Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Trip report: DS9 season 2, episodes 20-21, "The Maquis"

This Vulcan member of the Maquis is just everything wrong with TNG-era Vulcans. I'm sure you could write a Vulcan character who finds it logical to do what she's doing, that's not the problem, although I kept waiting for her to be revealed as a Romulan agent sowing chaos and discord, especially after her failed mind meld attempt.

But no, she's just a Vulcan, and played in the worst way, as blasé and hopelessly naive. I mean can you imagine if, for example, Spock or Sarek had coldly, logically decided to start killing people? They'd be terrifying.

Right, but did you look at her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Black Vulcan, first confirmed dickless/transdimensional crew member (Kim), rape survivor/transhumanist (7), AKooChiMooyYah, Pedosexual.

The writers just turned them all to mush.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
You're forgetting Chakotay :colbert:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

vermin posted:

FilthyImp posted:

AKooChiMooyYah

Actually I forgot biracial SPICY HOT BLOODED Klingon chica.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

FilthyImp posted:

Actually I forgot biracial SPICY HOT BLOODED Klingon chica.

did the spiciness come from being klingon or Latina?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

rape survivor/transhumanist (7)

I first read that as there being seven rape surviving transhumans on Voyager, which might also be true in some way.

Don't forget Race-based slavery (holopeople in the miiiines)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

vermin posted:

Does Memory Alpha still list "Native American" as a "species"?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like my species the way it is.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I mean can you imagine if, for example, Spock or Sarek had coldly, logically decided to start killing people? They'd be terrifying.

There's a 7th season DS9 episode that you're going to either really like, or really hate

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Voyager was multicultural in very white suburban way, where it's ok to have people of different backgrounds so long as they 100% assimilate into suburban white culture and defer to their betters. The "others" were all "one of the good ones" and grappled with their racial shortcomings while janeway was the prototypical white upper middle class suburban mom of the whole crew. She was so nice and patient while these lesser races slowly learned that the federation way is the best way, and whitebread human culture is the standard all need to accept and follow.

DS9 was a truly multi-cultural cast and crew, it followed a more urban and cosmopolitan view of multiculturalism that isn't about the other desperately trying to fit in or "act white" in order to earn a place in society, but rather very different people coming together and being able to work professionally with each other without expectations of assimilation or being melted down into some sort of horrible pot. We don't see Odo or Kira or Garak or Quark constantly trying to earn federation approval to become "one of the good ones", in fact they're often outright critical or in opposition of the federation and its culture. On DS9 people simply tolerate or ignore each other's differences in order to get the job done and have a respectful workplace because there's no assumption of a single correct dominant culture that everyone else should aspire to.

On voyager the doctor and 7 were by far the most interesting characters because they were the only ones to ever really criticize or have an opposing view, they were the only ones who pushed back against the melting pot.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Baronjutter posted:

A Good Post
VOY was the last gasp of the Melting Pot ideal of multicultural America, I agree.

For some reason we've been less accepting of people after, say, 2001 and VOY's depiction is just so sterile and antiquated.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Baronjutter posted:

...without expectations of assimilation or being melted down into some sort of horrible pot. We don't see Odo...

Nice solid-supremacist dogwhistle there, bro.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
In both Voyager and DS9 the characters constantly casually refer to stereotypes of alien species, but in DS9 they're usually shown to be wrong or at least lacking proper nuance whereas in Voyager its just normal and accepted that Klingons must constantly be angry, and so on.

Also its funny how in Voyager they always insists on referring to Seven as Borg as if its her race.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sir Lemming posted:

Nice solid-supremacist dogwhistle there, bro.

Odo used a bucket, not a pot.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I love reading Memory Alpha articles on mundane things that shouldn't be in a wiki in the first place

On Toilets posted:

The toilet, also referred to by the Ferengi as a waste extraction fixture, was a device used for the disposal of bodily wastes. The waste extraction system was the system used to manage and process that and all other related wastes.

