Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The actually distinct version of WW is too real for Hollywood so she pretty much has to be Xena. I fear Black Panther, great cast aside, will be utterly basic as well. The world's not ready for a militant radical black superhero (as opposed to a stoic monarch), just like they're not ready for the femdom superheroine.

Agreed. While I would have liked a Wonder Woman with just a little more bite, I can respect that they had to be careful, as too much "in your face" feminism will intimidate the manbabies out there (a la Ghostbusters). And considering it is her first outing, it's understandable they want a few movies of playing her straight before starting to veer into more controversial waters. The drawback to that is of course that the movie will be a bit less interesting, but apparently that sells, so *shrug*

But I think we can all agree having a scene like this in the movie would be loving awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ3IvqsJaVo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ghostbusters wasn't in your face feminism, it was a director pointing a camera in static shots and making his actors improvise a bunch because he doesn't believe in scripts, then haphazardly editing that into some semblance of a film. Take four of the most talented comedians in Hollywood and completely wasting their talents.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 27, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ghostbusters wasn't in your face feminism, it was a director pointing a camera in static shots and making his actors improvise a bunch because he doesn't believe in scripts, then haphazardly editing that into some semblance of a film.

Every interview with that guy he just came off as some smug rear end in a top hat. So much talent on screen in that film and they have no direction or anything to work with. What a waste.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sorry to continue the derail one more time but with that cast that movie should have been so loving good. I funny think Feig is completely to blame, I loving loved Spy. It's just such a waste of talent in this case.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

McCloud posted:

feminism will intimidate the manbabies out there (a la Ghostbusters).

Just out of curiosity, what do you think feminism is?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I saw GB in a theater filled with girl scouts who had an absolute blast watching it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

McCloud posted:

But I think we can all agree having a scene like this in the movie would be loving awesome:

One of the great moments in superhero animation !

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MacheteZombie posted:

I saw GB in a theater filled with girl scouts who had an absolute blast watching it.

Well they were probably kids, and all kids are morons. My kid loved Monster Trucks.

vvvv not just an own, a self own (or a self child own), the best kind of own

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 27, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
owned

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

That lasso definitely should have seen more action.

Not sure where in the film you'd put it but imagine her snaring a German soldier and grilling him about why he's fighting and killing for Ares. They had to have had that come up int he writers room.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well she did try that with the one dude who took a cyanide capsule.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

McCloud posted:

Agreed. While I would have liked a Wonder Woman with just a little more bite, I can respect that they had to be careful, as too much "in your face" feminism will intimidate the manbabies out there (a la Ghostbusters). And considering it is her first outing, it's understandable they want a few movies of playing her straight before starting to veer into more controversial waters. The drawback to that is of course that the movie will be a bit less interesting, but apparently that sells, so *shrug*

The other thing is she is a lot more snarky in BvS in how she speaks to Batfleck - very unlike her more earnest, and innocent nature in this movie. Like you said, work her up into that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Sorry to continue the derail one more time but with that cast that movie should have been so loving good. I funny think Feig is completely to blame, I loving loved Spy. It's just such a waste of talent in this case.

Yeah, I like Spy and The Heat. I don't know if it's just Feig, though, it felt like the PG-13 rating hurt. I think Melissa McCarthy's ad libbing works better when she's allowed to be crude and bawdy. And, of course, ad libbing with a CGI ghost that isn't there yet and therefore gives you nothing to work with can't be easy.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The more i think about it more that the last fight scene was extremely anime. Like straight up DBZ. They talk for a while, someone flies at the other one, punches are exchanged, more talking, more floating around, and it ends with a straight up kamehameha. I would have liked it had this been what the Dragon Ball live action movie turned into. As it was in this movie is was more eehhhhhhhh but it was Wonder Woman so I cut it a hell of a lot of slack.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Kelly posted:

The other thing is she is a lot more snarky in BvS in how she speaks to Batfleck - very unlike her more earnest, and innocent nature in this movie. Like you said, work her up into that.
Like I mentioned earlier, compare her shocked "You mean you were lying?!?!" line to Steve when they leave the meeting with the generals to her casual "Is it still stealing if you steal from another thief?" question to Bruce Wayne when he's asking her about taking the flash drive in BvS.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

MariusLecter posted:

Not sure where in the film you'd put it but imagine her snaring a German soldier and grilling him about why he's fighting and killing for Ares. They had to have had that come up int he writers room.

