Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there an application that would let you split off individual PDF pages into their own PDFs, merge separate PDFs into single PDFs, and rearrange the pages on a PDF?

Adobe Acrobat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Deleter posted:

What system would be best for playing as 70s Spider-Man? Bonus points for capturing the weird physics/storytelling of the time, and the ability to lose every fistfight.
There's a game called "with great power". Card based resolution, you improve your hand by loving up, with the result that you spend half the session being blisteringly incompetent so you can ace the final act.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there an application that would let you split off individual PDF pages into their own PDFs, merge separate PDFs into single PDFs, and rearrange the pages on a PDF?

Any version of Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) will do all of this.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I admit this may be a little better suited for the system megathread but has anyone here actually ever ran or have been in a game of Traveller (Particularly the 2016 version)? Though it looked daunting, it looked quite intriguing and I am just wondering, beyond its apparent openness, and it's crazy character generation, if it's actually a half decent game?

Oh and, I suppose, if you did play it and like it, what makes it so special compared to all the other sci fi systems out there?

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 26, 2017

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Splicer posted:

There's a game called "with great power". Card based resolution, you improve your hand by loving up, with the result that you spend half the session being blisteringly incompetent so you can ace the final act.

Has there been an RPG system using a Dominion-style deckbuilding mechanism for resolution yet? Because that's what this made me think of. Adding worse cards to your deck when you succeed, and adding better cards (or removing bad ones) when you fail.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As someone who once owned every volume and episode of Love Hina, all harem anime is embarrassing garbage.

Covok posted:

Nah, cause like people didn't know going in that Reagan and Nixon were supervillains. They had high approval ratings across the aisle. It was only with time did that become apparent. Like the Captain America comic Secret Empire (the original) where it is heavily implied that the evil mastermind behind everything was Richard Nixon. It was a shock to Captain, but not a surprise that someone could elect him unknowingly.
Yeah, point taken.

SkySteak posted:

I admit this may be a little better suited for the system megathread but has anyone here actually ever ran or have been in a game of Traveller (Particularly the 2016 version)? Though it looked daunting, it looked quite intriguing and I am just wondering, beyond its apparent openness, and it's crazy character generation, if it's actually a half decent game?

Oh and, I suppose, if you did play it and like it, what makes it so special compared to all the other sci fi systems out there?
Are you asking about the new Mongoose Traveller, or the version that came out a few years ago? The latter was made by and for hardcore fans, and it's a completely inaccessible "toolkit" phonebook for GMs who want to design literally everything from scratch.

Traveller is very much influenced by 60s-70s New Wave sci-fi. Its list of influences is about as broad as D&D's Appendix N, but over time it acquired a reputation for a Hard Sci-Fi, Military Sci-Fi bent. Even if that's only in comparison to all the space opera and sword-and-planet stuff in the hobby.

As a game, Traveller basically invented the Space Trucker genre, which is significant. My problem with it as a game is that while the rules governing what your character does are dirt simple, the rules for ships and weapons and spaceship fuel and vector movement and cargo space and trade values and and and everything else are so detailed and fiddly that I'd much rather use a ruleset like Diaspora or Fragged Empire that just abstracts it all.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Read this manga, the good Harem (Best)

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Rokudou-no-Onna-tachi

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

gradenko_2000 posted:

PDF Split and Merge will do all that in the free version and way more in the paid version.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

hyphz posted:

Wow, that made me remember my old copy of TFOS too. I remember thinking how blatantly it was based on Lum without actually mentioning it.. but then had that weird list of episodes as the sample adventures which didn't feel like Anime at all. How did it tie into Ranma? The boy/girl gun maybe?

Yeah, that and its explanation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

On a Mac you can use Preview.app for that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Harem anime still pop up from time to time, although they tend to have smaller harems instead of 6-10 girls you used to see in older shows. Moe is definitely still a thing, even if the show isn't explicitly moe a lot of shows use elements of moe style and/or character behavior anyway.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mostly use qpdf for this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kwyndig posted:

Harem anime still pop up from time to time, although they tend to have smaller harems instead of 6-10 girls you used to see in older shows. Moe is definitely still a thing, even if the show isn't explicitly moe a lot of shows use elements of moe style and/or character behavior anyway.

