Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Wanderer posted:

That's an unfortunate consequence of trying to do a "modern" F13 in a post-Scream age; you can't just do a straight-up dumb slasher movie anymore. Hatchet is basically a comedy, and the F13 reboot movie still has some element of craft to it, such as the fakeout about who was going to be the final girl.

Thinking about it, if you just go by an average round of this game, you could get a pretty good F13 movie out of a plot where Jason just shows up, and the various counselors/campers/victims end up dying to misadventure or each other over the course of the night, with Jason watching from the bushes and getting increasingly frustrated with each denied kill. He'd end up bushwhacking a paramedic at the end of the movie just to satiate his own murder jones before sulking off back to the lake. Friday the 13th, Part XIV: The Night Jason Didn't Do poo poo.

Actually this has already been made. It was a scream parody.

Genre is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Nothing about F13 1 or 2 would even be out of place today.

Everyone gets killed by surprise until the final girl.

Then you have the scene where final girl finds the bodies and when she tries to call the cops Jason smacks the phone out of her hand instead of cutting the landline.

It is REALLY not that hard to write around "BUT CELLPHONE" in a slasher movie.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There is a Jason movie in space. I don't think this is a genre prone to taking itself all that seriously.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

We had a brief session of Science Camp tonight.

*Jason can still block the stun after a female counselor uses the sweater. This didn't take long so we had counselor fight club afterwards.

If you plan on attending Fight Club as Tiffany, don't. I broke no less than five weapons on counselors.

edit: frying pan being max durability my rear end

Sticky Nate fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 29, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It is REALLY not that hard to write around "BUT CELLPHONE" in a slasher movie.

It's not, no. I'm not sure who's arguing otherwise.

Even if you just let them have functioning phones, all it means is that the cops show up a little faster (so the first patrol car rocks up to the gate so the cops inside can get stealth-murdered) and nobody is going to wander through the woods with a flashlight screaming their (dead) missing friends' names. You just call their phone, and realize their obnoxious ringtone is coming from the rafters of the cabin you're in.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There is a Jason movie in space. I don't think this is a genre prone to taking itself all that seriously.

It isn't anymore. The first few entries in all the major franchises took themselves very seriously, but the campy humor gradually crept in over time, and from there it's a pendulum swing. Halloween resisted it for the longest of any of them, but then you get the movie where Michael Meyers fights Busta Rhymes and Busta lives.

In F13, there are a couple of goofy victims here and there ("It says you're a dead gently caress."), but most of the films are reasonably serious until part VI or so, which is a self-parody. That's part of why I think the game being deliberately set in the early '80s is a smart move on the developers' part, since it's trying to draw on the feel of the earlier movies.

Danaru posted:

Man how y'all gonna make me sad in this Friday the 13th thread :smith: poor Morgan she ain't deserve that

EDIT: I opened this on my phone and it gave me a specific gofundme that doesn't show up when I click it in my browser :stare: that's weird

...weird. I was trying to do a deformed URL so it didn't actually go anywhere.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
In summary, New Line Cinema, Sean Cunningham, et al., give me $600,000 and a decent camera so I can film local theater actors getting nude and dead in the woods so you can make $100M box office plus merch and home video.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm watching the Hatchet movies for the first time (on 3 now) and boy are these bad. Even Jason goes to hell was better than this. It's kind of neat that they take place over a couple consecutive days I guess.

Edit: ok having that one Asian actor back three times as three different characters owns

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 29, 2017

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Here's how you effortlessly solve the modernity problem for a new Friday the 13th: They go to a remote no-tech summer camp to for teenagers to "unplug" so the only people with phones are the camp staff. You even have a scene early on where one of the campers gets their phone confiscated to serve as a Chekhov's gun.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

ChickenHeart posted:

PRO CHICKENHEART STRAT: In cabins with multiple exits, open the door opposite of the one Jason is chopping down, and sneak back under a bed; every Jason I've done this to has fallen for this ruse.

