Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Itzena posted:

Next Doctor is going to be played by Pearl Mackie and she's going to take that form as a reminder that the Master is irredeemable, and that promises should be kept. :v:

Nah, too predictable. He'll regenerate into Bill's mum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently read this kind of "alternate history" story about different actors playing the Doctor, and got to thinking, if the Daleks had never appeared in Doctor Who, would it have lasted? I'm pretty sure the Daleks were what "made" the show in its very early days.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

jivjov posted:

Yeah, even knowing the Cyberman reveal was coming, the hospital full of partial converts only saying "pain pain pain" and "kill me" was genuinely unsettling.

I thought it was "Die"-"Me", but yeah, it was genuinely fantastic.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I want an alternate history where Mr Razor was the disguise of Harriet Jones, former Prime Minister.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

TinTower posted:

I want an alternate history where Mr Razor was the disguise of Harriet Jones, former Prime Minister.

Yes, we know who you are!

Aha but (rips off mask) DO YOU?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Murderion posted:

Nah, too predictable. He'll regenerate into Bill's mum.

This would be great.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I like how this episode finally closed the book on what The Doctors real name is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

thrawn527 posted:

This is true, but, and I never would have imagined this, I really enjoyed how RTD the "Prime Minister" line and delivery was. It felt...familiar, and comfortable.

Haha yeah, also loved that little b-movie zoom-in on his face after the reveal :xd:

Hearing his music was great too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Haha yeah, also loved that little b-movie zoom-in on his face after the reveal :xd:

Hearing his music was great too.

I agree with some of the complaints about the promotional materials spoiling it, but I really loved that it was obvious who the Master was. The thinly veiled joy at the campy, weird-accent disguise is just fun. He feels like this awesome Delgado/Ainley/Simm Master mix and I really look forward to watching Michelle Gomez riff on it.

On another note, rewatching the old show and getting to School Reunion has made me come to the following conclusion: K-9 is a joke that never gets old and John Leeson has excellent comedic timing. The "We... are in... a car" scene made me want to watch the Fourth Doctor era again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

AndyElusive posted:

I like how this episode finally closed the book on what The Doctors real name is.

Only if it makes people really mad.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Only if it makes people really mad.

I like it either way, it was a good joke, and it's exactly the kind of "Wait, really?" sort of pranks that people pull on the person they think is the newbie in the group.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

docbeard posted:

For the record: I know Three only has like one audio that features them

The Blue Tooth is a Three Companion Chronicle that actually does something a little different with the Cybermen concept.

EDIT - Oh, going by the Wikipedia page, that's probably the one you were talking about. Still worth a listen!

After The War fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 28, 2017

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Is the Doctor and Bill's conversation about the Doctor's gender a tangent we should pay attention to?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shneak posted:

Is the Doctor and Bill's conversation about the Doctor's gender a tangent we should pay attention to?

BBC has no interest in casting a woman in the role, they're dead-set on hiring another Tennant because they think that'll be more marketable. This isn't personal speculation, it's basically been confirmed by several sources close to production including someone who posts here.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah it was probably just priming new viewers to be aware that the Master could be a man, so it's not out of left field.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I felt it was clear they were covering fire for when they hire Tennant '18.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Tennant with a Scottish accent.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shneak posted:

Whatever issues anyone might have with Moffat, I think that was actually quite good. The Doctor's high and mighty assertion that they were well beyond the petty human concepts of gender acknowledges how backward the whole thing is, but Bill's comeback (and the Doctor's inability to actually address it) allow us to accept that the longstanding show hasn't always been (and maybe isn't even now) particularly progressive with regard to sex or gender. It's a way of stating what the ideal is while acknowledging that any writer embedded in this culture is not going to reach that ideal.

Moffat's frequent comments into a hot mic make it easy to interpret his own writing as obnoxiously obtuse when it comes to those kinds of issues, but I can't say, after watching an episode in which the Doctor tells Mickey he screamed "like a little girl, I'm talking pigtails," that Russell Davies, script for script, is much better.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
I've always found it interesting that while One didn't recognise the Daleks on first meeting them, he totally knew about the Mondasians, and seemed pretty terrified at the idea.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I've always found it interesting that while One didn't recognise the Daleks on first meeting them, he totally knew about the Mondasians, and seemed pretty terrified at the idea.

I've always chalked that up to him changing time and history. Especially going out of control in the TARDIS like he was.

You can see how he changes time by just watching the show in order. Before he showed up, the Daleks did not know that life existed beyond the stars. After he shows up, they KNOW that there is non Dalek life out there, and it must be EXTERMINATED.

