Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Burkion posted:

I just can't be bothered to give two shits about this movie.

I really can't.

This is just another reason why. If you're going to cast the character, cast the loving character. Who gives a poo poo what race they are

If you're pissing off racists, YOU'RE DOING A GOOD THING

They didn't do it to cater to racists, they did it to have a *shocking twist* where you think that Peter Parker isn't going to romance Mary Jane, but it turns out that she was MJ the whole time! It's like the SHIELD thing where they used the full name of the organization until the very end when they drop the acronym and fans go "Ohhh!" It's just a wink and a nod thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
NOT MY MARY JANE!!!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They didn't do it to cater to racists, they did it to have a *shocking twist* where you think that Peter Parker isn't going to romance Mary Jane, but it turns out that she was MJ the whole time! It's like the SHIELD thing where they used the full name until the very end when they drop the acronym and fans go "Ohhh!" It's just a wink and a nod thing.

It's stupid and contrived.

Especially after the MONTHS of winking artifice "oh no I'm not that character, pinky promise forever"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Benedict Cumberbatch is NOT Khan you guys. The director has said so repeatedly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Burkion posted:

Especially after the MONTHS of winking artifice "oh no I'm not that character, pinky promise forever"

That's a legit opinion. But the idea that they were desperately trying to cater to racists is silly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's a legit opinion. But the idea that they were desperately trying to cater to racists is silly.

The idea that they were trying "not to offend anyone" isn't ridiculous though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I never said they did.

Al is on point. They didn't want to offend anyone or stir any controversy and they did it in the stupidest way possible.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They would have just made Mary Jane white and not bothered at all if that was the case.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gatts posted:

What did people say about MoS or Hulk in similar case? Cause those are top tier.

They were both met with mixed reviews.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I think if your going to cast a non-white MJ then using Michelle is okay. Mary is, incorrectly, quite a white sounding name.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I think if your going to cast a non-white MJ then using Michelle is okay. Mary is, incorrectly, quite a white sounding name.

Noted white girl Mary J* Blige

*Jane

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 28, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Even with the example Machete gave, if you're going to cast the character just cast the loving character.

Hiding who it really is is always a stupid gimmick. Just a really dumb ploy that no one ever believes.

If you're going to change the character's name, but keep it the same character, there's no real point to it unless you're trying to dodge something. And since they gave her the exact same nickname, they clearly aren't trying to do that.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 28, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I think you guys should edit in some spoiler tags to your posts because it's pretty easy to figure out what's being discussed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think you guys should edit in some spoiler tags to your posts because it's pretty easy to figure out what's being discussed.

FINE DAD

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Burkion posted:

Cool thanks for telling me what's in the spoiler.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Cool thanks for telling me what's in the spoiler.

lol

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

PriorMarcus posted:

Mary is the english version of María an incredibly popular name among latin american women though. If anything Michelle is more white sounding.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Wait, she's not called Mary Jane because she's Peter's weed hookup?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
This is the dumbest possible thing to spoiler.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

K. Waste posted:

It's nice that you think so but not if you think you get to decide that for everyone else. I shouldn't have answered the question in the first place.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Someone got mad at me once years ago for spoilering that in the original King Kong film, King Kong dies at the end.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Someone got mad at me once years ago for spoilering that in the original King Kong film, King Kong dies at the end.

Wait what

No

No I don't believe that. No one is that stupid.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's nice that you think so but not if you think you get to decide that for everyone else. I shouldn't have answered the question in the first place.

Just dont see what the big deal in spoiling it is tbh, it's something everyone has known since production with only the studio/actors denying it and doesn't seem to alter the movie's story in any significant way

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Barudak posted:

Twas beauty what killed the beast.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Just dont see what the big deal in spoiling it is tbh, it's something everyone has known since production with only the studio/actors denying it and doesn't seem to alter the movie's story in any significant way

I don't personally care but like I said it's not my decision to make for other people who might. My brother in law is the hugest spoiler-phobe I know and I think it's incredibly silly but I still try to respect it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hay guys MJ in the new Spider-Man is a woman of color and her name is not exactly the same but she's sorta the same character so we're gonna discuss this minor detail for the next 50 pages and blow it up.

Still think they should have casted Angie Everhart. Peter Parker: Spider-Man

"What kind of spider are you?"
"Milf Hunter."

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Noted white girl Mary J* Blige

*Jane

Literally the other three Mary Janes that I could even think of were her, the love interest from Half Baked, and the lead character on a BET show called Becoming Mary Jane.

I cannot think of a single white non-Spider-Man Mary Jane

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Twas beauty what killed the beast.

Twas video what killed the radio star.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In King Kong Jr. you find it King Kong survived and Jr. has to save him from some plumber

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

In King Kong Jr. you find it King Kong survived and Jr. has to save him from some plumber

I can't wait for King Kong 3 where King Kong repeatedly receives a pesticide enema

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This is the same as catering to racists.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

I can't wait for King Kong 3 where King Kong repeatedly receives a pesticide enema

He has to learn math first.

Burkion posted:

Wait what

No

No I don't believe that. No one is that stupid.

They got extremely indignant when I pointed out the film was 80 years old and had been remade multiple times and that as adults, we had all had ample time in our lives with which to see the film.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Thanks for robbing me of moment when I discover MJ is black or whatever you guys are talking about. I was really looking forward to that plot twist reveal in the theater. I would have gone "WHOA SHE'S BLACK?!?!" and been really shocked you guys

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Please do that anyway. Just make sure when you do you also shout "YES!" and clap a couple times, so everybody doesn't register your shock as disapproving.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

He has to learn math first.

They got extremely indignant when I pointed out the film was 80 years old and had been remade multiple times and that as adults, we had all had ample time in our lives with which to see the film.

I've literally never seen any king kong movie but that poo poo is so pop culture I knew that. Do they live under a literal rock?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Barudak posted:

My favourite dumb thing I've seen a goon get upset about was someone mentioned that The Wind Rises was about the life of a guy that designed airplanes.
Legit upset over reading the basic premise of the film because they wanted to go in blind.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cerepol posted:

I've literally never seen any king kong movie but that poo poo is so pop culture I knew that. Do they live under a literal rock?

Believe it or not, your experiences aren't universal.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
King Kong is one of the greatest films of the 1930s, and easily the most technically impressive, to the point where another film like it wasn't even truly attempted for decades after.

It is, simply, one of the best movies ever made on near every level.

Not knowing that Beauty Killed The Beast is like not knowing Rosebud was his sled. I could see this new generation, the ones born in the 2000s, maybe not getting it if they were too young to see Peter Jackson's King Kong, but anyone born before 2005 should drat well know what happens to Kong in the end.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Burkion posted:

Not knowing that Beauty Killed The Beast is like not knowing Rosebud was his sled.

Dude! Come on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I watched the film Citizen Kane in theaters and didnt know what Rosebud was, so I got to experience that dissapointing reveal in real time, but I was also like 8 years old.

• Locked thread