Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

FizFashizzle posted:

Senate doesn't matter in 2018, unless you have non robert mueller impeachment fantasies.

Take the house and the dems shut everything down until 2020 ala 2006.

If he's still around by that point, I can't imagine Trump even runs. Best case for the GOP it's their 1980 when Kennedy primary'd Carter.

One caveat: except the Supreme Court, if anything terrible happens to any of the justices between now and 2020.

e: that was already posted and also what a terrible snipe, please enjoy a suitably shamed dog to suit

Quorum fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FizFashizzle posted:

Senate doesn't matter in 2018, unless you have non robert mueller impeachment fantasies.

Take the house and the dems shut everything down until 2020 ala 2006.

If he's still around by that point, I can't imagine Trump even runs. Best case for the GOP it's their 1980 when Kennedy primary'd Carter.

Vote you stupid idiot fucker. That's all we have.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FizFashizzle posted:

ive given up on the scotus

Imagine how bad it would be with 5 conservatives on the bench!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mustached Demon posted:

Vote you stupid idiot fucker. That's all we have.
Not gonna happen. I just heard from a friend straight out of college who think Shitlery would have been as bad as Trump.

We're doomed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Spiffster posted:

How might I ask? Most of the senators up for reelection that are GOP are safe seats. Democrats are the only ones positioned for losing seats this time around. The only way I could see it actually impact is if the conservative AARP members actually decide to not vote because lord knows they will be caught dead voting democrat.

Republicans need to expand their Senate majority in 2018 in order to have a reasonable chance of holding on to the Senate in 2020 (and they are likely losing a Republican seat in Nevada next year no matter what they do).

If they don't take a single Democratic seat in 2018 then 2020 does not look good for them: 11 safe Democratic seats while Republicans have to defend 22 including some precarious positions in purple and even reliably blue states.

Colorado they're hosed, Collins might be retiring in Maine to run for governor. And it's not unheard of for Democrats to win statewide races in Montana, Louisiana, North Carolina, Iowa, West Virginia, and South Dakota.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 28, 2017

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/879829140068868096

Just so stupid

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

Republicans need to expand their Senate majority in 2018 in order to have a reasonable chance of holding on to the Senate in 2020 (and they are likely losing a Republican seat in Nevada next year no matter what they do).

If they don't take a single Democratic seat in 2018 then 2020 does not look good for them: 11 safe Democratic seats while Republicans have to defend 22 including some precarious positions in purple and even reliably blue states.

But they are making it sound like they are going to lose their majority in the midterms when that just seems extremely unlikely. Moreso then a trump win was last year. I just can't see that happening even with the poo poo shows that the GOP have pulled

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Vote you stupid idiot fucker.

Neither Thom Tillis nor Richard Burr are up for election.

I'll happily vote against Mark Meadows again.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Crow Jane posted:

Young and youngish Republicans always seem to look weirdly middle aged. Not sure if it's hair and wardrobe choices or a lifetime of sneering at the poor

There's probably also the chance of a reverse Dorian Gray kinda deal

GOP Maintains Solid Hold On Youth That Already Look Like Old Men

The Republican Party may have an insurmountable lead among young voters who dress and act like they’re already 50 years old.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dear Sally Yates,

please primary michelle nunn and beat Perdue's geriatric rear end in 2020

Thanks

-fiz

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Spiffster posted:

But they are making it sound like they are going to lose their majority in the midterms when that just seems extremely unlikely. Moreso then a trump win was last year. I just can't see that happening even with the poo poo shows that the GOP have pulled

Er, click on the link you were responding to:

quote:

“Top GOP officials and senators say White House chaos and impulsiveness are crippling efforts to expand the Republican Senate majority in 2018, unraveling long-laid plans and needlessly jeopardizing incumbents,” Politico reports.

“There’s a widespread sense of exasperation with the president, interviews with nearly two dozen senior Republicans reveal, and deep frustration with an administration they believe doesn’t fully grasp what it will take to preserve the narrow majority or add to it.”

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FizFashizzle posted:

Neither Thom Tillis nor Richard Burr are up for election.

I'll happily vote against Mark Meadows again.

That's how you do it. At the very least everyone has a rep to slam the -D on.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/garywhitta/status/879894173226123268

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well they had to stop laughing long enough to tell someone.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Is this an attempt to send a secret call for help to their millionaire donors to make the president behave? Because I don't think the donors can make the president behave either.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I just learned that the Syria thing Trump shot out apparently completely took CENTCOM by surprise.

:lol:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

business hammocks posted:

Is this an attempt to send a secret call for help to their millionaire donors to make the president behave? Because I don't think the donors can make the president behave either.

