Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It is funny how much people freaked out at Batman killing some genocidal war criminal paramilitary spec ops in self defense and to save a life, but Wonder Woman freaking out and using Flash-like superspeed to kill dozens of jerries mostly guilty of being pawns in a war they don't understand = AOK no problem.

Of course WW in comics is the one that will kill sometimes if she has to, but not like that. Superman gets knocked through some buildings not by choice and snaps one neck and he's a bloodthirsty grimdark psychopath. Wonder Woman has a breakdown and murders dozens, FINALLY an optimistic movie now that we're free of Zack Snyder's murderverse!

Nazis aren't people though so it's ok to kill as many as you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I would place the freeway -> busy street -> Steve vs Bucky fight in Cap: Winter Solder above the BvS warehouse scene, though it's not truly a fair contest since the Winter Soldier one is more like multiple different scenes chained together really well. The BvS scene has a bit more clarity overall, but suffers a bit from the same issue as all the other Batman films where he, like, clearly isn't able to use his full bodily range of motion.

WW is actually great about this in that you can tell her costume allows full range of motion in all extremities.

So what I'm saying is that every character should wear a bustier and skirt from now on.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yeah the slow mo shots of her twisting in mid air are gorgeous.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

I would place the freeway -> busy street -> Steve vs Bucky fight in Cap: Winter Solder above the BvS warehouse scene, though it's not truly a fair contest since the Winter Soldier one is more like multiple different scenes chained together really well. The BvS scene has a bit more clarity overall, but suffers a bit from the same issue as all the other Batman films where he, like, clearly isn't able to use his full bodily range of motion.

WW is actually great about this in that you can tell her costume allows full range of motion in all extremities.

So what I'm saying is that every character should wear a bustier and skirt from now on.

Yes he does, the cape doesn't exist during filming since it's CGI and the suit was designed so Affleck and the stunt guys could move freely.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Any lack of range of motion from Affleck is probably because he trains for beef over flexibility.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Can you be more specific about the range of motion issue? Because I think BvS is the one example of Batman fighting that actually figures out a way around it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, during the warehouse scene Batman looked pretty spry/nimble while being this giant, hulking bruiser/brawler. It was awesome.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The fight on the boat in Winter Soldier was pretty good but the rest of them have way too many quick cuts for me to appreciate. It was very distracting and not very good.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I like how Wonder Woman's uniform makes her look like a stripper. It's the only good and memorable thing about the film.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Really, they just have different problems. Arrow cuts constantly, as if they have no faith in their actors' physical abilities (and those cuts make it impossible to tell if this is justified)

Totally agree. Steven Amell was a guest wrestler in a WWE PPV against Stardust a year or so ago. A friend of mine, lifelong wrestling megafan who's never seen an episode of Arrow or even knew who Amell was claimed he was the best guest wrestler he's ever seen.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Totally agree. Steven Amell was a guest wrestler in a WWE PPV against Stardust a year or so ago. A friend of mine, lifelong wrestling megafan who's never seen an episode of Arrow or even knew who Amell was claimed he was the best guest wrestler he's ever seen.

Amell (the lead, right? The one who definitely isn't Chris O'Donnell?) also showed up on Ninja Warrior and breezed through the course for charity. Whatever you think of him as an actor, he's a loving physical specimen.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That salmon ladder, man.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 28, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

Yeah, during the warehouse scene Batman looked pretty spry/nimble while being this giant, hulking bruiser/brawler. It was awesome.

My favourite thing about the scene was that it avoided the cliche whereby guys with guns run towards the hero so that he can punch them from where he is. Batman moves constantly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Amell (the lead, right? The one who definitely isn't Chris O'Donnell?) also showed up on Ninja Warrior and breezed through the course for charity. Whatever you think of him as an actor, he's a loving physical specimen.

Yeah he's definitely legit. I was shocked as hell at his ninja warrior run. I knew he had skills but damm.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

My favourite thing about the scene was that it avoided the cliche whereby guys with guns run towards the hero so that he can punch them from where he is. Batman moves constantly.

