Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'm going to post in the Comic Book Movie Megathread that I saw Citizen Kane and did not think it was the greatest film ever made.

I also had Rosebud spoiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
This reminds me of when I was plowing through the DC UNIVERSE ANIMATED ORIGINAL MOVIES and I got to Gods and Monsters, and there was a special feature called "Infinite Worlds - Infinite Possibilities." And that's where this whole Michelle/MJ thing is coming from. The strict constructionism of comic book canon is so puerile that even the most minor changes in superficial content with no constructive narrative or thematic effect are suitably suggestive of 'infinite possibility.'

Like, Colonel Whitey is doing his best to steer the discussion in good faith for people who don't want to know that Michelle and MJ are interchangeable - but the reason it's easy to figure out that they're interchangeable isn't because we haven't spoiler-ed it. It's easy to figure out because there is a persistent generic pattern within every single iteration of Spider-Man that Peter Parker has some GND/out-of-his-league love interest. So at that point we're shielding people from the fact that movies are made up, or that formula are recycled.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Barudak posted:

Someone got mad at me once years ago for spoilering that in the original King Kong film, King Kong dies at the end.

I was 19 when Titanic and at a restaraunt I overheard some people that were at least in their mid to late 20s, if not older, complaining that a review had ruined the fact that the ship sank.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Barudak posted:

I watched the film Citizen Kane in theaters and didnt know what Rosebud was, so I got to experience that dissapointing reveal in real time, but I was also like 8 years old.

10 Beers posted:

I was 19 when Titanic and at a restaraunt I overheard some people that were at least in their mid to late 20s, if not older, complaining that a review had ruined the fact that the ship sank.

I have this movie called "The Crying Game" in my Netflix queue. Is it worth checking out?

And sooner or later I need to get around to watching "The Empire Strikes Back", "Psycho", "Friday the 13th" and "Primal Fear". Also I hear good things about "Chinatown", "The SIxth Sense" and "Planet of the Apes. Confirm/deny anyone?

edit; is there a Spiderman: Homecoming thread anywhere?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 28, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

K. Waste posted:

This reminds me of when I was plowing through the DC UNIVERSE ANIMATED ORIGINAL MOVIES and I got to Gods and Monsters, and there was a special feature called "Infinite Worlds - Infinite Possibilities." And that's where this whole Michelle/MJ thing is coming from. The strict constructionism of comic book canon is so puerile that even the most minor changes in superficial content with no constructive narrative or thematic effect are suitably suggestive of 'infinite possibility.'

Like, Colonel Whitey is doing his best to steer the discussion in good faith for people who don't want to know that Michelle and MJ are interchangeable - but the reason it's easy to figure out that they're interchangeable isn't because we haven't spoiler-ed it. It's easy to figure out because there is a persistent generic pattern within every single iteration of Spider-Man that Peter Parker has some GND/out-of-his-league love interest. So at that point we're shielding people from the fact that movies are made up, or that formula are recycled.

You're treating movies like they're just a bullet point list of things that happen rather than an art form that is to be experienced as it unfolds. Some people like to be surprised by things that are meant to be surprises, even if you don't like them or find them interesting. My general rule of thumb is that if something is in a trailer it's fair game but if not then just be cool and don't talk about it without tags. Especially if the movie is still a week from general release. I don't get why that's so hard for some people or why you want to be the arbiter of what matters.

And yes I put tags in the quote just in case people decide to be cool and go back and scrub their posts (this will not happen but whatever)

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 28, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

'a spider-man character that always shows up, shows up' doesn't suddenly become an essential movie-ruining spoiler just because the company decided to be weirdly coy about it in the pre-release stuff

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

"Movies today give away everything in the trailers!"

"How dare the movie try to trick me by not laying this out explicitly in the trailers!"

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

You're treating movies like they're just a bullet point list of things that happen rather than an art form

Isn't this what Sony is doing?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I liked the movie, but if you think so then sure

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The Emoji movie isn't out for two more weeks.

Give them a chance.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I liked the movie, but if you think so then sure

One of the trailers makes it seem like Keaton's motivation is partly fueled by classism. Does the movie do much with this?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

K. Waste posted:

IMHO, the reason why they're doing what they're doing is because movie-going people are inherently stupid and if you change a major pop culture figure in a certain way, there will be mass confusion.

