Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So why does Lyse need to exist? Wouldn't it have made as much sense if Yda was still alive and all about liberation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ither posted:

Yea, it does. He was able to experience his battles multiple times (just like we can). That's how was able to parry Yugiri's surprise attack.

So then why didn't we need Urianger's device against him?

Carmant posted:

Why cant any of the characters go a single line without telling you how badass you are. It keeps reminding me of Homer Simpson writing dialogue for poochie.

The WoL isn't a good fighter. He's s god killer. That gets you some respect.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The thing is, the Warrior of Light is really loving good at killing, but really nothing else. When people praise the WoL it's either because they just murdered something hard to murder, they're about to murder someone, or they inspired other soldiers to become better murderers. You're right that the WoL doesn't have much of a spoken personality aside from "sardonic action hero" but those are the things people in-universe respect you for.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Brother Entropy posted:

nakama would've been too on the nose i guess?

macfam posted:

Doesn't that mean partner? iirc Yosuke calls you that in P4.

I'm partial to aniki (or kyodai rather). But that's because I really love the Yakuza series... :allears:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Countblanc posted:

The thing is, the Warrior of Light is really loving good at killing, but really nothing else.

That's not true. You can also build legendary sofas and make the best loving desserts on the planet.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Countblanc posted:

The thing is, the Warrior of Light is really loving good at killing, but really nothing else. When people praise the WoL it's either because they just murdered something hard to murder, they're about to murder someone, or they inspired other soldiers to become better murderers. You're right that the WoL doesn't have much of a spoken personality aside from "sardonic action hero" but those are the things people in-universe respect you for.

I don't know, they praise you for being kind and inspiring and stuff too. This would all be fine if there were more to counterbalance. Maybe I'm getting sick of doing this poo poo and go off on my own for awhile or something, and in the process that gets people killed or sets things back majorly. Really just anything to give my character just a tiny bit of depth.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Carmant posted:

Nobody RPs anymore

This is patently false.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

They're giving the WoL more of a voice in SB with all the dialogue choices throughout the MSQ. I doubt the game actually changes much as a result of them, but I'll take whatever bits of agency I can get.

I dunno, I like video game :shrug:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Please do not pollute my sanctuary with the shrugging guy emoticon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Your character has exactly as much depth as you feel like giving them. The game is not interested in providing a concrete personality for your character and frankly I'm not interested in asking it to give me one. The conversation options are exactly what I want so just give me more of those (which they have with every expansion).

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
The fact that the WoL can be a master culinarian doesn't get brought up I don't think. All your meals are cooked by other people in the msq. What must it feel like to politely eat food other people went out of their way to make for you when you are already the best chef in the country.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

macfam posted:

The fact that the WoL can be a master culinarian doesn't get brought up I don't think. All your meals are cooked by other people in the msq. What must it feel like to politely eat food other people went out of their way to make for you when you are already the best chef in the country.

I just want Tataru or someone to cook up my 7-yalm Endoceras

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Carmant posted:

Thats cool the first few times but it gets really old after two expansions. I think they need to kill off the Warrior of Light and bring things back down to earth a bit.

Yeah you're right our characters should just off themselves because we're the driving force in the story and that's totally not cool that we the protagonist do that JRPG thing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Carmant posted:

Thats cool the first few times but it gets really old after two expansions. I think they need to kill off the Warrior of Light and bring things back down to earth a bit.

This happened already. It didn't take

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

macfam posted:

"These facking plebians they overcooked my marron glace the caramels not even set properly and what the heck is with this salad, these are clearly NQ greens in here and oh my Hydaelyn my Loaghton steak isn't braised properly I swear this is an insult disguised as pleasantry..."

The inner thoughts of a 60 CUL WoL during Aymeric's dinner.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Carmant posted:

Why cant any of the characters go a single line without telling you how badass you are. It keeps reminding me of Homer Simpson writing dialogue for poochie.

:goonsay:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

EponymousMrYar posted:

"These facking plebians they overcooked my marron glace the caramels not even set properly and what the heck is with this salad, these are clearly NQ greens in here and oh my Hydaelyn my Loaghton steak isn't braised properly I swear this is an insult disguised as pleasantry..."

The inner thoughts of a 60 CUL WoL during Aymeric's dinner.

you're not staring at the wine because you think it might be poisoned you stare at the wine because it's trash garbage

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Ah drat dude not the guy with glasses face. loving owned...

