Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008

Momomo posted:

Of all the games Id has lp'd, I don't think any of them have managed to top this in sheer stupidity.

Nowe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Since I just drew this, the latest update is very relevant and this thread is keen on fanart, here's 9S wanting to try out the ancient Human ritual known as football soccer Emilball

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

It's a mech using a gun mech designed to fire out a bullet shaped mech that has a person piloting it

bondster
May 6, 2007

Yoko Taro gives us an indepth look into game design

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/879148440818561024

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

There are many, many complaints to be made about Drakengard 2, but at least they made an entire game, instead of half a game and an printout of the other half of the game script.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Qrr posted:

There are many, many complaints to be made about Drakengard 2, but at least they made an entire game, instead of half a game and an printout of the other half of the game script.

If only Squeenix had delayed FF8 a year or two to let Xenogears reach it's full heights. C'est la vie. At least Xenoblade Chronicles MORE than made up for it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Junpei posted:

If only Squeenix had delayed FF8 a year or two to let Xenogears reach it's full heights. C'est la vie. At least Xenoblade Chronicles MORE than made up for it.

Actually we recently found out that the second disk is the way it is because the Xenogears team was full of new people who were slow and weren't able to finish the game by their two year deadline

http://kotaku.com/the-real-story-behind-xenogears-unfinished-disc-2-1796151112

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Actually we recently found out that the second disk is the way it is because the Xenogears team was full of new people who were slow and weren't able to finish the game by their two year deadline

The dude might have made the right call. Who knows it would have sold well enough to justify making the second half, and the end of disc 1 is a motherfucker of a cliffhanger to end on. That works for TV shows sometimes, but I can't remember too many video games where it worked out well.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

U-DO Burger posted:

Huh. That's new.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Junpei posted:

Huh. That's new.

Well, he did say it was recently found out. So, yes.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That's new to me too. Ending the game with the destruction of Solaris would have been a decent stopping point--getting to that point still represents 40-60 hours of gameplay, but I imagine the gaming press (and a lot of the players) would have torn them a new one over it. People wouldn't bat an eye now, but so it goes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The first thing I do if I ever get the opportunity to visit alternate universes is visit one where Xenogears is a complete and finished product.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ZZZorcerer posted:

Between these aliens, persona's Mara and the latest Berserk issue.... Japanese sure love their dick-monsters.

Well, western aliens in Alien do look like dick too.

Well, it has been quite a while for something to go horrible in Berserk. So it was due. Granted Silent Hill dick monsters are pretty tame by today's standards, until you realize what they represent.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

vdate posted:

The dude might have made the right call. Who knows it would have sold well enough to justify making the second half, and the end of disc 1 is a motherfucker of a cliffhanger to end on. That works for TV shows sometimes, but I can't remember too many video games where it worked out well.

Trails of cold steel and sky

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

bondster posted:

Yoko Taro gives us an indepth look into game design

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/879148440818561024

History's greatest monster.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

History's greatest monster.

I agree.

History has never made a better monster.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Junpei posted:

The first thing I do if I ever get the opportunity to visit alternate universes is visit one where Xenogears is a complete and finished product.

Infinite universes mean anything with a non-zero chance of happening will happen, but things that are flat-out impossible will never be. Sorry, maybe you can find one where the slide-show is better translated at least.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Infinite universes mean anything with a non-zero chance of happening will happen, but things that are flat-out impossible will never be. Sorry, maybe you can find one where the slide-show is better translated at least.

Can you find one where Citan didn't let Fei eat people?

(How the gently caress did I play that game twice and not retain that that happened?)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Phy posted:

Can you find one where Citan didn't let Fei eat people?

(How the gently caress did I play that game twice and not retain that that happened?)
One of your 4 to 8 personalities repressed the memory. I think it was the one called -The Goon- You will regain it in -The Time of the Gospel-

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Synthbuttrange posted:

They're the generic chicken feeder style ufo , popular in the 50s after one got 'photographed' by this guy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Adamski

Thanks, I knew that silhouette was familiar but I couldn't place it.

All this talk of Xenogears reminds me of how great that soundtrack was. Now what did I do with those CDs...

