Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Yeast posted:

Best Paints: Literally anything. Just buy Vallejo Flow Improver. Ta-da, any minature acrylic paint you want now goes through your airbrush.

I have Vallejo Thinner, how is Flow Improver different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

mango sentinel posted:

I have Vallejo Thinner, how is Flow Improver different?

Thinner is a drying accelerant that sort of helps? but creates dry tip.

I used to use it, and then someone introduced me to flow improver. No more dry tip as it has a tiny bit of retarder in it, and I can put Scale75 or P3 (the thickest in the business) through airbrushes easily.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

mango sentinel posted:

I've trying my first Pox Boy. Here's my wip.

Any tips or things you think I should think about tweaking?

I don't have a green shade so I went with my green glaze on the buboes, but mixing that and the purple on the open sores I feel like I'm starting to get a little more Slaanesh than Nurgle with the clashing vibrant colors.

The purple open sores don't affect the vibe IMO. From there I'd even think about mixing it up between green, red and yellow for the sores. Gross yellow tipped pus bulges are cool. If you want to differentiate, you could do the horns in a gray style?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TTerrible posted:

My flow improver arrived. I've not had a chance to test it yet. I hope its as good as you say.

Enjoy! :)

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
How does the Flow Improver compare to Golden Airbrush Medium? Just did my first mini with it and so far so good but man this drying time is no joke.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TTerrible posted:

My flow improver arrived. I've not had a chance to test it yet. I hope its as good as you say.

I ran regular non-airbrush leadbelcher through it with vallejo flow improver and got perfect smooth metallics and no dry tip through spraying 40 necron infantry.

It's real good.

EDIT: about 15 psi, 1:5 flow improver to paint

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

General Olloth posted:

I ran regular non-airbrush leadbelcher through it with vallejo flow improver and got perfect smooth metallics and no dry tip through spraying 40 necron infantry.

It's real good.

EDIT: about 15 psi, 1:5 flow improver to paint

Hmmmm :staredog:

Airbrushing Metallics got so old I ditched an army. I don't have a day off to mess around with this for 8 days :(

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TTerrible posted:

Hmmmm :staredog:

Airbrushing Metallics got so old I ditched an army. I don't have a day off to mess around with this for 8 days :(

General Olloth posted:

The lychguard models are rad.

Ignore the dirty cheap plastic outdoor table, there was blinding sun (any sun) in Seattle yesterday and I braved the heat for a minute to take a nice natural light photo.

That's my post from the 40k thread, for one of the necrons I airbrushed the metallics on.

Here is a bunch with no wash or anything on them, airbrushed and put in my cabinet while I work through the rest of them first:

Now that I photo'd them I can see some spots that needed a bit more spray but I blasted this clump of 10 out in like maybe 10-15 minutes, and they are getting a wash and heavy drybrush anyway after. They look way loving better than the last time I sprayed and I only had to stop to fill the hopper and mix and dab a bit of paint off the needle on the end a couple times to get through everything.

EDIT: in about 4-5 hours over 1 hour batches over a few days I managed to get 12 warriors, 10 lychguard, 10 praetorians, 2 crypteks, 1 overlord, orikan, nemesor zandrekh and vargard oberyn primed and leadbelchered. I got dry tip once when I went too heavy with leadbelcher on the last batch getting antsy to finish but I just blewback the chunk out the end, mixed the cup a bit and powered through the last couple models :effort:

Salynne fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 27, 2017

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Did up a couple more jetbikes mostly to practice some freehanding.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Try going around the edge of the thorns with the green to sharpen them up? Also THIN YOUR PAINTS

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
After a few days this thing came together really quickly. I wanted a really tall and uniquely profiled vehicle, and was really inspired by that guy that makes that Navigator Household themed army from bits. Also m.ak. stuff from Japanese modellers.

My Inquisition Grav Tank Thing. The upper sensor masts will be magnetised on because this thing is tall at 11.5”/29cm. Besides antennas, I'm trying to figure what I can do for weapon pods. I like the idea of ball turrets, but I really don't feel like making those from scratch - just the idea of making nested spheres makes me ill. So maybe it'll be side mounted weapon arrays instead.

