Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free
Tane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Opsec, fuckers, keep that tane poo poo to the platinum forums.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What's with Chris Roberts and ladders?

He liked playing that childhood game. "Coutts and Ladders".

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

peter gabriel posted:

I'm the tiny loving ladder because it's by Chris Roberts of course there's a ladder

pretty sure lots of jets have those little ladders in the side. it looks like they just cut out the top part of a fuselage

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
PC Gamer: Richard Garriott on why "most game designers really just suck"

Richard Garriott posted:

I think there's really very few great game designers," he continued. "I think Chris Roberts is one of them, Will Wright's another, Peter Molyneux is another. They clearly exist, but on the whole, I think that the design talent in our industry is dramatically lower than we need, as an industry. It's a very hard skill to learn.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What's with Chris Roberts and ladders?

You know how some people grow up to love flight simulators because they never got to fulfil that childhood dream of being pilots?

So great that not a single one of them have managed to make a decent game since, oh, 2000 or so. And obviously, between then and now, spectacular game years like 2016, or 2015, or 2014 or… wait… there's a pattern here. Never mind, those years never happened.

But yes, those people are really important. I mean, just look at a year like 1993, whn Origin got WC:P, WC:Armada, Strike Commander, Ultima 7:2, Ultima Underworld 2 on the market — it was so spectacular that the Wiki page listing significant games events of the year mentions… oh… none of them. I guess Syndicate made the list, at least.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 29, 2017

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Anyone saying that Peter Molyneux is a good game designer is not to be trusted. Yes, he was lucky to lead a couple of brilliant projects in the '90s, but has clearly proven to be an over-promising, mis-managing liar since.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
in this gif, cig is the dog and the cows the backers

http://i.imgur.com/ayqYphf.gifv

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

It's poo poo like this that makes me wonder if there are actually lizard people.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

:gary:

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Yeah, they should be selling their blood and hair like Richard Garriott does. That's the TRUE mark of a good game designer who doesn't suck. Can't wait to be able to buy Chris Robert's pubes for 5,000$.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

They really are made for each other, two washed up has-been developers from the 90's that can't get enough of jerking themselves off to anyone that will listen.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Tippis posted:

So great that not a single one of them have managed to make a decent game since, oh, 2000 or so.

Hey, while Spore wasn't a great game I think it manages to clear "decent" at least.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
He could have made a decent case if this article had been written in like 1996. But there have been a *lot* of great games since then, with some very talented designers behind them. Dude is either way out of touch or a cranky old snob. Or maybe both, I dunno.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

EggsAisle posted:

He could have made a decent case if this article had been written in like 1996. But there have been a *lot* of great games since then, with some very talented designers behind them. Dude is either way out of touch or a cranky old snob. Or maybe both, I dunno.

poo poo you have games like Darkest Dungeon that pretty well come out of nowhere as an indie release, and are hugely successful.

Another example would be FTL

I never heard a peep about either of those games being made, and one day they were just 'there' to buy.

It's amazing what small indie teams can do, and then you have the Cribblets juggernaut encompassing 4 full time studios and they can't even make the Port Olisar rings rotate around properly without hilarious results

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

More AAA you could also point to Shadows of Mordor and Arkham Asylum. Neither revolutionary but both did their thing so well.

Then you have cool poo poo like Portal, the Talos Principle, and Antichamber.

The madness that is Minecraft, MOBAs, and Overwatch.

Spelunky, Supermeatboy, Invisible Inc, Spacechem, Life is Strange, KR0...

Man so many good games, so much variety, so little time...

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Also, pretty much every paradox game. I've sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into the hearts of iron series, Stellaris I'm getting close to as well. The Star Trek New Horizons mod is fantastic. I've modded it a little so I could create the Terran Empire, instead of forming the Federation.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

The thing that always gets me on stuff like this is always the poo poo like that full wall mural on the left. There's just so much custom art and unneeded expensive place all over their offices.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That article is from 2013. Let's see where they are now:

Will Wright's last game, Spore, was an overly ambitious game that ultimately failed to match the hype and was largely criticized for its shallow gameplay. He left the industry in 2008.

