Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I can no longer joke about Cop and a Half getting a sequel because it is getting a DTV sequel - Cop and a Half: New Recruit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZwkStRlou4

quote:

Grizzled veteran detective Mark Simmons (Lou Diamond Phillips) can't seem to catch the "Badge Bandit" – the city's serial prankster who's causing mischief and embarrassing the police. Karina Foley (Lulu Wilson) is a spunky 12-year-old who dreams of being a cop. She stumbles on Simmons' stakeout where she proves she's got serious detective skills and tech-savvy smarts. While Simmons wants to ignore Karina, the police captain does the unthinkable and teams them up. While on their mission to stop the "Badge Bandit," the unlikely duo goes on a hilarious, action-filled adventure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So it's Ride Along and they're chasing down Let's Be Cops

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Just wait until they find out the Badge Bandit is the son of the Sticky Bandits!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

my memory of cop and a half is sitting in one of those travel trailers that has a full bedroom, most of a bath, a full kitchen, and a living/dining room. My grandparents were using it to live on the lot my great grandma was holing up to die in, hundreds of miles away from their comparatively luxurious lakehouse home. Enduring a very small 1930's era ranch house that her demented rear end had stuffed with heirlooms and the guest bedrooms were dangerous to inhabit from environmental hazards like lead paint, a brown recluse infestation, and delicate heirlooms that a child with a tendency to kick in his sleep was bound to break anyway. That ever-present old people smell that would drive out my grandparents too...

So aside from visiting her bedroom/living room to endure Little house On The Prarie a few minutes out of the week, my young summers would be in that travel trailer, my grandmother yelling at my grandfather for any old thing, while me and him sat there watching whatever kid friendly VHS tapes they had. Basically, Cop And A Half and The Sandlot, and some other crap i don't remember, plus about four broadcast channels. but I wouldn't discover the sandlot for a few more years because the grandma was pretty protective about cursing and innuendo that would fly over my head.

so a cramped, barely insulated and poorly air conditioned trailer in the middle of summer, eating cheap food with my grandparents with cop and a half playing no a tiny tv, enduring jokes I understood to be terrible even at 5 years old.

That might be the art of that movie right there, the miserable but oddly comforting experience of watching that terrible poo poo with my loving grandparents who could do no better at the time.

Oddly fitting the sequel is a DTV movie bound for some kid in a similar travel trailer who for reasons out of his control can watch nothing and do nothing more interesting than endure it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Burt Reynolds was still a favorite of middle aged women at the time, so my mother took me to see Cop and a Half in the theatre. I remember liking it at the time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cacator posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

http://movieweb.com/bondverse-james-bond-movie-universe-plans-rumored/

Trying to shoehorn in a pointless connection between all the Craig Bond movies is part of the reason why Spectre was such a bloated mess, have they learned nothing? You'd think trying to expand a franchise on a series that is completely reliant on a single central character would not be a great idea (unless Q has a massive underground fan base that I've never heard about?)

Thirty loving years a Desmond Llewelyn Q movie would've kicked rear end.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Oh hell yeah, baby, garbage filmmaker Troy Duffy is back at it again with a film about (surprise!) vigilantes who murder criminals, and a law enforcement officer in charge of stopping them!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Oh hell yeah, baby, garbage filmmaker Troy Duffy is back at it again with a film about (surprise!) vigilantes who murder criminals, and a law enforcement officer in charge of stopping them!

I'm really interested in the "racially edgy comedy" written and directed by Troy Duffy. That sounds incredibly my poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Funniest part of that article(and there are a lot of funny parts) is that it says "Boondock Saints: Origins" is in the works. As if The Boondock Saints itself isn't an origin story? Are we to believe these two guys actually were vigilante killers years ago and that's somehow never mentioned in the movie?

I actually like the idea of an underground group who hunts and executes serial killers but I'm thinking Troy Duffy is probably not going to do anything interesting with it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

I actually like the idea of an underground group who hunts and executes serial killers but I'm thinking Troy Duffy is probably not going to do anything interesting with it.

That's basically what the Boondock Saints were, but this time they're called "The Blood Spoon Group" which is an extremely dumber name. I'm kind of curious what a criminal mastermind would be, according to noted intellectual Troy Duffy.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

That's basically what the Boondock Saints were, but this time they're called "The Blood Spoon Group" which is an extremely dumber name. I'm kind of curious what a criminal mastermind would be, according to noted intellectual Troy Duffy.

*smashes your head with a toilet but only as part of a metaphor for the films*

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'd say that the potential is there for Duffy to make this version even MORE simplistic than Boondock Saints was, because the Saints were taking down thugs and gangsters who you could argue didn't really deserve to be summarily executed. Serial killers are a more clear cut situation morally speaking, at least for most people. So there's room here for even more regression by Duffy than anyone even thought possible!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The prequel is just The Buttercream Gang

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The prequel is just The Buttercream Gang

Yessss.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

I'm really interested in the "racially edgy comedy" written and directed by Troy Duffy. That sounds incredibly my poo poo.