The Cybermen were already space fairing folk before the Doctor met them, so the Time Lords knew about them ahead of time. Daleks? They stuck to their dumb little dead world and did gently caress all, who cares.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

What do you think Missy's arc is going to be like?

I don't think it is going to be straight redemption, or only her being totally evil. I think it might settle into her being kind of an amoral trickster, or kind of a sinister but not evil mastermind.

Really kind of returning it to the status quo of the Master's first season.

I'm really curious about this and have no clue which direction they will take it.

Unless there is a super-convoluted plan unveiled where we learn Missy has orchestrated the entire season then her turning on the Doctor might feel cheap.

However if she is genuinely changed it's a dangerous thing to do one episode before Moffat leaves the show.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Senor Tron posted:

I'm really curious about this and have no clue which direction they will take it.

Unless there is a super-convoluted plan unveiled where we learn Missy has orchestrated the entire season then her turning on the Doctor might feel cheap.

However if she is genuinely changed it's a dangerous thing to do one episode before Moffat leaves the show.

I don't think it's THAT dangerous. In RTD's final episode the Master nobly sacrificed himself to send Rassilon and the rest of the Time Lords back into the Time War, and by the end of Moffat's tenure Missy's back, so's the John Simm Master and so's Gallifrey. Chibnall will just do what everyone working on Who does, take the bits of the show's history he likes and sideline or ignore the bits he doesn't.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Fil5000 posted:

Chibnall will just do what everyone working on Who does, take the bits of the show's history he likes and sideline or ignore the bits he doesn't.

And we all know what Chibnall likes: Dalek Cyberwoman bumps. :v:

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

It's always possible that she could full on die, but it turns out there's like nine Masters between her and Simm.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

BBC has no interest in casting a woman in the role, they're dead-set on hiring another Tennant because they think that'll be more marketable.

They're probably right. :shrug:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Cojawfee posted:

Tennant with a Scottish accent.

Tennant but weirder looking. What I'm saying: Bring back Matt Smith.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Has the 13th Doctor's name been released?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Mind Loving Owl posted:

It's always possible that she could full on die, but it turns out there's like nine Masters between her and Simm.

I'm idly wondering if she's actually a pre-Master regeneration and that's why she doesn't remember the current events, but that seems unlikely.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fil5000 posted:

I'm idly wondering if she's actually a pre-Master regeneration and that's why she doesn't remember the current events, but that seems unlikely.

Standard Multi-Doctor rules apply; The newer ones always forget after the fact, only the youngest one remembers the whole thing.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Didn't the Simms master specifically say he's worried about his future self though?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Didn't the Simms master specifically say he's worried about his future self though?

Yes. Also he's locked in as the 'earliest' one, as YANA was who he was right from the end of the Time War.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

He also mentioned that it took him a while to figure out who Missy was, though. He figures out she's him, he happens to remember that he was never a woman, or that particular woman if you prefer, therefore, future incarnation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Master: Is she.... is she The Rani?
Missy does something competent and actually achieves something
Master: No wait something doesn't add up...

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Lampsacus posted:

No

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Master: Is she.... is she The Rani?
Missy does something competent and actually achieves something
Master: No wait something doesn't add up...

I think the Rani's hit rate is similar to the Master's, to be fair. She managed to take over that planet from Time and the Rani and enslave the occupants, and she successfully removed the need to sleep from an entire planet in Mark of the Rani, which is what she was trying to do. She probably would have been successful in getting all the brain juice she needed if it weren't for the Master showing up and buggering it up.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

He also mentioned that it took him a while to figure out who Missy was, though. He figures out she's him, he happens to remember that he was never a woman, or that particular woman if you prefer, therefore, future incarnation.

Yeah, I realised as I hit post that it wasn't really that likely. Moffat might still pull some timey-wimey, Blinovitch effect nonsense but probably not.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 28, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like the idea of Missy not being Simm's direct successor, but I also really want a scene where Missy gets tired of dealing with Simm and kills him to create a second Missy. :allears:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Also worth remembering (though I can't imagine this ever coming up at this point) that Delgado was the final regeneration of the old-school Master (everything after that was him finding crazier and more awful ways to cheat death and stealing bodies up til, I guess, the Time Lords gave him a new set of regenerations as payment for his help during the Time War), so there could, in theory, be twelve others running around in history.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I thought Delgado and Beevers were separate regenerations?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lampsacus posted:

Yes, it was in the last episode. His name is "Doctor Who". :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought Delgado and Beevers were separate regenerations?

Apparently there's at least two versions of how Delgado becomes meltyface, and in one he regenerates first and in the other he just gets melted.

• Locked thread