Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Velthice posted:

it's a redditor :ssh:

you're only making my argument more compelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ow0Ppg-u5KbxS-0SqUe5txeY2M5y69F5RzffxD1Er48/edit?usp=sharing

I finished the frontline/dungeon exp chart I mentioned earlier in the thread. If i was a cool spreadsheeter I'd make it calculate like the PotD calculator but I am lazy.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
what is dungeon exp w/o rested

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ImpAtom posted:

Bird/doge farming seems like a genuinely awful time.

Its not so bad when you have a dedicated group. Pugging birds would suuuuuck.

For all the HW birds it took us around 30 runs to get 8 birds on most of the fights. Sophia took around 50. Zurvan took almost 80. Our first Zurvan clear got us a bird and it was almost a full stack of totems later to get the 8th.

Good and evil the war eternal still haunts my dreams.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Streambombing with the Rainbow Snowman is never not funny.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ObedientFaithfulAntBrokeBack

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 29, 2017

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Do Elezen males just not exist?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cmon Aymeric is standing, like, right there

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Injuryprone posted:

Have you played Heavensward

I'm one

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

This. DGKK forever. Our house is Carbuncle.

I love living in the Carbunclehaus.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Oxyclean posted:

There's literally nothing saying BLU has to be 1:1 to other forms of blue mage. They can just define Blue magic to be inspired or based on monster abilities, rather then literal reproductions of monster abilities either, not unlike how Red Magic is a distinct thing despite it not being it's own magic type in the past.

Which reminds me, Time Mage as healer??? :v: From what I remember from other FF games it's more of a support caster then an offensive caster.

Just like Geomancer, the 50-60 questline for Astrologian makes it clear that Time Mages are in fact, Astrologians.

Edit- Oh geez that was six pages back.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Minrad posted:

what is dungeon exp w/o rested

i dunno but i dont wanna live in a world without rested exp

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

i dunno but i dont wanna live in a world without rested exp

I used all mine up :rip:

Xaitil
Aug 5, 2009

Injuryprone posted:

We do, I assure you!

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Reiterpallasch posted:

balance probably should catch a nerf, arrow a buff, and spear not made comically useless though

All spear really needs is to last until the next time the target uses a skill with a cooldown. And maybe a boost to the cooldown reduction too. People would probably adore it if it cut a cooldown in half, for example.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Xaitil posted:

We do, I assure you!

I never knew how much I needed dad stache elves until now

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Reiterpallasch posted:

the really iconic monster abilities tend to be masasive gently caress-off aoe attacks or tankbusters though, neither of which are really apt for your 1-2-3 generation combo. can't even give them aero for ff5 flavor, since WHM has that covered.

There are plenty of weaker classical BLU abilities though, goblin punch for example.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Thanks to the TPT goons who came out to help me and Gerard complete The Royal Menagerie.

I went and queued for Ala Mhigo to help Gerard skip the queue and we happened to get paired with two TPT goons who created a big group to take on the trial.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Obligatum VII posted:

All spear really needs is to last until the next time the target uses a skill with a cooldown. And maybe a boost to the cooldown reduction too. People would probably adore it if it cut a cooldown in half, for example.

It would still be bad. In high end content you don't just slam your cooldowns every time they're available. They're organized to hit specific phases of the fight, and to avoid specific phases of the fight.

Getting defensive cooldowns early won't matter if you need to save them for the next tankbuster anyways, and getting dps cooldowns up don't matter if you have to wait through one of the many movement or invulvn phases. You might be able to sneak in an extra dps burst window maybe, but then it depends on drawing that spear in the right time of the fight. Otherwise you're going to play it safe and use CDs when you know they give the most effectiveness.

Sure it works nice in dungeon content, but in organized raids CDR abilities that you can't control just aren't that good.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Xaitil posted:

We do, I assure you!

Your elezen looks like sexy sax man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaoLU6zKaws

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mordiceius posted:

Thanks to the TPT goons who came out to help me and Gerard complete The Royal Menagerie.

I went and queued for Ala Mhigo to help Gerard skip the queue and we happened to get paired with two TPT goons who created a big group to take on the trial.

No sweat. Always better to go in as a group.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so BLM aoe before 68, that's still Fire 2 at 4+ targets, Fire IV at 3- targets, and Flare to wrap up at 2+ targets, right?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its not so bad when you have a dedicated group. Pugging birds would suuuuuck.

For all the HW birds it took us around 30 runs to get 8 birds on most of the fights. Sophia took around 50. Zurvan took almost 80. Our first Zurvan clear got us a bird and it was almost a full stack of totems later to get the 8th.

Good and evil the war eternal still haunts my dreams.

This reminds me that I still have to finish getting birds. Sephirot and Nidhogg are fine, but I do not have any love for Sophia.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

By what measure? Neither is in 3. Both are in 5. Both are in 11. Samurai is in Tactics, but Blue Mage is not. Blue Mage is in both T. Advance games, Samurai is not. Samurai is in X-2, but Blue Mage is not. I think they're perfectly even with some slide made for Blue Mage archetype guys like Quina or Samurai archetypes like Cyan and Auron.
From some pages back, but Final Fantasy Tactics A2 had the katana-wielding, iai-trained Paravir, which in Japanese was Yojimbo.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

blue mage was in x-2 it just wasn't named blue mage, but it otherwise used the gimmick of learning enemy attacks by getting hit by them and cast them with "blue bullet"

I would say what makes blue mage iconic isn't so much the class itself but the attacks it uses. Bad Breath, Aqua Rake, 1000 needles, etc etc. It's the final fantasy bestiary greatest hits collection.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SettingSun posted:

Actually that gives me an idea for a true caster tank: Time Mage. Instead of the support focus of FF5, it focuses on a damage smearing time shield. It would work a little like stagger, where any damage they take would be converted into a DoT which they can manage in some form of another. Their attack skills can include Comet and that acceleration bomb that Ozma had. Their class gauge could be "Inertia" which increases as their time shield smears damage.

