Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vikar Jerome posted:

so according to their facebook page, that Rainway app is coming out "to all platforms" (which includes switch) on november 25th. looking forward to finally playing dark souls 3 all the way through on my nintendo switch.

Finally, a way to play Super Mario World on the latest Nintendo console

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

SNES classic looks good sure but what I really want them to do is re-release Super Mario World using the Mario Maker level of graphics + widescreen

I already made this on Mario Maker, except I couldn't make the cape so I just put a moving platform at the start of every level that allows you to sail over all my hard work

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is the UK SNES Classic PAL? If so, do all these people in the US realize they won't be able to use it?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I have $20 in eshop monies waiting to be spent. So after I finally get around to beating Blaster Master, should I get Shantae Half Genie Hero or should I get Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap? I will definitely get both in due time, just which is a more "must play" to pick up first?

Thanks!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Is the UK SNES Classic PAL? If so, do all these people in the US realize they won't be able to use it?

PAL is an analog standard and is no longer really relevant for any new hardware except when referring to PAL regions. The SNES Classic uses HDMI not RCA or any other analog technology.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Waltzing Along posted:

The SNES Classic uses HDMI, which isn't PAL. PAL, as a standard, doesn't exist anymore in modern set ups.

efb

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It will probably be at 50 hz which modern TVs should be able to handle.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Pretty sure they confirmed in one of the threads the UK classic will play at 60 hz.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Something they couldn't even do on VC :mad:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh right, they said all the ROMs that Nintendo totally legally downloaded will be the US versions.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Something they couldn't even do on VC :mad:
Pretty much all WiiU VC games are 60Hz editions. The SNES classic will be also.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

I have $20 in eshop monies waiting to be spent. So after I finally get around to beating Blaster Master, should I get Shantae Half Genie Hero or should I get Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap? I will definitely get both in due time, just which is a more "must play" to pick up first?

Thanks!

Wonderboy is very pretty, but the gameplay is untouched from the ball-crushing 80s original. They modernized the graphics but not the game. Shantae, however, is a pretty good modern platformer with a surprising amount of replay value and not very frustrating.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FireMrshlBill posted:

Thanks!

I'd say both are roughly equivalent. Wonderboy has more archaic design which can annoy some, while Shantae has more backtracking and collecting which can bother some. $20 won't be enough if you have sales tax for either, they're both $20 before tax.

If you're enjoying Blaster Master I would recommend Mighty Gunvolt Burst (same company, a Mega Man like game that's actually good) and Kamiko(a very short Zelda/hyper light drifter type game). That would total to $15 before tax

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

irlZaphod posted:

Pretty much all WiiU VC games are 60Hz editions. The SNES classic will be also.

Not Super Metroid which is all I really care about. A bunch of others are the PAL versions too.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Shantae Pro tip: just don't bother backtracking for collectibles until you have every possible transformation/action, unless someone in town specifically tells you to for progression purposes. I blew it every time I got a new transformation and went back through half or more of the levels seeing if they'd get me someplace new, and more often than not, they wouldn't. Do The Right Thing and just play through the game, then go collect poo poo.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Cojawfee posted:

As posted in the SNES classic thread:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nin...em-1238330.html

quote:

Please note: all games included in the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System are the original US 60 Hz releases.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Not Super Metroid which is all I really care about. A bunch of others are the PAL versions too.
poo poo, I didn't realise. There's a (small) number of WiiU VC games which aren't 60Hz versions.

http://davefrear.blogspot.ie/2014/01/the-wii-u-50hz-virtual-console-hall-of.html

It looks like the New 3DS VC version is the US version though:

quote:

Please note: Super Metroid on New Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console is available in English only.

This game on Wii U Virtual Console is the European version of the game, which was optimised originally by the developer to offer gameplay and music speed similar to the US version. Demos and animations may run at PAL speed. The aspect ratio has been corrected for this release.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Super-Nintendo/Super-Metroid-279613.html

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I would not take the SNES Classic as a sign that super fx games might come to the VC on any other Nintendo platform. They likely have to pay a per device license fee to emulate the chip, or have one with the same architecture baked into the device.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Raserys posted:

wasn't there a poster who had the avatar of samus flipping the bird to nintendo

where are they now

He was the goon that made let's plays of all three Metroid Prime games years ago as I recall.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Ohtsam posted:

I would not take the SNES Classic as a sign that super fx games might come to the VC on any other Nintendo platform. They likely have to pay a per device license fee to emulate the chip, or have one with the same architecture baked into the device.

