Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I think most of the issue is that the guy submitted a quote under a fake company, which seems unnecessary since he already had two legit work quotes

e: I guess I misread the story since it sounds like it's from an actual company that just doesn't do this sort of work and had no intention of clearing the lot? I am pretty curious about the legality of that actually

It's still a fraudulent quote and makes no sense except that maybe he thought submitting the quote to an insurer legally bound him to use that company at that price point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
I (29 F) got pregnant by my much older boyfriend (64 M), who had told me he was infertile, the same week I planned on breaking up with him. I don't know what to do

quote:

I trusted my older boyfriend when he said he was infertile, now I'm pregnant with a man who's twice my age. I know it seems weird, but he was the epitome of the perfect man.....at first. Romantic and thoughtful. Attentive and patient. Hard working. He is a wonderful cook and surprises me with flowers, or washes my car. Does laundry. Just really sweet and involved. Also a great lover. I didn't know he was rich at first. I just thought he had his ducks in a row. I haven't used the man or taken any money or lavish gifts from him. It seems important to add that because people have just assumed its a sugar daddy deal. I developed very strong feelings for him and vise versa quickly. I enjoy, for once in my life, a good man to take care of me. Help me out. I've been raising a disabled child single for nearly 10 years. And its also nice to have a positive male role model incorporated in our lives.

Here's where it gets sticky...

The last few weeks I've been thinking of breaking it off. Now I see that overAll he is a good man but lately he has been driving me nuts. He is a perfectionist. Like OCD type. He can't relax for a minute, always doing some project or work. Also he knows it all. I feel like I'm a brand new employee being trained. . with everything we do. It makes me feel like a child. Like an idiot kid. He has become desperate to have a family of his own, a family he never had. He's been pushing me to move myself and my child in with him. I had told him time and time again that I am not ready for that. As the months continued, I have learned he is very well off financially. Investments in properties, classic show cars, and oil. He has referred to the idea that if we stay together he would leave his assets to me after he passes away . This conversation makes me uncomfortable. Anyways, so here I am 5 months later and I'm pregnant. Very recently pregnant. Probably only a few weeks. He doesn't know yet. He had told me before that he wasn't able to have kids due to his age....slow, weak swimmers. I feel like he has trapped me by trying to get me pregnant to have a family and take care of him in his old age. I know obviously I was ignorant and irresponsible by not being more careful with using protection 100% of the time. Funny how the timing works. I'm devising a plan to break up, only to find out I'm pregnant. Within literal days.

TL;DR I BELIEVED MY OLDER BOYFRIEND WHEN HE TOLD ME HE WAS INFERTILE AND ENDED UP PREGNANT WITHIN DAYS OF DECIDING TO BREAKUP. IM PREGNANT WITH A MAN TWICE MY AGE.

But he washes my car tho.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Time for a two for one abortion

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

La Brea Carpet posted:

IM PREGNANT WITH A MAN TWICE MY AGE.

new twist on the manchild bf genre

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
She claims this isn't a sugar daddy thing but she outlines her relationship only in what he does for her.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Milotic posted:

My GF [40F] asked me [38M],if she was the last woman I could see myself having sex with.

Normally I'd say there is only one answer to this, and even given the sexual background of the woman, given that she's 38 there's really only one answer to this.

sounds more like she's grooming him to open things up. "You can bang other ladies, it'll be fun" until he realizes way more women are reluctant to date dudes in open stuff than the other way around.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Get married, stress of having a kid will kill him, win win!

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Me [33 M] with my wife [32 F] Do I tell her that her mom is cheating on her dad?

quote:

Me and my wife are on vacation and her mom has been stopping by to feed our cats while we are gone. Now we love our cats and so before we left I setup an internet camera so when we miss them we can just watch the camera on our phones.

Last night my wife went to sleep and I was still up so I checked the camera to see what the cats were doing. But instead I see my MIL on the couch having sex with a man that is not my father in law. I didn't want to wake my wife and show her and ruin vacation, she's kind of a daddy's girl, and to be honest her dad likely isn't in healthy enough condition to even have sex so I kind of feel bad telling on her. But I know if I don't tell her and she finds out I knew she wouldn't be happy with me but also if her mom gets kicked out she won't have anywhere to go. Nobody knows I saw this so I'm kinda thinking I should just keep it to myself and pretend I never saw it but I also feel lovely doing this but feel like it's the best for everyone. What do you guys think?

tl;dr Saw MIL having sex with someone who isn't my FIL on my internet camera in house while I was away, don't know if I should tell my wife.