The best is the guy who shoots him point blank in the back of the head, which does nothing but make him even more angry.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MrJacobs posted:

The best is the guy who shoots him point blank in the back of the head, which does nothing but make him even more angry.

He shoots twice and the only person that gets it worse is the guy who managed to stab him. :allears:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

Yeah, Batman's annoyed but furious 'garrgh!' is amazing.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, Batman's annoyed but furious 'garrgh!' is amazing.

He basically reacted the same way I would when stubbing my toe or stepping on a lego.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

McCloud posted:

He basically reacted the same way I would when stubbing my toe or stepping on a lego.

I like that the movie manages to have the ultimate 'Batman as power fantasy' and 'Batman as troubled weirdo' scenes together in the same movie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Snowman_McK posted:

Can you be more specific about the range of motion issue? Because I think BvS is the one example of Batman fighting that actually figures out a way around it.
It's many orders of magnitude better than the Nolan fights, mind you. They mostly make it work in BvS by sticking with the close-in, elbows tight, hunkered fistfighting that works for an armored combatant, but there are still various moments where maybe blows just a fraction longer to land or his joints bend just a few degrees less than they should. Tiny bits like that can make a huge difference, especially when they stack up over time, and makes it seem clear, to me at least, that the suit is still hindering him more than it isn't.

It's not exactly about him being bulky, either. If you watch pro wrestling, you see that all these brickhouses come across real flexible and all swinging limbs and light as feathers.

One of my favorite..."hits," I guess, in Wonder Woman is soon after she jumps into the upper room with those soldiers in it, and she swings her arm practically 360 degrees to konk a soldier in his helmet, knocking him flat. The arc of the blow really sells the momentum and impact of the hit because, when it comes to visualizing action, exaggeration is almost always better than subtlety. It's why one of the moments that usually come right to mind when people think of that BvS scene is Batman grabbing a dude, leaping over a crate, and then slamming that dude into the crate. Big arcs, big anticipation, big action, big reaction.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

It's many orders of magnitude better than the Nolan fights, mind you. They mostly make it work in BvS by sticking with the close-in, elbows tight, hunkered fistfighting that works for an armored combatant, but there are still various moments where maybe blows just a fraction longer to land or his joints bend just a few degrees less than they should. Tiny bits like that can make a huge difference, especially when they stack up over time, and makes it seem clear, to me at least, that the suit is still hindering him more than it isn't.

It's not exactly about him being bulky, either. If you watch pro wrestling, you see that all these brickhouses come across real flexible and all swinging limbs and light as feathers.

One of my favorite..."hits," I guess, in Wonder Woman is soon after she jumps into the upper room with those soldiers in it, and she swings her arm practically 360 degrees to konk a soldier in his helmet, knocking him flat. The arc of the blow really sells the momentum and impact of the hit because, when it comes to visualizing action, exaggeration is almost always better than subtlety. It's why one of the moments that usually come right to mind when people think of that BvS scene is Batman grabbing a dude, leaping over a crate, and then slamming that dude into the crate. Big arcs, big anticipation, big action, big reaction.

I've watched the scene a fair few times, and I still have no idea what you mean. Don't suppose you could show us a gif.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The unfortunate thing about Wonder Woman is that even its supporters put it into little boxes and say 'this part is fish out of water,' or 'this is the end fight,' or whatever, without actually looking at what's going on in a given scene.

For example, the point of the 'you let that little thing tell you what to do?' scene is that - at that point in history - mass-produced wristwatches and even the concept of standard time were recent developments, born of the industrial revolution. The watch given to Steve Trevor by his father is not some ancient family heirloom but, rather, one of the first of its kind.

This pegs Steve as 'a child of the industrial revolution' - and the part about 'being told what to do' is obviously tied to the "where I'm from we call that slavery" joke.

These (intelligent, adult) characters are talking about wage labor (pejoratively: wage slavery), which Diana's double-entendre links to patriarchy. If you want to talk Wonder Woman and feminism, this is what you should be examining -not measuring hemlines.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

That salmon ladder, man.