For a comic book example, when Jason Todd died (sorry for the spoiler), mainstream America was horrified not because Jason Todd died, but because they thought Dick Grayson died. As much as Miles Morales as Spider-Man would be kickin' rad in a big-budget movie, his absence from the American zeitgeist makes this impractical for Sony.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Mainstream America wasn't even remotely aware that Robin died, you can probably be sure of that.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I don't mind MJ being black, but couldn't they have cast Idris Elba in the role?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Triple H as MJ.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I heard they cast a white dude as MJ actually

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Real life thing that happened in the cinema when the first lord of the rings movie came out

Final scene of movie

credits start playing

woman in front of us : well that was a rubbish ending, it didn't make any sense

woman next to her : yeah if that's how the book ended then I'm glad I didn't read it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Real life thing that happened in the cinema when the first lord of the rings movie came out

Final scene of movie

credits start playing

woman next to her : yeah if that's how the book ended then I'm glad I didn't read it.

That's probably because the English can't understand stories from Middle-earth. Tolkein's work was mostly in Elvish and uses a lot of allegory. The English are notoriously bad at interpreting those works.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

One of the trailers makes it seem like Keaton's motivation is partly fueled by classism. Does the movie do much with this?

Eh not really. That was a weak point. His motivation is fueled by being pushed out of a government contract as a small business and then he monologues a bit about it near the end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Colonel Whitey posted:

Eh not really. That was a weak point. His motivation is fueled by being pushed out of a government contract as a small business and then he monologues a bit about it near the end.

Sounds like Spidey should join him instead of being a child soldier for Raytheon.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sounds like Spidey should join him instead of being a child soldier for Raytheon.

I'm not sure being a black market arms dealer is quite up Spidey's alley.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
What kind of contract? A defense work contract or like road construction work? (probably not mentioned but I wanted to ask)

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

What kind of contract? A defense work contract or like road construction work? (probably not mentioned but I wanted to ask)

Cleanup after the battle of NY from Avengers 1. Tony Stark and a new Federal agency under DHS swoop in and take over the cleanup even though Toomes signed a contract for the work with the city. The government wanted the alien tech but Toomes stole some and turned it into weapons to sell on the black market.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That's probably because the English can't understand stories from Middle-earth. Tolkein's work was mostly in Elvish and uses a lot of allegory. The English are notoriously bad at interpreting those works.

I'm Nigerian.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Pretty sure Tolkien has said there's no allegory in Lord of the Rings and people are just reading into it too much.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colonel Whitey posted:

When is Marvel finally going to greenlight the Street Fight Radio superhero flick about standing up to Small Business Tyrants?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

Cleanup after the battle of NY from Avengers 1. Tony Stark and a new Federal agency under DHS swoop in and take over the cleanup even though Toomes signed a contract for the work with the city. The government wanted the alien tech but Toomes stole some and turned it into weapons to sell on the black market.

Thanks, and lol.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RatHat posted:

Pretty sure Tolkien has said there's no allegory in Lord of the Rings and people are just reading into it too much.

Hey Tolkien, what were you trying to get at with the big nosed, nomadic, meiserly Dwarf race?

Tolkien: "They're dwarves, duh."

Electromax
May 6, 2007
He's said a bit more than that.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Racism_in_Tolkien%27s_Works#Dwarves_as_Jews

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Barudak posted:

I watched the film Citizen Kane in theaters and didnt know what Rosebud was, so I got to experience that dissapointing reveal in real time, but I was also like 8 years old.

Citizen Kane was spoiled for me by an episode of Real Ghostbusters. I think I was about 6 when I saw that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Final scene of movie

credits start playing

I agree with these two women. It's very hard to not feel disappointed when you watch the first of a trilogy and its going to be years and years before the trilogy concludes. For a lot of people it felt like the movie ended right as it was getting good.

At least it didn't pull a Hobbit 2, and have a cliffhanger ending that gets completely resolved less than 10 minutes into the third film.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lamont posted:

Citizen Kane was spoiled for me by an episode of Real Ghostbusters. I think I was about 6 when I saw that.

I once watched the Graduate with someone and when the church ending happens he said "Oh, that's what the Simpsons was referencing."