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

Thanks, I knew that silhouette was familiar but I couldn't place it.

All this talk of Xenogears reminds me of how great that soundtrack was. Now what did I do with those CDs...

it was an excellent soundtrack with approximately seven total tracks on it

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rangpur posted:

That's new to me too. Ending the game with the destruction of Solaris would have been a decent stopping point--getting to that point still represents 40-60 hours of gameplay, but I imagine the gaming press (and a lot of the players) would have torn them a new one over it. People wouldn't bat an eye now, but so it goes.

Yeah see Takahashi basically did this in Xenosaga Episode I and the result was that the series got cut way short and he got axed as director, so it was totally the right decision to make XG disk 2.

You can get away with half finished games nowadays because we live in an age of DLC.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Tae posted:

Trails of cold steel and sky

Cold Steel is especially dickish, too.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeah see Takahashi basically did this in Xenosaga Episode I and the result was that the series got cut way short and he got axed as director, so it was totally the right decision to make XG disk 2.

You can get away with half finished games nowadays because we live in an age of DLC.
If you're running behind schedule and release the game feature-incomplete, it's not a buggy mess, it's "early access"

If the game comes out completely missing an ending, it's not a complete failure by the dev team, it's just "episodic content"

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

If you're running behind schedule and release the game feature-incomplete, it's not a buggy mess, it's "early access"

If the game comes out completely missing an ending, it's not a complete failure by the dev team, it's just "episodic content"

Unless that game is MGSV, in which case it's a "DVD bonus feature"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sgt Thud posted:

Cold Steel is especially dickish, too.

At least we knew the others were coming. It was far worse with Sky FC.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mokinokaro posted:

At least we knew the others were coming. It was far worse with Sky FC.

Suddenly, XSEED eats poo poo and dies for no apparent reason! Everyone takes this as a curse from the Trails series finally taking it's toll, and as such no one ever touches it again!

Don't jinx us guy. We don't know it's coming until it's here.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
I should have another update later this afternoon. In the meantime, if you want to see some stupid poo poo I'll be shotgunning all the cutscenes from another Kingdom Hearts game today starting at 3:00 PM EDT. The bad idea zone is happening here:

Click for a link to Darkness (Twitch)

It's a bit late to catch up. But the previous 22 hours of Kingdom Hearts Cutscenes and my degenerating grasp on the word "darkness" having any meaning...
Can be found here.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

There are infinite numbers between 1 and 2, and none of them are 3.

Xenogears disc 2 was bad in all universes.

Tazgirl18992
Aug 15, 2015

I've played Xenoblade chronicles X. As i have no idea about the xeno games, is it part of the same series? Are the other Xeno games good?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tazgirl18992 posted:

I've played Xenoblade chronicles X. As i have no idea about the xeno games, is it part of the same series? Are the other Xeno games good?

They are... kinda the same series. They are all sci-fi settings with fantasy trappings (fighting dragons with swords but they're laser swords and android mutant dragons) that, if I haven't gotten my religious symbolisms mixed up, heavily reference gnosticism, which I would clarify more if I had the slightest CLUE what Gnosticism was, my eyes kinda glaze over at the wikipedia entry. More "spiritual successor" than "sequel". Xenoblade Chronicles X takes place on the same world as Xenoblade Chronicles but quite a long time before it (I assume) and they don't really link to each other at all, at least not yet. XC has similar combat to XCX but is more of a traditional RPG progress/story while X was a hot mess.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The original Xenogears is roughly 2/3 of a good game, assuming you have a decent tolerance for late-90s JRPGs with... questionable translations. By contrast, the Xenosaga series--similar in name & style, but otherwise unrelated--is one good game, spread across 3 separate games. It was planned as a 7 part series, for the record. Then there's Xenoblade Chronicles (unrelated to either previous series) which is an honest-to-god genuinely great game from start to finish. Xenoblade Chronicles X is supposedly set in the same universe, but mostly unrelated otherwise. Finally in the not-too-distant future, the Switch is getting Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which is a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles but not Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Tazgirl18992
Aug 15, 2015

Ah, thanks Rangpur and Bruceski. I'll have to see about getting Xenoblade Cronicles at some point.

