Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Or maybe introduce Geomancer as a base class taking Scholar, leaving Summoner to the Arcanists.

They're probably not going to do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Hey can somebody explain the difference between a weeb and a final fantasy fan?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, it's more likely that classes are going away entirely at some point than new classes being added.

I'm sticking with caster DPS Geomancer myself with geomantic effects being like a stance system (since obviously they're not going to make your spells actually terrain-dependent).

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Harrow posted:

I'm sticking with caster DPS Geomancer myself with geomantic effects being like a stance system (since obviously they're not going to make your spells actually terrain-dependent).

They're already shown casting shields and saying they're the equivalent to astrologians in the game though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ainsley McTree posted:

They're probably not going to do this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

They're already shown casting shields and saying they're the equivalent to astrologians in the game though.

Ah, I haven't done the Astrologian quest though. I did see someone speculate that the Geomancer in the Astrologian quest actually means that we won't ever get a Geomancer job, because it stresses that they're basically the same as Astrologians but with cultural differences (if I read that right). That'd be a shame, though. Geomancer is cool.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

They still should be Chemists. :colbert:

Seriously. Just straight up lift the FF5 Mix system for their big mechanic. It'd be like Ninja Mudras, mix together two components (out of probably four or five?) to get a specific potion effect.

After three magical healers it'd be nice to have a Machinist-style "mundane" healer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Shy posted:

One consumes Japanese media to the exclusion of pretty much all else and the other likes (some) Final Fantasy games

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
When are we going to get Rostnthal's class, which is some kind of crazy war/mch hybrid that wields and axe in his left hand and a gun in his right?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Shy posted:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

macfam posted:

The fact that the WoL can be a master culinarian doesn't get brought up I don't think. All your meals are cooked by other people in the msq. What must it feel like to politely eat food other people went out of their way to make for you when you are already the best chef in the country.
I will level CUL to 70 if it means a chance spawns whenever you do a daily/weekly cheevo (like recruiting squadmembers) to judge a cooking competition between 2-3 contestants with a choice of a few statements and appropriate NPC response to each besides choosing the winner.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Saint Freak posted:

Just save all your DPS queues for the next expansion pack which will be Dancer (Tank) and Geomancer (Healer).

I think you mean Blue Mage (Tank) and Dancer (Healer)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mordiceius posted:

I think you mean Blue Mage (Tank) and Dancer (Healer)

I don't see how blue mage could thematically match being a tank besides maybe mighty guard. Dancer is at least uhh dodgy

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Shy posted:

a final fantasy fan is someone who just plays final fantasy games and thats it. A weeb is someone who also plays ff games but also plays other japanese games like NieR Automata, persona 5 and reads manga and watches japanese anime that isn't DBZ.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The next expansion is going to be in the Near East and we're getting Dancer as a healer and Blue Mage as a tank. BLU will use its FFXI aesthetic but with maces or some other weapon type, and Dancer will have RDM-style melee dash in abilities that target allies. Believe it - Naruto, 1998

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MMF Freeway posted:

I don't see how blue mage could thematically match being a tank besides maybe mighty guard. Dancer is at least uhh dodgy

Blue Mage literally has to be hit to use Blue Magic.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Shy posted:

No. Nobody can

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I don't even care what role it has I'll play dancer in a heartbeat

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

The next expansion is going to be in the Near East and we're getting Dancer as a healer and Blue Mage as a tank. BLU will use its FFXI aesthetic but with maces or some other weapon type, and Dancer will have RDM-style melee dash in abilities that target allies. Believe it - Naruto, 1998

And they will get their skills how? This is 2017, there is no way they are going to make it like ffxi where you have to go fight mobs to get actual skills which is what all you people want.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

I can see it.

The Blue Mage's primary gimmick is getting damaged by spells in order to learn them. Play that up and have the Blue Mage have magical absorption skills + I donno, Mighty Guard as a physical protect skill and have it feed off enemy attacks in order to fuel its DPS skills.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MMF Freeway posted:

FFXI BLU had defensive buffs like Cocoon, and I mean it's not like half of the existing FFXIV classes really mirror their other game counterparts that closely.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
In a similar way to to Astrologian Geomancer stuff, the Red Mage quest introduces someone probably inspired by a very similar Bravely default class that's also a rapier-using spellcaster, and as near as I can tell just has him be an ex-Red Mage who did some forbidden magic poo poo.

