Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
It would be neat to have a re-raise spell. I have to imagine it'd be busted as hell and in practice isn't all that different from skills like living dead or whatever, but "you survive this attack that legit killed you" is a personal FF favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Reiterpallasch posted:

melee-range healers, even melee-damage-range healers, would break a lot of existing fight design. the distance-based plumes in lakshmi that force the healers to run to outer space to not die would be impossible to handle on dancer, for example.

The answer to this is to give the Dancer some ranged attacks.

Like, they can just make them pseudo-magical by having a ranged dance combo. Heck, maybe something like the melee attack does less healing but more damage, while the ranged ones do more healing but less damage.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Huh? The AST gauge is trash. There's no way anymore to dismiss a held card/royal road effect other than play it. It's unnecessarily irritating, and like the PLD gauge, it just feels like it's there so the job has a gauge.

Mordiceius posted:

Nah. The changes suck. The most annoying, to me, is not being able to remove a spread card. Sleeve draw is cool except when you get a lovely card thrown into your spread slot and then you can't put anything else there to replace it.

You know if you already have those slots filled on your gauge Sleeve Draw won't overwrite them right?

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:

Ouhei posted:

I am 1000% on board for a magic based tank.

I finally hit 70 on PLD last night and did the last dungeon this morning, man they really loving nailed the PLD AF3 and that last dungeon is good times. I have the trial left and I'm looking forward to it.

:ohdear:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alakaiser posted:

It would be neat to have a re-raise spell. I have to imagine it'd be busted as hell and in practice isn't all that different from skills like living dead or whatever, but "you survive this attack that legit killed you" is a personal FF favorite.

They've even got the basics of it with the pomanders in POTD that auto-raise you when you die.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

A breath ability that triggers when you do a shelltron style deflect ability, a self explosion that doesn't actually damage you because some grenades don't die when they blow up, a web that slows mobs when they stand in it, and then some goblin punch poo poo or something. Not being able to do blue mage because "monster abilities are too strong" is a very silly argument.

not that you couldn't make that work, but all those abilities except goblin punch sound like something that should be on cooldown, not a weaponskill/weaponskill equivalent. i guess ffv blue mages could equip swords, you might be able to get away with just giving them mystic knight flavor or something.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can totally see the next tank (or DPS) be a Beastmaster. Make their weapon be claws (and separate out the claws from Monks like they did for shortswords for Ninjas) and have their skills summon beasts to do stuff.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Alakaiser posted:

Just have Angel Whisper be the BLU tank's version of Living Dead combined with Excogitation. Instead of you actually dying it just plops you back at full health when you WOULD'VE died.

Reiterpallasch posted:

not that you couldn't make that work, but all those abilities except goblin punch sound like something that should be on cooldown, not a weaponskill/weaponskill equivalent. i guess ffv blue mages could equip swords, you might be able to get away with just giving them mystic knight flavor or something.

A class with no 1-2-3 rotation just a shitload of on-GCD short cooldowns would be an amusing concept, to be honest. Do whatever, in whatever order, as the situation calls for it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Just have Angel Whisper be the BLU tank's version of Living Dead combined with Excogitation. Instead of you actually dying it just plops you back at full health when you WOULD'VE died.

colossally broken, unless you somehow keep vuln up/resist down debuffs after you're "reraised"

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I can totally see the next tank (or DPS) be a Beastmaster. Make their weapon be claws (and separate out the claws from Monks like they did for shortswords for Ninjas) and have their skills summon beasts to do stuff.

I always imagined BST having either whips or handaxes as their weapon, with a revamped Companion system to allow you to summon more than just your chocobro.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Leofish posted:

If they make a chemist healer in a new expansion, they should be like the X-2 alchemists.

I know lots of people aren't super keen on FFX-2 but come on, who wouldn't want to shoot potions at people?

A huge mistake was made, by calling it "Armory" and not "Dressphere".

