Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The rhythm of RDM is pretty easy.

You just cast aero and black, and then aero and black, and then aero and black, and then corps-corps forward.

i see what you did there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Arist posted:

Anyone ever seen a PLD so petrified of death they cast Clemency any time they get below 60%? Because that was one of the more weirdly insulting instances I've healed.

If I've burned all my TP on total eclipse, I figure clemency on myself is probably one of the more productive things I can do, particularly on large pulls.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

the msq unlocks so many things in this game and it's very prominent for an mmo, you can't not do it

you'd probably be better off steering them towards a different mmo

A Spider Covets posted:

I would suggest a different mmo, to be honest. The MSQ is required and it takes up a ton of time. The combat is fine to me and most players in this thread will say it's sooooooooo easy you guys lol, but it can be challenging at higher levels and isn't what I would recommend to someone who wants nice, easy combat to coast along with.

Maybe they could try something like Diablo III? It's not a mmo and it CAN be hard, but you control the pace and it's a good game to play with your SO and friends in my experience. Story doesn't take up much time, either!

gently caress I'm dumb, I probably should have mentioned that he's ok with doing main questlines in other MMOs if he has to, just as long as there's plenty to do otherwise. I know He's going to love the crafting system for example, and he's not afraid to grind as long as he enjoys the combat.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Brother Entropy posted:

i see what you did there

yeah, they advocated hard casting aero!!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Playing around with Samurai I'm a little surprised that they identified ahead of time a potential problem with Samurai's kit (Gekko/Kasha are for all intents and purposes the same skill aside from giving you different Sen) and solved it by giving them Kenki bonuses based on position, when the exact same issue exists with Red Mage (Veraero/Verthunder are essentially the same skill, you just use whatever you haven't used yet to fill up your job meter) without an according bonus to help differentiate them.

Jinpu and Shifu also are essentially the same, but that the two buffs do different things helps make the decision about which to prioritize based on how the fight is progressing more interesting.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Final Ninja quest has that beat Karasu uses his own mirror-clones to cheese stack markers. Just a shame he can't heal himself cause keeping him alive is by far the hardest part of that fight. Also the fight suffered from the usual look-at-all-the-cool-poo poo-we-let-NPC-ninjas-do-that-we're-never-ever-gonna-let-you-do that has plagues the ninja quests since day one.

I'm pretty sure he can heal himself. And you. The trick is that Karasu is a dick and doesn't want to stack with you. In fact, he'll move away from you. Stack with his clones.

I hate the skill thing though, right there with you on that. It actually pissed me off a lil bit in that last stretch. If the secret scroll technique is clones, why tf is the 70 skill TCJ instead of Bunshin? Granted I'm not sure I totally understood the plot of the 60-70 stuff. Karasu wants the scroll I guess but to do so he involved us but not really? Karasu hosed with Oboro because he could and it was funny?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Umbreon posted:

gently caress I'm dumb, I probably should have mentioned that he's ok with doing main questlines in other MMOs if he has to, just as long as there's plenty to do otherwise. I know He's going to love the crafting system for example, and he's not afraid to grind as long as he enjoys the combat.

Oh sure, then I'd say he should give it a shot. There is an absolute ton to do, and if the story drags for him but he really enjoys the game, he can clear the MSQ up to the new expansion by throwing money at Square. I'm not sure about combat in later dungeons and raids for his GF still, but I don't know if she like, enjoys a fun challenge, or wants to have a good time just mashing buttons. If it's the latter, I'd tell her to avoid EXDR, extreme trials and raids, and maybe play an easier DPS class (I hear MNK is very simple now, but I haven't tried it post-SB myself).

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Cutscenes can be skipped anyway.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Finally looked at and set up bars for every job up to level 70

lol that paladin has more buttons than every other class in the game. like even setting aside cooldown they're 2 or 3 core rotation buttons ahead of other tanks and dps.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Minrad posted:

Finally looked at and set up bars for every job up to level 70

lol that paladin has more buttons than every other class in the game. like even setting aside cooldown they're 2 or 3 core rotation buttons ahead of other tanks and dps.

True but deceptive, SAM and NIN have way more relevant buttons than PLD. The enmity combo is basically only relevant for the first three GCDs of a fight (sometimes not even that), and Goring Blade is a very important DOT that you have to track.