Pretty sure it's just a cheap ARM board with software emulation.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Lol if you think rainway is coming out on the switch or PS4.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

EpicNemesis posted:

What changed? Two weeks back they announced successful testing. I'd be interested in anything newer.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Vikar Jerome posted:

so according to their facebook page, that Rainway app is coming out "to all platforms" (which includes switch) on november 25th. looking forward to finally playing dark souls 3 all the way through on my nintendo switch.

Nah

EpicNemesis posted:

yeah

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Well maybe when someone figures out how to Homebrew the Switch.

But no, Nintendo is not going to allow you to play games you bought in a way that didn't make them a cut.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That was the stodgy stuffed-up fun-hating Nintendo.

This is the new hip, cross-platform, NESflix, mid-life-crisis Nintendo.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I don't even own a Switch but I bought Cave Story because I want it with the extras before it inevitably goes out of print. The case size on these games is strangely satisfying.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kiranamos posted:

I don't even own a Switch but I bought Cave Story because I want it with the extras before it inevitably goes out of print. The case size on these games is strangely satisfying.

I think the new soundtrack is my favorite.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I recently picked up a Switch with Cave Story, Zelda, and Mario Kart. It's the first console I've bought since the original Wii, and first console games since Skyward Sword.

I opened Cave Story first and thought the printed manual was nice. I was shocked to find that Zelda and Mario Kart didn't come with one though, then I read about Wii U manuals and realized what happened.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Since the Switch now supports Pokken controllers and the updated mayflash GC to Wiiu adapter (though only 1 player), has anyone tried two Pokken controllers at the same time?

I spoke with the developer of the Blissbox 4 play earlier today and he is looking into what it will take to add a "Switch Pro Controller mode" to the firmware which would just open the flood gates atleast for vintage controllers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

fastbilly1 posted:

Since the Switch now supports Pokken controllers and the updated mayflash GC to Wiiu adapter (though only 1 player), has anyone tried two Pokken controllers at the same time?

I spoke with the developer of the Blissbox 4 play earlier today and he is looking into what it will take to add a "Switch Pro Controller mode" to the firmware which would just open the flood gates atleast for vintage controllers.

Hasn't 8Bitdo already figured out how to do that?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think the new soundtrack is my favorite.

Is that the remastered one or is there yet another for Switch?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Besides Stardew Valley...I wouldn't mind a Castle Crashers port. :pray:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Housh posted:

I wouldn't mind a Pit People port.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I opened Cave Story first and thought the printed manual was nice. I was shocked to find that Zelda and Mario Kart didn't come with one though, then I read about Wii U manuals and realized what happened.

This is across the board now, it's rare something comes with a physical manual.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

katkillad2 posted:

This is across the board now, it's rare something comes with a physical manual.

Not even PS4 games come with one, they are on the disk / part of the digital download. Unfortunately the people that need to read them most often are they ones that don't know how to access the manual.

More games need to point to the manual someplace easy to access in the game, preferably on the main menu.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kiranamos posted:

Is that the remastered one or is there yet another for Switch?

There’s a new 4th one that sounds like a more NESish version of the original called Famitracks. It also includes the original, the plus soundtrack and remastered.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Which one is the original?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

pixaal posted:

Not even PS4 games come with one, they are on the disk / part of the digital download. Unfortunately the people that need to read them most often are they ones that don't know how to access the manual.

More games need to point to the manual someplace easy to access in the game, preferably on the main menu.

Why print a manual when you can incorporate a non skipable 30 minute in game tutorial every time a new gameplay feature shows up?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I have never played Cave Story. I think I should get it for Switch cause it's supposed to be decent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I have never played Cave Story. I think I should get it for Switch cause it's supposed to be decent?

Check your steam library first but why not if you got the money. Its a good game

• Locked thread