Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
I don't care about this game at all but it has done wonders for convincing attractive women to wear a blindfold and not much else. They're 'cosplayers.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There's a lot of variations on Gnosticism, but in many, the devil-equivalent is good because he rebels against the Demiurge, who is bad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
From the weird fanart thread

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ganson posted:

I don't care about this game at all but it has done wonders for convincing attractive women to wear a blindfold and not much else. They're 'cosplayers.'

Eh, most of them make some good costumes. Which is awesome. The stitching on the skirt is pretty crazy.
The attractive woman part is a bonus?

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Funny, with that color scheme and hair 2B resembles Sailor Iron Mouse more than Sailor Moon.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

FINALLY caught up on this thread.

I've never played any of the Nier games, nor have I read any of the other LPs. This is great so far, although I strongly suspect that actually playing it would drive me up the wall.

I, for one, am looking forward to the continued adventures of Ninesies and Tubular. :allears:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

If anyone somehow didn't listen to Kaine's theme from the last update, fix that now. Most of the music in this game is good; that's beautiful.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Tbf, she does fight in the name of the moon. Or at least, in the name of the people living there.

is that a quote from the series? "Fighting in the name of the moon?" Pretty sure it's been almost two decades since I last watched sailor moon.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Tbf, she does fight in the name of the moon. Or at least, in the name of the people living there.

is that a quote from the series? "Fighting in the name of the moon?" Pretty sure it's been almost two decades since I last watched sailor moon.

In the name of the moon, she will punish you!

Or you know, hit you with an iron pipe repeatedly.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So with the location of Emils surprise, does that mean the Amusement Park is located on top of The Aerie?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XLVII: Animal Antics

Welcome back. Upon further review, we’re actually surprisingly close to the end of the sidequest block. All that remains is a handful of quests involving the Forest Zone. So that’s where we’ll be heading for the next couple of updates.

Music: Forest Kingdom (Quiet)

Our first stop on the tour of the Forest Zone’s seedy underbelly involves checking up on that outpost the Resistance were planning on setting up. You remember? In that area we cleared out for Anemone. They wasted no time setting up camp on the trampled remains of those Forest Kingdom machines. Good for them. Let’s see what’s shakin’ with the new Forest Zone dwellers.

The newly established camp offers some basic healing and buff items on sale as well as some truly remarkably useless chips. A 5% chance to auto revive on death with 1/5th health? Or a 5% chance to restore 10% of damage from a hit. Hoo-doggy! We’ll get right on stuffing our limited chip space with those key augments. What’s next? Maybe a 5% chance to recover from stumbling while dashing for longer than 15 seconds? Or maybe a 3% chance to get a 100 G discount on all store purchases? Y’know. The good poo poo!

Anyway, we’re not here for mercantile. We’re here for another sidequest. Let’s see what this overalls wearing yokel android has to offer...

See, I’m doing research about food for whenever the human race decides to return to Earth. Those humans were always going on about eating, right? Well, also clothing and shelter. But mostly eating. Anyway, I’m collecting ingredients from across the land for research purposes, and I’m betting you’d like to help me out! Er, right?
<Help out.>
Thanks a million! So meat’s at the top of the list, naturally, which means I need you to head out and find both moose and boar meat.

You heard it here first, folks. You can see it on her face. Clear as day. Quite the foodie here.

So begins the Culinary Research quest. That’s right, everyone. It’s time to go bend nature to our will. With murder! The way god intended it. Or something like that!

Don’t ask me.

Don’t think about the true nature of sidequests too hard, Pod. That’s a dark path of moral quandaries we dare not tread. Anyway, we’ve got to go kill us a boar and a moose. Fortunately, the Forest Zone is lousy with basically an infinite supply of both.

Animals aren’t as much of a threat now that we have some support chips to mitigate their damage and their leveling tends to be within five levels of 2B’s current capabilities. Also that satchel we got ages ago makes it so they don’t auto-agro on seeing androids so we’ve got some time to wail on them before they turn hostile.

The only issue is that Boar Meat is not a guaranteed drop. Nor is Moose Meat. We’re dependent on RNG as to whether a several hundred pound beast will produce enough meat to make a steak or if it will shed a Beast Hide, which is a weapon upgrade component. Granted, we do need to grind out Beast Hides eventually. About 20 of ‘em are necessary for assorted low level upgrades among or weapons (usually 5 a piece for a Level 1 upgrade.) So it’s not a total waste of time.

The first moose that took a dirt nap and was ravaged by the androids for culinary experimentation yielded its meat immediately. Moose are dependable like that.

