Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

tweet my meat posted:

Then again I could always just hop into some one down pubbie games, a real trial by fire.

Please don't.

The difficulty scaling is broken in such a way that there's a massive gulf between Overkill and anything above Overkill that requires specific skill setups to overcome and whatever FPS skills you have won't make it up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah there are a lot of bads out there right now. I was testing a Manaic build and joined a DW Cookoff. Had one other high level dude and two sub-75 zero infamy guys. I was running around murdering cops by the hundred and keeping the Maniac bar full. Noobs say "man this is easy". I got afk for a minute to piss because the higher level guy wanted to cook 15 bags. Come back and they are all down. "Hrmm...."

I ended up saving all of them because I wanted my 1k+ kills to count towards Robbedacop for whatever sadistic reason.

As a bad, what is your manaic build?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Why are melee weapons so convoluted/poo poo? They have the dead rising philosophy of "anything that is not bolted down can be used as a weapon OKAY GO THE WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER" which I like but they just...kinda suck. At least give us Postal 2 style decapitations across the board with stuff like the fire axe instead of locking it to Jiro+katana+charged fatal attacks+cloaker

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Oh sweet summer child. This is the new era of melee's return and vast improvement. You should've seen it last year...

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

No one needed to see every single weapon deal 30 (80) damage or less. Never again. Let our dark past be the past; spoken of, learned from and above all, not repeated.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

maswastaken posted:

No one needed to see every single weapon deal 30 (80) damage or less. Never again. Let our dark past be the past; spoken of, learned from and above all, not repeated.

No you see a bundle of cash should do the same damage as a giant greatsword because __________

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

chairface posted:

No you see a bundle of cash should do the same damage as a giant greatsword because __________

Let us not forget the frothing madness of a chainsaw.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

chairface posted:

I have to admit that I do appreciate that the money bundle was made to deal 15 times what it used to. And still does.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
If you aren't just using the Buzzer/Electric Knux then I don't know what to tell you.

However real style points come from killing a Cloaker with the selfie stick.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Playing solo is one thing, but god drat taking on a one down stealth mission with 4 people in a discord trying to coordinate and plan is something else.

Our first night of play 3 of us who were pretty new and one experienced player took out Diamond Store and Shadow Raid. Shadow Raid was especially fun because I managed to fluke a solo run of it with a friend so I already knew the ins and outs. Me and the experienced guy split off and took one other player with us each, one group through the roof, other through the waterfront entrance. Took us nearly 3 hours but we managed to beat it with some insanely close calls on the last run and an ecm rush to the van carrying the last piece of armor. We had our maneuvers and callouts down to precision by the end.

This game is honestly everything I wanted from l4d2.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

EorayMel posted:

Why are melee weapons so convoluted/poo poo? They have the dead rising philosophy of "anything that is not bolted down can be used as a weapon OKAY GO THE WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER" which I like but they just...kinda suck. At least give us Postal 2 style decapitations across the board with stuff like the fire axe instead of locking it to Jiro+katana+charged fatal attacks+cloaker

As far as killing enemies is concerned, melee has always been little more than a fairly weak supplement to guns. The only perk deck that emphasizes it in some significant way, Infiltrator, is ultimately still dependent on shooting enemies to kill them. Trying to use melee to kill anything more than a few enemies per heist on Payday 2 is way more trouble than it's worth. In fact, melee weapons are far more useful for stunning specials and common enemies and/or taking the latter hostage - and then converting them, if you've skilled up the relevant tree - than actually killing anything.

Some of the more gimmicky melee weapons - eg the chainsaw - are mere novelties with little real value.

tweet my meat posted:

Then again I could always just hop into some one down pubbie games, a real trial by fire.

It's already a trial by fire to find pubbie OD games that contain competent players and do not contain cheaters.

Wastrel_ fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 27, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Infiltrator 👏 isn't 👏 a 👏 melee 👏 deck

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

chairface posted:

There needs to be a skill where you either summon vast amounts of money to just fly about in a hurricane that does 100 or so damage to cops inside of the death by papercut green tornado or just dumbo drop a great big pile onto an area. It spends some cash but you can pick it up for more loot.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Where's the gun that shoots money, Overkill?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Dr Cheeto posted:

A T-Shirt cannon that just blasts out sound bytes of LODS O MONE and volleys of bucks with the achievement for killing 1000 cops with 100,000,000 dollars as SHUT YER MOUTH AND LOOK AT MY WOD.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I'd be interested in a t-shirt cannon that flings cops around.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Plan Z posted:

I'd be interested in a t-shirt cannon that flings cops around.

Call it the Maude Flanders gun?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The correct use for melee is to wipe out an entire room then one-shot the single cop left so you can reload at super speed, almost like you're playing DOOM.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

My use of melee is to find a Bulldozer and deal 12000 damage in one completely ignored hit because I didn't see the medic. Again.

I think it's a matter of taste, to be honest.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

maswastaken posted:

My use of melee is to find a Bulldozer and deal 12000 damage in one completely ignored hit because I didn't see the medic. Again.
:argh::hf::bang:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
my use of melee is to pair it with sociopath and run around shotgunning and chainsawing everything I can because panic is the best

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:

Dr Cheeto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuNgGQtdJ3Y

StoneyAssassin
Feb 19, 2003

Perfect

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

:great:

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

So what's this medic I'm hearing about lately. It sounds bad. Also is there any repercussions to unclicked cops managing to get away with a bag during the protect your house bit.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I wish I still had my Dragonlord only for this mod.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Amazing.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Does anybody here use a Castigo .44 Revolver? I have a Mint Condition Juarez skin for it that includes a Cruz Grip mod and Diablo Barrel mod that I'm never going to use if someone will actually use it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

juliuspringle posted:

Does anybody here use a Castigo .44 Revolver? I have a Mint Condition Juarez skin for it that includes a Cruz Grip mod and Diablo Barrel mod that I'm never going to use if someone will actually use it.

