Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

This is a poster alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Speaking of Netflix, here's a thing coming next Friday.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This is a poster alright.

Making the Shinigami more human so they can be an actual person in a costume as opposed to a wholly CGI thing like in the Japanese movies is a really good idea

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Agreed but I'm still preemptively hating this unnecessary remake.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Guy Goodbody posted:

Making the Shinigami more human so they can be an actual person in a costume as opposed to a wholly CGI thing like in the Japanese movies is a really good idea

That dumbass flying blob was easily the best part of the original

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inzombiac posted:

oh yeah it's gonna be a piece of poo poo

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I'm more interested in seeing how Altered Carbon turns out after they cut the budget by half and then the lead actor broke his foot half way through production.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dillbag posted:

I'm more interested in seeing how Altered Carbon turns out after they cut the budget by half and then the lead actor broke his foot half way through production.

Oh god don't break my heart like this. That's absolutely one of my favorite books of all time.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
When Photoshop brushes go unchecked.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darthemed posted:

That's some DeviantArt rear end abstract grunge brushing.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Taintrunner posted:

Oh god don't break my heart like this. That's absolutely one of my favorite books of all time.

Well they have a great editor on half the episodes so at least it will be paced well. Same guy did D9, Deadpool, the Handmaid's Tale pilot, etc.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

The Japanese movies kinda sucked.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dillbag posted:

If Blade Runner 2049 happens to beat odds and be successful (which I couldn't give less of a poo poo about because I'm just so eternally grateful it happened in the first place with the pedigree it has, even if it's disappointing​) we're going to get so so many lame cyberpunk and future detective movies. So be glad this is happening now where if it's bad it's bad in a vacuum. Opposed to, say, Caves of Steel that Akiva Goldsman is standing by with rights at his fingertips, edging himself to explode at just the right moment.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

zandert33 posted:

yeah but the comic was good, for the most part

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zandert33 posted:

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeah but the comic was good, for the most part

At the very least the movies had the good sense of ending shortly before the middle point, sparing us from the mess that was the Manga's second half.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 28, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The second half was great, if only they could have found a better way to connect the two.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

At the very least the movies had the good sen

maybe don't spoil a really big twist like that when the story is about to be exposed to a bunch of new people?

CharlestheHammer posted:

The second half was great, if only they could have found a better way to connect the two.

The second half wasn't great, it was a really big step down from the first half. It wasn't terrible, it seems worse than it was in comparison to the first half, but it wasn't good either

But the ending was fantastic

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like what they did with the second half so disagree.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're wrong. The first half was really good because it was two very smart but completely opposite people playing an extremely well written cat and mouse game. Their actions were completely logical based on the information they each had, and their interactions were great because the characters were so similar in the way they thought but so different as people.
That actually started breaking down before L died, when Kira was able to plan for the actions of characters months ahead of time when he gave up the note. But the relationship between Kira and L was still strong enough to carry it. When that relationship was dropped, and suborbital mafia missiles were introduced, the series got unarguably worse. New L and Evil L were weak as hell characters. After Evil L died it picked up a bit again, but New L was still just a foil for Kira, and nothing more. I understand that it was important for the story for Kira to win, and that's what made the end so great, but it still wasn't as interesting or entertaining

As I said tho, the ending was completely perfect, so it sort of evens out

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I disagree

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Guy Goodbody posted:

You're wrong. The first half was really good because it was two very smart but completely opposite people playing an extremely well written cat and mouse game. Their actions were completely logical based on the information they each had, and their interactions were great because the characters were so similar in the way they thought but so different as people.
That actually started breaking down before L died, when Kira was able to plan for the actions of characters months ahead of time when he gave up the note. But the relationship between Kira and L was still strong enough to carry it. When that relationship was dropped, and suborbital mafia missiles were introduced, the series got unarguably worse. New L and Evil L were weak as hell characters. After Evil L died it picked up a bit again, but New L was still just a foil for Kira, and nothing more. I understand that it was important for the story for Kira to win, and that's what made the end so great, but it still wasn't as interesting or entertaining

As I said tho, the ending was completely perfect, so it sort of evens out

To not mention that the plans got more contrived and over the top as the series went and the pacing also taking a hit to accommodate them

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Darthemed posted:

That's the least of that poster's problem.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
What do you see as its worst problems?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Darthemed posted:

Maxim pull quote?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Angelina Jolie in blackface?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alhazred posted:

Angelina Jolie in blackface?