Make the damage diverted hit your MP pool, you gotta manage MP or you get splat. I'd really like a proper mana shield caster tonk. Double bonus if they do it wearing healer gear for piety bonuses.

Of course this would never work, but hey, a guy can dream.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It would still be bad. In high end content you don't just slam your cooldowns every time they're available. They're organized to hit specific phases of the fight, and to avoid specific phases of the fight.

Getting defensive cooldowns early won't matter if you need to save them for the next tankbuster anyways, and getting dps cooldowns up don't matter if you have to wait through one of the many movement or invulvn phases. You might be able to sneak in an extra dps burst window maybe, but then it depends on drawing that spear in the right time of the fight. Otherwise you're going to play it safe and use CDs when you know they give the most effectiveness.

Sure it works nice in dungeon content, but in organized raids CDR abilities that you can't control just aren't that good.

On the other hand, imagine being able to tank ult twice as often. It'd be pretty wacky.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

so BLM aoe before 68, that's still Fire 2 at 4+ targets, Fire IV at 3- targets, and Flare to wrap up at 2+ targets, right?

Make sure you put a thunder 2/4 in there somewhere.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got it, thanks. I like how BLM feels now with Enochian difficulty reduced, I oughta have a good time getting that to 70.

RDM is still better though :colbert:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played much RDM, but Foul is so stupidly good. Yesterday the other BLM did the old "aoe lb the adds on dungeon boss" trick, but by the time the lb hit, they were all dead because for some reason Foul is a 650 potency aoe attack, holy poo poo. "I didn't think they'd die that fast"

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SCH needs some tweaks, but these reddit meltdown posts over it are something else entirely.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

nuru posted:

SCH needs some tweaks, but these reddit meltdown posts over it are something else entirely.

Seriously. The play loop and skills are perfectly fine and I can even see what old problems they're trying to address (and while I disagree that "healers were capable of way too much AoE damage" is a problem, I know they considered it one). SCH literally needs some number adjustments and that's it, it's fine otherwise.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Going back to the WoW discussion a few pages back. At least this game is upfront about how important your character is to the plot, you know your role and you (and your ever changing dungeon queue rando friends) are good at it.

Like with WoW i don't even know where your character is suppose to fall in power in terms of Warcraft. I've not played Legion yet so i don't know how stupidly OP your character is suppose to be but up until at least Lich King you were just some random adventurer right? Stronger than a normal person but not nearly as cool and Thrall and friends? Plus lets not forget that every time a new expansion comes out the Alliance and the Horde have to come together to beat the bad guy anyway so what is even the drat point of fighting each other anymore. Or what about a dungeon/raid that lets you party up with people of any faction?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Going back to the WoW discussion a few pages back. At least this game is upfront about how important your character is to the plot, you know your role and you (and your ever changing dungeon queue rando friends) are good at it.

Like with WoW i don't even know where your character is suppose to fall in power in terms of Warcraft. I've not played Legion yet so i don't know how stupidly OP your character is suppose to be but up until at least Lich King you were just some random adventurer right? Stronger than a normal person but not nearly as cool and Thrall and friends? Plus lets not forget that every time a new expansion comes out the Alliance and the Horde have to come together to beat the bad guy anyway so what is even the drat point of fighting each other anymore. Or what about a dungeon/raid that lets you party up with people of any faction?

Up until like Mists of Pandaria, you're pretty much just an adventurer who earns his reputation with their respective faction. After that you're a high ranking member of the faction as a leader of expeditionary forces in to Draenor. My reckoning is that you are almost or at the level of strength as the named heroes in each faction.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 29, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Xaitil posted:

We do, I assure you!

wait is that the doman garlean uniform can you actually get that

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah this was pretty cool, thanks folks. Ala Mhigo is fun. The final trial is cool and good and also :stare:

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
There's only one cute elfboy and his name is Alisaie.

Realtalk though, is scholar still super good? I was focusing on WHM since I upgraded yesterday but SCH is calling me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lokipunk posted:

Realtalk though, is scholar still super good? I was focusing on WHM since I upgraded yesterday but SCH is calling me.

Scholar is a little weak in number terms right now but once they inevitably buff it it'll probably be pretty ridiculous because it's already pretty strong.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lokipunk posted:

It's bad in dungeons because your entire AoE arsenal is 70 potency per tick worth of dots that scale down pretty harshly past 3-4 targets and a 250 potency shadow flare once per minute.

In boss fights it still works great though.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Alisaie is a girl!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
The thing I really appreciate in FF14 and got really annoyed with in WoW and other RPGs is that, people know who the gently caress you are and react accordingly, you are respected and deserve respect after everything you personally have accomplished to reach this point.

It always annoyed me when quest NPCs treated you like some slack-jawed lacky beneath their notice when canonically you've helped stop some of world's most dangerous threats.

Or when you get attacked by thugs looking to rob you whilst you have the bits of several elder gods attached to your armour and wielding a weapon of legend.

Games that acknowledge that you are in fact a pretty big deal please me.