Outside these two it's a balance between Royal Authority and Holy Spirit. Speaking as a PLD who played through the previous two versions of the game I like the current iteration quite a lot in terms of mechanical complexity.

There's three distinct phases I transition throughout with good damage optimization in each phase. Simplifying it further would bring us back to Heavensward days (if not worse) in terms of "Do X, then do Y, you're finished."

Their cooldowns are also still pretty simple to handle. Fight or Flight when you need to dump Goring Blade / Circle of Scorn. Rampart for general heavy damage phases. Sentinel for busters. Indomitable Will for pulls/pushes. Hallowed Ground for "Holy poo poo please God healer LB3 asap". Intervention to help the tank when you're offtanking, else Sheltron. Bulwark for infinite mana while Holy Cleaving. Reprisal for busters / raid pulses. Divine Veil for raid pulses, Passage of Arms for raid busters.

I like Shield Lob for pulls and it also gives you an option for ranged combat that isn't mana reliant. Shield Swipe is good for dungeons / PVP.

I vaguely agree that PLD has a lot of buttons but it never feels overwhelming nor does it feel extraneous.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Woo, none of my spells are in the right place anymore!

Think I'm finally gonna drop the cash on a transfer to excal. Been meaning to for over a year now.

RDM feels weird but fun, will probably stick to WMH.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I can't decide which tank to lvl as an alt job first. Does DRK still feel really annoying to play like it did at 60? Managing MP for DA poo poo was always such a downer.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Kuai posted:

I can't decide which tank to lvl as an alt job first. Does DRK still feel really annoying to play like it did at 60? Managing MP for DA poo poo was always such a downer.

Drk is way simpler to play now that it is literally impossible to lose darkside. not really comparable to how it was in heavensward, it's basically a brand new tank.

Best to worst: Pld > Drk > War

Easiest to most complicated: Drk > Pld > War

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kuai posted:

I'm kind of in this same boat. On the one hand, I already have DRK at 60. On the other hand, PLD looks so cool, now. On the other other hand, PLD is level 50 and I don't wanna drive myself insane by doing palace of the dead another million times. And... on the other other other hand, their AF3 looks sooooo cooooool

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

FisheyStix posted:

I'm kind of in this same boat. On the one hand, I already have DRK at 60. On the other hand, PLD looks so cool, now. On the other other hand, PLD is level 50 and I don't wanna drive myself insane by doing palace of the dead another million times. And... on the other other other hand, their AF3 looks sooooo cooooool

The nice thing about leveling a tank is that you can also do 5060 and LDR instead of PotD (and Palace doesn't give you more XP after 60 anyway, so it starts to drop off). The downside is that if you do 5060 you won't get to play with any of your fun 52-58 toys until you hit 60, and if you do LDR you have a good shot at getting Sastasha or some poo poo.

I was in the same boat as you at the start (60 DRK, 46 PLD) and I've gotten my PLD to 55 just by doing a couple roulettes with it. Should be able to hit 70 in a couple weeks.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The main reason I want to get paladin to 70 is to use their level 70 skill in towns to show off.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/263f9a10fe534e8c93e43d08fde73eaba1c52976

quote:

we’ll be instituting a temporary measure that will log all characters out simultaneously across all Worlds on a data center once a day. Announcement for when this will take place will be made one hour prior via in-game system message. Please note that you will be logged out of the game even while inside of instances or duties.

Players will not be able to log back into the game for about 10 minutes while this is being processed.

:allears:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Velthice posted:

Drk is way simpler to play now that it is literally impossible to lose darkside. not really comparable to how it was in heavensward, it's basically a brand new tank.