Sometime during the 16th and 22nd centuries, the Bajorans invented a zero gravity toilet for their Bajoran lightships. (DS9: "Explorers")

Apocrypha:

The Star Trek: Legacies novel Best Defense reveals that Starfleet away teams had portable commodes they could use while planetside. Montgomery Scott rigs up one of them to stun the woman who has demanded it among other things while holding Joanna McCoy hostage. Spock ruefully observes that the move was lacking dignity. It was ultimately unnecessary.

See Also: Toilet Facility (redirects to Bathroom)

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

vermin posted:

I love reading Memory Alpha articles on mundane things that shouldn't be in a wiki in the first place

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Toilet

Even after all of that, it's still not obvious how Star Trek toilets work since the one in the screenshot does not appear to have a hole and the ensign is sitting on it while wearing pants

Maybe someday an officially licensed VR game will clear this up

Orv
May 4, 2011
TV IV > Star Trek: Toilet Apocrypha

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Wheat Loaf posted:

A few years ago I tried making an edit, but they got pissy with me and reverted it.

galenanorth posted:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Toilet
the one in the screenshot does not appear to have a hole and the ensign is sitting on it while wearing pants

So, uh...

1: There's very clearly a lid that hasn't been raised.

2: That's not an ensign. That's Kirk.

McNally fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 28, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
Spock, designer of fine art deco toilets.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Right, but did you look at her?

Well yes, and I totally get where Quark is coming from.

FuturePastNow posted:

There's a 7th season DS9 episode that you're going to either really like, or really hate

Is that the baseball episode? I vaguely recall liking it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Well yes, and I totally get where Quark is coming from.

Is that the baseball episode? I vaguely recall liking it.

That too, but no.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Timby posted:

If you want to see some truly impressive wailing and gnashing of teeth, commenters on Ars are freaking the gently caress out over the news that Discovery will have actual interpersonal conflict.

It's not the monumental clusterfuck that the entire project has been that's got people worried, it's that the producers aren't worried about Roddenberry's Box. And anyone who dares to say that Roddenberry was a lunatic gets downvoted into oblivion. :laffo:

In a way, you and the Ars posters both have good points.

It is turning into a dysfunctional production of show about dysfunctional people.

"Gene's Vision" is over hyped. But Star Trek has always been based on a crew of do-gooders confronting the unknown. That is the concept. "Realistic" or not, it is what it is.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Timby posted:

If you want to see some truly impressive wailing and gnashing of teeth, commenters on Ars are freaking the gently caress out over the news that Discovery will have actual interpersonal conflict.

It's not the monumental clusterfuck that the entire project has been that's got people worried, it's that the producers aren't worried about Roddenberry's Box. And anyone who dares to say that Roddenberry was a lunatic gets downvoted into oblivion. :laffo:

It's Ars. As a long-ago expat from there, I am not at all surprised. God I hate that place. The front page articles (and the comments) are (usually) alright, but their forums are insufferable. Even reading my own post history there makes me cringe.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 28, 2017

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I barely read that site now but I remember it wasn't full of trash articles like that one or the other recent one about an adult Harry Potter fan. Did these people only watch Season 1 of TNG?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't care what some nerds think about Star Trek goddamnit, I only care what goons think

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Tighclops posted:

I don't care what some nerds think about Star Trek goddamnit, I only care what goons think

Star Trek is dumb and bad, and I own 17 seasons and 13 movies. That's my Goon Opinion ™.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I can't even reply to that the hell's wrong with you man

New show will probably suck in the way most modern genre TV/movie fiction sucks, by being aggressively mediocre, which won't quite be the same way the old shows really sucked so it'll throw people

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

In a way, you and the Ars posters both have good points.

It is turning into a dysfunctional production of show about dysfunctional people.

"Gene's Vision" is over hyped. But Star Trek has always been based on a crew of do-gooders confronting the unknown. That is the concept. "Realistic" or not, it is what it is.