I'm not surprised as there will always be a market for horrible poo poo for creepy nerds. But the real question is will there be good ones. Like one thing that made the stand outs stand out was they kept the horrible elements to a minimum. You know minimize the inherent sexism in the genre. Or that's rose-tinted glasses. I haven't read this poo poo in like 15 years.

I always found Moe incredibly creepy. It comes down to intent for me. It's one thing to try and make you care about a character in a romance story or similar. That's just investment. It's a whole other thing to try to make you fall in love with them literally. Cause the whole waifu epidemic intentionally. On one hand money is money but on the other hand it's taking advantage of socially awkward and mentally unhinged individuals.

So are there any series out now that would make me feel like I was reading one of those old series in one of those retro Nostalgia ways? You know like watching the new Star Wars movie is retro Nostalgia for Star Wars fans.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

As a game, Traveller basically invented the Space Trucker genre, which is significant.
Has that made it back around to being a sci-fi genre in general, or is it still limited to games like... I dunno, Traveller and Elite.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Covok posted:

Was reading over Teenagers From Outer Space just now. Reminded me of all those (likely crappy if I re-read them) manga I used to read when I was in Middle School. Series like Ranma 1/2 and Love Hina and Uresei. Got strangely nostalgic while thinking modern anime fans couldn't get what the game was emulating and likely wouldn't be able to play it like those old shows. Weird feeling, especially since I now want to re-read some of those old comics even though I bet I'll just learn how lovely they were and how bad my tastes were (and likely still is).

Nah, I think they'll still have some idea.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah there have been games made other than Traveller and Elite over the years. There was Privateer, EVE Online, Galaxy Trucker, a couple of others I can't remember.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
EVE Online will absolutely let you be a space trucker, but it's not like the game is built to enable space trucking gameplay as a fun and engaging thing to do. It's more that things need to be moved from one place to another and it's profitable enough that some people will take up the unimaginably tedious task of making it so.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Siivola posted:

Has that made it back around to being a sci-fi genre in general, or is it still limited to games like... I dunno, Traveller and Elite.
IME most games of West End's Star Wars game fit the bill. The Mass Effect series has all the necessary elements, except that you are actually on a mission first, and opportunities to be enterprising mercenaries come second.

Edit: And how could I forget Fragged Empire and Sunless Sea?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 26, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

EVE Online will absolutely let you be a space trucker, but it's not like the game is built to enable space trucking gameplay as a fun and engaging thing to do. It's more that things need to be moved from one place to another and it's profitable enough that some people will take up the unimaginably tedious task of making it so.

Isn't that true of real trucking though? I've known a handful of short and long haul truckers over the years and it seems like boredom is their biggest enemy (well, now that they're restricted to at most an 11 hour workday).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Covok posted:

Still those series did have a charm to them. The closest series I found in the modern day to the feeling of one of those old ones is "The truth is I am...".

"The Truth Is I Am" and "Actually I Am" are the same series, "Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa"
Also, the anime version was loving awful! They focused creepily on the girl's appearance and completely missed what made the manga good. Read the manga, not the anime.

Though, I did forget about her shinigami series. Maybe I should read and watch that. With Rumiko you might as well do both as they never accurately adapt her work and end the anime way way earlier than the manga.

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 26, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kwyndig posted:

Isn't that true of real trucking though? I've known a handful of short and long haul truckers over the years and it seems like boredom is their biggest enemy (well, now that they're restricted to at most an 11 hour workday).

Absolutely, but realism doesn't make good gameplay. (Or in CCP's case, probably more like "accidentally imitating reality.")

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I should've specified I'm not interested in any space truckin' games, I already own Rebel Galaxy and am entirely fine with it. I'm just curious if there are any novels or something in the genre.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

As someone who once owned every volume and episode of Love Hina, all harem anime is embarrassing garbage.

Yeah, point taken.

Are you asking about the new Mongoose Traveller, or the version that came out a few years ago? The latter was made by and for hardcore fans, and it's a completely inaccessible "toolkit" phonebook for GMs who want to design literally everything from scratch.

