Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I think Golden Sun was one of the first big available RPGs on the GBA and it looked real pretty at the time which probably accounts for most of people's fondness (imagined or otherwise) for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Real hurthling! posted:

Golden sun is dogshit the opening is like more meaningless text than my posts when i get off work itt.

Like 50 bubbles from every character for an hour

The amount of text between the last point you can save and the actual final boss fight is downright criminal.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if you truly wish to relive the horror of Golden Sun and go beyond whenever you gave up on it, I strongly recommend the Let's Play of it, which is a fascinating travesty:

https://lparchive.org/Golden-Sun/

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I wish the people behind Golden Sun instead continued making Shining Force games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Just play Lufia II if you want Golden Sun's neat puzzle dungeon gameplay without the bad "seven hundred million lines of dialogue" plot

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Healbot posted:

I wish the people behind Golden Sun instead continued making Shining Force games.

didn't they, though, for the xbox, and it was awful

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Healbot posted:

I wish the people behind Golden Sun instead continued making Mario Tennis.

FTFY

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

if you truly wish to relive the horror of Golden Sun and go beyond whenever you gave up on it, I strongly recommend the Let's Play of it, which is a fascinating travesty:

https://lparchive.org/Golden-Sun/

This lp owns tho

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Healbot posted:

time for a sequel to Beyond the Beyond, oh wait they made 3 more

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The White Dragon posted:

Are you mixing it up with Vandal Hearts, there aren't any Xbox Shining games, not even the bad action RPGs wearing it's skin.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Just play Lufia II

this is good gaming advice in general

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The White Dragon posted:

There are no sequels, only terrible Action-RPG's (and lots of mobile titles), none of which were made by Camelot.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
A hundred posts about status effects being useful and nobody mentioned Valkyrie Profile

Nobody ever does :(

(It also did a prequel right by playing it straight until TIME TRAVEL happens, which kinda makes it a reverse Life is Strange)

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Also gimme the whole SF3 set Sega, you fucks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sweetgrass posted:

this is good gaming advice in general

:agreed: actually

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I wish Camelot would continue making good Mario sports RPGs

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

Are you mixing it up with Vandal Hearts, there aren't any Xbox Shining games, not even the bad action RPGs wearing it's skin.

right right right vandal hearts

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mak0rz posted:

Just play Lufia II if you want Golden Sun's neat puzzle donjon gameplay without the bad "seven hundred million lines of dialogue" plot

Lufia 2 is such a good loving game. Lufia 1 is like.... fine, it's a very very standard jrpg that has too much NES in its aesthetic for a SNES game, and Lufia 3 has a lot of really good points but suffers from being a GBC game and bad procedurally generated dungeons. But 2 is so loving solid. Some of the best dungeon design in any game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Monkey Fracas posted:

Are there any other RPGs that have sorta turn-based combat with some manner of engagement beyond picking your moves and watching your characters do them and does it really help the battle system at all? Remember all of the Paper Mario games and all of the Mario+Luigi games being like this

The Baten Kaitos games, where you create chains and combos on your turn. There's no rhythm games or anything but it's involved.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

The Baten Kaitos games, where you create chains and combos on your turn. There's no rhythm games or anything but it's involved.

I've only played the first one but it seriously sucked when your hand was nothing but defense and healing cards on your turn, or nothing but offense cards on your enemy's

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
the first mana khemia game actually had a really solid battle system, for the like the first 15-20% of the game it's just introducing concepts and abilities but then you start getting more characters and you get the ability to swap different people in at the start and end of every turn with different effects/attacks depending on who and when you popped them in

it's really just a very refined form of FFX's battle system but with less generic party members (mechanically speaking), and it feels really good to land powerful combos or mitigate attacks by timing things well

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lurdiak posted:

Lufia 2 is such a good loving game. Lufia 1 is like.... fine, it's a very very standard jrpg that has too much NES in its aesthetic for a SNES game, and Lufia 3 has a lot of really good points but suffers from being a GBC game and bad procedurally generated dungeons. But 2 is so loving solid. Some of the best dungeon design in any game.

i know but knowing that it ends with lufia 1 is just such a huge downer that it casts this shadow over the rest of the game that makes me never bother finishing it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Samuringa posted:

A hundred posts about status effects being useful and nobody mentioned Valkyrie Profile

Nobody ever does :(

(It also did a prequel right by playing it straight until TIME TRAVEL happens, which kinda makes it a reverse Life is Strange)

Speaking of which, we've joked about titles before but what are some things you'd actually like to see implemented in a Life is Strange sequel?

