Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Lurkman posted:

I think you can also access Crystal Peak by using the toll machine that can only be accessed if you have the lantern, to open a gate.

Yeah, The method spoilered above works just fine for getting to the peak.

I skipped him the first time and then went back to him very late in the game. You can get to every zone in the game pretty much. There are a few secrets and like a bench you can't get but pretty much everything else has an alternate route. So you can at least get the first ending without ever stepping into soul sanctum.

Actually you can skip almost every encounter in the game if you know how. There's only like 3 mandatory fights.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I finished White Palace. I agree that it's a more difficult area than should be needed for the true ending, but it was definitely not so bad that it ruined the rest of this amazing game for me. Hiveblood + grubsong + deep focus were helpful.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah, The method spoilered above works just fine for getting to the peak.

I skipped him the first time and then went back to him very late in the game. You can get to every zone in the game pretty much. There are a few secrets and like a bench you can't get but pretty much everything else has an alternate route. So you can at least get the first ending without ever stepping into soul sanctum.

Actually you can skip almost every encounter in the game if you know how. There's only like 3 mandatory fights.

When I got the first ending I did it while skipping the entirety of Kingdom's Edge. This is pretty goofy because it means no Shade Soul, which means you can't dash past giant spiders. Going the awkward way through Fog Canyon does mean that when I got Ghastly Shriek I could upgrade it as soon as I got to the Abyss though, instead of potentially having to backtrack more than once!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

bewilderment posted:

When I got the first ending I did it while skipping the entirety of Kingdom's Edge. This is pretty goofy because it means no Shade Soul, which means you can't dash past giant spiders. Going the awkward way through Fog Canyon does mean that when I got Ghastly Shriek I could upgrade it as soon as I got to the Abyss though, instead of potentially having to backtrack more than once!

I'm pretty sure 99% of people ended up going through Deepnest before the Abyss. I don't think the devs expected shade cloak to be the answer most people would turn to in order to deal with those spiders. There's quite a few ways to handle them that don't require any advanced upgrades. They are pretty dangerous cause of the double damage but once you get their pattern down they are pretty straight forward.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 26, 2017

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
My tips for bewilderment: go to deepnest, fight nosk for the Pale Ore, get other ores, upgrade your nail to ridiculous levels and now fight the bosses.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I did find myself in Deepnest, but completely by accident. I think the ground under me gave in as I was walking and I fell into a big hole. It was dark and terrifying at the bottom and I got out as quickly as I could!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I'm only a little further, but falling into Deepnest before buying the firefly lamp has been my single rancid egg resurrection so far.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'd like to see some no-firefly runs, and, ooh, no bench run.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

I want to say that even though nosk is the creepiest boss in the game, he's really easy. gently caress deepnest though

Whats the consensus on the creepiest zone in the game though? I feel its soul sanctum, with the reveal at the end, a mass grave, after soul tyrant being a great and scary moment, where you might wonder if the King signed off on processing bugs for soul or not

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Wild Horses posted:

Whats the consensus on the creepiest zone in the game though? I feel its soul sanctum, with the reveal at the end, a mass grave, after soul tyrant being a great and scary moment, where you might wonder if the King signed off on processing bugs for soul or not

Abyss. And it's not even close. The ambience is freaky as hell.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Lakitu7 posted:

I finished White Palace. I agree that it's a more difficult area than should be needed for the true ending, but it was definitely not so bad that it ruined the rest of this amazing game for me. Hiveblood + grubsong + deep focus were helpful.

Holy poo poo, I totally forgot about that but that was easily the worst part of the game for me. Who the gently caress decided to turn it into a Super Meat Boy level for no reason?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Because platforming is fun.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
This thread. This thread never changes :allears: .

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

skasion posted:

Abyss. And it's not even close. The ambience is freaky as hell.

fair enough, the ambience and mood was fantastic, and the flashback chase of the Hollow Knight up to the gate gave me shudders with the king's words..
drat if the feeling didn't get me though after the boss in soul sanctum. Like, "oh poo poo they buried bodies in the floor here, thats crazy.."
Then you keep going until you get to a chamber where literally the walls and floors you step on are corpses. Thousands of dead. That's the low point of hallownest for sure.