Edit: guess I left this out, FIL is so big he can barely move and he makes MIL wait on him hand and foot while refusing to do much to lose weight or get healthy. He orders her around and is lovely to her and she has always been the traditional wife, cooks dinner, waits on him, etc even though she has to work part time now because he is only getting a disability check because he's too big to stand up. He sits home all day while she goes to work then she comes home to wait on him. This is the only reason I feel bad for her and am considering keeping her secret.

Edit2: I guess I kind of feel like I'm screwed if I tell her or not, if I tell her she'll likely want to move her father to take care of him which I am not ok with at all. If I don't tell her and she finds out I knew it's also probably over.

Sounds like if he waits long enough this situation will solve itself.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Now THAT is a quality quandary.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hoooooly gently caress. Man I would be torn.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

My [27F] SO [30M] is a singer-songwriter, and I don't know how to deal with the personal nature of his songs.

quote:

My SO [30M] and I [27F] have been together for the better part of ten months or so, and despite the normal bumps in the road, we have a good relationship. We have often discussed the possibility of exploring a long-term future together, and he generally makes me very happy.

My SO is a musician; he works several odd jobs to support his dream of playing music full-time for now, and I have been to every show that he has played that's within driving distance of our neighborhood (we don't live together, just close together). He is incredibly talented, and has thanked me time an again for supporting him and his music.

However, I find that is descriptive nature of songwriting can be quite a double-edged sword, and every time he plays, I listen to him singing about being in love with other women, chasing other women, and sexual exploits with other women. I know about his past relationships and the songs are descriptive enough for me to know exactly who he is talking about, but I have always soothed any weird feelings with reminding myself that he wrote the songs before we even met. He also told me early on in our relationship that his music is HIS music and that he isn't going to censor himself for my sake. I thought this was fair.

Last night, I drove him to a show he had about an hour and a half away and hung out with him for the night. His set was beautiful, but he debuted a song near the end of his set about his ex (it had enough descriptive material to make it absolutely clear it was about her), featuring lines about the softness of her skin but feeling conflicted about it because he wanted to chase girls, and there was a girl that he wanted that she didn't even know about.

During this song, I felt my face flush with shame and embarrassment. I hated every second of it. I hated that he was still wistfully singing about wanting her, and I hated that the song talked about his own (potential? real?) infidelity. I spent the rest of the evening keeping up appearances for networking's sake, but I was and am crushed.

My question for all of you is this: Am I being sensitive? A friend suggested he could have written it a long time ago, but he told me over the last two weeks or so he was working on a brand new song, which leads me to believe it was recent. Am I overreacting? Or am I justified in feeling hurt and disrespected? What's the solution, if there is one? Do I just get over it or leave?

quote:

I guess my discomfort mostly comes from the fact that he sprung that song on me without telling me about it, and I have a suspicion that he knew it would upset me. He didn't tell me the set list beforehand, and he was hesitant to repeat the lyrics to me after the fact. I wish I didn't have to hear this song about his supposed infidelity for the first time in front of a bunch of people.

When he was hesitant to tell me his set list, I thought he was going to play the song he wrote for me! But instead I get hit with one about someone else. It was a tough night, and him telling me that he was going to sing a song about her could have softened the blow.

FWIW, I am a songwriter too (that's kind of how we met). I am nearly unable to reconcile why almost every song he has is about loving or wanting to gently caress other women... it kills me, and I don't understand it.

Ooh Katy Katy Kataayy
still wanna gently caress you Katy
never had puss like you girl,
certainly not from Mary

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 27, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Esoteric Scientist posted:

hi pick

I [27/m] saw my coworker's girlfriend do something really disgusting and couldn't shake her hand/look her in the eye. Now he's telling people I'm rude. What should I do?

redditor in question:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No one can prove what he saw. Fake ignorance imho.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

La Brea Carpet posted:

Me [33 M] with my wife [32 F] Do I tell her that her mom is cheating on her dad?