Mostly bits I've had around for years, off cuts from other models that I hung onto, and extra shapes (it's surprisingly useful to make small, oddly shaped trapezoids for use as filler shapes to build off of). The lower "bush guards" are just some bent paperclips I soldered together; I never thought of it before, but that would make some great antenna masts, like on some of the com vehicles in ww2.

Any ideas or changes I should make?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I have no idea what universe that thing is from but the greeblage on it is magnificent. With the right paint job that could be Mad Max concept art that looks like it has come alive

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Agreed. Reminds me a lot of the old Dune movie for some reason.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Yeast posted:

For Airbrushing:

Best Primer: Badger Stynelrez

Best Paints: Literally anything. Just buy Vallejo Flow Improver. Ta-da, any minature acrylic paint you want now goes through your airbrush.

I've got, and use Citadel, P3, Vallejo model and Game colour, Minitare, Reaper, and now (my favourite line) Scale 75.

They're all fine, and have their own uses. But seriously. Buy Vallejo flow improver. It's Airbrushing made easy.

Did they improve the formulation on Citadel? Because last time I airbrushed with that stuff it was clog city, and when I filtered the paint to find out why, it was about 50% paper matter filler crap.

I finished up my Infinity Charontid, Tried something different with the large area colours, Undercoated black, multiple white drybrush passes, then several ink coats finished with a little bit of edge highlighting and a touch of brown ink to break up the larger areas. Then the neon green and metalwork were hand painted like normal.

Feel it worked out well.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

General Olloth posted:

That's my post from the 40k thread, for one of the necrons I airbrushed the metallics on.

Here is a bunch with no wash or anything on them, airbrushed and put in my cabinet while I work through the rest of them first:

Now that I photo'd them I can see some spots that needed a bit more spray but I blasted this clump of 10 out in like maybe 10-15 minutes, and they are getting a wash and heavy drybrush anyway after. They look way loving better than the last time I sprayed and I only had to stop to fill the hopper and mix and dab a bit of paint off the needle on the end a couple times to get through everything.

EDIT: in about 4-5 hours over 1 hour batches over a few days I managed to get 12 warriors, 10 lychguard, 10 praetorians, 2 crypteks, 1 overlord, orikan, nemesor zandrekh and vargard oberyn primed and leadbelchered. I got dry tip once when I went too heavy with leadbelcher on the last batch getting antsy to finish but I just blewback the chunk out the end, mixed the cup a bit and powered through the last couple models :effort:

Ah these are fantastic. The issue I had was it would be pretty much fine for <random number of models/length of time> then start going weird and suddenly start spraying what looked like GIANT flakes. Like i'd been spraying novelty glitter nailpolish. :argh: Some kind of drying/blocking interaction that I was too mad to deal with.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting my latest work.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Sorry for all the image dumps, but i'm stoked that i'm cranking out my HG at a steady pace.

Finished up my first Primaris Ancient last night.

HOWLING GRIFFO

and with him being done, my 'command squad' is finished.

Yellow is hard with no air brush. BUT I'M 7 MODELS IN, TOO LATE TO TURN BACK.

VolatileSky posted:

After a few days this thing came together really quickly. I wanted a really tall and uniquely profiled vehicle, and was really inspired by that guy that makes that Navigator Household themed army from bits. Also m.ak. stuff from Japanese modellers.

My Inquisition Grav Tank Thing. The upper sensor masts will be magnetised on because this thing is tall at 11.5”/29cm. Besides antennas, I'm trying to figure what I can do for weapon pods. I like the idea of ball turrets, but I really don't feel like making those from scratch - just the idea of making nested spheres makes me ill. So maybe it'll be side mounted weapon arrays instead.

Mostly bits I've had around for years, off cuts from other models that I hung onto, and extra shapes (it's surprisingly useful to make small, oddly shaped trapezoids for use as filler shapes to build off of). The lower "bush guards" are just some bent paperclips I soldered together; I never thought of it before, but that would make some great antenna masts, like on some of the com vehicles in ww2.