The water jug scene from Sicario but it's Diana holding this fiery rope that hasn't been introduced yet.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Kelly posted:

I loved her in BvS, their banter and chemistry was gold. She's totally immune to his charm and he comes of as more of a batboy than a batman.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do you think feminism is?

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/feminism

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Glagha posted:

The more i think about it more that the last fight scene was extremely anime. Like straight up DBZ. They talk for a while, someone flies at the other one, punches are exchanged, more talking, more floating around, and it ends with a straight up kamehameha. I would have liked it had this been what the Dragon Ball live action movie turned into. As it was in this movie is was more eehhhhhhhh but it was Wonder Woman so I cut it a hell of a lot of slack.
Krillin even got blown up to let her go Super Saiyan.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

That lasso definitely should have seen more action.

I do appreciate it doubled as a whip.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Glagha posted:

Yeah the whole "I win button"/super saiyan fight when she kills like 60 soldiers was pretty stupid as well. They couldn't be bothered to do another choreographed fight or something so they just made a really lazy fight that sucked horribly compared to watching her use her kick rear end warrior skills. That and the final fight weren't all that great at all. Still, film was solid with 2 good acts and I liked Dr.Poison, at least her look.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

lol. You had to look it up? Femdom indeed.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Yeah the whole "I win button"/super saiyan fight when she kills like 60 soldiers was pretty stupid as well. They couldn't be bothered to do another choreographed fight or something so they just made a really lazy fight that sucked horribly compared to watching her use her kick rear end warrior skills. That and the final fight weren't all that great at all. Still, film was solid with 2 good acts and I liked Dr.Poison, at least her look.

In fairness to Wonder Woman's action petering out in quality towards the end as compared to the Superman movies, some of that is presumably from Man of Steel and Batman v Superman having an extra $75-100 million in budget. Suicide Squad had $25 million more than WW and had no good action, so it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Presumably Wonder Woman 2 will have a bigger budget to work with and Patty Jenkins will have learned from the experience of having gotten to make a second movie, so it can be even better.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
When a character murders fifty people in like three seconds, that's not a fight scene. That's a massacre scene.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

In fairness to Wonder Woman's action petering out in quality towards the end as compared to the Superman movies, some of that is presumably from Man of Steel and Batman v Superman having an extra $75-100 million in budget. Suicide Squad had $25 million more than WW and had no good action, so it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Presumably Wonder Woman 2 will have a bigger budget to work with and Patty Jenkins will have learned from the experience of having gotten to make a second movie, so it can be even better.

Holy poo poo they spent more on SS? Lol what a mess.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

lol. You had to look it up? Femdom indeed.

Sorry, did you have a point?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

McCloud posted:

On the top of my head.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MarcusSA posted:

Holy poo poo they spent more on SS? Lol what a mess.

WW wishes it had character moments as strong as SS.

McCloud posted:

Pretty sure it was this.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?lang=en

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nah, it was his attempt to compare the new ghostbusters to wonder woman.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Nah, it was his attempt to compare the new ghostbusters to wonder woman.

What exactly do you think I meant by comparing those two?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

McCloud posted:

What exactly do you think I meant by comparing those two?

I just think WW was a much better movie if you want to go with a feminism angle.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

I just think WW was a much better movie if you want to go with a feminism angle.