The boars, however, I needed to burn through about five or six to finally get enough edible flesh to make some bacon. Something tells me 2B might not have received proper training on how to harvest a downed animal... Just a hunch.

Anyway, as soon as we’ve collected a hunk of both moose and boar, we’re free to return to the Resistance Forest FOB and complete this brisk sidequest.

I tell you what, you fry this up with a little salt and pepper? Bam! Taste EXPLOSION! ...Er, allegedly.
Have you tried it yourself?
It’s actually pretty popular among the Resistance combat models. Not that it has much of an effect... Humans were so amazing, weren’t they? Just their cooking knowledge alone is enough to blow my mind! What do you think will happen to us androids once they finally come back? I mean, we’re built to fight, and if we don’t need to do that...
Ah, forget it. We’ve all got our own work to do, right? I’m going to keep up with food research for as long as I can. Marine life has returned in force to the oceans and rivers, after all. So when humans return, I’ll make sure to greet them with a glorious feast! See you around!

And so concludes the Culinary Researcher quest. Not sure what a bunch of buffs have to do with harvesting meat for cooking. But we’ll take it anyway.

Our next sidequest takes us back to the northern part of the Forest Zone and the amicable Animal-loving Machine. There’s a reason we went out of our way to encounter him immediately in the Forest Zone. He’s host to a couple actual quests in addition to his initial unmarked quest encounter. Let’s see what troubles the shouty boy today...

What is it?
A MOOSE I HAVE BEEN CARING FOR HAS FALLEN ILL.

You don’t “repair” animals like you do a machine. But if it’s sick, you should try giving it some medicine.
MEDI...CINE? I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THIS CONCEPT.
Yeah, I suppose you wouldn’t be. It’ll probably be easiest to just bring you some. Try to hang on until then, all right?

So begins our next quest. To atone for those half dozen boars and the one moose we just slaughtered to make burgers for androids who don’t actually gain sustenance from food, we’re going to have to retrieve some medicine to heal ZOAHBOT Animal-loving Machine’s critters.

2B has a few issues with this task...

I assume you have at least some idea where to start looking for animal medication?
We’ll probably need to recreate old human recipes. We should be able to find something in the commercial facility ruins.

So in other words, we need to dash back to the shopping mall. I’m fairly certain this is the final time the mall proper is ever used for any quests or has remote relevance for the rest of 2B’s adventuring, beyond passing through it to access the Forest Zone.

Several item pick-up points have appeared around the mall area, along with the usual common drops. The one we want for this quest is located across from the Lunar Tear that initiated Top Boy Emil’s earlier quest in the previous update. Let’s see what we’ve got here...

Medical Journal Obtained.

The data contained within should prove effective for ungulates such as a moose. Page 278 contains a recipe for an anti-inflammation analgesic which has a high probability of—
Whoa whoa whoa! Hold on. We haven’t even cracked this thing open yet! How do you know what’s in it?
The contents of the book are contained in my internal database.
WHAT!? Why didn’t you tell us that when we first started looking for it!?
A request for information was not submitted.
Well, this has been a glorious waste of time.
Let’s just make the medicine and get it back to that machine.

Goddammit, Pod! I can take Yoko Taro or phantom Cavia trolling. But not you. I thought you were cool... Anyway, despite 2B mentioning we should make the medicine for the animals, that isn’t actually a component of this quest. We’ve just got to bring the Medical Journal back to the machine. It will handle the rest.

However, before we go there are a few other items of note in the area. Alongside the Medical Journal, several other decoy items are scattered around the area and they’ve all got a unique chat associated with them. The first is located behind a sign on the stairs leading to the elevator going down to Kainé’s hut.

What’s this?
Analysis: That is a hygienic tool know as a “toothbrush.” Humans moved it back and forth across the teeth at a rapid rate to reduce the probability of cavities.
Cavities? As in caves?
Cavities are bits of decayed enamel caused by acids in the mouth. The cave analogy is not altogether inaccurate.
Hmm. Well, it’s got nothing to do with us.

Now watch as burgin’ becomes a popular pastime with the androids and leads to a decaying dental hygiene epidemic with the ancient human art of dentistry lost to the poor machines. Ghastly. That aside, the next decoy is located in the corner of the area just to the left of the gate leading back to the Forest Zone. What have we got...?

Pod, what’s this?
Analysis: It is a writing implement. Humans used it to record information. Many humans also believed pens were mightier than swords.
That’s insane.
It was a common human idiom. Meaning unclear.

I enjoy the mental image of 2B imaging humans marching into a warzone with a No.2 pencil and just cutting a path of baffling destruction. Androids are silly. What isn’t silly is the final bonus item in the mall. It’s located on the balcony reached up the busted escalator. Here we have...

