Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

...and the pitch! posted:

How do you equip the psychic w/t on pc?

edit: I had that perk on for a while but I never got the walkie talkie

Any perk that gives an item has to be in the first (leftmost) slot to work. Guess it's either a bug or to prevent folks from loading up on item traits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

Any perk that gives an item has to be in the first (leftmost) slot to work. Guess it's either a bug or to prevent folks from loading up on item traits.

K, thanks.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Couldn't they just call the new jason films "Jason Films" to get around the "Friday the 13th" legal nonsense?

Jason IS the franchise, after all.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I just can't bring myself to spend a perk slot for an item which I'm 90% likely to obtain within 30 seconds of the start of the game.

LastDancer also managed to kill me in that time frame last night, because I'm awful with the shotgun and I don't know why I even tried in Packanack lodge.

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 28, 2017

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Drunken Baker posted:

Couldn't they just call the new jason films "Jason Films" to get around the "Friday the 13th" legal nonsense?

Jason IS the franchise, after all.

They kinda did already with Freddy Vs. Jason - and *kinda* with JASON GOES TO HELL.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Yeah, that's what I mean. There's all that legal hoo-haa with the writer of the first film who now "owns" the title Friday the 13th, so... Just drop that title altogether from now on when making the films. Just cut him out of it entirely if (whoever) owns the rights and likeness to Jason.

I'm no lawyer though, maybe it's more complicated than that.

I should have quoted who I was replying to really, but it was like, 3 pages back. Hahah.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I switched to starting with firecrackers

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
starting with an inventory item is bad, if you are searching the cabins properly you should find three things very quickly

starting with the radio is bad

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Burk I have a new game we can try:

All counselors start the match and have 1 minute to loot the nearest cabin. They then must stand in front of the cabin door outside while Jason comes around for inspections.

If a critical item is missed, they die horribly.

This is the only way I can think of to teach some people how awful they are at looting cabins properly.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Drunken Baker posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. There's all that legal hoo-haa with the writer of the first film who now "owns" the title Friday the 13th, so... Just drop that title altogether from now on when making the films. Just cut him out of it entirely if (whoever) owns the rights and likeness to Jason.

I'm no lawyer though, maybe it's more complicated than that.

I should have quoted who I was replying to really, but it was like, 3 pages back. Hahah.

He's claiming that he owns the rights to the character too.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I must have read the post wrong. Oops. Ignore me.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

All counselors start the match and have 1 minute to loot the nearest cabin. They then must stand in front of the cabin door outside while Jason comes around for inspections.

This is the only way I can think of to teach some people how awful they are at looting cabins properly.

i like this. it also gave me an idea for a game: Head Counselor Jason running the counselors through training, drills, team-building exercises... and if you fail to meet his standards, you get a fucken machete to the face or some other gruesome death. Or it could be game-show themed

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Phyresis posted:

i like this. it also gave me an idea for a game: Head Counselor Jason running the counselors through training, drills, team-building exercises... and if you fail to meet his standards, you get a fucken machete to the face or some other gruesome death. Or it could be game-show themed

Jason: "LaChappa! LACHAPPA! Why are you so far behind? Vanessa is halfway to Woodbury for Christ's sake!"

LaChappa: *huffing* "I'm sorry Mr. Voorhees, my asthma is acting up agai..."

Jason: "Don't you complain to me about asthma, tubs! I've spent YEARS under the ground and under water holding my breath, dreaming about spilling your entrails on the Packanack deck. NOW MOVE, MOVE, MOVE!"

Lachappa: *crying*

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Essential Perks

Thick Skinned: Take less damage from all incoming attacks. the best perk in the game. completely necessary. it doesn't just apply to "attacks", it reduces the damage from climbing through broken windows, falling damage, trap damage, you name it.

Medic: Get two uses from each Medical Spray. Also increases healing when using a Medical Spray. imo this is the second best perk in the game. the combination of Thick Skinned and Medic is unreal at keeping you alive. One spray is all you need for most matches to stay fresh, which is why I always find three immediately. the increased healing is irrelevant but i wouldn't use one with any amount of the % damage taken penalty, gently caress that

Notes

Marathon: Increases your total Stamina. obviously only worthwhile on the three high Stamina counselors: Nessa, Tiff, Buggs. Tho Buggzy should be kitted out for fighting so he probably doesn't have room for it

Melee build: Heavy Hitter is pretty sick for stunning Jason, especially in combination with Swift Attacker.

