, let alone created it.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Everything Burrito posted:

I sold every gem I had to get the 10k to gain access to the 4th fairy only to find I now needed many of those very gems to upgrade my gear. :shepicide:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've always been of the opinion that if something is both immensely popular and critically adored, it takes a special kind of arrogance to insist that, in effect, you're the only one smart enough to see that it actually sucks. It seems like the more reasonable conclusion if you find yourself not enjoying a piece of art that literally everyone, public and experts alike, seem to love, that you would just keep your mouth shut or say, "It's not for me."

It's like the difference between saying, "I don't enjoy the Beatles music" and "The Beatles were actually terrible". The former is fine, the latter is as close to factually wrong as you can get in a subjective matter.

So here we have this game that's sold millions and millions of copies, gotten rave reviews from every media outlet on Earth, is one of the definite contenders for Game of the Year and has actually already been said to be one of the best games of all time and to likely change game design forever, but yes, Jonathan Blow, you're the only one discerning enough to see that it's actually garbage. How does someone look at that situation and think, "It's EVERYBODY else who is wrong, not me."?

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 27, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the impression I got was that he was intentionally playing the game badly and making stupid complaints as a joke. not that it was particularly funny or anything but it seemed too over the top stupid to be real, like I don't buy that a professional game designer would be that bad at basic video game controls. the bows in zelda works pretty much the same as the bows in skyrim or minecraft or thief or any other game with bows, its not like theres some new mechanic to get tripped up on

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 27, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Like a dope I forgot to get the Warm Doublet before finishing the fourth shrine on the plateau :downs:

Died a couple of times, but the game is really forgiving of your silly mistakes, and a new strategy usually always works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

Like a dope I forgot to get the Warm Doublet before finishing the fourth shrine on the plateau :downs:

Died a couple of times, but the game is really forgiving of your silly mistakes, and a new strategy usually always works

After you finish the plateau you can find the doublet in the old man's hut!