Peter Molyneux has been continuously making games and is noted for ambitious titles. His latest game, Godus, was harshly criticized for failing to meet expectations. It is particularly noteworthy for being crowd-funded and being released as a buggy mess that was ultimately abandoned for a cheap mobile game with many promises unfilled. His company released a parallel game, Godus Wars, and is working on another game.

Richard Garriott continues to work on the crowd-funded Shroud of the Avatar but recent financial concerns have left backers uneasy. The project is scheduled for an initial release in July.

Chris Roberts had to be taught what "orbit" was.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ManofManyAliases posted:

LOL. Keep up the good work. Thank you for that synopsis.
What's with the insecure "lol"?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chris Roberts had to be taught what "orbit" was.

lmao jfc

I almost forgot that. Garriott had to explain it to him in a recorded video about something else entirely, didn't he.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So, Derek or anyone else with dev experience, help me out here. The biggest hurdle for big world games seems to consistently be the fact that making content takes forever and is consumed in hours. What kind of cash would it take to pay enough artists and designers to keep putting out content fast enough to keep the ravenous poopsockers from blowing through it all in a weekend? In Star Citizen terms, say a new unique space station or outpost every week, a non-cookie-cutter interior with a few local shops that aren't chains and have their own signage and appearance mixed in with some reused assets to cover generic stuff like docking bays. Or a planet, mostly procedural for wilderness areas but with some hand-built stuff sprinkled over it.

I know the price tag has to be astronomical, but don't know whether a hundred and forty million could conceivably dream of accomplishing that or if it's effectively impossible.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Warhawk109 posted:

Also, pretty much every paradox game. I've sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into the hearts of iron series, Stellaris I'm getting close to as well. The Star Trek New Horizons mod is fantastic. I've modded it a little so I could create the Terran Empire, instead of forming the Federation.

All evidence of how PC gaming needs to be saved.

All hail Roberts!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Valatar posted:

So, Derek or anyone else with dev experience, help me out here. The biggest hurdle for big world games seems to consistently be the fact that making content takes forever and is consumed in hours. What kind of cash would it take to pay enough artists and designers to keep putting out content fast enough to keep the ravenous poopsockers from blowing through it all in a weekend? In Star Citizen terms, say a new unique space station or outpost every week, a non-cookie-cutter interior with a few local shops that aren't chains and have their own signage and appearance mixed in with some reused assets to cover generic stuff like docking bays. Or a planet, mostly procedural for wilderness areas but with some hand-built stuff sprinkled over it.

I know the price tag has to be astronomical, but don't know whether a hundred and forty million could conceivably dream of accomplishing that or if it's effectively impossible.

I would hope that sandbox/openworld/pvp/economy/bounties/etc would allow players to be a large portion of the content.

At least for people who don't mind interaction.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Bofast posted:

I do like how weird Swedish pizza can be, especially the more extreme specials that have way too much stuff on them.
Still doesn't beat the weirdness of a "hamburger meal in a calzone", though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha86cWkD50U

pizza... now that's what I call a taco!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q312yavJw2w

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Valatar posted:

That is an impossible question to answer, considering differences in how well the team functions, how productive the artists are, how much artistic direction is needed/desired, do they have a good pipeline, are they experienced in using it, etc. I know at one point Japanese studios had a strong tendency to just add more bodies to projects to increase production bandwidth, and some of the Final Fantasy games had a ratio of artists to programmers which could be considered extreme when compared to western game development. In general each new hire adds overhead. It requires exceptionally good management to have a project in a state where it can scale effectively with additional manpower. With the right management and production staff 140 million can deliver insane amounts of content. Witcher 3, including marketing, had a 81 million dollar budget.

For various reasons, having a high content output in an running MMO has been to be a challenge that noone has been able to tackle that well yet. It's far more complicated in a live environment than just scaling the number of content people. Complications exist like technical debt, matching on-going development costs with cash in-flow, employee retention and training, etc.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

PC Gamer: Richard Garriott on why "most game designers really just suck"

quote:

Richard Garriott posted:
I think there's really very few great game designers," he continued. "I think Chris Roberts is one of them, Will Wright's another, Peter Molyneux is another. They clearly exist, but on the whole, I think that the design talent in our industry is dramatically lower than we need, as an industry. It's a very hard skill to learn.