Best to worst: Pld > Drk > War

Easiest to most complicated: Drk > Pld > War

Agreed with this. I think there's an argument for War being so weak atm it encroaches on playing them for being fun mechanically (Wars seem to struggle to hold aggro whenever I get them in exdr or leveling dungeons) but aside from that if you think a tank looks cool, just level that one. Also agreed that DRK is significantly improved with less toggling of stances and more mana to use the fun abilities on.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

ahahahaha, this rules. like they should just have crafting timeout and logout like anything else, but lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

They should just forcibly split Balmung in half imo. Keep FCs intact but otherwise split people willy-nilly.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Please look forward to servers crashing in light of mass logins all at the same exact time

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Another little bonus for DRK this expansion is that one of the PVP weapons to glamour is a Tetsubo. If you're tired of a giant sword, bash people around with a giant bat.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
This is difficult. Almost a game of transfer chicken, or a prisoner's dilemma. Is the onus on Square to develop a method of transfering entire FCs at once while keeping their house/airship/rank intact, as that has been shown to be the one sticking point that, if implemented, would almost certainly evacuate Balmung and Gilgamesh? Or is it on the players to suck it up, liquidate, and start their FC over with the new asset cap on the other server?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They better not do this at off peak US times in a blanket sense, like they do with maintenance, because this is going to take EU players off at peak times and have them trying to log back in for a solid hour or two.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well, they did say per datacenter.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Minrad posted:

ahahahaha, this rules. like they should just have crafting timeout and logout like anything else, but lol

That probably requires a client update, and they'll stop doing the forced logouts once the patch is ready to go.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

The patch to the problem that has apparently been known for ages but hasn't seen a fix yet? Sure.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

It hasn't been that big an issue before, don't whine.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
hi i have an MCH question since people seem to know what they're talking about

if reload is down and i'm just spamming my 123 combo with no procs, when Quick Reload comes off CD should I split shot or slug shot? it's only one guaranteedc proc so i'd think slug shot would be smarter since i can clean shot after but i dont know what the right move is, i assume someone knows

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I have a Paladin question mostly aimed at PS4/Controller users:

Could anyone share some screenshots of their crossbar layouts, please?

My Paladin is level 47 now and I am swamped with a huge number of abilities to use and they're in a crazy haphazard array across my crossbars so I'm trying to work out a more efficient way to array them all.

Also are there any Paladin abilities that are just not very good and not worth putting onto the crossbar? Or at least rarely used so I can put them in a not often used spot?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

So then why didn't we need Urianger's device against him?

That's a good question. :shrug:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Third and final part of the Noclip documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONT6fxiu9cw

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

SonicRulez posted:

So then why didn't we need Urianger's device against him?

His abilities were tapped to control the boss. It's honestly a pretty good explanation of why it would be a terrible idea for the WoL to actually try and do that, because it's a good way to get yourself killed in the off chance someone figures out a way to beat you. The Echo as-is already makes you basically unkillable, sacrificing that power to mind-jack a god seems like a thing only a crazy person would do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Balmung is gonna be pisssssssssed

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SKULL.GIF posted:

Playing around with Samurai I'm a little surprised that they identified ahead of time a potential problem with Samurai's kit (Gekko/Kasha are for all intents and purposes the same skill aside from giving you different Sen) and solved it by giving them Kenki bonuses based on position, when the exact same issue exists with Red Mage (Veraero/Verthunder are essentially the same skill, you just use whatever you haven't used yet to fill up your job meter) without an according bonus to help differentiate them.

Jinpu and Shifu also are essentially the same, but that the two buffs do different things helps make the decision about which to prioritize based on how the fight is progressing more interesting.

They uh fill up different meters which is the whole gimmick of the class.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Augus posted:

Third and final part of the Noclip documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONT6fxiu9cw

It's kinda sobering to see how Yoshi and the others are worked to the bone to the point that he'll just casually say he lives on 4 hours of sleep a day like it's normal. I know it's par for the course in Japan, but, yeesh.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

macfam posted:

The fact that the WoL can be a master culinarian doesn't get brought up I don't think. All your meals are cooked by other people in the msq. What must it feel like to politely eat food other people went out of their way to make for you when you are already the best chef in the country.

Complain hard enough and maybe they'll humor you with it. People complained about being the best healer in eorzea and just standing idly by as your friends die so now they added at least one scene where you can actually help in healing a wounded cast member if you are one of the healing classes

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Minrad posted:

It's kinda sobering to see how Yoshi and the others are worked to the bone to the point that he'll just casually say he lives on 4 hours of sleep a day like it's normal. I know it's par for the course in Japan, but, yeesh.

They have to be very deep into diminishing returns on hours worked at that point too. I know when I don't get enough sleep for multiple days in a row I have to struggle to keep from nodding off.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Which zone does the fox spawn in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Shy posted:

Which zone does the fox spawn in?

Yanxia.