Stealth build: Homebody + Level Headed + Low Profile: if you crouch in a cabin you have a hilariously high chance to dodge Sense entirely, like you don't show up on that usage. Best on AJ so she can go fix the power box when he breaks it. darkness will kill you

Grease Monkey would be pretty loving good if it worked.

My Dad's A Cop is less good in goon games because Jason tends to massively trap the phone box in our meta.

most of the other perks suck but there are some traps that need to be mentioned

Firecracker/Hypochondriac/Preparedness/Psychic/Slugger are not good. Crackers aren't even good, like I want to carry one in my ideal setup but Jason can just blockwalk right through them, the best usage is to throw them right before he grabs you and hope they stun him then. There's a medical spray in literally every large cabin and usually one in a deathtrap cabin, there's fucken two or three of them in the public bathroom. The more you play the game the less you need the map, especially when you learn where the map kiosks are. There are walkie-talkies loving e v e r y w h e r e and tbqh it's not that useful if we're using voice comms.

those are arguable but what is inarguable is that the perks that make you complete actions faster will GLITCH YOU THE gently caress OUT. and not in a good way. Never use the perks that make you barricade, repair, or ESPECIALLY climb through windows faster or you will be in for a bad time. That window poo poo will ruin that match for you immediately, like you're hosed until it ends

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Multitrapping the phone box is lame af. Multiple traps all around the phone box is one thing, all of them stacked on one another is dumb as hell and I hope that gets patched out. Jason should not be able to literally shut down one objective without even being there. If he wants to patrol an objective, that's fine, as it means counselors have extra time to coordinate, find weapons and pocketknives, etc.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Multitrapping the phone box is lame af. Multiple traps all around the phone box is one thing, all of them stacked on one another is dumb as hell and I hope that gets patched out. Jason should not be able to literally shut down one objective without even being there. If he wants to patrol an objective, that's fine, as it means counselors have extra time to coordinate, find weapons and pocketknives, etc.

I don't stack because it risks bugging out Jason. I will place all of my traps there, however because they are my traps and I can do as I please with them.

The phone is the most dangerous objective for Jason, especially early game. If you're on a map like Packanack and the phone is in Palmer's Pass area, there's no way to reliably patrol the vehicles and the phone. The traps are an absolute MUST in those situations - as they alert you to the phone attempt.

I will reserve one or two, to either buy some more time on a vehicle they are trying to get together or re-deploy at the phone if someone triggers them. I generally like them all at one objective, because it takes out any mystery as to where the trap went off.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Also last night I tagged a guy with Savini shift-hit, then followed up with a throwing knife. As they limped away, they started crying about how lame it would be if I killed them with throwing knives, so I absolutely decided to kill them with throwing knives.

I guess they were super-salty in post life chat, which is glorious.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know if I got lucky or a good Jason was just loving with me last night, but I managed to Vanessa my way out of a cabin with a tank of gas straight to the boat while he was busy with two other guys in the cabin. The guys in the cabin were hoarding some gas cans, I told them with Jason nearby that I had the propeller on and needed gas, and yet despite my best efforts to apparently be as obvious as possible I managed to slip out to the boat. I hosed up the gas like three times, but still got it going and managed to navigate the rocks of Southern Packanack. Just as I was about ten feet from the exit Jason finally shows up, probably getting cocky thinking he can nab me at the last minute. But I have an uncommon (rare?) boat speed perk and I manage to just miss getting nabbed right at the end.

It made me feel good after my previous game with the same group where I literally killed nobody as Jason. Even the last terrified low-stamina guy, he just ran right past me to the loving cops. :doh:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I am one thousand percent down with this idea.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I like to put all my traps on paths, in front of broken doors or at the stairs to a porch. It's more exciting to be chasing a camper and have them run between the barn fences and get trapped then have them get trapped by a trap on the objective that they know is there but has to trigger it anyway. But then again I'm not a powergamer, I play my Jason games as a dungeon master and try to ensure the campers have an enjoyable time.

Obviously this doesn't work in big group games because everyone has constant comms and searches every cabin in less than 3 minutes.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 28, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Kill them with throwing knives.