This isn't a a contest of which movie has the best feminism cred, neither did I mean to imply anything of the sort. What I meant was that the Ghostbusters movie, a reboot of of a movie very popular amongst white males, caught a lot of poo poo because it dared to cast 4 women (who didn't look like supermodels). That's literally all it took to get people up in arms over the movie, and I can bet you the people behind Wonder Woman paid a lot of attention to the reactions Ghostbusters got and tried extra hard not to say or include anything too controversial.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Also, directing action is really loving hard, as evidenced by how many completely mediocre action movies there are, even ones with big budgets. I mean, They're just hurling money at the MCU now and it hasn't produced one fight scene that's on par with, say, Batman vs Room full of thugs, or the Smallville fight. Snyder has had a decade and a half to refine his action directing skills. Jenkins has not.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, directing action is really loving hard, as evidenced by how many completely mediocre action movies there are, even ones with big budgets. I mean, They're just hurling money at the MCU now and it hasn't produced one fight scene that's on par with, say, Batman vs Room full of thugs, or the Smallville fight. Snyder has had a decade and a half to refine his action directing skills. Jenkins has not.

Movie MCU or TV because Daredevil would like a word with you about the fight scenes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Movie MCU or TV because Daredevil would like a word with you about the fight scenes.

Nah, even they're a significant step down from they're imitating (the Raid and Oldboy, mostly). The best fight fight scene is still loving languidly paced like most extended take fight scenes. Also, with action as a story telling device, he gets exhausted through the course of that scene, forcing him to fall back on his extremely acrobatic spin kicks, just like a tired person would. Honestly, I'm not even convinced it's better than Arrow's fight scenes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It is funny how much people freaked out at Batman killing some genocidal war criminal paramilitary spec ops in self defense and to save a life, but Wonder Woman freaking out and using Flash-like superspeed to kill dozens of jerries mostly guilty of being pawns in a war they don't understand = AOK no problem.

Of course WW in comics is the one that will kill sometimes if she has to, but not like that. Superman gets knocked through some buildings not by choice and snaps one neck and he's a bloodthirsty grimdark psychopath. Wonder Woman has a breakdown and murders dozens, FINALLY an optimistic movie now that we're free of Zack Snyder's murderverse!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Snowman_McK posted:

Honestly, I'm not even convinced it's better than Arrow's fight scenes.

I gotta strongly disagree. Arrow's fights look like choreographed dance scenes at best. Lots of stupid, nonsensical flipping and obvious whiffs. Daredevil's fights had a brutality and weight to them Arrow has never touched. Agents of SHIELD has better (if fewer) fight scenes than Arrow.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
IronFistBoxFactorty.gif

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, even they're a significant step down from they're imitating (the Raid and Oldboy, mostly). The best fight fight scene is still loving languidly paced like most extended take fight scenes. Also, with action as a story telling device, he gets exhausted through the course of that scene, forcing him to fall back on his extremely acrobatic spin kicks, just like a tired person would. Honestly, I'm not even convinced it's better than Arrow's fight scenes.

Dude, tired people with awesome mystical ninja training totally fall back on simple acrobatic spinning kicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I gotta strongly disagree. Arrow's fights look like choreographed dance scenes at best. Lots of stupid, nonsensical flipping and obvious whiffs. Daredevil's fights had a brutality and weight to them Arrow has never touched. Agents of SHIELD has better (if fewer) fight scenes than Arrow.

Really, they just have different problems. Arrow cuts constantly, as if they have no faith in their actors' physical abilities (and those cuts make it impossible to tell if this is justified) Daredevil's tend to be really static. There's no footwork, there's no movement. Each little exchange or stanza takes place on a small square that both players are taped to. This is understandable, footwork is a hard thing for actual professional fighters to learn. Or they just drag out, as Daredevil wails on the guy (to emphasise brutality) while there's three more baddies just waiting.

Either way, they aren't even as good as the zero budget Indonesian and Thai films and mid-budgeted Korean films they're working very hard to emulate.

• Locked thread