Edit: What Im trying to say is i really appreciate the work that went into this game. It blows me away

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 26, 2017

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

SirSamVimes posted:

You have four options that I can see.

1) Beat the Soul Master, get a new powerup.
2) Go to the bottom of the Mantis Village for another boss fight that gives one of the best charms in the game and unlocks access to another zone.
3) Use a Simple Key (there are two available by now, one sold by Sly and the other sitting around in the City of Tears) at room to the left of the big fountain to unlock access to the Royal Waterways
4) Sell whatever relics you have to Lemm and buy a Lumafly Lantern, giving you access to Crystal Peak.

A bit late, but I'm pretty sure you also have

5) Go back to where you started the game and keep going left. You'll enter a secret path you need the Mantis Claw to climb, which takes you to the Howling Cliffs.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

dancingbears posted:

A bit late, but I'm pretty sure you also have

5) Go back to where you started the game and keep going left. You'll enter a secret path you need the Mantis Claw to climb, which takes you to the Howling Cliffs.

Howling Cliffs doesn't lead to any kind of meaningful progression though. At that point in the game you'll get, what, a King's Idol to sell, Joni's Blessing charm, and maybe there's a grub or two around but otherwise you're back where you started without much to show for it.

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

bewilderment posted:

Howling Cliffs doesn't lead to any kind of meaningful progression though. At that point in the game you'll get, what, a King's Idol to sell, Joni's Blessing charm, and maybe there's a grub or two around but otherwise you're back where you started without much to show for it.

And a nail art.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Alright, I've explored a poo poo ton, managed to get my hands on monarch wings (thank god the walk back for that boss fight is quick...) then got a pale ore and upgraded my nail to tier 3.

I found there is more of the city to explore so I think I'll do that.

I do keep losing my money due to deaths, but fortunately the various junk you sell to the collector remains with you, so that's how I make most of my money. I also found the bank, which is helpful (although the 4500 limit is lovely).

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

I do keep losing my money due to deaths, but fortunately the various junk you sell to the collector remains with you, so that's how I make most of my money. I also found the bank, which is helpful (although the 4500 limit is lovely).

yeah that is the lovely part lol

nice to have a bank tho

seen deepnest yet?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wild Horses posted:

yeah that is the lovely part lmao

lol :twisted:

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I don't understand why people are complaining about a completely optional part of the game that is meant to be challenging. 1) that part of the game is great, 2) it's just challenging enough without being crazy, and 3) you can use powers to cheese it, like using the regenerating health charm.

If anything you should be complaining about the final coliseum challenge, which is far more difficult and harder to cheese.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

n4 posted:

I don't understand why people are complaining about a completely optional part of the game that is meant to be challenging. 1) that part of the game is great, 2) it's just challenging enough without being crazy, and 3) you can use powers to cheese it, like using the regenerating health charm.

If anything you should be complaining about the final coliseum challenge, which is far more difficult and harder to cheese.

I think the difference is that the final coliseum only awards an achievement and is not required for the true ending. So in that sense they aren't comparable.

I think the white palace is pretty cool overall though. Also, I suspect the true final boss takes people more time on average than getting through the palace does.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

n4 posted:

I don't understand why people are complaining about a completely optional part of the game

Well if you read the thread you'd see a lot of people addressing this point.

JuniperCake posted:

I think the difference is that the final coliseum only awards an achievement and is not required for the true ending. So in that sense they aren't comparable.

I think the white palace is pretty cool overall though. Also, I suspect the true final boss takes people more time on average than getting through the palace does.

The final boss didn't take me nearly as long as White Palace. That only took probably about 30-45 minutes while I was stuck in White Palace for hours.