I'd be more bothered by the cat sitter loving randos on my furniture than the cheating.Tell the MIL not to gently caress in their house while they are gone.

Pick posted:

No one can prove what he saw. Fake ignorance imho.

We have a cat webcam for when we travel or are bored at work. It can be set to manually or automatically save pictures and video.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

La Brea Carpet posted:

I'm leaning toward "let it be" given that the dad is a huge pos

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Offer to help your FIL buy those diet pills that kill you

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dienes posted:

I'd be more bothered by the cat sitter loving randos on my furniture than the cheating.Tell the MIL not to gently caress in their house while they are gone.

We have a cat webcam for when we travel or are bored at work. It can be set to manually or automatically save pictures and video.

They can't prove he watched it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Barudak posted:

Offer to help your FIL buy those diet pills that kill you

That also sounds like a good way to end up with mom moving in. By this guy's calculus, you want them to die in quick succession if not simultaneously.

I think I'd leave it well alone. I'll save my kindnesses for folks for whom there's no path to moving in with me.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Why do guys say they will text and then don't?

quote:

I went on a first date with a guy from Tinder (coffee). We talked and talked and time ended up flying and we stayed there for four hours until the barista came over to tell us she was about to close the shop for the evening. At the end of the date he mentioned how great it was that the conversation flowed so well and he would definitely like to hang out soon. That he would text me over the weekend to set something up for later the following week. He completely took the lead on all this, but I told him I agreed. He told me usually his dates don't flow so well and how much he appreciated the great natural conversation, etc.

So yeah, the date went well! Or so it seemed, and so he indicated. But then he never texted.

Like if he was letting me off easy he could have just said "it was nice to meet you" and left it at that at the end of the date, but in this case he made specific commitments to when he would follow up and then never did.

I'm a little disappointed, but whatever. Maybe he met someone else he liked better, maybe he changed his mind, maybe something came up in his life...maybe I said something weird after he asked for the date, haha.

But it brought me up to a bigger question: why do guys say they are going to text and are interested, etc. and then don't? Men, is this something you do? What are some of the reasons you have done this in the past?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
You guys are losing your touch because the obvious solution to MIL cheating is to blackmail her into the best and weirdest threesome you could imagine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That also sounds like a good way to end up with mom moving in. By this guy's calculus, you want them to die in quick succession if not simultaneously.

I think I'd leave it well alone. I'll save my kindnesses for folks for whom there's no path to moving in with me.

Mom only wont have anywhere to go if she gets kicked out by the dad.

Much like Bruce Waynes parents have to die to make Batman, everyone in this story can only be happy if FIL dies.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My [27F] SO [30M] is a singer-songwriter, and I don't know how to deal with the personal nature of his songs.

Sounds like a Costco John Mayer.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

La Brea Carpet posted:

Say nothing and feign ignorance if discovered.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

Why do guys say they will text and then don't?

Its not unique to men, but it is a trait shared by people who cant dissapoint people and people who are terrified of imminent bodily harm if they dissapoint the crazy person theyve somehow gotten trapped in a confined space with.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Ooh Katy Katy Kataayy
still wanna gently caress you Katy
never had puss like you girl,
certainly not from Mary

Hahaha holy poo poo.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Should we [20s, M/F] say something to our roommate about his eating habits? [20M]

quote:

I changed all names because abbreviations started to confuse me.

My boyfriend and his flatmates are all early 20s, college students. At the moment, I've been living with my boyfriend. One of his flatmates, Carl, really loves to cook. Last semester, it wasn't uncommon for him to spend a good few hours cooking up tacos, beef stew, homemade pasta sauce, etc.

Last week, Carl's roommate noticed a pill bottle on Carl's desk prescribed for multiple vitamin and calcium deficiencies. For the past few weeks, we have all noticed that Carl has stopped cooking. Instead, he's been eating purely Cheezits. Just today, he took 2 bags of Cheezits into his room, and when I asked, confirmed that that was his dinner.