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i just realized that the goonsay emote is supposed to be one guy with glasses, not a vague crowd of four goons in a mob with bad opinions

your opinion is kinda dumb carmant but thank you for opening my eyes to the truth

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So maybe this is a dumb question, but where exactly is the gathering node in Lochs for the Ala Mhigan Salt Crystals? It looks like it is in the lake, but no matter what depth I swim to I can't find the drat node. Is there some secret hidden cave below the lakebed?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

dmboogie posted:

i just realized that the goonsay emote is supposed to be one guy with glasses, not a vague crowd of four goons in a mob with bad opinions

your opinion is kinda dumb carmant but thank you for opening my eyes to the truth

I always thought it was a bus.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

I always thought it was a bus.

A man the size of a bus.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xun posted:

Continuing the gathering chat from earlier, I just got my first gathering class (miner) to 50. Is there a good leveling collectible rotation? I keep reading that I need 600GP but I've only managed to get to around 540/550ish with HQ right side.

The 600GP rotation is meant for level 56+, when collectibles have higher requirements. At level 50 the requirements are much lower since you don't have as many abilities.

At level 50 it's going to be Discerning Eye->Methodical Appraisal->DE->MA->Collectx3. If you have more than 500 GP and get more than 144 rarity from DE->MA, you can skip the second DE and use Solid Reason instead to get an additional collect.

At level 51 you can start using Instinctual Appraisal instead of MA, which is kind of a gamble. On average it's slightly better, but you can also hit low. Don't use it unless you can get 150 rarity from DE->MA.

At 53 you get Impulsive Appraisal, which is a really good ability, but you lack a later ability to really take advantage of it. The rarity requirements are also higher now, so you'll have to do DE->MA->DE->MA->MA->Collectx2. If you can get 160 rarity from DE->MA, you can skip the third MA.

At 56 the requirements go up again. At this point you should invest in getting your GP to 600. If you can reach that mark, you can do DE->MA->DE->MA->DE->MA->Collectx2.

At 57 you get Single Mind, which is what makes Impulsive Appraisal so useful. If you can get 162 rarity from DE->MA, then you can do DE->IA->DE->IA->DE->MA->Collectx2. Each time Impulsive Appraisal procs (you'll know because the buff from DE won't go away), you can replace the next DE with Single Mind, which will grant you an extra collect. This will be your basic rotation all the way to 70.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So why does Lyse need to exist? Wouldn't it have made as much sense if Yda was still alive and all about liberation?

The continued shedding of any ties to the 1.0 version, among other things. At this point the only original, release-day 1.0 characters still in the story are Y'shtola and Thancred.

Carmant posted:

It just feels weird to heap endless amounts of praise on a character with no real dialogue or personality. Nobody RPs anymore so just make our characters talk and be an actual person already.

IMO it also feels a bit better if you keep up with the patches and whatnot - it's more spread out at that point, and you accomplish other stuff in the meantime, so by the time Stormblood rolls around, yeah, you're eight raid dungeons deep and you've been in the news multiple times. It's actually natural that people would talk about you being famous, because you've done a lot by the time of the 4.0 content.

For a newer player it can feel odd though, because you've probably skipped a bunch of stuff on your way up.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 28, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Your WoL has the personality you want them to have, and they keep giving you pretty decent options to flesh out your own idea of the character every expansion with more dialog options. Plus certain questlines do add some extra detail to the character (*coughDRK30-50cough*) that is pretty nice. I really do feel like you can end SB feeling like your WoL (ending spoilers)is actually the person Zenos wants them to be. As in, a battle-starved warrior who is not happy unless he is killing bigger and better things. There certainly are a lot of dialog options to reflect that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Countblanc posted:

There's a guy you can beat at triple triad who proceeds to be like "oh my god don't you ever get tired of being the best at everything?! fuccckk"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

So in a drunken pique over the weekend I took SAM from 50-60 and I gotta say I really enjoy this class. Surprising amount of movement with the charge and backjump on low cooldowns.

also Lightning cosplay please square make a SAM version of the sword it's so cool

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I want to get my brother into this game as he's been looking for an MMO he can play with his GF without her getting frustrated by how hard the combat is.The main issue is that he has a retardedly small attention span when it comes to videogame storylines, and I'm worried the MSQ will be a huge turnoff for him.