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
like, i realize i'm just making GBS threads on a lot of ideas here, but ffxiv is welded really tightly to the trinity and has a very clear vision for what each member of the trinity should be able to do. it's not really an accident that all the tanks do pretty much the same thing with different flavor/secondary resource mechanics, for example. not having to account for 30 different wild and wacky class gimmicks is one of the reason fight design in this game is so good.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I was thinking of it more as a healer button. Kind of like Zilean/Kharazim's rez ult in League of Legends/Heroes of the Storm: you know a certain character is going to die, you cast re-raise on them, they're dead/invul/whatever for a second or two and then come back to life with [insert number here] HP/MP. The catch is that the re-raise buff only lasts for a few seconds. Basically an anti-tankbuster oh poo poo button.

edit: This is not a serious idea I do not think any of my idle musings would be balanced at all

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Reiterpallasch posted:

colossally broken, unless you somehow keep vuln up/resist down debuffs after you're "reraised"

I don't understand how it's any more broken than Living Dead going off and catching a Benediction? Like, this would be their Hallowed Ground, their Holmgang. "If you die during this ten second window, you don't actually die".

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

New healer is Chemist, whose weapon is a grenade launcher that can fire actual grenades for their damage skills and mix (a la ninjitsu) healing salvos for their heal skills. Job done. You can pay me by check, SE.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Not being able to do blue mage because "monster abilities are too strong" is a very silly argument.

There's literally nothing saying BLU has to be 1:1 to other forms of blue mage. They can just define Blue magic to be inspired or based on monster abilities, rather then literal reproductions of monster abilities either, not unlike how Red Magic is a distinct thing despite it not being it's own magic type in the past.

Alakaiser posted:

I was thinking of it more as a healer button. Kind of like Zilean...

Which reminds me, Time Mage as healer??? :v: From what I remember from other FF games it's more of a support caster then an offensive caster.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Should go the SWTOR route and have a healer that shoots healing bullets.

WHO warrior priest. Build up your healing juice by fighting in melee.

The healing bullets in TOR are reflective of four of the six healers being ranged non-Force classes. They deploy medical droids and probes of various sorts, throw grenades filled with healing goo, scan people (don't ask how this heals), and in the case of operatives, fire syringes full of healing goo from their bracers - which are also used to fire various other darts and needles at enemies.

They eventually added an animation for operatives using their basic heal on themselves where they just stab themselves with a syringe.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I don't understand how it's any more broken than Living Dead going off and catching a Benediction? Like, this would be their Hallowed Ground, their Holmgang. "If you die during this ten second window, you don't actually die".

a lot of bosses apply a debuff together with their tankbuster that's intended to force a tank swap (hallowed ground is extremely good at cheating this, for obvious reasons)

a lot of bosses also smear out their tankbusters along many hits over an extended amount of time, or follow up a tankbuster with a second moderate hit (living dead is extremely good at cheating this, because the "invincible" period granted is quite long)

if i understand your proposal correctly, you've basically suggested an invincibility cooldown that has the advantages of both hallowed ground and living dead--i'd have killed for something like it during the mega-tankbuster at the end of a12s' pool mechanics, for example.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

like, i realize i'm just making GBS threads on a lot of ideas here, but ffxiv is welded really tightly to the trinity and has a very clear vision for what each member of the trinity should be able to do. it's not really an accident that all the tanks do pretty much the same thing with different flavor/secondary resource mechanics, for example. not having to account for 30 different wild and wacky class gimmicks is one of the reason fight design in this game is so good.

uhhhh actually my really cool idea for a class that that completely shatters every paradigm that has been in this game for nearly four years is totally going to happen, my uncle at nintendo said so

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

UHD posted:

I don't even care what role it has I'll play dancer in a heartbeat

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

i mean, ostensibly the only issue with it is that it gives you full HP. i don't think this made up ability would actually have you die, just 'the first time you would die, go to full HP instead'. you wouldn't be dropping buffs or debuffs, it would just give you a second HP pool.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fister Roboto posted:

uhhhh actually my really cool idea for a class that that completely shatters every paradigm that has been in this game for nearly four years is totally going to happen, my uncle at nintendo said so

my uncle said your uncle got fired for being sloshed at work

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i can't wait for my weaponskill finisher to fizzle out 3 times in a row, then oneshot a raid boss

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
At 12:00 p.m. (PDT), we will be logging all characters out from the game. We ask you to please log out before we begin the process. More details: http://sqex.to/jbH

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Verranicus posted:

At 12:00 p.m. (PDT), we will be logging all characters out from the game. We ask you to please log out before we begin the process. More details: http://sqex.to/jbH

Finally, being an American working adult pays off!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

a lot of bosses apply a debuff together with their tankbuster that's intended to force a tank swap (hallowed ground is extremely good at cheating this, for obvious reasons)

a lot of bosses also smear out their tankbusters along many hits over an extended amount of time, or follow up a tankbuster with a second moderate hit (living dead is extremely good at cheating this, because the "invincible" period granted is quite long)

if i understand your proposal correctly, you've basically suggested an invincibility cooldown that has the advantages of both hallowed ground and living dead--i'd have killed for something like it during the mega-tankbuster at the end of a12s' pool mechanics, for example.

Depends, if its just a self raise that automatically triggers when at 0 health then its not strong at all. Its actually a fair bit weaker than all three of the tanks "Dont die" cooldowns. If it actually gives you the full death immunity while its running and then full heals you then its actually a fair bit stronger than DRKs

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Everyone wants dancer / blue mage and here I am just wanting a third Scholar dot back.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Please include my favorite classes Mediator (Healer) and Black Guy But His Hand Is Actually A Gun (Tank)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's stupid to me that once you hit 50, you can't switch into other jobs at 30. There are five classes that start higher than 1. Just let me skip the first 30 no-job levels of a class once I've got one to 50.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Reiterpallasch posted:

You wouldn't dodge the debuff because you don't actually die, even for a fraction of a second. It would be applied as normal, you'd just be at full HP.

For multi-hit tankbusters you'd eat everything as normal after the hit that "kills" you returns you to full HP. So in the case of a 20k hit, then a 10k hit, then a 5k, if the 20k hit kills you, the 10k one hits you at full health leaving you at full health minus 10k, then the 5k hit leaves you 15k total down from your max. You wouldn't just ignore the lot like Living Dead.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

nuru posted:

Everyone wants dancer / blue mage and here I am just wanting a third Scholar dot back.

They should just decouple SCH from ARC already and have them be their own thing.

Attack fairy and rainbow magic for SCH please SE

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

i can't wait for my weaponskill finisher to fizzle out 3 times in a row, then oneshot a raid boss

yeah just like i can't wait to go bankrupt using gil toss on my samurai or to kill zombies using raise or any number of things jobs did in other final fantasy games that they don't do here

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Please include my favorite classes Mediator (Healer) and Black Guy But His Hand Is Actually A Gun (Tank)

SOrry, we already have a class whose fists are deadly weapons

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm surprised nobody has brought up evasion tanks yet, that's my favorite stupid suggestion.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Yeah, it'd have its own set of combos like a mystic knight sort of thing. Ever dps/tank in the game has combos to be their bread and butter with abilities as flavor. Sometimes, like with monk, the combos ARE the flavor and it is good and makes sense, but having some combos and then the monster abilities on top would probably be how BLU ends up working out in the long run.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm surprised nobody has brought up evasion tanks yet, that's my favorite stupid suggestion.

I healed during ICC at the end of wrath. I know where evasion tanks end and it's not pretty.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Fister Roboto posted:

Perhaps you'd like to hear my Gambler Tank idea where they block random amounts of damage.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I've always thought they had cool flavor but they just don't work ever.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I mean when people bring up dancer I thought they meant as an evasion tank.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

MarquiseMindfang posted:

You wouldn't dodge the debuff because you don't actually die, even for a fraction of a second. It would be applied as normal, you'd just be at full HP.

For multi-hit tankbusters you'd eat everything as normal after the hit that "kills" you returns you to full HP. So in the case of a 20k hit, then a 10k hit, then a 5k, if the 20k hit kills you, the 10k one hits you at full health leaving you at full health minus 10k, then the 5k hit leaves you 15k total down from your max. You wouldn't just ignore the lot like Living Dead.

oh, i misinterpreted you then, my bad. you've got the opposite problem going on then where the move is kind of garbage as an holmgang-equivalent, since plenty of tankbusters will straight up apply 5x your hp in damage across multiple hits, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Perhaps you'd like to hear my Gambler Tank idea where they block random amounts of damage.
Mimic tank that hurts itself for the amount enemies hurt it.