This is already the second or third box of Cheezits he's purchased in the past two months. I'm talking big, bulk-size from Costco. This box is already half empty, and it was replaced only just this week.

Should we say something to Carl? He is never in the apart during the day, and is very introverted. When he comes back, he basically stays in his room all the time and only comes out to pour himself a cup of water, or to grab more bags of Cheezits. I'm not sure how to approach him on this subject, considering just saying "Hi, how was your day" is already super difficult. What should we do?

TL;DR: Found out that one of our flatmates has some form of nutrient deficiency, but not sure how to approach him about it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I told my girlfriend about the farting rjmjob post and she was like dang you found it so uh

If she wants to tounge punch your fart box, you need to put a ring on it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

La Brea Carpet posted:

I'd probably talk to MIL about it first and maybe only her depending on how it went. Some poo poo you just take to your grave.

At the very least tell MIL to not gently caress on your couch/wherever else she hosed, go get a hotel like a normal cheater.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 28, 2017

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
i started bolding but there was more bold than not lol

My GF [24F] deleted important photos of mine and drunkenly berated me in front of her family/friends. She's promising anger managemnt but I don't know if I should stay.

quote:

Hi, posted a few days ago and after some great advice, I thought the issue was resolved, but yesterday things really blew up and I'm torn on what to do.

I'll try to keep this short.. My GF Katy was unhappy I wanted to keep pictures of this festival and two friends who I spent the weekend with, so I deleted them off the laptop and asked if I could store them on my uni flash drive I no longer use. She said she was happy I was willing to compromise and considered the matter closed.

That was until yesterday; Katy decided to join a get together with her parents and asked her law freinds to go along to their house. Things were going well and everyone had a bit to drink when someone bought up the topic of ex partners.. Katy's face changed and she started throwing passive agressive comments my way at which point I was getting anxious and tried to divert the topic. She kept going and eventually started screaming at me that I'm a dirty hippie who takes drugs and has threesomes (all of this in front of her parents who were mortified), also I've never done drugs, and I'm not a hippie (no offence to hippies). SHe wouldn't stop and after her friend stopped her screaming and we went into the kitchen, she let rip and told me there's a reason I was a virgin until I was 21, the only reason she was with me was because I have a six pack and soon I'll be overweight and disgusting like I used to be. Her mum at this point almost dragged her upstairs.

I apologised to her dad and then left. She knows my biggest insecurity and she beat me with it.. in front of freinds and her own family. She also confessed to finding the usb and deleting my photos. She's blown up my phone offering to go to anger management and begging for another chance. Is that enough? she has a temper but she's never done something like that. It reminded of me my dad when he got violently drunk and i don't know if its worth saying around.

I spoke to a freind and she wants me to move out and stay with her for a while as she thinks I'm prone to tolerating that sort of behaviour considering my past. But, if she does go to anger managment, could it help? It's my first relationship and i'm seriously unsure of what to do. I love her very much and even though I've changed physically and gained a lot of confidence over the last three years, I don't know if anyone could care about as much as her.

*Context on the pictures that started whole arguement and the drunken outburst: until I was 21 it was me being overweight, and socially isolating myself cause I felt so ashamed. No friends, no fun experiences and pretty much just self-loathing. I managed to change that after I graduated. I started taking anti-depressants, eating right and pushing myself. I lost all the excess weight and didn't stop till I had a six pack and decent hair cut. Then I wanted to fix the other part of my life so I started doing things I liked and getting out of my comfort zone. The most important thing I did was go to a festival. I ended up spending the weekend with two girls where I had a blast, lost my virginity and basically kick started my life. That's where the photos are from and why they matter to me, i don't look at them but they're from a really great part of my life that gave me a lot of confidence and allowed me to go on and get a nice job and eventually meet my wonderful GF.

Thanks in advance for any help.

UPDATE: Thanks everyone, and I know I should have listened and backed the photos up online. Luckily my friend still has them, and more that I didn't have and is gonna send them across. I've texted Katy and aplogised for being rude, then told her to gently caress off and never contact me again and to please get help for her anger. Will be going round to get my things soon. Staying would be an insult to my mum's memory who spent over 20 years been beaten by my dad. I deserve better.

