Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Something I didn't think about when I first read that latest Prickly City: "These are hysterical times!" cries the cartoonist who spent literal months after the election freaking out again and again and again about Trump winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Both sides, both sides are just screaming at each other, I can't tell which party is trying to both increase our deficit and abolish climate science right now!"

🤔

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 27, 2017

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Not only did they just lose Varvel, he decided to throw some shade at Ramirez along the way.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

What the hell is going on here? Is that Marx at bottom left? Who are the others?

edit: also gently caress the actual message of the cartoon, obviously

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Free market free MARKET FREE MARKET!!!

Yes. Who can know how the free market would handle healthcare, Obamacare has been the law for sooooooooo long who can remember back into those misty bygone days of yesterday??! We really should give it the chance it never, ever had before, how could we ever know what America would be like before the bill was passed???

Wait...didn't just yesterday you make a comic saying the democrats should get rid of her?

Duke Igthorn fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 27, 2017

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Reverse gaslighting?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Literally the opposite of reality.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The smugephant is one of my favorite recurring editorial cartoon characters.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Faustian Bargain posted:

Reverse gaslighting?

Reverse psychology.

PassTheRemote posted:

New Ward Sutton:

That's a great last panel.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

The "bonafide relationship" thing reminds me of a Holocaust museum exhibit I saw where Jewish refugees were calling up everyone with their last name in the phone book in the USA and asking them to pretend to be a relative for the purpose of saving their family. Fortunately, records were easier to fake back then.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yes, portray the poor who are poor enough for subsidies as fatcat pigs.

This messaging makes sense when you just feed at the supply-side talking point trough.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Like, fine, cut Medicaid. Suicide by vote isn't new. I can accept that. Hail Satan.

Put the $800B+ into an infrastructure project. Or cut into our debt principal a bit. Or buy a new surface fleet. Maybe provide an endowment to the VA. There is an arbitrary number of conservative-friendly things to spend money on. Just make it something, anything other than an incredibly obvious payoff for rich GOP donors.

The Reaganomics cartoonists never seem to portray poor people as poor people. Fat pigs, greedy foreigners, lazy blacks, stoned lefties...anything other than just poor people.

Then again, how could one manage the dissonance between adhering to conservative ideologies and the red text in the Bible? Something has to yield, so for American Christians, it looks like it's necessary to think that Christ was really talking about helping and serving the noble poor, not those whose excesses and sins made them that way.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 27, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Potato Salad posted:

The Reaganomics cartoonists never seem to portray poor people as poor people. Fat pigs, greedy foreigners, lazy blacks, stoned lefties...anything other than just poor people.

Then again, how could one manage the dissonance between adhering to conservative ideologies and the red text in the Bible? Something has to yield, so for American Christians, it looks like it's necessary to think that Christ was really talking about helping and serving the noble poor, not those whose excesses and sins made them that way.

They are always in favour of the "noble poor" but they think that cutting benefits will force the "Fat pigs, greedy foreigners, lazy blacks, stoned lefties" on the streets/get a job, leaving plenty of money to help the Deserving.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the DUP's £1bn windfall – Theresa May has signed a confidence and supply agreement with the Democratic Unionist party – in return for £1bn in extra funding for Northern Ireland" After WF Yeames.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... Theresa May's deal with the DUP

'Theresa May took some persuading but eventually the DUP clinched the deal.'

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

The DUP horse is the greatest new recurring Martin Rowson motif.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

gently caress off Stannnis.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Serious question, though: how do the NI Protestants view the fact that this appears to be how the rest of UK sees them? One would think that if your life mission is belonging to a country where the rest of the population views you as essentially a bunch of grasping savage retrogade bigots you'd start to wonder what's the sense of it all.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Unkempt posted:

What the hell is going on here? Is that Marx at bottom left? Who are the others?

edit: also gently caress the actual message of the cartoon, obviously

I think the one behind the birds rear end is Ron Swanson.

Edit: also gently caress the message, etc.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

PassTheRemote posted:

New Ward Sutton:

Sutton sucks. Here's a real cartoonist.

"Of Dice and Men"

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Branco I appreciate that you (or whoever's writing the talking points you crib from) realized that "Dems need to dump Nancy Pelosi because the GOP wants her gone" is a bad look, but next time at least wait for the old talking point to expire before hauling out a contradictory one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BarbarianElephant posted:

The "bonafide relationship" thing reminds me of a Holocaust museum exhibit I saw where Jewish refugees were calling up everyone with their last name in the phone book in the USA and asking them to pretend to be a relative for the purpose of saving their family. Fortunately, records were easier to fake back then.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stefu posted:

Serious question, though: how do the NI Protestants view the fact that this appears to be how the rest of UK sees them? One would think that if your life mission is belonging to a country where the rest of the population views you as essentially a bunch of grasping savage retrogade bigots you'd start to wonder what's the sense of it all.

Because that is the truth in regards to the DUP.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
FREE sexy lady cards!

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Stefu posted:

The DUP horse is the greatest new recurring Martin Rowson motif.