Here’s something else.
Analysis: That is a form of sustenance known as “extreme weight-loss superfood.” Humans consumed it in place of more traditional edibles in order to reduce body mass.
Why would they want to do that?
Humans often took in more energy than they expended. Accumulated calories were converted to fat and stored, decreasing physical capabilities.
Man, humans had it rough...

What if it turn out the humans on the moon have all become akin to the ones from Wall-E. The androids are going to be so disappointed when their creators are all flabby messes with bad teeth that waste all their time doodling lewd illustrations of android butts. But enough about the follies of humanity. Let’s head back to the Animal-loving Machine and complete this quest.

THANK YOU. I WILL ADMINISTER IT IMMEDIATELY.

Sometime later...

*FIST PUMPS* ...THE MEDICINE SEEMS TO HAVE WORKED. SHE IS SLEEPING SOUNDLY.
Good to hear.
ANIMALS ARE STRANGE CREATURES. UNLIKE US, THEY CANNOT BE EASILY REPAIRED. IT MUST BE DIFFICULT TO POSSESS SUCH INCONVENIENT BODIES. HOWEVER... UNLIKE US, THEY ARE ALSO WARM.
So I’ve heard.
BEFORE I FORGET. PLEASE TAKE THIS AS PAYMENT FOR THE MEDICINE. COME AGAIN. WE WILL BE WAITING.

It’s a bit concerning the machine hands over five skinned Beast Hides. But hey. Less work for us later doing these weapon upgrades. More importantly, the reward for this quest is actually a monumental upgrade.

The Quality Satchel completely overrides the standard version. This one makes it so 2B can just mosey right on up to any moose or boar and immediately mount it without the use of Animal Bait. Indeed, we can just go ahead and sell that since this is a permanent upgrade. We have now obtained full control over nature and its fearsome tactical advantages.

Tune in next time as 2B and the first boar she runs across drift into the final stretch of sidequests as we mop up dealings in the Forest Zone. So begins the last preparations to initiate Route A’s third act as NieR: Automata continues!

Video: Episode 47 Highlight Reel

Forest Zone Concept Art – Sega, you don’t have to put a Green Hill Zone in every attempt to revitalize the Sonic franchise. You don't see Mario trotting out the gentrified relic of 1-1 for every new game.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 30, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
You didn't pick up the cosmetics in the shopping mall?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

The Dark Id posted:

Forest Zone Concept Art – Sega, you don’t have to put a Green Hill Zone in every attempt to revitalize the Sonic franchise. You don't see Mario trotting out the gentrified relic of 1-1 for every new game.

Surely you jest? Everyone knows that if you can perfectly recreate the charm of the original, you'll summon the cargo the same people who bought your game in 1991 will buy it again today. It's a certain bet, boss. The fact that it hasn't worked in the last few tries just means we haven't been doing it properly and need to try harder.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PSA for everyone here:

Half Coordinated will be speedrunning Route A Normal of Nier: Automata to open SGDQ this year. What's going to make the run fun is he does it one handed (and it's not because of a self-imposed challenge, he has a disability that makes it really hard for him to use both hands at the same time, hence his name). However:

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS FOR THE LP IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME AND ARE ONLY FOLLOWING HERE (seeing that TDI is not done with Route A yet). I CAN NOT SAFELY SAY THAT THERE WILL NOT BE NON-ROUTE A SPOILERS EITHER, SO IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SPOIL YOURSELF, DO NOT WATCH UNTIL THE VOD IS UPLOADED. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 29, 2017

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

The Dark Id posted:

So begins the Culinary Research quest. That’s right, everyone. It’s time to go bend nature too our will. With murder! The way god intended it. Or something like that!

Caim approves.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

To atone for those half dozen boars and the one moose we just slaughtered to make burgers for androids who don’t actually gain subsidence from food, we’re going to have to retrieve some medicine to heal ZOAHBOT Machine-loving Machine’s critters.
sustenance
Animal

The Dark Id posted:

What it turn out the humans on the moon have all become akin to the ones from Wall-E.
if it turns

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

So begins the Culinary Research quest. That’s right, everyone. It’s time to go bend nature too our will. With murder! The way god intended it. Or something like that!

to

The Dark Id posted:

Here’s something else.
Analysis: That is a form of sustenance known as “extreme weight-loss superfood.” Humans consumed it in place of more traditional edibles in order to reduce body mass.
Why would they want to do that?

Humans often took in more energy than they expended. Accumulated calories were converted to fat and stored, decreasing physical capabilities.