For some reason the throwing knife kill in 6 REALLY stuck with me(lol) when I first saw it as a kid. I guess after becoming a weirdo obsessive with the series in later life it kinda sticks out like an odd thumb, but drat if that shot of the cop seeing Jason across the way then biting it wasn't loving cool as hell.

What I'm saying is killing people with throwing knives is cool and good and I do it too on occasion.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

looks like the patch fixed that memory leak poo poo and the crashes, theoretically we shouldn't have to restart anymore

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Phyresis posted:

Essential Perks

Thick Skinned: Take less damage from all incoming attacks. the best perk in the game. completely necessary. it doesn't just apply to "attacks", it reduces the damage from climbing through broken windows, falling damage, trap damage, you name it.

Medic: Get two uses from each Medical Spray. Also increases healing when using a Medical Spray. imo this is the second best perk in the game. the combination of Thick Skinned and Medic is unreal at keeping you alive. One spray is all you need for most matches to stay fresh, which is why I always find three immediately. the increased healing is irrelevant but i wouldn't use one with any amount of the % damage taken penalty, gently caress that

Notes

Marathon: Increases your total Stamina. obviously only worthwhile on the three high Stamina counselors: Nessa, Tiff, Buggs. Tho Buggzy should be kitted out for fighting so he probably doesn't have room for it

Melee build: Heavy Hitter is pretty sick for stunning Jason, especially in combination with Swift Attacker.

Stealth build: Homebody + Level Headed + Low Profile: if you crouch in a cabin you have a hilariously high chance to dodge Sense entirely, like you don't show up on that usage. Best on AJ so she can go fix the power box when he breaks it. darkness will kill you

Grease Monkey would be pretty loving good if it worked.

My Dad's A Cop is less good in goon games because Jason tends to massively trap the phone box in our meta.

most of the other perks suck but there are some traps that need to be mentioned

Firecracker/Hypochondriac/Preparedness/Psychic/Slugger are not good. Crackers aren't even good, like I want to carry one in my ideal setup but Jason can just blockwalk right through them, the best usage is to throw them right before he grabs you and hope they stun him then. There's a medical spray in literally every large cabin and usually one in a deathtrap cabin, there's fucken two or three of them in the public bathroom. The more you play the game the less you need the map, especially when you learn where the map kiosks are. There are walkie-talkies loving e v e r y w h e r e and tbqh it's not that useful if we're using voice comms.

those are arguable but what is inarguable is that the perks that make you complete actions faster will GLITCH YOU THE gently caress OUT. and not in a good way. Never use the perks that make you barricade, repair, or ESPECIALLY climb through windows faster or you will be in for a bad time. That window poo poo will ruin that match for you immediately, like you're hosed until it ends

THANK YOU. I've been making some bad perk choices so this is helpful. Got a red medic perk which is nice though. Had a blast with you guys last night. Had a few drinks before I got on which probably contributed to me dying within 2 minutes each round but still laughed my rear end off at ScaryTerry clowning Jason.

Might be playing quite a bit this weekend as it looks like my camping trip is going to be nixxed due to rain.

So how does everyone feel about a "gentleman's agreement" about discord? Like if you get Jason you gotta mute and deafen yourself until the round is over or something? Someone did that last night and I think it's a good idea.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inside Out Mom posted:

THANK YOU. I've been making some bad perk choices so this is helpful. Got a red medic perk which is nice though. Had a blast with you guys last night. Had a few drinks before I got on which probably contributed to me dying within 2 minutes each round but still laughed my rear end off at ScaryTerry clowning Jason.

Might be playing quite a bit this weekend as it looks like my camping trip is going to be nixxed due to rain.

So how does everyone feel about a "gentleman's agreement" about discord? Like if you get Jason you gotta mute and deafen yourself until the round is over or something? Someone did that last night and I think it's a good idea.