He phrased it this way because I never stop giving him poo poo for the time we were watching The Shining and he said "They took those twins from the Simpsons."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mainstream America wasn't even remotely aware that Robin died, you can probably be sure of that.

They'd only be as aware of it as they were when Superman died, or Captain America died: from some ratings-grabbing report on CNN/Fox News.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When I watched Easy Rider for the first time last year, I just knew I was gonna see something that had been referenced in pop culture that I didn't know was a reference. Was surprised that I didn't recognize anything. And then the finale on the freeway happened and the end of season 1 of Venture Bros was suddenly that much funnier.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

STAC Goat posted:

I once watched the Graduate with someone and when the church ending happens he said "Oh, that's what the Simpsons was referencing."

He phrased it this way because I never stop giving him poo poo for the time we were watching The Shining and he said "They took those twins from the Simpsons."

This is how I learned many pop culture references

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

He didn't say the latter, and explicitly denied allegory because he wanted people to "read into it", because Tolkien, while horribly racist and sexist, at least understood that turning your brain off is a bad thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pachakuti posted:

He didn't say the latter, and explicitly denied allegory because he wanted people to "read into it", because Tolkien, while horribly racist and sexist, at least understood that turning your brain off is a bad thing.

I don't know that Tolkien was horribly racist and sexist, he did tell Nazis who loved his work to go gently caress themselves. He wasn't even particularly reactionary. What he was is classist to the bone.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

I don't know that Tolkien was horribly racist and sexist, he did tell Nazis who loved his work to go gently caress themselves. He wasn't even particularly reactionary. What he was is classist to the bone.

Eh, he never even considered the Sambo-esque descriptions of black people or the grass-skirted primitive who speaks in broken English for revision while preparing the second edition of Lord of the Rings. Not to mention how he immediately reached for Asian people as a descriptor for how ugly orcs are. As for sexism, that's actually a really complicated subject in Tolkienology because he wrote a blisteringly misogynistic letter to his oldest son but also maintained the highest percentage of women as graduate students in the English department while he was teaching.

Tolkien was certainly less bigoted than you'd assume from him being a college professor raised by a priest who was born in the 1890s, but he was still pretty bigoted.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the thing

If you were born X amount of years ago, you are almost definitely more racist than is the average nowadays.

We are only slowly sort of KIND OF learning not to be so completely racist and awful to one another, some times.

Tolkien was likely very racist by today's standards but he did not grow up under today's standards.

You can point out any otherwise great and wonderful person in history, and bring up how awful they were compared to today's morality. But that's a good thing. If we could perfectly agree with some one from like, 100 years ago, what the gently caress does that say about society that we haven't improved at all?

HP Lovecraft is an excellent case for this. By all rights, very nice, if not extremely neurotic and scared, individual, who just so happened to be afraid of everything he did not understand, especially if they weren't white. What kind of person would he have been if he grew up in a more modern standard? Who knows. We can't talk about that.

The past should always be worse than the present, because otherwise we are hardly making a better future. I'm sure our children/grand children are going to look back on us and go "Wow, what awful assholes" about something or other that we don't even consider. Maybe robot rights who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burkion posted:

Here's the thing

If you were born X amount of years ago, you are almost definitely more racist than is the average nowadays.

We are only slowly sort of KIND OF learning not to be so completely racist and awful to one another, some times.

Tolkien was likely very racist by today's standards but he did not grow up under today's standards.

You can point out any otherwise great and wonderful person in history, and bring up how awful they were compared to today's morality. But that's a good thing. If we could perfectly agree with some one from like, 100 years ago, what the gently caress does that say about society that we haven't improved at all?

HP Lovecraft is an excellent case for this. By all rights, very nice, if not extremely neurotic and scared, individual, who just so happened to be afraid of everything he did not understand, especially if they weren't white. What kind of person would he have been if he grew up in a more modern standard? Who knows. We can't talk about that.

The past should always be worse than the present, because otherwise we are hardly making a better future. I'm sure our children/grand children are going to look back on us and go "Wow, what awful assholes" about something or other that we don't even consider. Maybe robot rights who knows.

Tolkien was a younger contemporary of Ida B. Wells and W. E. B. duBois.

• Locked thread