I'd be down with a vampire class in 5.0 so they can hang out with the Dark Knights and whatever other creepy class they want to add., mind

Also the easy way to do a Blue Mage would be to just have it learn special skills in class quests from specific named monsters you fight.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I am 1000% on board for a magic based tank.

I finally hit 70 on PLD last night and did the last dungeon this morning, man they really loving nailed the PLD AF3 and that last dungeon is good times. I have the trial left and I'm looking forward to it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Holyshoot posted:

And they will get their skills how? This is 2017, there is no way they are going to make it like ffxi where you have to go fight mobs to get actual skills which is what all you people want.

:confused:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

UHD posted:

You and a million catgirls.

I'm coming around on the miqo'te, but that starting outfit is godawful. Half the reason I went elf was because she started with pants.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

UHD posted:

It will be Disciple of the Hand and you'll have to craft new dances and busk on the streets of Ul'dah

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Holyshoot posted:

This is like the most easily solved issue. You get them from class quests where you hunt is study a specific monster. Or gently caress, you just learn them as you level up because you have the echo and are uniquely qualified to remember seeing Bad Breath 100 times in your adventuring history. I don't know why you think I care about getting hit to learn poo poo.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Countblanc posted:

This is like the most easily solved issue. You get them from class quests where you hunt is study a specific monster. Or gently caress, you just learn them as you level up because you have the echo and are uniquely qualified to remember seeing Bad Breath 100 times in your adventuring history. I don't know why you think I care about getting hit to learn poo poo.

Same but for Chemist and using items as abilities and not actually consuming them from inventory like some people somehow think SE would actually implement that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Why not? Lots of Blue Mages in FF games have needed to get hit to learn their skills.

I'm thinking they could have defensive cooldowns that turn into other skills based on what they get hit by during the cooldown. Like a short-term "spellsteal" mechanic. Sure, it's not exactly like a classic Blue Mage, but it's thematically consistent, and that's where they went with Red Mage, too (thematically they use white and black magic, but practically they're pure DPS and not a hybrid like classic Red Mage).

Then have their job quests feature hunting down monsters to learn abilities. I know they've backed off on getting your job abilities from quests in Stormblood but there's no reason they couldn't bring it back later.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

UHD posted:

Gonna go with this. SAM is pretty weeaboo, right down to the special attacks that start with the katana sheathed because anime.

It's not "because anime" but because it's an actual Japanese martial art.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaijutsu

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If I can't cast The Wood Remembers to generate AoE threat in 5.0 there is going to be hell to pay.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I will accept BLU if it can learn Cruise Chaser's Destroy The loving Floor skill.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Dr Pepper posted:

It's not "because anime" but because it's an actual Japanese martial art.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaijutsu

The weeb part isn't the whole quick draw sword attack bit, it's the very anime rendition of "re-sheathing your sword for no reason to then draw and attack with it because it looks cool" bit.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Pretty much everything about the samurai mythos exists only because it looks bad rear end.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Glagha posted:

The weeb part isn't the whole quick draw sword attack bit, it's the very anime rendition of "re-sheathing your sword for no reason to then draw and attack with it because it looks cool" bit.

Looking cool is the entire idea :c00l:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man i really wanna level fsh up but its like level 20 and ill burn through all my rested in like an hour and i need that poo poo for level 60 classes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Iaijutsu is the best justification for Samurai potentially having been a tank, given its focus on counterattacking. It makes a really cool DPS job, though, so its current form is also pretty rad.

Their abilities are clearly fueled by magic in FFXIV (hence the ice effects on some of them) so just think of sheathing your sword as an aid in concentrating your magical abilities or something.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 28, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Apparently they've mentioned before that if they do a Samurai-themed tank class it'd probably be called "Shogun", which mostly just makes me picture a heavily armored dude with a war fan instead of a sword

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

unseenlibrarian posted:

Apparently they've mentioned before that if they do a Samurai-themed tank class it'd probably be called "Shogun", which mostly just makes me picture a heavily armored dude with a war fan instead of a sword

Do you have a link to the statement? I'd be interested to read some thoughts on how they plan to expand tank jobs, even if they are scant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomVanDam
Apr 25, 2010
After watching the no clip documentary I've decided to give this another go. I didn't get very far, probably in the 20s. Have they made the first expansion free for all like WoW or would I need to buy it? Sorry if this has been asked before.