Seriously. you guys are wonderful and have helped save me from years of misery. I'm very greatful.

tl;dr: GF deleted photos we agreed to compromise on, then screamed at me that I'll soon go back to being overweight and having no one in my life. She saying she'll have anger management and is begging for another chance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

La Brea Carpet posted:

IIRC it's not fraud if a company ends up coming under estimate and you pocket the difference.

It's fraud (deception), but nobody has standing legally because there weren't damages. I think.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

i started bolding but there was more bold than not lol

My GF [24F] deleted important photos of mine and drunkenly berated me in front of her family/friends. She's promising anger managemnt but I don't know if I should stay.

errrr shoulda gotten your poo poo THEN told her to gently caress off.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

MF_James posted:

errrr shoulda gotten your poo poo THEN told her to gently caress off.

nice job rook

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
That chick was crazy but keeping around photos of the first chick to bang you out at a music festival while you're dating someone else is a little iffy. I understand saving them, but having them out and explaining them? Nah.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
why is it considered bad for a 20 year old girl to have had sex with 10 guys so far?

quote:

having trouble getting into a relationship. apparently this is the problem?

Most people were like "Uh... it isn't?" but there's a few gem replies:

quote:

I don't know it just seems vulgar.

quote:

From a biological and psychological standpoint: The more partners a girl has the less capable of forming a real bond with one person she becomes. There is a direct correlation between high female partner count a high divorce rates. There are tons and tons of scientific data on this. But the current Crowlian public education and media system of "do what thou wilt" loves to disagree with reality. You'll get a mix of responses here; a bunch of "you go girl"s, some people may react in a nasty manner too, showing disgust. It kind of lowers your value as a prospective partner to anyone looking for a serious relationship because it shows you don't respect yourself and tend to go with the crowd, ie: make bad decisions based on media influence. It doesn't make you a bad person or anything. You've been in a system that works against you while pretending to be "on your side" and encouraging bad behavior in order to "liberate" you or some bs. But really, it's up to you on how you "feel" about having such a high partner count, especially at such a young age.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

maskenfreiheit posted:

why is it considered bad for a 20 year old girl to have had sex with 10 guys so far?

Most people were like "Uh... it isn't?" but there's a few gem replies:

What like at the same time or over the course of a couple years? :shrug:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

There is a direct correlation between high female partner count a high divorce rates.
Hm, there's clearly no confounding factors here. :biotruths: guy has it all figured out.

My [25 F] Dad [62 M] is hiding in the basement because I told him to go to the doctor

quote:

Hi everyone. This is going to be really long so thanks in advance.

Well, my dad has always been a jerk so I can't say I'm surprised about this. I'm just wondering if this is emotionally abusive or what.

This all started on Christmas. My maternal grandmother got sick and my mother and my aunts talked about taking her to the doctor. They decide to wait a bit since she doesn't seem too bad. A couple weeks after Christmas she gets worse and they rush her to the hospital. She's in the hospice unit right now.

In the meantime my dad is sick and he just refuses to go to the doctor. He's retired and he never leaves the house, but he usually goes to the doctor. This time he didn't bother to take care of his cold.

Obviously with my grandma in the hospital my mom is depressed. One morning my dad kept asking her about whether he should get rid of the Costco member card or not. It's really the last thing she wanted to talk about while her mother is dying so she snapped "Why would you do that?!" And then he lost it, screaming at her that she's rude and making her cry, saying "All you know how to do is cry!" I ran downstairs to comfort her, ignoring him. She left for work in tears. She's in a bad place, why would you yell at her like that?

The next day my dad still wasn't talking to my mom. He just sat there on his laptop at the dining room table and coughing. He's been coughing for 2 weeks at this point. It's annoying, he coughs until 4 am every night. My mom asked him to go to the doctor but he didn't, because he was mad at her.

This is where I screwed up I guess... After he kept coughing all night I got annoyed and told him, "Aren't you going to the doctor?" He said, "Nah." So I said, "You've been coughing for two weeks. It keeps everyone up at night. Grandma's in the hospital, too. If one of us catches your cold and we give it to her while we visit her, she's going to die. You have to be considerate of other people."