This is why you, Mr. Garriott, have not been relevant for literally 20 years now. This is also indicative of why Shroud of the Avatar is going to be a massive disappointment.

You know that phrase, 'Shoot for the moon. If you miss, you'll land among the stars!' That does not work game development (or any software development for that matter, but especially game development). If you miss, you wiff hard.

When you are drafting the design of the features and game systems, these systems generally interact, and often depend on one another to really work. Imagine working on a game like World of Warcraft. Someone says, 'Gathering +Crafting Professions would be neat'. Everyone agrees, but come launch time, your team didn't have the time to implement the auction house. A major piece of your economy is dead. Players can only practically craft things with resources that they can gather. Even if they manage to craft something, they can sell those goods to anyone. The value of money takes a nosedive and one of your major activity loops in completely missing in a game about activity loops. Maybe you could sell stuff in Trade Chat, but the sheer volume of messages makes it a logistical nightmare. The auction house is a single feature in the game, but if you can't quite get to that feature, so many other systems depending on it crumble.

A classic example of biting off more than you can chew is Path of Exile. 1.0 was a disaster. The netcode didn't work and you often ended up out of sync with the server. There was no way to trade besides chat channels. You played through two acts four times each and the endgame was pretty poo poo. The early versions of the Passive Tree kinda sucked, but that was probably the least of their worries. An online game where the client didn't accurately represent what was happening on the server was a much bigger concern. The team didn't constrain their scope to something they could manage given their time and budget, and so the game suffered because of it. By some miracle, they fixed the game, added a trading API, fixed the netcode, expanded the content, and made the endgame compelling, all without running out of money and the game is very good today, but that's not the story they got to tell at 1.0.

What I'm getting at here is talk is so, so cheap.

You know what Garriot, Croberts, Molyenux and Will Wright all have in common? They are notorious for talking about their big game - their big dream and how it's going to be awesome - and then delivering something totally underwhelming, if they deliver anything at all. Garriot's metric of what makes a good game designer seems to be how much you can promise while disregarding what you can deliver.

The brilliant game designers of the world understand budgets, and time, and resources, and scope, and can work within those things to create something awesome. Games like Super Meat Boy, Overwatch, Ori and the Blind Forest, Portal, Factorio, FTL - These are games born from the industry's best minds. Defining a realistic, and often narrow scope that's appropriate for your team, and then executing on it as best as you can is what makes for great design and great games. Promising the world and delivering an atlas is a lot easier.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bofast posted:

Goons should buy the door, donate it to a museum to place in some kind of Hall of Shame. Put up a large sign behind the door that says "Derek Smart was right" every time the door opens.

Oh man I would be the goblin who runs this museum. We could have a poster of the daikatana where we are made bitches by Romero. And a whole exhibit of the duke nukem forever evolution

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

It's true. In fact, I fabricated Chris Roberts in his entirety. Everybody thinks he's an old game dev come back to ruin PC gaming but in reality it's just me and kayak in a beige trash bag.

Could have fooled me :golfclap:

:eyepop:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/880206617496637440

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Not mentioning Horizon Zero Dawn in briliant games that have come out lately smh.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I see, Sandi's collecting evidence of domestic violence for the upcoming divorce.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

She is so gonna kick his rear end to the curb when this thing goes tits up.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Sandweed posted:

Not mentioning Horizon Zero Dawn in briliant games that have come out lately smh.

I'm not sure any game will be better this year though the new zelda will get all the game of the year awards because ~Its a zelda~ even though it's super boring

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Did we ever find out if it was Sandi in the tickling videos?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MinorInconvenience posted:

It's why I suspect there might be other collateral involved here, like someone's personal assets via a guarantee that we can't see.

Perhaps they put up Ben as collateral? The bank could probably rent him out to some furniture company for use as a structural integrity couch tester, or something. :shrug:

It worked in that old Normality PC game

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Xarbala posted:

lmao jfc

I almost forgot that. Garriott had to explain it to him in a recorded video about something else entirely, didn't he.

Yep, he had to have angular momentum explained to him. Next up... friction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mu77ley posted:

Yep, he had to have angular momentum explained to him. Next up... friction.
He clearly hasn't played KSP, the space game with the most fidelity of them all.

Actually someone should show him KSP and he'll be all I WANT THIS FEATURE IN! with about ten different things.