Corbomit Maneuver, Balance of Terror, Galieo 7, and a bunch of other classic Trek episodes have subplots about junior officers cracking under pressure and the commanders struggling to deal with it. We also had many instances of the Spock/McCoy tension boiling over into outright insubordination. Plus Kirk works himself to the bone and starts loving up/snapping at people on many occasions.

I really like the TOS approach. It can veer into melodrama a lot of the time, but it really does a great job of showing when the crew is in a tense or dangerous situation and was fairly realistic about showing how lovely people can be to each other when they're having a bad day. TNG had Mean Riker and Picard being a total bastard at times, but it mostly shied away from any sort of protracted conflict and people usually worked our their minor differences by the next scene, so it usually just felt like cheap drama.

As long as it's not BSG "everyone's a cylon" levels of paranoid infighting, I think having some conflict will be a very good thing.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Duckbag posted:

Picard being a total bastard at times

Yeah, for all that Roddenberry decided on no interpersonal conflict, Picard sure did vocally hate children at the start of the series.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Timby posted:

Man, it really makes me irrationally angry when people confuse "optimism" and "idealism" with "nothing bad ever happens and everybody is always perfect and things always work out in the end."

:sigh:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Lord Krangdar posted:

Also its funny how in Voyager they always insists on referring to Seven as Borg as if its her race.

I was under the impression that Borgification actually introduced some genetic changes, which would make her not pure-strain human any more.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I appreciate gene's vision that he thought that technology would solve a lot of our problems, but he also acknowledged that we'd need equally fantastic advances in the social sciences and our culture in general. I don't think it's insane or crazy to think that some post-scarcity humans could develop a society like he envisioned. We find cures for mental illness, we break the cycle of lovely parents that gently caress up their kids who produce more hosed up kids, we reform the justice system into something much more like the medical/mental health system where it's about both prevention and cure, not punishment (not that there is much crime anymore with the economic causes removed).

But where TNG failed was taking this society for granted, thinking once we got there it just like humanity had leveled up and took the "utopian" perk. DS9 showed that we're still human animals though, that the amazing utopia we built had to be maintained and defended both from within and without. We were still flawed human(oids), we still snapped or got into conflicts, we just had much better tools at our disposal to then react to these situations.

As much as Rod & Berries was a bit nuts about his "vision" of a 100% flawless federation utopia with no cracks, the other extreme that we see in scifi a lot more is this trope that technology can advance but human society can never advanced beyond where we are today, which is I think is even more silly. Much like the industrial revolution saw a massive and rapid increase in productivity and population growth around the world, people like Roddenberry subscribed to a very 60's idea that a similar event was about to take place on the social front. This magical age of Aquarius never really panned out how they hoped, if at all, but I don't discount the idea that humans could experience something like that one day if the right material and political and social conditions align.

:same:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

McNally posted:

A few years ago I tried making an edit, but they got pissy with me and reverted it.

So, uh...

1: There's very clearly a lid that hasn't been raised.

2: That's not an ensign. That's Kirk.

This character is now listed as human FWIW

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I appreciate gene's vision that he thought that technology would solve a lot of our problems, but he also acknowledged that we'd need equally fantastic advances in the social sciences and our culture in general. I don't think it's insane or crazy to think that some post-scarcity humans could develop a society like he envisioned. We find cures for mental illness, we break the cycle of lovely parents that gently caress up their kids who produce more hosed up kids, we reform the justice system into something much more like the medical/mental health system where it's about both prevention and cure, not punishment (not that there is much crime anymore with the economic causes removed).

But where TNG failed was taking this society for granted, thinking once we got there it just like humanity had leveled up and took the "utopian" perk. DS9 showed that we're still human animals though, that the amazing utopia we built had to be maintained and defended both from within and without. We were still flawed human(oids), we still snapped or got into conflicts, we just had much better tools at our disposal to then react to these situations.