I never say much to him besides "hi" and "goodnight" each day. I really don't like my dad because he treats my mom like garbage. He's always barking at her or ignoring her or yelling at her. I only acknowledge him to keep the peace at home. Anyway, he said, "how am I being inconsiderate?" So I just repeated what I said again. He said, "Then I'll go to a hotel for two weeks until the cold is gone." Wtf just go to the doctor....?

After that he packed up his laptop and went to the basement. He's been there ever since. My mom always prepares his breakfast lunch and dinner but he doesn't eat. He hasn't eaten her meals for 4 days now? However if she doesn't prepare the plate he gets angry. He probably orders food while my mom and I are out at the hospice visiting my grandma. We spend all day there.

My mom goes downstairs every day to feed him but he doesn't eat and he just yells at her. He said that she brainwashed me into disrespecting him. And that he's going to only think about himself from now on. He said he'd take his passport and go back to his home country. (I don't think he knows where his passport is. My mom always packs his suitcase and passport when he travels.) He also said he'd take my mom and I off his will. He said my mom made me into what she wanted, so she got what she wanted, for me to hate him. I couldn't even say anything to that nonsense.

My mom is so depressed, dealing with this selfish behavior while her mother is dying. She wrote me a little apology speech to give to my dad. I love her so I did it for her. I memorized the speech and went to the basement and got on my knees. My dad jerked away from me and looked at me with so much hate... But I said, "I'm sorry I disrespected you. I only wanted you to go to the doctor." Of course he didn't accept that apology and just said that I spoke to him like he wasn't my father and just some stranger on the street. I just got up and went back upstairs and went with my mom to the hospice.

It's like no one's ever told him he was wrong before. I just think he's being selfish and just totally overreacting. He's always been like this but to be like this while my mother is losing her own mother is just wrong.

I regret saying anything to him because now he's making my mom suffer. My mom doesn't talk to me much, either. I think she's mad at me for saying something to him. I don't care about him at all but I feel so sad my mom is upset with me. It's my 25th birthday today but I doubt he'll say happy birthday to me. I've started looking for apartments since I can't take the stress of walking on eggshells in my own home. In my culture girls stay at home until they're married but I can't take him anymore. Even if I was rude to him his reaction is extreme.

My mom said that my dad's just hurt and he'll go to the doctor and come out of the basement eventually. She's a more lovely and understanding person than I could ever hope to be.

edit: A side-story: When I was 19 I posted a picture of me and my then boyfriend hugging on facebook. My dad saw it and yelled at my mom and didn't talk to us for like 3 months. I've since deleted my facebook... lol.

tl;dr: I told my dad he was being inconsiderate by not taking himself to the doctor and taking care of his contagious cold while my grandma is in the hospice unit. He flipped out and hasn't left our basement in days. Was I really disrespectful or is my dad overreacting?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
ymmv but I've typically found that people who haven't already had a ton of relationships tend to be more dedicated to their current partner and more willing to work through stuff rather than just breaking things off and moving on. When you get too attached to that cycle of thinking the new guy/gal is perfect and just diving into being way too attached, then breaking up at the first sign they aren't before moving onto the next one, you end up being the kind of person who's never satisfied and always looking for that new relationship rush. We've seen several examples itt of people with that perspective.

Of course the flipside of that is the people who just latch onto the first one that will have em and end up toughing things out through a lovely relationship that they could certainly do better than because they don't know any better/have the self confidence. So who knows maybe there isn't a good path to take and it just boils down to chance of whether or not you meet someone you could spend the rest off your life without so much baggage you ruin it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Haifisch posted:

Hm, there's clearly no confounding factors here. :biotruths: guy has it all figured out.

My [25 F] Dad [62 M] is hiding in the basement because I told him to go to the doctor

Sounds like someone is poopy because they aren't getting all the attention.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

"If you won't respect me and wait on me hand and foot then I'll just go stay in a hotel!"
*goes downstairs, stays there*

What's his username?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

I Was The Fury posted:

"If you won't respect me and wait on me hand and foot then I'll just go stay in a hotel!"
*goes downstairs, stays there*

What's his username?

it's me, i'm the basement dad

in a way, we all are