Dude, this thing is so loving rad. I love how looming and imposing it feels, totally fits with the theme of the Inquisition. I really don't have any tips or advice, just praise at how awesome it looks already. Post update pics as you go along, please.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 27, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

VolatileSky posted:

I really like this thing. It looks like something you'd see in RT/2nd ed art, and reminds me of that big ground pounding thing from the Clone Wars cartoon. For weapons I'd look into the Sentinel missile launchers, the forward gun mounts on Chimeras (they have a soft/leather texture implying they could swivel) or maybe the Imperial Bastion weapons and mountings.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

VolatileSky posted:

Be careful not to add any winglets to the side, unless you want to make grimdark Slave-I.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Be careful not to add any winglets to the side, unless you want to make grimdark Slave-I.

That would actually be Slave II. I am ashamed I know this.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Finished 3 more dwarfs. I'm gonna take a short break from painting and then see if I can replicate my copper from earlier and post the process

warband so far:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Suggestions for a good airbrushable gold? I've got 10 sanguinary guard to paint, and I don't really want to buy a $25 rattle can of retributor armor just for them unless it's really the best option. I want something rich and fairly bright.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Finished 3 more dwarfs. I'm gonna take a short break from painting and then see if I can replicate my copper from earlier and post the process

warband so far:

So good.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Thanks all for the encouragement!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

warband so far:

So tiny. So good.

HardCoil posted:

Agreed. Reminds me a lot of the old Dune movie for some reason.

The models must flow. And to say I think about dune (lynch/jodorovsky and all the associated visual artists) is putting it mildly.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yellow is hard with no air brush. BUT I'M 7 MODELS IN, TOO LATE TO TURN BACK.

Thanks! I will, there's still to be magnetised weapon and antennas, exposed engine hanging down from the back, and possibly lighting the engine with LEDs. And I need to post finished shots of the Exorcists and valdor now that I'm mostly sure they're "done". I have zero marines in my collection but that quartered look of yours is really sharp and makes them stand out. I know how hard yellow is, and you've being doing that over a black base I think?? It's making me think marines aren't such a bad idea anymore, the knightly heraldry really suits them.

SRM posted:

For weapons I'd look into the Sentinel missile launchers, the forward gun mounts on Chimeras (they have a soft/leather texture implying they could swivel) or maybe the Imperial Bastion weapons and mountings.

Yes perfect! I started playing back in second, and third was only just being rumoured as the latest thing. I miss the old days of gw encouraging people to model their own vehicles (out of deodorant sticks) and providing rulesets to let it be officially included in games. The front mounted weapons are such a better idea than the sides, and lets it keep the monolithic slab outline. Sculpting that cowling is really "not bad" and gives the illusion it can pivot without my usual ocd of all joints needing to actually work.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Hadn't even thought of that, but totally see that potential. Scrapping the side mount ideas for front Lance/las batteries. Are Lances even a thing anymore in 8th? I'll pretend it is anyways.

VolatileSky fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 28, 2017

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

Suggestions for a good airbrushable gold? I've got 10 sanguinary guard to paint, and I don't really want to buy a $25 rattle can of retributor armor just for them unless it's really the best option. I want something rich and fairly bright.

Vallejo liquid gold is great and can be brushed on too, Alclad II is the best but rubs off easily so you'll definitely want a layer of varnish over it, regardless of what you pick make sure you spray over a glossy black undercoat that itself is over primer.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Booley posted:

I'd try P3 yellow ink over a good silver. Maybe followed by a thinned ink recess pass with orange or an orange-yellow mix. IIRC Vallejo silver air is decent. Give it a test on some scrap, but I've been finding P3 ink over silver/steel to be the best way to get coloured metallics.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Booley posted:

Scale75 Black Gold, then Dwarf Gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV6tXIWqdLc&t=224s

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I agree with this. You should know that the dark one is called Necro Gold. The Negro Gold that you seen in the clip is an unfortunate typo that I'm pretty sure they have fixed on newer bottles.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Electric Hobo posted:

I agree with this. You should know that the dark one is called Necro Gold. The Negro Gold that you seen in the clip is an unfortunate typo that I'm pretty sure they have fixed on newer bottles.