This has entered my repertoire and I am absolutely loving it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So

Some things happened tonight

I don't want to talk about them

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Am I the only one who just plain does not get the XP you earn? I mean I understand the XP is not really a huge deal and the level bar seems to actually go up for the most part but I can't buy all the stuff I think I should be able to and that is a little lame. :smith:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm watching the Hatchet movies for the first time (on 3 now) and boy are these bad. Even Jason goes to hell was better than this. It's kind of neat that they take place over a couple consecutive days I guess.

Edit: ok having that one Asian actor back three times as three different characters owns

My favorite moment in any Hatchet movie is in the third one, when that guy fires the rocket launcher at Crowley and takes out the guy Crowley's fighting. The way Crowley turns to look at the guy who fired at him is funny.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm watching My Bloody Valentine (1981).

It's pretty good.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I saw the 3d remake of that in theatre for some loving reason. I'm on a slasher kick thanks to this game and will probably watch the original after I finish these Hatchet movies.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Pharmaskittle posted:

I saw the 3d remake of that in theatre for some loving reason. I'm on a slasher kick thanks to this game and will probably watch the original after I finish these Hatchet movies.

Yeah between Until Dawn and F13 my nightly routine has been watching 1 or 2 slashers before bed and I'm running out. Pretty soon I'll have to dip into bullshit like Halloween 4+.

Sleepaway Camp trilogy was a real highlight and they're just getting better every time I watch them.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

God dammit. I found the fuse in the first house I ran to and managed to fix the phone, but Jason quickly showed up because I messed up once during the repair (playing as Vanessa). I led him on a chase for a good five minutes before he managed to shift-grab me, but not a single loving person used the phone for the entire match. I didn't have a walkie talkie and was hoping somebody would check their objectives and realize that the phone is up, but nooooope.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

codenameFANGIO posted:

Am I the only one who just plain does not get the XP you earn? I mean I understand the XP is not really a huge deal and the level bar seems to actually go up for the most part but I can't buy all the stuff I think I should be able to and that is a little lame. :smith:

You only get like 10% of the exp you earn as CP, unless you earn a level in which case you'll get a bunch as well.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Yeah between Until Dawn and F13 my nightly routine has been watching 1 or 2 slashers before bed and I'm running out. Pretty soon I'll have to dip into bullshit like Halloween 4+.

Sleepaway Camp trilogy was a real highlight and they're just getting better every time I watch them.

Talking about slasher movies in general, as bad as Friday the 13th got a time or two, I don't think I could ever hate any of them like I do (Halloween 6) The Curse of Michael Myers, because god did that movie feel like it sucked all the fun out. They couldn't just leave it alone and let Michael Myers be a supernaturally strong crazyman, gotta explain it all out to be a dumb druid cult runic curse. Then thanks to a terrible test screening, they butchered the ending and Donald Pleasence had already died when it was rushed back into production, plus the ~producer's cut~ has some more extra junk added in like the most important bit that it was really missing, some incestuous Michael Myers rape.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pharmaskittle posted:

The OG MBV is a good but tonaly odd slasher in that it deals with straight up adults instead of teenagers.

I'd recommend The Prowler, Terror Train (it's got Jamie Lee Curtis in it :3:) for slashers I think are legitimately good examples of the genre.

If you want fun but kinda trashy, the Sleepaway Camp movies are a blast, although 3 kinda sucks due to how badly it was butchered by the MPAA, Prom Night is dopey as hell but fun, and Graduation Day has Vanna White and probably the most hilarious musical numbers in a slasher....ever (Stagefright remake was bad :colbert:)

Slumber Party Massacre and Sorority House Massacre are both alright. One is better than the other and I can never remember which it is.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Talking about slasher movies in general, as bad as Friday the 13th got a time or two, I don't think I could ever hate any of them like I do (Halloween 6) The Curse of Michael Myers, because god did that movie feel like it sucked all the fun out. They couldn't just leave it alone and let Michael Myers be a supernaturally strong crazyman, gotta explain it all out to be a dumb druid cult runic curse. Then thanks to a terrible test screening, they butchered the ending and Donald Pleasence had already died when it was rushed back into production, plus the ~producer's cut~ has some more extra junk added in like the most important bit that it was really missing, some incestuous Michael Myers rape.