:staredog:

Is that physically possible?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yup. As I understand it, the salmon ladder is in Arrow because the actor was working out like that in real life, and the TV people were so impressed by it that they wanted it in the show.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Charlz Guybon posted:

Stephen Amell teaches you how!
https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/videos/768498516568751/

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Charlz Guybon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1uOfYShAKM

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Charlz Guybon posted:

The salmon ladder is practically Arrow's signature training exercise at this point.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The unfortunate thing about Wonder Woman is that even its supporters put it into little boxes and say 'this part is fish out of water,' or 'this is the end fight,' or whatever, without actually looking at what's going on in a given scene.

For example, the point of the 'you let that little thing tell you what to do?' scene is that - at that point in history - mass-produced wristwatches and even the concept of standard time were recent developments, born of the industrial revolution. The watch given to Steve Trevor by his father is not some ancient family heirloom but, rather, one of the first of its kind.

This pegs Steve as 'a child of the industrial revolution' - and the part about 'being told what to do' is obviously tied to the "where I'm from we call that slavery" joke.

These (intelligent, adult) characters are talking about wage labor (pejoratively: wage slavery), which Diana's double-entendre links to patriarchy. If you want to talk Wonder Woman and feminism, this is what you should be examining -not measuring hemlines.

Tell me about the other part of that scene where they spend like an awkward full 30 seconds off and on talking about his dick.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Glagha posted:

Tell me about the other part of that scene where they spend like an awkward full 30 seconds off and on talking about his dick.

He included the best dick joke right there in the post

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BrianWilly posted:

The thing about this is that it looks stupid and bad, and exactly like what it is, two guys cooperating to do some poo poo that couldn't even concievably occur in real life. It's not even selfconsciously stupid, like gunkata.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Wrestling is stupid and bad, yes.

Except that time Batman showed up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
No, wrestling is good. That is bad.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

quote:

A wrestler holding a microphone faced an Appalachian crowd before a match and began unleashing a torrent of insults, the nature of which seemed out of place at a pro wrestling tournament.

“I understand now why you all identify with country music. It’s slow and it’s simple and it’s boring, just like each and every one of you.”

As the crowd grew increasing hostile, the wrestler’s remarks became more politically tinged.

“You know what, I think Bernie Sanders would make a great secretary of state.”

“I want to exchange your bullets for bullet points. Bullet points of knowledge.”

He even called Donald Trump a “con man.” The crowd exploded in jeers. “Shut up,” someone yelled.

Strange, indeed. But then, the muscular man’s shirt read, “Not My President.”

Wrestling’s new villain named himself ‘Progressive Liberal.’ Hillary’s on his shirt.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

He needs a crew called "The Tolerant Left"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

He is a cool dude and I like him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The thing about this is that it looks stupid and bad, and exactly like what it is, two guys cooperating to do some poo poo that couldn't even concievably occur in real life. It's not even selfconsciously stupid, like gunkata.

Do you think people are fighting for real in movies?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Davros1 posted:

Do you think people are fighting for real in movies?

I think a fight scene failing to sell the fight in the heat of the moment is a valid complaint. It might necessarily be the fault of the costumes/actors but could be a matter of the same stuff edited a little differently, whatever.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I think a fight scene failing to sell the fight in the heat of the moment is a valid complaint. It might necessarily be the fault of the costumes/actors but could be a matter of the same stuff edited a little differently, whatever.

Selling a fight how? I mean most of the time you have people getting punched in the face several times with no consecutive damage or anything, not even a stumble or knockdown.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MrJacobs posted:

Selling a fight how? I mean most of the time you have people getting punched in the face several times with no consecutive damage or anything, not even a stumble or knockdown.

I didn't say "realistic," I said being able to sell the fight in the heat of the moment, there's a huge difference (BrianWilly's other examples from BvS and Wonder Woman are actually a very good examples).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MrJacobs posted:

Selling a fight how?

By not doing this.
https://streamable.com/cmctg

• Locked thread