I might look for a lp of xenogears and the xenosaga series then. Not sure I'm up to playing old ps/ps2 games atm.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I would argue that on some occasions early access is more "we have a great idea and the talent to realize it but we could never actually devote the time and effort needed to it because we'd all starve to death from lack of money before it's finished, so please help fund what is currently a half finished project."
But yeah, mostly it just cranks out crap.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tazgirl18992 posted:

Ah, thanks Rangpur and Bruceski. I'll have to see about getting Xenoblade Cronicles at some point.

I might look for a lp of xenogears and the xenosaga series then. Not sure I'm up to playing old ps/ps2 games atm.

Good news! TDI already did an LP of Xenogears, and it's really good!

Tazgirl18992
Aug 15, 2015

U-DO Burger posted:

Good news! TDI already did an LP of Xenogears, and it's really good!

:woop: yaaaay!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Bruceski posted:

They are... kinda the same series. They are all sci-fi settings with fantasy trappings (fighting dragons with swords but they're laser swords and android mutant dragons) that, if I haven't gotten my religious symbolisms mixed up, heavily reference gnosticism, which I would clarify more if I had the slightest CLUE what Gnosticism was, my eyes kinda glaze over at the wikipedia entry.

Gnosticism occurs when you combine Platonic logic with Christianity and way too much time. Basically, God is perfect goodness, but any physical thing is inherently less good than the shittiest spiritual thing. In fact, physical existence is so lovely, that the Gnostics cannot believe that God would create the physical world. Instead, God created a slightly less perfect god (Aeon), who created a slightly less perfect god (Aeon), who created a slightly less perfect god (Aeon), etcetera, etcetera. After a long enough chain of increasingly less perfect Aeons, we eventually reach the Aeon Sophia, who is imperfect enough to create the lovely Demiurge. Demiurge is so lovely, he thinks that physical existence is actually a good idea, thus creating the physical world. Since Demiurge too much of a loser to understand that spiritual >>>>> physical, he cannot comprehend the existence of the other Aeons, who are too good for physical existence. So the Demiurge believes it is the only god in existence, and rules the physical world as a tyrant. In Gnosticism, Old Testament God is the Demiurge, and Jesus was sent to help us humans to shed our lovely physical beings to become perfect spiritual things.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
So god delegated a bunch of stuff that got passed further and further down by management until some dude who had no idea what the hell he was even supposed to do in the first place did what he could with the resources he had, and of course poo poo didn't work out and now he's being blamed for the whole fuckup. Then some dude who got there through nepotism by being the son of god has this grand vision to fix everything, screws around for a little while, and is lauded as some kind of savior for it.

Seems like a pretty standard corporate environment to me. I think those guys are on to something.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
The worst part of that last Quest is that elevator opens and that music plays and I had to set my controller down for a minute as I realized what was happening. drat you Yoko taro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

golden bubble posted:

Gnosticism occurs when you combine Platonic logic with Christianity and way too much time. Basically, God is perfect goodness, but any physical thing is inherently less good than the shittiest spiritual thing. In fact, physical existence is so lovely, that the Gnostics cannot believe that God would create the physical world. Instead, God created a slightly less perfect god (Aeon), who created a slightly less perfect god (Aeon), who created a slightly less perfect god (Aeon), etcetera, etcetera. After a long enough chain of increasingly less perfect Aeons, we eventually reach the Aeon Sophia, who is imperfect enough to create the lovely Demiurge. Demiurge is so lovely, he thinks that physical existence is actually a good idea, thus creating the physical world. Since Demiurge too much of a loser to understand that spiritual >>>>> physical, he cannot comprehend the existence of the other Aeons, who are too good for physical existence. So the Demiurge believes it is the only god in existence, and rules the physical world as a tyrant. In Gnosticism, Old Testament God is the Demiurge, and Jesus was sent to help us humans to shed our lovely physical beings to become perfect spiritual things.

I don't know much about it, but isn't the Gnostic version of the devil (Satanael, Persona 5 tells me) is actually a decent dude?

• Locked thread