It's not going to hold a candle to Dragged Across Concrete, the police brutality movie coming out with Mel Gibson, Vince Vaughn, and Don Johnson.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/mel-gibson-vince-vaughn-police-brutality-movie-dragged-across-concrete-1201975594/

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Also, just as a general reminder, if anyone in this thread has seen The Boondocks Saints but not Overnight, fix that ASAP. Overnight is incredible, and it's great schadenfreude watching Duffy gently caress up the chance of a lifetime.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Funniest part of that article(and there are a lot of funny parts) is that it says "Boondock Saints: Origins" is in the works. As if The Boondock Saints itself isn't an origin story? Are we to believe these two guys actually were vigilante killers years ago and that's somehow never mentioned in the movie?

Their orgins are thus:
Sean Patrick Flannery was Young Indiana Jones and Norman Reedus was probably living under a bridge.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Also, just as a general reminder, if anyone in this thread has seen The Boondocks Saints but not Overnight, fix that ASAP. Overnight is incredible, and it's great schadenfreude watching Duffy gently caress up the chance of a lifetime.
Kenneth BrA....bRa...Bra...oval office!!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

basic hitler posted:

I know that Hollywood bean-counters are probably going apeshit crazy over how much of that overseas gross they aren't getting. I'll be curious to see how things play out when a movie slaughters a market like China but dies a horrid death in North America. Will they continue to invest in foreign markets and bank less and less on American tastes, or will the fact that the overhead is still very low domestically continue to influence this weird system where big movies take a few minutes to pause the narrative to blatantly pander to China somehow and then resuming the show in an attempt to have both?

I also wonder how tastes are going to diverge among domestic and international audiences in general. For a few years now they've been kinda lucky that some of these movies just slaughter in whatever market they're in, but there's no way that lasts. cultural and economic shifts are constant and eternal.

That's already happened with the Warcraft movie. It made less than $50 million in America but over $200 million in China.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

That's already happened with the Warcraft movie. It made less than $50 million in America but over $200 million in China.

Warcraft is definitely a good example of a movie where a sequel will come out and people in America will be absolutely flabbergasted that it was made. But the first one doubled its budget, it made 400+ million worldwide, so it seems inevitable that the sequel will come.

Same thing would have happened with Pacific Rim if Del Toro hadn't been actually concerned about the end product. I think they wanted it to be made but for less money, and he wasn't having it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

my point is i'm repeatedly told that these figures like 200 million in china isn't what actually makes it back to the studio's coffers stateside. China is a damned corrupt place. The cost of censor approval was probably large, distribution was probably unusually expensive. theater chains probably don't pay what they owe, and whatever makes it out of the country is probably taxed again on the way out, and possibly taxed on the way into the country? I don't know a ton about international finance, but I know that hollywood loses a considerable amount from overseas ticket sales, particularly in china.

I'm curious what the numbers really are, and if china will remain "worth it" to the executives and the people who are looking at the real numbers.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Another Oats short/Blomkamp thing was posted today. Seemingly nothing to do with Rakka. It's also much more :nws::nms: than Rakka was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0V24IEHao

I think this story is really exposition heavy but i like it a little more than Rakka.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

One of my favorite scenes is Troy Duffy's attorney drunkenly accusing Harvey Weinstein of conspiring against the film and calling him a big fat cock on camera.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

One of my favorite scenes is Troy Duffy's attorney drunkenly accusing Harvey Weinstein of conspiring against the film and calling him a big fat cock on camera.

This is just my head cannon but I think Harvey may have enjoyed that

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

They actually got away from that with both the Transformers franchise AND the MCU.

Now they're just daring the Chinese censors to even try to block a Marvel movie.

Does transformer5 even have any china pandering? I dont remember seeing even one asian person
The jiffy pop tie-in was nice

Edit: Seven Psychopaths had serial-killer-killers and no way Duffy does as good a job.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 29, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

got any sevens posted:

Edit: Seven Psychopaths had serial-killer-killers and no way Duffy does as good a job.

Seven Psychopaths was a commentary of the exact kind of too-cool-for-school 90s Tarantino knockoffs that Duffy makes sincerely. That's why it worked so much better than you would expect based on the premise and the fact that it came out like a decade after those kinds of movies stopped being made en masse.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

bows1 posted:

For some reason I read this first sentence as Austin Powers added to the sequel to the Accountant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Idve71Cfno&t=495s

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 29, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

basic hitler posted:

my point is i'm repeatedly told that these figures like 200 million in china isn't what actually makes it back to the studio's coffers stateside. China is a damned corrupt place. The cost of censor approval was probably large, distribution was probably unusually expensive. theater chains probably don't pay what they owe, and whatever makes it out of the country is probably taxed again on the way out, and possibly taxed on the way into the country? I don't know a ton about international finance, but I know that hollywood loses a considerable amount from overseas ticket sales, particularly in china.