"He isn't beholden to rich donors, he is already a billionaire!!!!!!"

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Boon posted:

I just learned that the Syria thing Trump shot out apparently completely took CENTCOM by surprise.

:lol:

I think they made it up so that they can claim that, when nothing happens, it was because Trump was such a tough guy at Syria. Who are you going to believe, Syria saying they weren't about to do a chemical weapons attack, or Donald John Trump, President Of The United States Of The Americas? Checkmate, liberals. He's a strong daddy, he's my strong daddy, and now you will admit that this Russia stuff is a hoax!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
When he does poo poo like that it increasingly moves the military against the GOP who unabashedly cow tow to him.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

HAHAHAHAHA HOLY gently caress poo poo! THEY DID AN INVESTIGATION!? ARE YOU loving making GBS threads ME!?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

Crippling their majority expansion is what I took away from it

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, I was just about to post this

So is he trying to do both a Nixon speedrun and a Reagan speedrun at the same time?

What does this mean exactly?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Time til his brain turns to swiss cheese

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

PhazonLink posted:

Path to senility

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

HAHAHAHAHA HOLY gently caress poo poo! THEY DID AN INVESTIGATION!? ARE YOU loving making GBS threads ME!?

He forced his press secretary to torpedo himself over this. Of course he ordered a full investigation.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

PhazonLink posted:

Reagan had Alzheimer's, Trump's father had Alzheimer's, it's basically just a flip of the coin that Trump has it right now. So he's doing both a Nixon speed-run to impeachment hearings, and a Reagan speed-run to mental disintegration.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
From today's WaPo article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...f39d_story.html

Every single expression is hilarious. But Heller's is by far the best.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

KickerOfMice posted:

Not really hypothetical, back in my chemical ingesting days I did it. It's just far less than fun, especially with young republicans - some are genuine psychopaths, but most aren't evil people, they just suck at being empathetic. It's fascinating and honestly inspires sympathy in me, to see them in such a disarmed state.
Genuinely want to hear more about this.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Did anyone talk about how the afternoon republican meeting with trump went?

If not, I will assume this is what happened until told otherwise: https://youtu.be/NUC2EQvdzmY

Edit: well gently caress, guess there weren't any doves or pigs

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Chilichimp posted:

He forced his press secretary to torpedo himself over this. Of course he ordered a full investigation.

Yes. This was like one of his first actions in office.

White House claims largest crowd size in history, despite evidence to the contrary

Simpler times.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Boon posted:

This seems aggressive considering I love in Minneapolis

We didn't win by very much line last year :|

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

FizFashizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/Evan_McMullin/status/879889503082696704

reminder

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.127c0e20734a

The Russians have money all over the GOP

Manafort is their point guy

some are more in it than others

Weird that McMullin keeps going back to this. Also weird that this secret meeting of high level policy wonks was taped. Almost makes you wonder who else was in the room.

quote:

In 2013, McMullin became a senior adviser on national security issues for the House Committee on Foreign Affairs for the 113th Congress. In 2015, McMullin became the chief policy director of the House Republican Conference under Chairwoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.)

:thunk:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

We didn't win by very much line last year :|

Nuke St. Cloud.

And the rest of Sterns County.

The rest'll fix it self in time.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Raylen posted:

From today's WaPo article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...f39d_story.html

Every single expression is hilarious. But Heller's is by far the best.

Record Scratch

Yeah, that's me right there. Sad sap staring at the floor. You may be wondering how I got stuck in this mess. Well, it all started a long time ago. Well, at least it feels that way.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

He just looks so done with life.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Oh I thought a reagan speed run wasn't the obvious answer,thanks anyway for not teaching me something new?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Spiffster posted:

It just takes 3.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spiffster posted:

Well over a year until midterms and I really do not think we could possibly predict the levels of stupid and corrupt this administration will have sunk to by then. Remember when we were all so sure Trump wouldn't literally fire James Comey, in fact it really wasn't seriously discussed as something that might ever happen and then POW he did it. Our brains are not equipped to so much as imagine things as stupid as the ones Trump will do between now and midterms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

empty whippet box posted:

Well over a year until midterms and I really do not think we could possibly predict the levels of stupid and corrupt this administration will have sunk to by then. Remember when we were all so sure Trump wouldn't literally fire James Comey, in fact it really wasn't seriously discussed as something that might ever happen and then POW he did it. Our brains are not equipped to so much as imagine things as stupid as the ones Trump will do between now and midterms.

Dude's right. We're going places still. Got a long way to go and the only thing we can count on is Trump exceeding expectations in shittiness.

• Locked thread