Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

People can't look at that without an account.

because they loving deleted the thread, so that's amazing

basically as part of Gazillion's license renewal with Marvel you won't be able to purchase any of the Fantastic Four or Silver Surfer or their costumes starting tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

because they loving deleted the thread, so that's amazing

basically as part of Gazillion's license renewal with Marvel you won't be able to purchase any of the Fantastic Four or Silver Surfer or their costumes starting tomorrow

Maybe they deleted it because it's not true?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

Maybe they deleted it because it's not true?

It was posted by a developer which means if it wasn't then boy does that make them look completely incompetent

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

It was posted by a developer which means if it wasn't then boy does that make them look completely incompetent

I was mostly joking, they probably deleted it because someone hoped no one would notice.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Remember when the Fantastic Four was their main bread winner and comics giant? What losing movie rights can do to a franchise, am I right?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Covok posted:

Remember when the Fantastic Four was their main bread winner and comics giant?
Literally no. I mean, maybe for a year or two in the mid 1960s but I wasn't alive then so I don't remember it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah their money makers are Spidey and then the X-men a little later.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I certainly remember thinking in the 90s the Fantastic 4 was lame and was only kept around because it was the first real Marvel comic. Obviously, I know better now, but I cannot be the only one who it was just there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I felt that way for ages and tbh it still colors my perception of them a little bit

the movies didn't help things

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Fantastic Four is like Jack Kirby art. Very few people appreciate it out the gate. You read comics for a while before you realize how awesome it is.

Even the 90's FF cartoon was piggy backing off of Iron Man in the Marvel Action Hour. And neither cartoon would have been made if more popular properties didn't pave the way.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Well I still bought Silver Surfer on MH anyway just in case because he's the only one I didn't already have unlocked.

Edit: For whatever it's worth the announcement is the system announcement when you log in to the game so it's still happening maybe?

rantmo fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 28, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Open Marriage Night posted:

Even the 90's FF cartoon was piggy backing off of Iron Man in the Marvel Action Hour. And neither cartoon would have been made if more popular properties didn't pave the way.

Iron Man's team in that show was Hawkeye, Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman, Scarlet Witch (though I don't think she was ever actually called Scarlet Witch), War Machine, an AI hologram called HOMER who was basically the Vision, and this Mortal Kombat looking fucker with a giant axe. I later learned about the Avengers and assumed they must have been a poo poo version of the Avengers, then even later I learned that they were actually Force Works.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Did someone say poo poo version of the Avengers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS13aWX9osM

God, those designs.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Wheat Loaf posted:

I later learned about the Avengers and assumed they must have been a poo poo version of the Avengers, then even later I learned that they were actually Force Works.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

God, those designs.

I remember I had two issues of the tie-in comic for that show. Either I did or my brother did. In fact, I think they might have been the first American comics either of us owned (not counting Spider-Man and X-Men reprints in British magazines).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just want to know who thought adding various plastic armor plates to everyone's costumes would make the designs more appealing to kids in the late 90s. That overdesigned poo poo was played out by 95.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I just want to know who thought adding various plastic armor plates to everyone's costumes would make the designs more appealing to kids in the late 90s. That overdesigned poo poo was played out by 95.

The toy makers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I feel comfortable with today's issue in saying that Secret Empire is one of the worst books I've ever read.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 28, 2017

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I think Marvel is very frustrating

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Codependent Poster posted:

I feel comfortable with today's issue in saying that Secret Empire is one of the worst books I've ever read.

Please spoil for those not buying :)

Edit: never mind I found them. Lol what was the point of civil war 2? What is the point of secret empire? Hahahaha

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 28, 2017

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mr Hootington posted:

What is the point of secret empire? Hahahaha

Courting internet controversy.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 28, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't know if just saying what happens can get across how unpleasant everyone and everything about this book and event is.

Black Panther won't help the heroes because "gently caress you, Tony" or something. He doesn't care about what Hydra's doing because even though they're invading Wakanda, they're fighting them off. So he's just ignoring all the deaths and the fact that his friends and teammates are all trapped in space or in the US and on the verge of getting killed. It's terrible characterization.

Beast goes to meet Steve who threatens that he'll pick up Mjolnir again and go destroy the mutant's place they have control of. Beast acts totally cool with the arrangement because "hey, mutants have our own state now!"

Bobbi is the traitor for the good guys so, yeah, way to drag down her character and make her a Nazi too. So much for that great series she had, as all the great character-building there is now thrown away to make her a Hydra mole.

Odinson gives his reasons for joining Hydra when praying to Odin. And he just comes across as a moron. "I respect Steve Rogers but he's doing all this bad stuff, and they also told me that working with Hydra was the only way to save Jane Foster. And we're about to do something really bad. What should I do?" Like gently caress, the real Thor Odinson would be kicking Hydra's rear end and setting Steve right, not allowing himself to be blackmailed.