I'm contemplating it but I have a sick nasty bronco that serves me well as a pocket sniper rifle.

the .44 supposedly reloads a lot faster than the 357 mateba which i like but never played with one.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crabtree posted:

A T-Shirt cannon that just blasts out sound bytes of LODS O MONE and volleys of bucks with the achievement for killing 1000 cops with 100,000,000 dollars as SHUT YER MOUTH AND LOOK AT MY WOD.

The song is called Loadsamoney, and the line goes L O D S of E M O N E.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

juliuspringle posted:

So what's this medic I'm hearing about lately. It sounds bad. Also is there any repercussions to unclicked cops managing to get away with a bag during the protect your house bit.

If you lose too many, you lose the heist. Fun fact, there are voice clips in the game suggesting that the number of bags that you could afford to lose once ranged from zero to nine.

Medics are red-wearing light swat with especially annoying lines. When an enemy dies within a short (~8) m radius, they're instantly revived with full health and a flashing green outline. Medics have a ~3 second cooldown, so for many cases it's easiest to just double tap the enemy as they are revived.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 27, 2017

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

:sbahj:

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

If you lose too many, you lose the heist. Fun fact, there are voice clips in the game suggesting that the number of bags that you could afford to lose once ranged from zero to nine.

Medics are red-wearing light swat with especially annoying lines. When an enemy dies within a short (~8) m radius, they're instantly revived with full health and a flashing green outline. Medics have a ~3 second cooldown, so for many cases it's easiest to just double tap the enemy as they are revived.

So all that happens is I fail the heist? I was worried I would lose cash or something like that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
naw you just lose out on the easiest 6 continental coins you'll get outside of a good crime spree

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

maswastaken posted:

First thing I noticed with console update is the ice pick sucks now. Im using biker chain cause it looks cool...

Basically everyone runs those tazer knuckles.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
I ask everyone have patience with new players, and gently correct them when they make errors. Some people are genuinely stupid, but plenty are also capable of changing if something is merely pointed out to them in a plain manner.

chairface posted:

It's not so much that shotguns are powerful for the free2play DLC-less crowd, but that shotguns are powerful across the board. The other day I was in a goon group where all 4 players were using an autoshotgun primary with an explosive (GL or explosive shotgun) secondary. Nothing wrong with the game balance here!

Might as well repeat the conversation for public viewing. What makes shotguns so good isn't even something like their damage or fire rate. It's two factors that feed in to each other when combined.

The first, most obvious, factor is instant response shooting. Shotguns can be more effectively fired 'from the hip' and snap aimed. The time to aim in and shoot a cop down being so small makes a massive difference. The most effective defense in payday 2 is still a good offense. Second, shotguns tend to, TEND TO, have decent pickup for their shot output. Lower damage ones, or auto shotties, will have quite silly pickup given they are shotguns. Simply put, the ability to lay down fire without regard to if you'll have ammo later is incredibly powerful. You can take even more reckless hip shots secure in the knowledge you'll be able to replenish ammo easily enough.

Frankly, no weapon but shotguns can claim either of these things. Much less both combined. Most ARs have such bad pickup that it's mandatory to turn them in to DMRs or treat them as such. Even 'decent' pickup midrange ARs don't have the pickup to sustain a more reckless shooting style. Pistols are in the same boat. Both categories have rare exceptions, but one or two per category does not make the category good. Doing nothing but giving pistols and ARs much better pickup across the board would go a long way to fixing them simply because of this. The ability lay out shots without taking the time to be sure every bullet counts is essential. This is a run and gun game, after all. This isn't a game like STALKER. With ten cops LITERALLY SPRINTING AT YOU HEAD ON all at once, you don't have time to carefully select a perfect head shot for each one.

I also suspect you can thank shotguns for having the only competently designed weapon skill tree, but I'd start by fixing pickup first and see what happens.

edit: This is also what made Body Expertise such an incredible tree to buy in to, but it got poo poo on for daring to be a functional playstyle.

Fuuka Ayase fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 28, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Already noticed a bug: Post did not include a download link.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fuuka Ayase posted:

Shotgunchat
Also they have a tendency to get head hits and can hit multiple cops with one shot, and kill each, because each pellet does full damage. One thing for newer players to note is that if a shotgun pellet hits a cop in both the body and the head, it counts as a head hit.

Then there is the whole Aced Bullseye giving you 25 armor back for each head hit.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Fuuka Ayase posted:

edit: This is also what made Body Expertise such an incredible tree to buy in to, but it got poo poo on for daring to be a functional playstyle.

Body Expertise affecting bulldozers was too easily broken the way they did it, since DMRs can be fired full auto. If it restricted DMRs it'd be less silly. I also don't think Body Expertise should be split the way it is; the basic amount is pretty much never worth it while Overkill basic is incredibly powerful and the ace is just a small bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

Body Expertise affecting bulldozers was too easily broken the way they did it, since DMRs can be fired full auto. If it restricted DMRs it'd be less silly. I also don't think Body Expertise should be split the way it is; the basic amount is pretty much never worth it while Overkill basic is incredibly powerful and the ace is just a small bonus as far as I'm concerned.
The really broken thing was Body Expertise + Critical Hits. You could, potentially, 3-shot a One Down Dozer in the rear end with a DMR - 37.5x damage is bit much.