Oh, I was talking about Mongoose Traveller, particularly the second edition they released last year! Does your statement about the fiddleyness of that game apply to that version as well or is it far more sane? Apologies for not being so clear!

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

SkySteak posted:

Oh, I was talking about Mongoose Traveller, particularly the second edition they released last year! Does your statement about the fiddleyness of that game apply to that version as well or is it far more sane? Apologies for not being so clear!

I ran a 12 session MongTrav 2E game earlier this year. My players really latched on to the random chargen - group character creation is a must, and there's some nice touches in the skill packs to make sure the party/crew has all the skills they need to play the type of game they want. In terms of the actual rules, I kinda didn't use them? I looked at the book, zeroed in on "8+ to succeed, modify the target number to reduce the time a task will take" and ran it from there. Made for quick skill resolution and fast combat, and succeeded in the goal of "convince the group to try and like things not Pathfinder". I also ignored all the vehicle combat rules and honestly most of the trading rules, since the players gave up on trading and became mercenary-scientists three sessions in. So, everyone loved it, it was super easy to run, and I don't think we were playing Traveller by the end, so :shrug: Hope that helped!

Biggest reason to use Traveller over some other scifi ruleset is the Third Imperium. Armed with some random tables from Sine Nomine, the Traveller Wiki and TravellerMap I prepped most sessions while the group was finishing dinner. Third Imperium, Space Trucker-dom and the 60s/70s technology assumptions are pretty heavily baked into Traveller, so if you don't like those, try anything else. Jovian Chronicles, or Stars Without Number (honestly just play SWN).

Halloween Jack posted:

Traveller5 is playable; the "game" is to buy a copy of the 800 page rule book and argue endlessly about it on Citizens of the Imperium. It's basically the analog version of Star Citizen. Except, you know, it's an actual product.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Mongtrav space xonvat and trading is surprisingly usable. Helps if you have a player who wants to cover the routine trading while the GM inserts weird shipments, mail, and passengers on top of the default.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

quote:

mercenary-scientists... I don't think we were playing Traveller

No, that's Traveller as all hell.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Cascade Jones posted:

-Traveller information-

Thank you for that information! What you said echoed what I've heard from other people about this topic which is mainly that the hard, crunchier elements are often easily bypassed or are optional. From what you said I have two further questions however.

1. Your game sounded quite open given how it went. How well do you think the game is suited to a more narrative style of campaign? Not inherently railroading for the sake of a story but just an emphasis for characters and plot?

2. What does Stars Without Number do so well? All I know is that it's also a space game that deliberately goes for an older style of RPG (but that could be wrong).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SkySteak posted:

2. What does Stars Without Number do so well? All I know is that it's also a space game that deliberately goes for an older style of RPG (but that could be wrong).

Stars Without Number is, at its heart, Traveller using the d20-based chassis of Basic D&D, rather than Traveller's own 2d6-based resolution mechanics.

In some ways, it's more playable than Traveller because it doesn't have nearly as much crunch as the later editions of Traveller and the writing is sometimes better.

The other thing I will mention is that, as with all other Sine Nomine games, there's a shitton of GM advice, GM support, and random generation tables to help you create adventures and whatnot. But most of it is generic enough that I was also able to mine it for ideas for a game using Traveller's mechanics anyway.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

-SWN Information-

Aha. Apologies for turning this into an endless stream of questions but would it be accurate to say the preference between Mongoose Traveller and SWN is essentially if you prefer using the 2d20 system or the 2d6 mechanics?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I've always felt Stars Without Number to be a pretty mediocre game

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SkySteak posted:

Aha. Apologies for turning this into an endless stream of questions but would it be accurate to say the preference between Mongoose Traveller and SWN is essentially if you prefer using the 2d20 system or the 2d6 mechanics?

Pretty much, yeah. My imagination was captured by the original Traveller booklets and I ran a game of it specifically to play it, with its mechanics, but I used some of the SWN sourcebooks to generate plot hooks.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

SkySteak posted:

Thank you for that information! What you said echoed what I've heard from other people about this topic which is mainly that the hard, crunchier elements are often easily bypassed or are optional. From what you said I have two further questions however.

1. Your game sounded quite open given how it went. How well do you think the game is suited to a more narrative style of campaign? Not inherently railroading for the sake of a story but just an emphasis for characters and plot?