That's called a perm

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So they wanted to make it look like a giant billboard for whatever reason but then added the quote just floating on the wall with formatting and everything (with bricks making it not easily readable)? Stick to the concept, you had a really simple one, make it right. Also the photoshop job on the frame is attrocious.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's called a perm

I mean, the woman she portrayed was a light skinned black woman.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is this referencing a famous painting? It looks very familiar.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Nihonniboku posted:

I mean, the woman she portrayed was a light skinned black woman.
Wait, seriously? :wtc:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her mother was African, Cuban and Chinese so Angelina got a full Fred Armisen Bingo in that role.

She was involved in the casting though, she wanted Jolie to play her.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok, if the real person approved that's not an issue imo.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Palpek posted:

Ok, if the real person approved that's not an issue imo.

Eh, I might kind of agree on an emotional level; but I've also heard strong arguments that the lack of minority representation (and lack of leading roles for minority actors) is enough of a problem that getting approval from a specific person or group, even if they are the source of the story being adapted, doesn't make up for maintaining a harmful status quo.

When the makers of the US Ghost In The Shell remake wanted to counter the backlash from casting Scarlet Johannson, they pointed out that people in Japan had no problem with it, and that even the original director and the IP holders were happy about the casting. But that's sort of a strawman, because the Japanese don't have problems with representation in their own media, while Asian-Americans (as well as other non-whites in the US), as the argument goes, are still treated as outsiders by their media. So by not taking advantage a prime opportunity to cast an Asian-American person in a blockbuster, when it practically falls in your lap, is a strong indicator that Asian-American actors still suffer from a glass ceiling in Hollywood.

Granted, there are probably some differences in casting an art house bio-pic versus what was intended to be an international blockbuster. And to be honest, I don't feel that strongly on the matter (probably because I'm white, lazy, and not an actor). But those who do, and who are affected by the issue, do raise a lot of valid points.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The Ghost in the Shell change was a plot point in the movie.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Light Gun Man posted:

Which doesn't make it any better.

And, in fact, turns something which would be pretty meh in the anime/manga version into a huge hackey point in the US version since she's soooooooo unique.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Light Gun Man posted:

Yes, which for some actually makes it worse because they literally turn an Asian character into a Caucasian one in the story, giving even more validity to the white-washing complaints.

"Hanka Robotics [the corporation in the film] is making a being that's the best of human and the best of robotics. For some reason, the best stuff they make happens to be white." - Japanese-American actress, Atsuko Okatsuka

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Paper Kaiju posted:

Yes, which for some actually makes it worse because they literally turn an Asian character into a Caucasian one in the story, giving even more validity to the white-washing complaints.

"Hanka Robotics [the corporation in the film] is making a being that's the best of human and the best of robotics. For some reason, the best stuff they make happens to be white." - Japanese-American actress, Atsuko Okatsuka

Maybe that's what they're going for? Cuz the company / the leader of it is antagonistic? Have the bad person do a bad thing? Dunno, I thought it made for some decent parts (ie the parts with her mom)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The plot reason, in the live-action Ghost in the Shell, of making Major white, is that that way she'll be alienated from her family, countrymen, and own self, and therefore more dependent on the company that owns her. It's similar to the long-existing practice of shipping in non-local troops for suppressing a population they won't be connected to, or the way consumerism alienates people from their communities and into national or global marketplaces.

Of course, that doesn't mean Major had to be white. They could have just set it somewhere where being Asian was alienating. Using Scarlett Johansson does draw in a Lost in Translation parallel, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Light Gun Man posted:

Maybe that's what they're going for? Cuz the company / the leader of it is antagonistic? Have the bad person do a bad thing? Dunno, I thought it made for some decent parts (ie the parts with her mom)

Hollywood Reporter posted:

Yoshihara: And the last scene where the mom hugs her daughter at the grave, that was weird to me. Because Japanese people, we don't hug, especially mom's generation. Maybe an intense look instead.

Kato-Kiriyama: They'd be crying. And they wouldn't be looking at each other, they'd be looking down.

Yoshihara: I was like, "No no no no no. We don't do that."

[…]

Okatsuka: And that experience is more generic because of it. You're supposed to connect with the fact that she hasn't seen her mom in a while. If she was a girl who grew up in Japan and ran away, first, she would feel shame, because she's Japanese. (Laughter.)

Agena: Where was the shame in this movie?! There should have been a lot more shame.

Kato-Kiriyama: No eye contact! You're just staring at your mom's toes the whole time!

And More fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 29, 2017