As for me:

-Punch up the dialogue a bit to make the characters sound less like 90's stereotypes (though it does get better later on at least) or double down and make it even more ridiculous, just don't try to half-rear end it.

-Play up the supernatural element a little more (basically I want more stuff like the nightmare sequence from episode 5, only in a way that actually matters to the general plot)

-If you bring back the Rewind mechanic or something similar put some kind of limitation on it so it's less of a get out of jail free card. In the original, with a handful of exceptions (Such as Kate and the ending), you could take back pretty much every decision you made in the game. Maybe even implement some kind of combat mechanic if there's a situation where things really get out of hand.

-Related to that, have your choices not only matter in the end but actually shape the direction of the plot as well. Not sure how well this would work but having at least one alternate pathway through the game would be a good way to shake things up and add some replayability to it seeing as how in the original you were pretty much railroaded into following the same basic plot no matter how much of an rear end in a top hat you played Max as.

-Keep the multiple ending aspect but have more than two possible choices (if you think about it there is no inherently "good" ending to Life is Strange no matter which choice you pick in the end considering either way Max has to indirectly kill someone and live with the consequences from it).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 28, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ometeotl posted:

FFX-2 does this as well, although its basically an ATB system with bonuses for timing attacks properly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Punch up the dialogue to make them sound more like teens, I say. Compared to Riverdale, LiS had comparatively little "teen 'tude"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Punch up the dialogue to make them sound more like teens, I say. Compared to Riverdale, LiS had comparatively little "teen 'tude"

we need to push those hellas people

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Chloe should find a fidget spinner that lets her rewind time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Chloe should find a fidget spinner that lets her rewind time

Oh hell yeah!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ometeotl posted:

There was also the PS1's Legend of Legaia, where you did all your moves as multi-button combos, and some combos did special moves.
I really liked that game when I played it in like 1997, seems like it's been mostly forgotten though. I never played the sequel on PS2 but I think I remember hearing it wasn't that good.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Legend of Legaia was also balls hard, I could never get past the crab boss.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

After restrictive cart sizes FF7 was basically Wow Look At All This Space the game

And then they still decided it needed three discs lol

It still wouldn't have fit on a cart but the discs are mostly fmvs.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

I think Golden Sun was one of the first big available RPGs on the GBA and it looked real pretty at the time which probably accounts for most of people's fondness (imagined or otherwise) for it

This, more or less. It scratched the jrpg grind itch and looked nice for the gba.

As for games with good status play, nobody mentioned FFT/FFTA? I can't speak for FFT, as I never played it(blasphemy, I know), but in FFTA, not only were status effects big on limiting options and countering strategies, but the law system sometimes came out of nowhere to stiff you on a conflict.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Sleep was insanely useful in FFTA because it gave everything 100% accuracy on the victim, including the all important Steal: Ability

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mistle posted:

This, more or less. It scratched the jrpg grind itch and looked nice for the gba.

As for games with good status play, nobody mentioned FFT/FFTA? I can't speak for FFT, as I never played it(blasphemy, I know), but in FFTA, not only were status effects big on limiting options and countering strategies, but the law system sometimes came out of nowhere to stiff you on a conflict.

I don't remember status effects being all that useful in FFT except for anything that affects whether you can execute commands or how often (i.e. sleep/stop/slow/haste)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should make a new Tactics Advance

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the let's play of ffta is really good because he abuses sleep to steal like literally everything except shoes. and also abuses everything else in the game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

youtube recommended to me this baller old man who loves to carve wood in the japanese style heck yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jaq7ifgcto

but then i'm like wait that's star fox

and it turns out it's from this series which i'd seen before but i didn't know they were actual factual prints holy moly

god bless this grandpa

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oddium posted:

the let's play of ffta is really good because he abuses sleep to steal like literally everything except shoes. and also abuses everything else in the game

Where is this let's play you speak of, I am interested

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mak0rz posted:

Just play Lufia II if you want Golden Sun's neat puzzle dungeon gameplay without the bad "seven hundred million lines of dialogue" plot

Quotin' dis for truthiness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Where is this let's play you speak of, I am interested

https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-Tactics-Advance/

• Locked thread