Should that be 9S or 2B? I'm guessing 9S but I'm not 100% sure.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

White Coke posted:

if it turns

Alternatively, "watch it turn out"

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Why is anyone surprised a Wesker robot knows a mass about pharmaceuticals?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

WCS did reach complete global saturation.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

There's another fantastic benefit from the quality satchet: it spawns a moose or boar next to almost all of the fast travel points. It makes life so much easier, while at the same time annoying you with the moose stand up animation every time.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Qrr posted:

There's another fantastic benefit from the quality satchet: it spawns a moose or boar next to almost all of the fast travel points. It makes life so much easier, while at the same time annoying you with the moose stand up animation every time.

Yeah, it makes it a lot easier to get around the desert. And you can just use the charge attack to instantly destroy any enemies you happen across, even those giant bipeds.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The Dark Id posted:

The boars, however, I needed to burn through about five or six to finally get enough edible flesh to make some bacon. Something tells me 2B might not have received proper training on how to harvest a downed animal... Just a hunch.

haunch

Not a typo, but a huge missed pun opportunity.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

The Dark Id posted:

ANIMALS ARE STRANGE CREATURES. UNLIKE US, THEY CANNOT BE EASILY REPAIRED. IT MUST BE DIFFICULT TO POSSESS SUCH INCONVENIENT BODIES. HOWEVER... UNLIKE US, THEY ARE ALSO WARM.

You're alright, ZOAHMACHINE.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

Pod sounds a lot more like Legion to me than Wesker. Just the way it talks reminds me of the best squadmate of all Mass Effect.

DLord
Apr 28, 2013

Junpei posted:

I don't know much about it, but isn't the Gnostic version of the devil (Satanael, Persona 5 tells me) is actually a decent dude?

No he is not, oh He will not take your free will but he still is do what I tell you or I'll kill you type of guy.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Have I mentioned that I love this goofy game?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The Dark Id posted:

Episode XLVII: Animal Antics

You heard it here first, folks. You can see it on her face. Clear as day. Quite the foodie here.

Seasonings are prohibited, 9S.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

You didn't pick up the cosmetics in the shopping mall?

Lotions are prohibited.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

drat.
This update made me hungry.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That cute animal loving stubby boy jumping in joy :3:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Dark Id posted:

Tune in next time as 2B and the first boar she runs across drifts into the final stretch of sidequests
Pick one, probably.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Nuts, missed the announcement and stream since I was helping people move into a house. Ah well, watched most of the other KH streams on youtube, so no big change.

The mall visit gives me a thought, assuming humans still exist, fleshy bits and all, I wonder how much they're left to their own devices with ...I dunno, moon factories and farms, or if they have androids that visit, bring supplies and such. We know they don't really talk to the bunkers these years, but I don't know if that means zero communication to any android.

Also, just like the close up visual of A2, heat is another tidbit of inhumanity I never really thought about considering how visually human our androids are. I guess they'd want to be as cold as they could to minimize melting those chips and circuits. They've got some fluids to worry about, sure, but they still probably feel a lot cooler than a human.

The Dark Id posted:

What it it turn out the humans on the moon have all become

Less work for us later doing this weapon upgrades.

as 2B and the first boar she runs across drifts into the final stretch of sidequests

Should be "if it turns" "these" and "drift", respectively.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Zagglezig posted:

The mall visit gives me a thought, assuming humans still exist, fleshy bits and all, I wonder how much they're left to their own devices with ...I dunno, moon factories and farms, or if they have androids that visit, bring supplies and such. We know they don't really talk to the bunkers these years, but I don't know if that means zero communication to any android.

There is that short scene showing supply rockets taking off towards the Bunker and/or the Moon. It does look like critical supplies can only be found on Earth.

Tazgirl18992
Aug 15, 2015

Remembering IDs comment about the quest with the couple of resistance members being locked out if you don't do it before the main quest gets to the flooded city, I completed it early. So glad I didn't waste 50k.

I'm now doing all the drat quests now ive got the fast travel. And lots of fishing. Because I want to buy all the things now.

Edit: I also want to mention how much I dislike killifish. I swear the pod doesn't always make a splashing sound when he gets one of them.

Tazgirl18992 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 30, 2017

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Glazius posted:

You're alright, ZOAHMACHINE.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Emotions may be prohibited, but the regulations say nothing about hugs

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You say that androids don't have magic anymore, but I can't help but notice

quote:

MP: 100%
among the various status reports that scroll past when you boot up a new body.

Maybe they just don't use magic anymore? It's unfashionable?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
To be a Drakenier protagonist, you basically need to have 100% Murder Points at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic! :v:

• Locked thread