Oh and Bruce Banner is alive and Hydra's secret weapon they're about to drop on the good guys.

Every character in this book is unpleasant and/or acting way out of character.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I haven't read 5 yet, but this whole thing is pretty weak. I'm just ready for them to get this over with.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm not even reading it, but I kinda hope that the conclusion is "This all takes place in Steve's mind, and the series acted as a battleground for TrueSteve and FascistSteve to take control of Steve's mind. Just as FascistSteve is about to take over completely, TrueSteve prevails and takes back control over his mind. Just as he's about to launch the Nukes. The epilogue is Steve calling out his friends for not realising he was a Nazi Hydra."

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Odinson gives his reasons for joining Hydra when praying to Odin. And he just comes across as a moron. "I respect Steve Rogers but he's doing all this bad stuff, and they also told me that working with Hydra was the only way to save Jane Foster. And we're about to do something really bad. What should I do?" Like gently caress, the real Thor Odinson would be kicking Hydra's rear end and setting Steve right, not allowing himself to be blackmailed.

To be fair, Deadpool did pretty much this exact same thing for why Deadpool's working for Hydra. It works there but not here though, I think, because in Deadpool it's very clearly Steve using Wade's trust to manipulate him, rather than Odinson just being an idiot all on his own.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Deadpool makes sense because he wants acceptance and to feel needed, especially from people he looks up to, and will go through however many mental hoops it takes to get there. But even then we saw him regret his actions and not disclose where the resistance's base was.

Odinson is straight up "durrr are we the baddies?"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Historically speaking, Thor is kind of a dumbass.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I appreciated how Defenders 2 flipped the Jessica/Luke dynamic from the first issue and had Jessica be the one bursting into the hospital to check up on Luke and hunting down Diamondback. Also, that last panel was super rad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

God, those designs.

Avengerrrrrrrrrrrsssss

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I think the thing I'm most angry about in Secret Empire was Coulson getting killed by Deadpool.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

howe_sam posted:

I appreciated how Defenders 2 flipped the Jessica/Luke dynamic from the first issue and had Jessica be the one bursting into the hospital to check up on Luke and hunting down Diamondback. Also, that last panel was super rad.

This has happened before.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Avengerrrrrrrrrrrsssss

Hahahaha I love how almost everyone wears ridiculous armor.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
David Marquez draws the hell out of Blade. I have to give him that.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Bobbi is the traitor

HA! I was right! Give me my no prize.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I really liked the scene with Ben and Johnny in Infamous Iron Man, it was good seeing those two back together.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Instead of reading Secret Empire read Totally Awesome Hulk, which has Amadeus not only genuinely giving a drat about the plight of mutants which is more than, like, literally every single other non-mutant hero in the MU has ever done, but also showing a lot of empathy and wisdom towards someone who might hate mutants but also might yet be swayed from his hatred. There's more bona fide heroism in this one issue than in the entirety of SE I've read so far.

Jean Grey #3 kinda soured me a bit on this series that I've been otherwise enjoying. 'Cuz, like, are they just gonna keep taking potshots at adult Jean every time she's brought up? Hopeless gets a ton of cred from me thanks to his flawless Spider-Woman run, but this whole thing where they rag on the adult X-Men (some of whom are dead and therefore not around to defend themselves) is getting really old. And this whole "She was so powerful but even she couldn't really host the Phoenix!" bull is just flat-out laying alternative facts on us and makes me genuinely wonder how much of adult Jean Hopeless has actually read before, or if we're just going to continue the revisionist AvX smear campaign. Jean hosted the Phoenix just fine. The one actual time she was overwhelmed by the Phoenix is when a literal supervillain screwed with her mind with a literal evil scheme.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

BrianWilly posted:

Instead of reading Secret Empire read Totally Awesome Hulk, which has Amadeus not only genuinely giving a drat about the plight of mutants which is more than, like, literally every single other non-mutant hero in the MU has ever done, but also showing a lot of empathy and wisdom towards someone who might hate mutants but also might yet be swayed from his hatred. There's more bona fide heroism in this one issue than in the entirety of SE I've read so far.

Cho teaming up with Lady Deathstrike is the match I never knew I wanted. Is the rest of TAH this good? I just picked it up for this surprisingly engaging WMD crossover.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The quality generally floats around the level of this issue, yeah. The series is just a combo of whimsical punching and really heartfelt examinations of Amadeus' own issues. A bit more of the latter than the former compared to...say, the Incredible Herc series that Amadeus also starred in, but it's still the same writer at the helm which should tell you a lot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jiro posted:

HA! I was right! Give me my no prize.

It was really only her or Quicksilver that made sense. She's with SHIELD so she was no doubt present when Faustus did his thing. Quicksilver was an outside shot because he doesn't care about any of this poo poo he just wants to help Wanda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

is everyone nazis yet

• Locked thread