Hey, you didn't die 2 minutes into my round!

also I'm up for whatever you guys decide. I don't think Jason being able to hear the discord matters TOO much though. And i don't say that mostly because then I can directly engage with you guys while I'm Jason.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

i think everyone being on discord adds to the hilarity and charm tbqh

man i try to clown on jason every game, that's the problem, my dumb rear end goes in without a knife all the time and i inevitably burk it up. don't fucken try to gently caress with mista j unless you got a pocketknife, trust me

i've been heading directly for the shack after searching my area pretty much every game

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Psychic would be way better if it just increased your broadcast range to the size of the map. It would make it better than the radio for the first couple of minutes and wind down till being only slightly useful when Jason can't be sure you're actually around of you're talking. The downside being Jason now knows anything you say.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Never use party chat for Friday you scrubs.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
In-game communication is, by designed, limited to those with a walkie talkie. It's part of the game. Also, by design, if Jason is close to you - he can hear what you are saying.

So if you are communicating over discord, it's cheating if you don't have a walkie.

As such, Jason should stay in discord. If you have critical information to share, use the in-game communication such that Jason can't hear you. If you cannot do that because you don't have a walkie - then use Dsicord at your own risk.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Never use party chat for Friday you scrubs.

If it's fun and between friends why not

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

In-game communication is, by designed, limited to those with a walkie talkie. It's part of the game. Also, by design, if Jason is close to you - he can hear what you are saying.

So if you are communicating over discord, it's cheating if you don't have a walkie.

As such, Jason should stay in discord. If you have critical information to share, use the in-game communication such that Jason can't hear you. If you cannot do that because you don't have a walkie - then use Dsicord at your own risk.

or everyone just uses the in game voice comms and plays the game

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

WoodrowSkillson posted:

or everyone just uses the in game voice comms and plays the game

I generally support this, but I'm also in favor of using Discord to cheat against pubbies when it's not a Goon PM but just a few in a group.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Doctor_Acula posted:

I've seen people die on this hill before. I have always understood 1-X to be canon. Is there any reason to this other than it being bad? Cause X is bad and if that thing isn't canon I probably have no reason to live.

In 9's case, it's mostly because it contradicts the nature of Jason that pretty much every other film seems to present. Rather than being a scared/angry child with a brain deficiency and undying loyalty to his mother, whom he believes the campers and councilors are attacking with their presence, 9 paints Jason more as the living embodiment of evil or some poo poo. Also the body snatching hell worm thing was really dumb.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

SilverSupernova posted:

In 9's case, it's mostly because it contradicts the nature of Jason that pretty much every other film seems to present. Rather than being a scared/angry child with a brain deficiency and undying loyalty to his mother, whom he believes the campers and councilors are attacking with their presence, 9 paints Jason more as the living embodiment of evil or some poo poo. Also the body snatching hell worm thing was really dumb.

X is also not canon, the canon is 1-9 and FvJ.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The fact that Jason never actually possesses any women is the biggest sin of the movie.

Friday the 13th began with a woman as the killer, that would have been the best time to throw in a random one for it, even if only for a bit.

Though the fact that Jason felt the need to strip and then shave one of his hosts is kind of hilarious.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Why does it always come back to sex robots with you?

Why ISN'T it about sex robots with you?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

That's what I did in our games a couple nights ago. Discord for general chatter, and in-game walkie for pertinent information for coordinating the best way to stave off dying as long as possible when you were Jason.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I enjoy both. I can see how not using discord helps the game, as you can't tell a living councilor important info if you're dead. But having everyone giving me tips when I randomed into Jason 7 was super helpful. Also hearing people clown on each other always has me laughing my rear end off. Maybe make some strict rules about dead councilors not helping or something?

And WoodrowSkillson get yourself a pc and come play with us. If 1 or two more people join up we'll have two full groups every night.s

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

the discord thing is self-policing but i thought it was a terrible idea to separate jason in discord. keep voice comms to chatter, doesn't have to be a formal rule or nothin' i'm sure it's worked out already. by having this conversation. we did it team

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Inside Out Mom posted:

I enjoy both. I can see how not using discord helps the game, as you can't tell a living councilor important info if you're dead. But having everyone giving me tips when I randomed into Jason 7 was super helpful. Also hearing people clown on each other always has me laughing my rear end off. Maybe make some strict rules about dead councilors not helping or something?

And WoodrowSkillson get yourself a pc and come play with us. If 1 or two more people join up we'll have two full groups every night.s

It evens out.

A dead counselor is not suppose to be able to tell you he hosed off and died in the woods with the fuse.

But if you liberate that information in Discord, now both Jason and the counselors know.

Basically Discord is roughly fair, provided Jason stays in the chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Ok thats fair.

• Locked thread