I'm curious what the numbers really are, and if china will remain "worth it" to the executives and the people who are looking at the real numbers.

The class of movies that open in China have already made their production budget back before they even open. They don't care about ticket sales, it's between .10-.20 on the dollar at the high end, and the reported ticket sales are grossly inflated with laundering and hiding losses in other departments. What they want is co-financing, product placement and airing rights, making movies with other people's money.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Is this just an unproduced Dirty Hairy script that had been sitting in a filing cabinet for 30 years?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

got any sevens posted:

Does transformer5 even have any china pandering? I dont remember seeing even one asian person
The jiffy pop tie-in was nice

I think one of the lawyers might have been Asian, but yeah, that pretty much is it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The class of movies that open in China have already made their production budget back before they even open. They don't care about ticket sales, it's between .10-.20 on the dollar at the high end, and the reported ticket sales are grossly inflated with laundering and hiding losses in other departments. What they want is co-financing, product placement and airing rights, making movies with other people's money.

And Warcraft and Transformers: The Last Knight were both backed by Chinese companies, as was Wonder Woman, the last two Fast & Furious films, etc etc..

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Chinese version of Transformers 5 have an extra two minutes of nothing but product placements.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The only thing better than a film that is guaranteed to make its budget back is a film that doesn't need to because it's already fully paid for.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

dentist toy box posted:

Is this just an unproduced Dirty Hairy script that had been sitting in a filing cabinet for 30 years?

'Magnum Farce'

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The MSJ posted:

The Chinese version of Transformers 5 have an extra two minutes of nothing but product placements.

For a Michael Bay "Panasonic XBox 360 Nokia" film series this unironically owns.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I watched this last night and it was absolutely mesmerizing. I just couldn't stop watching the never ending car crash unfold.

The best part is that it's not even like a tragic story, Duffy was clearly an arrogant dick right from the beginning, and the footage proves that. So yea, it's pure schadenfreude in that I had absolutely no guilt about laughing my rear end off when the whole thing inevitably crumbled. Honestly I wish more ground was covered, I wanted to see more of Duffy reacting to the lack of offers after Boondock Saints.

Probably my favorite moment is Duffy's brother emotionally breaking down to him about how the band is the most important thing and how Duffy has changed and blah blah blah the band blah blah blah. Duffy just sits there with a bemused expression the whole time and then once the guy is basically weeping he explodes on him and tells him to gently caress off in several different colorful ways. In the entire film Duffy never once missed an opportunity to act like a complete rear end in a top hat or ruin a potentially uplifting/heartwarming moment.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Didn't he even change his band's name to The Boondocks Saints to capitalize off what he assumed would be his movie's smashing success? And I'm pretty certain he made no money from DVD sales because of his contract.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Didn't he even change his band's name to The Boondocks Saints to capitalize off what he assumed would be his movie's smashing success? And I'm pretty certain he made no money from DVD sales because of his contract.

Correct, the band's jumping off point was supposed to be The Boondock Saints soundtrack. The shoot for the album cover was absolutely hilarious. Duffy's attitude towards the band was ridiculously schizophrenic. One day he'd be saying stuff like "this movie poo poo is just a fun hobby, the real business is the band", then the next day it would be "remember, the movie is what put us here, we have to think of the movie first and foremost". Basically what it comes down to is Duffy was an alcoholic who would say random poo poo while on a bender.

And yea it says in the documentary that Duffy got $300,000 for the script, part ownership in a loving dive bar, and the opportunity to direct the film(and I suppose some sort of basic salary for that work). And final cut.

No DVD sales whatsoever, and had streaming been a thing back then I'm betting he'd have been dumb enough to forego those rights as well.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
The Boondock Saints 2 is probably the worst movie I've ever seen in a theater, and I went to see Spiceworld, The Musketeer, Loser, Disney's Rocketman, and The Matrix: Reloaded

edit: Also Alone in the Dark and Bloodrayne but those were ~~ironic~~

well, bye

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I completely unironically went to see Alone in the Dark and let me tell you I was not happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Samuel Clemens posted:

The only thing better than a film that is guaranteed to make its budget back is a film that doesn't need to because it's already fully paid for.

Yeah, there's a web-famous article from a few years ago that broke it all down and how, because of being able to sell a big budget movie to various distributors around the globe, a $100 million movie like Tomb Raider is a safer bet than $20 million movie like Sideways

• Locked thread