How far can he get in this game in terms of enjoyment while avoiding the MSQ? Is that feasible?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Umbreon posted:

I want to get my brother into this game as he's been looking for an MMO he can play with his GF without her getting frustrated by how hard the combat is.The main issue is that he has a retardedly small attention span when it comes to videogame storylines, and I'm worried the MSQ will be a huge turnoff for him.

How far can he get in this game in terms of enjoyment while avoiding the MSQ? Is that feasible?

the msq unlocks so many things in this game and it's very prominent for an mmo, you can't not do it

you'd probably be better off steering them towards a different mmo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sounds like the story skip item might be up his alley.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Umbreon posted:

I would suggest a different mmo, to be honest. The MSQ is required and it takes up a ton of time. The combat is fine to me and most players in this thread will say it's sooooooooo easy you guys lol, but it can be challenging at higher levels and isn't what I would recommend to someone who wants nice, easy combat to coast along with.

Maybe they could try something like Diablo III? It's not a mmo and it CAN be hard, but you control the pace and it's a good game to play with your SO and friends in my experience. Story doesn't take up much time, either!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

Sounds like the story skip item might be up his alley.

he'd still have to do the stormblood story

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SpaceDrake posted:

The continued shedding of any ties to the 1.0 version, among other things. At this point the only original, release-day 1.0 characters still in the story are Y'shtola and Thancred.

Sorta. There are some crafting quest lines that bring some people back (like ALC is connected to the 1.0 goober rampage from the 1.0 intro), and there's still people like Minfillia's catmom that I'm sure will drift in and out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does anyone have tips for making it easier to track all your different timers on Bard? At 60 I feel really frantic, like I'm constantly looking back and forth between my buffs (for Straight Shot), my target's DoTs, my song timer, and my cooldowns, and even when I try to put everything together, I'm staring at that the whole time instead of the fight.

It's tough to get into the rhythm of it, I think.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Harrow posted:

Does anyone have tips for making it easier to track all your different timers on Bard? At 60 I feel really frantic, like I'm constantly looking back and forth between my buffs (for Straight Shot), my target's DoTs, my song timer, and my cooldowns, and even when I try to put everything together, I'm staring at that the whole time instead of the fight.

It's tough to get into the rhythm of it, I think.

yeah you kinda just gotta get a rhythm for it, especially for straight shot and your dots

it helps to keep in mind that raging strikes and barrage are both on an 80s cooldown so you can remember 'em both by using 'em together and at 64 you'll get bite mastery which ups your dots to 30 seconds which is a godsend

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I'm playing around with some other classes to give them a try. In the rogue storyline, I've watched a lalafell kill a guy by throwing a dagger at his groin heading inland, and a catgirl beat the poo poo out of the guildmaster and string him up for stealing her sandwich.

Limsa Lominsa as best city-state confirmed if the music wasn't hint enough.

The Rogue and Pugilist quest lines are easily the best class quests in the entire game. The Ninja quest line's pretty fun up to 50, though for very different reasons.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

At least you get a rhythm.

For Machinist you kind of just piano your way across your cooldowns and then wildfire and try to get as much damage in without overheating.

Or overheat if it's the last time you're gonna use your gauss barrel for that fight.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

RDM is a good questline. Its the adventures of the Three Magical Musketeers vs Cults and Voidsent. Also X'Rhun is a cool guy and can do dungeon mechanics better than many players. He knows to stack on stack markers, can catch particle beam meteors, and other things.

The duty instance fights were all pretty cool too, I wish I could replay them.

Final Ninja quest has that beat Karasu uses his own mirror-clones to cheese stack markers. Just a shame he can't heal himself cause keeping him alive is by far the hardest part of that fight. Also the fight suffered from the usual look-at-all-the-cool-poo poo-we-let-NPC-ninjas-do-that-we're-never-ever-gonna-let-you-do that has plagues the ninja quests since day one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah you kinda just gotta get a rhythm for it, especially for straight shot and your dots

it helps to keep in mind that raging strikes and barrage are both on an 80s cooldown so you can remember 'em both by using 'em together and at 64 you'll get bite mastery which ups your dots to 30 seconds which is a godsend

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to 64. An extra 10 seconds on those is everything I want.

I didn't catch that Barrage and Raging Strikes have the same cooldown duration--that could help. I've generally been saving Barrage for when I have a Straighter Shot proc, and I guess popping Raging Strikes then is probably a good call, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The rhythm of RDM is pretty easy.

You just cast aero and black, and then aero and black, and then aero and black, and then corps-corps forward.