The Colosseum took way longer than both but I had tons of fun with the Colosseum so I didn't mind.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

n4 posted:

Nothing of value is gated behind the Coliseum, which is how it should have been for the White Palace if they really wanted an area like that. Plus, would it have killed them to stick all the sawblades and poo poo in an area that actually makes sense, rather then the former palace hallways being deathtraps for no apparent reason? The area design for the rest of the game is pretty loving superb, which makes the Palace all the more baffling.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I always thought you were cracking into a heavily-fortified mind and it wasn't a literal interpretation of what the palace was like in reality

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

that's some inception type poo poo

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am ashamed at how long it took me to figure out how the bouncy mushrooms work

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Awesome! posted:

That is the one thing I had to look up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

I always thought you were cracking into a heavily-fortified mind and it wasn't a literal interpretation of what the palace was like in reality

This makes sense but the constant BZZZZZZZZZ of sawblades really kills the atmosphere. Should of just made them magical traps or something.

Awesome! posted:

guppy posted:

Same :downs:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I liked to think that the king was so paranoid about the plague that he had his entire palace fitted with spikes and sawblades and he sat at the top all "okay, I think I'm good now".

Then an errant sawblade cut a supporting pillar and that's why the present palace is in rubble.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

I liked to think that the king was so paranoid about the plague that he had his entire palace fitted with spikes and sawblades and he sat at the top all "okay, I think I'm good now".

Then an errant sawblade cut a supporting pillar and that's why the present palace is in rubble.

He whisked the entire thing away to a separate dimension where infection couldn't reach. If he suicided or not is unclear

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

guppy posted:

i ran around everywhere for like an hour convinced i had missed some double jump upgrade or something. finally i had a lightbulb moment and let out a very audible "ooohhhhh" :downs:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Did any of you actually play Super Meat Boy. Just the presence of saw blades doesn't mean it's a Super Meat Boy level.

anyway refer to my previous posts for why whining about White Palace makes you a baby.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Did I miss something in Deepnest? I was at a loss for where to progress & saw a post about getting the Pale Ore from Deepnest.

I found a few benches, Harrah The Beast, and the Dream Nail, but didn't fight a boss. Maybe the path to the right of the bottom-most bench? I'll check it out

e: Or the Weaver's Den but that place looked tough

e: Pale King eh? Found em. What's with the fountain though? Don't really want to throw money in a fountain lol

e: Wow, the other side of the City of Tears!

myDad fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 28, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

myDad posted:

Did I miss something in Deepnest? I was at a loss for where to progress & saw a post about getting the Pale Ore from Deepnest.

I found a few benches, Harrah The Beast, and the Dream Nail, but didn't fight a boss. Maybe the path to the right of the bottom-most bench? I'll check it out

e: Or the Weaver's Den but that place looked tough

e: Pale King eh? Found em. What's with the fountain though? Don't really want to throw money in a fountain lol

The Deepnest Pale Ore is behind a hidden wall in the room to the left of the hot springs.

The fountain gives you a vessel fragment

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

SirSamVimes posted:

The Deepnest Pale Ore is behind a hidden wall in the room to the left of the hot springs.

The fountain gives you a vessel fragment

Ah cool I totally missed that. Found a bunch of new dead-ends, but I guess I can challenge the 3 big bosses now & hopefully get some upgrades to progress

e: surprised the Beast, Teacher, and Whatever aren't boss battles

myDad fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 28, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

myDad posted:

Ah cool I totally missed that. Found a bunch of new dead-ends, but I guess I can challenge the 3 big bosses now & hopefully get some upgrades to progress

This was certainly an interesting decision by the developers. I was a bit let down the first time I got to one. I wonder if that was always part of the design -- the game definitely spends a good bit of time building them up as these legendary godlike figures and then...you just beat their comatose asses to pulp and suck their unresisting souls out. :smith:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

myDad posted:

It's possible they just ran out of time. I believe there were a few boss battles that were definitely cut (the knight that kept guard over the white lady I think was one such fight)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Has anyone tried using the dream nail in a dream warrior fight?

It appears likely by their design that the dreamers were never going to be bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Wow Soul Master v2 is no joke

e: Got em!

e: Okay, Soul Tyrant is terrifying

myDad fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 28, 2017