Traveller's a sandbox almost by default; I had an endgame in mind for a big showdown at Regina, but how the players got there and how they allied with/betrayed along the way was completely up to them. In fact, the players decided to double cross a patron in the span of me getting up to get a fresh drink. Traveller characters have a lot of agency within a limited sphere. They are very competent at their fields, but almost always constrained from doing exactly what they want by social structures, the economy, and generally living in Space. It can really reward groups who want to make their own decisions from a physically limited menu (ie, you can't just jump wherever the hell you want). I imagine it would be a slog with groups who can't/won't make decisions.

Stars Without Number might be a mediocre game, but it (and its supplements) are chock full of inspiring hooks, random tables, keyword tags for getting a quick flavor for a world/crew/station/faction - and the faction minigame for having NPC groups reacting and scheming against and with the players is a lot of fun for a GM as well. The Xeno-bestiary is basically "here's some ideas, but really just use D&D monsters as aliens, it totally works". The spaceship combat is quick and gets out of the way - if I wanted detailed space combat I'd break out Attack Vector Tactical, but that's a bit much for RPG combat.

Plus SWN was the game that brought me from "RPGs are fun to play" to "Holy poo poo I can prep and run a game!" so I'm always going to look at it with rose-colored glasses. Plus it's free. It does have a very different set of assumptions from Traveller, though. The rules are Basic D&D in space, and it has a focus of "explore dungeons planets for magic items lostech. It just happened that was a feeling that worked for my campaign.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/misspixystix/status/878985945671909376

I don't think the hobby is really ever going to live down FATAL

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I've always felt Stars Without Number to be a pretty mediocre game
I don't care for it either. I really didn't care for the character creation and the hard division between the classes. The other parts of it that gradenko and Cascade discussed are probably very good, but if I had to play it, I'd rather hack in character rules from one of Kevin Crawford's other games, probably Other Dust.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't care for it either. I really didn't care for the character creation and the hard division between the classes. The other parts of it that gradenko and Cascade discussed are probably very good, but if I had to play it, I'd rather hack in character rules from one of Kevin Crawford's other games, probably Other Dust.

I should be clear that when I say "play SWN" what I mean is "also use all the Sine Nomine sandbox/GM helper material like Skyward Steel, the Mandate Archives, Suns of Gold, Starvation Cheap, etc.".

The only other ruleset of Crawford's I have is Spears of the Dawn, so I know nothing about what's in Other Dust. Isn't it still kinda B/X in Space, only more post-apocalyptic? How's it differ from base SWN?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
FFG is making a new Generic RPG. It's called Genesys and based on the system they made Warhammer 3rd and Star Wars with. Not much info yet but I liked both of those games. I'm a little surprised there isn't anything about using it for Anroid Universe or Arkham Files though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

neaden posted:

FFG is making a new Generic RPG. It's called Genesys and based on the system they made Warhammer 3rd and Star Wars with. Not much info yet but I liked both of those games. I'm a little surprised there isn't anything about using it for Anroid Universe or Arkham Files though.
Wasn't there already a (failed) RPG called Genesys?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wasn't there already a (failed) RPG called Genesys?

Yeah. I don't think they actually got to the point of being an actual RPG, they were going for that whole mixed media thing and were gonna have a smartphone app and etc and etc and all that remains of it is a twitter account that last posted in 2013.

https://twitter.com/genesysrpg?lang=en

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

"Genesys" is a bad name for something that doesn't involve GMO scaremongering.

Whereas just "Fantasy Flight" would be a good, a little old school-y, name for many games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yes, Genesys is a singularly awful choice for a name. Besides being generic and uninteresting, Genesys was the name of a failed fantasy RPG that immediately sputtered and died amidst terrible PR.

Genesys was, IIRC, yet another high fantasy D20-based RPG. Their big selling point was that the setting was based around 9 women who were something akin to the Icons in 13th Age. They had a contest for cosplayers to be "one of the nine." The most free advertising they got from this was when some of the contestants took to social media to complain that they were experienced cosplayers who'd been passed over in favour of, basically, whoever fit the most conventionally pretty "booth babe" look.

• Locked thread