That's not a typo - that would be "Black" Gold.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's not a typo - that would be "Black" Gold.
Qouting myself here to show the Spanish name:

Electric Hobo posted:

They call it Necro Gold everywhere except on the label.
Scale 75 calls it Necro Gold on their webstore as well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

VolatileSky posted:

I love the concept, the silhouette, and what you've done so far. I think for me the biggest thing is that it needs to be more gothic if it's going to fit with the aesthetic of the 40K imperium. I could see that being an amalgamation of AdMech (using their quasi-retro sci-fi/steampunk vibe) and Imperium (NEEDS MORE SKULLS), which gives you a ton of flexibility to figure it out. Think of this as almost a venerable relic, an object of worship that evokes terror in the enemy and inspires the faithful. I would almost think of it as a floating cathedral, if at least a floating altar.

I think using side-sponsons from vehicles like Land Raiders would really fit the aesthetic well. Your tank isn't really rounded and ball turrets don't have a lot of use in the 40K world, but I see a lot of weapons sticking out of the side. Something that has the same aesthetic as the side sponsons on FW's Deimos-Pattern Predator would make a lot of sense. The Land Raider Crusader Pack looks like it has some good options.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Electric Hobo posted:

Hm. Weird.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Thanks, this looks perfect. Now to find where to buy it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Electric Hobo posted:

Weird, negro is spanish for black, would almost think necro is the typo.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Is it just me, or has the quality of Army Painter sprays dropped like a rock? I've been using the black and white as my go to undercoats for years, but the last few cans I've had clog up every use, and I have to clean the nozzles with acetone. Their top coats seem to be doing the same thing too.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Weird, negro is spanish for black, would almost think necro is the typo.

It's kinda makes sense in their naming scheme. Viking Gold is very red, Elven Gold very yellow, and Dwarven Gold somewhere in between. Necro Gold isn't actually that dark, but has a slightly green tinge so it looks like "evil" gold. They should probably just have called it Necrotic Gold, which I think is closer to the Spanish name as well.
I only brought it up because I've seen a few people searching for Black Gold and getting annoyed because no-one has it.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Sounds similar to P3 Blighted Gold.

Noble Knight carries some Scale 75 paint if you're in the US looking for it.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Element games and Wayland games ( :barf: ) carry scale 75 in the UK, IDK if they'd do international shipping.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath thread cross post!
There is a "do all the challenges on a single mini" challenge this season, so everything is piled on this guy.
I'll probably repaint the sword, I just needed some freehand, and as much as I like the idea of heads on fire, I should either drop the blue heads or go for much larger flames.

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Thanks for the oarh crosspost, won't have to hunt for the thread.

Next month, I'll be painting 35 warlord brits infantrymen. God help me.

Life is paint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

VolatileSky posted:

Thanks! I will, there's still to be magnetised weapon and antennas, exposed engine hanging down from the back, and possibly lighting the engine with LEDs. And I need to post finished shots of the Exorcists and valdor now that I'm mostly sure they're "done". I have zero marines in my collection but that quartered look of yours is really sharp and makes them stand out. I know how hard yellow is, and you've being doing that over a black base I think?? It's making me think marines aren't such a bad idea anymore, the knightly heraldry really suits them.

Yep, over a black base. Averland Sunset really makes it easier, but it's just layering all the yellows. it's a fine line.

WIP news: Started painting up my Primaris Chaplain, and I'm nervous about doing the black armor. Sprayed him Chaos Black undercoat, then did the whole model with Abaddon Black. For the highlighting - I was thinking of doing edge highlighting with Dark Reaper and Fenrisian Grey. Any tips?

Also, for size comparison, here he is next to my Lieutenant.

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath thread cross post!
There is a "do all the challenges on a single mini" challenge this season, so everything is piled on this guy.
I'll probably repaint the sword, I just needed some freehand, and as much as I like the idea of heads on fire, I should either drop the blue heads or go for much larger flames.

This owns so hard. Nice job on the sword.