I am personally fond of Theresa May going from Thatcher wannabe to ghostly spectre, desperately clinging to power.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Duke Igthorn posted:

Free market free MARKET FREE MARKET!!!

Yes. Who can know how the free market would handle healthcare, Obamacare has been the law for sooooooooo long who can remember back into those misty bygone days of yesterday??! We really should give it the chance it never, ever had before, how could we ever know what America would be like before the bill was passed???

I honestly thought that was the point the first time. The Republicans free market approach is pushing people off a cliff, as the Dems just try to call attention to the fact that Republicans are killing people. It wasn't til I recognized the style that I figured out it was a way stupider and more incomprehensible meaning.

Are the Gaybies still open? Cause this is a good contender for Easiest AGC.

quote:

Wait...didn't just yesterday you make a comic saying the democrats should get rid of her?

THIS is a comic about how Dems should get rid of her. Its basically "Dems should never believe Republicans because they are opportunistic liars, and Republicans are totally saying they should keep her. Signed, a Republican".

Apes-Ma posted:

I am personally fond of Theresa May going from Thatcher wannabe to ghostly spectre, desperately clinging to power.

It feels like she and Trump are basically severely corrupted clones of Reagan and Thatcher. Like, someone peed in the tubes before the samples got to the labs.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 27, 2017

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

I honestly thought that was the point the first time. The Republicans free market approach is pushing people off a cliff, as the Dems just try to call attention to the fact that Republicans are killing people. It wasn't til I recognized the style that I figured out it was a way stupider and more incomprehensible meaning.

Yup, literally "This bill doesn't kill enough people" from Beeler, unreliable a shithead

Fulchrum posted:

THIS is a comic about how Dems should get rid of her. Its basically "Dems should never believe Republicans because they are opportunistic liars, and Republicans are totally saying they should keep her. Signed, a Republican".
"Also you should get rid of her. Signed, the same Republican yesterday."

I can only think that this comic is what happens when Branco doesn't make his comic verbatim from a GOP talking point: it's an actual observation grounded in reality that totally contradicts his earlier message.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Sutton sucks. Here's a real cartoonist.

"Of Dice and Men"

Unironically agreed. This is why I'm headed to Vegas this weekend :allears:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Duke Igthorn posted:

Yup, literally "This bill doesn't kill enough people" from Beeler, unreliable a shithead

"Also you should get rid of her. Signed, the same Republican yesterday."

I can only think that this comic is what happens when Branco doesn't make his comic verbatim from a GOP talking point: it's an actual observation grounded in reality that totally contradicts his earlier message.

No, its more like "This is Branco trying to be smart. He is not very good at it."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

"Republicans desperately want Democrats to keep Pelosi, and Democrats would be foolish to listen."
-A Republican propagandist

How many layers deep will this bluff go?

Edit: Tomorrow it will be "A.F. Branco, a Republican cartoonist, is trying to talk you into getting rid of Pelosi, knowing that you won't listen to him and will keep her, but since you are not a great fool you shouldn't fall for his trick and instead get rid of her! Furthermore, iocane powder is from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely populated by criminals..."

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 28, 2017

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Jurgan posted:

"Republicans desperately want Democrats to keep Pelosi, and Democrats would be foolish to listen."
-A Republican propagandist

How many layers deep will this bluff go?

You laugh but apparently this is good enough to trick a large number of dems

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, this year's repository is up

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

This is the free market you worship so much doing what it does best, devouring everything for the quest for more money.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

seiferguy posted:

Unironically agreed. This is why I'm headed to Vegas this weekend :allears:

You should probably be aware then, that there are lots of places where you can't smoke, the buffets all close at 10-11pm, and they are pretty far from free. Also, a lot of the FREE sexy lady card dispensers have been displaced by guys in Transformers/Hangover/Pixar costumes.

You are, however, encouraged to shout "Suck it, France!" as you stand in front of the 1/6th scale Eiffel Tower replica.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yes. If right-wingers were demanding Dems keep Pelosi, it would be a bad sign. As it is, they're demanding her removal, which by this own cartoon's logic would be a good sign.

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"Of Dice and Men"
I really love the "impressed locals" bit. We get such good insight into Kelly's character with this series.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

This one hits a little close to home to me since I worked in the Utah Conservation Corps for the fall in 2015 and this major fire is happening in Brian Head which is around the area I worked and lived (Bryce Canyon and Cedar City respectively) and one of the big effects of climate change in the Rocky Mountain region has been devastated by the fact that the winters have been too warm to kill the Bark Beetle which has extended its range and cause its population to explode which to lead to a lot of tree dying and making good fire fuel when some dumb as poo poo rancher decides "Yee Haw I'm going to kill weeds with a fire torch!! :downs:" and starts a massive wildfire. But according to this rear end in a top hat its the "Tree Huggers and Rock Lickers who prevent the lumber industry from cutting down all the trees and have brought ruin to the state of Utah".

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gum posted:

You laugh but apparently this is good enough to trick a large number of dems

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Without the subsidies Obamacare will disappear into thin air, a good cartoon.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

If you're an american at work I would think twice about clicking on this link: http://imgur.com/jB6fT1i

• Locked thread