As much as Rod & Berries was a bit nuts about his "vision" of a 100% flawless federation utopia with no cracks, the other extreme that we see in scifi a lot more is this trope that technology can advance but human society can never advanced beyond where we are today, which is I think is even more silly. Much like the industrial revolution saw a massive and rapid increase in productivity and population growth around the world, people like Roddenberry subscribed to a very 60's idea that a similar event was about to take place on the social front. This magical age of Aquarius never really panned out how they hoped, if at all, but I don't discount the idea that humans could experience something like that one day if the right material and political and social conditions align.

One read-through of The People's History of the United States is all it takes to realize we've come a long way in this nation alone, which is not an old one.

Star Trek writing at its most naive supports the idea that humanity has arrived at a status quo agreeable to everyone, however, and the only ones who are upset are moron backward aliens and the odd psychopath here and there. The idea that literally everyone agrees all the time is the stupidest loving poo poo and it also happens to be a thing that Star Trek departed from by the end of TNG. Anyone who objects to its rejection now is an unread faux Internet intellectual, buoyed by CBS' total inability to properly market what should be an extremely important property.

I can see why they are working on their own streaming service--the alternative is to become a total subsidiary of Netflix, if not on paper then in deed--but few people know anything about this show that they haven't learned from well-placed spies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
My streaming service was electronically determined for one purpose alone...to sense the death of network tv.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Platonicsolid posted:

To borrow a phrase, "Someone should have labeled the future 'some assembly required'"

I've started watching Babylon 5 for the first time recently... halfway through season 2 already. I'm kicking myself for not watching it sooner, so drat good.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, it seems like All Asses, Hobogo, and the rest are largely just hedges for when all broadcasting is done over the internet. They got in too late for ground floor, but drat it, they're not going to let a bunch of Tesla driving, latte sipping, silicon valley assholes steal their industry.*

*yes they will.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

thexerox123 posted:

I've started watching Babylon 5 for the first time recently... halfway through season 2 already. I'm kicking myself for not watching it sooner, so drat good.

Same.

I really enjoy how cohesive it feels. The fact one person wrote the vast majority of the scripts really shows. It helps that Straczynski's dialogue is really snappy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Baronjutter posted:

I appreciate gene's vision that he thought that technology would solve a lot of our problems, but he also acknowledged that we'd need equally fantastic advances in the social sciences and our culture in general.
But where TNG failed was taking this society for granted, thinking once we got there it just like humanity had leveled up and took the "utopian" perk.

:yeah:

It's been remarked that cramming a thousand people into a starship and keeping them all happy and productive for years on end would be almost as big a miracle as warp drive.

The difference is that warp drive (like most of the other technological miracles) shows a plausible amount of infrastructure and effort to keep it going. Engineering takes up half the ship, and a big chunk of the crew specializes in keeping it all humming along. Things need active repair and maintenance. It makes sense.

And maintaining all the social harmony is... Troi, I guess? Even if she sees ten people a day, it'd take her months to get around to everyone on the ship one time. And she seems to spend most of her time hanging around the bridge, not talking to people. There's nothing behind the sociological miracle, and so it doesn't really ring true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Powered Descent posted:

:yeah:

It's been remarked that cramming a thousand people into a starship and keeping them all happy and productive for years on end would be almost as big a miracle as warp drive.

The difference is that warp drive (like most of the other technological miracles) shows a plausible amount of infrastructure and effort to keep it going. Engineering takes up half the ship, and a big chunk of the crew specializes in keeping it all humming along. Things need active repair and maintenance. It makes sense.

And maintaining all the social harmony is... Troi, I guess? Even if she sees ten people a day, it'd take her months to get around to everyone on the ship one time. And she seems to spend most of her time hanging around the bridge, not talking to people. There's nothing behind the sociological miracle, and so it doesn't really ring true.

Holodecks solve everything.