H6 is a loving disaster. The Halloween franchise flying off the rails the way it does is almost as impressive as Hellraiser for how obviously the people in charge didn't understand what they had.

Halloween 4 is OK but it feels like a slog compared to the first two, and 5 is so dull I don't remember a single thing about it other than the mask looking awful.

H6 is really only worth watching for a very young Paul Rudd chewing scenery like he's starving to death.

But seriously everything else about H6 is terrible, and if someone tells you the "Producers Cut" is better, slap them and run away. Halloween fans, especially apologists for H6 are not to be trusted.

But if you ever wanted to watch a franchise careen off a cliff, watch H6.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I don't want to jinx it by mentioning it on SA, but you can find a weirdly high number of '80s horror movies intact and uncut on YouTube. I went looking for a clip of Prom Night II--it's not a good movie, but it was one of the first horror movies I ever saw, with a truly shocking quality kill near the end--and found the whole movie. It's been up for three years.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Wanderer posted:

I don't want to jinx it by mentioning it on SA, but you can find a weirdly high number of '80s horror movies intact and uncut on YouTube. I went looking for a clip of Prom Night II--it's not a good movie, but it was one of the first horror movies I ever saw, with a truly shocking quality kill near the end--and found the whole movie. It's been up for three years.

This. There's a lot of random old horror movies period floating around Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP8vaiiqJY8KD_CtVFftj5X_H_P3Fly7_

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Watching a couple streams and at various points in them Jason would get stabbed by a knife and then hit by a bat so hard he goes flying across the map glitching through buildings.

Which movie was that from?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Watching a couple streams and at various points in them Jason would get stabbed by a knife and then hit by a bat so hard he goes flying across the map glitching through buildings.

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in one of the novels.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Played a game as Tiffany and it turned out half the lobby was Japanese. I kept dropping items near things, like fuse by fuse box, but no one could understand me telling them to go fix it. The language barrier definitely made the game that much more tense and difficult, and yeah, we all got murked.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Only half?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I really don't enjoy doing the "Lala this movie isn't in my headcanon can't hear you" thing (because they're dumb slasher movies, who cares) but I steadfastly ignore any Halloween movie that came after H20. There was no better ending for the series than that. :colbert:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

one time this happened while i was chad and screaming about 'EXCALIBAAAAAAAAT' as some of my underlings attempted to start the car

suffice it to say after Excalibat defeated jason we no longer needed the car

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

DeathChicken posted:

I really don't enjoy doing the "Lala this movie isn't in my headcanon can't hear you" thing (because they're dumb slasher movies, who cares) but I steadfastly ignore any Halloween movie that came after H20. There was no better ending for the series than that. :colbert:

Everyone knows the Halloween series peaked with Halloween III: Season of the Witch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7-uC0LDllM

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It was a few pages back at this point but i didnt' realize Jasons's sense ability actually worked differently as the round went on? Or like how hiding spots can actually be effective early on in the round somehow?

It really feels like there's so much depth to this game that is still waiting to be found but it's hard to know for sure what's intentional or not because of glitchyness.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
Man, second play with Jason and I just 8/8'd a bunch of pubs as Jason 6. That's a hell of a feeling!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It was a few pages back at this point but i didnt' realize Jasons's sense ability actually worked differently as the round went on? Or like how hiding spots can actually be effective early on in the round somehow?

It really feels like there's so much depth to this game that is still waiting to be found but it's hard to know for sure what's intentional or not because of glitchyness.

Jason gets more perceptive and more powerful in terms of shorter cooldowns as the round continues. When you're in a hiding spot it makes you harder to sense, so yes, early on in the round hiding spots are helpful and later on they're likely to fail you.

It makes perfect sense when you think about it from a design perspective since if hiding spots were good the entire round there would be a meta of just popping into the first one you see and never coming out.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Yardbomb posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in one of the novels.

They did NOVELS?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

They did NOVELS?

You bet your rear end they did, up until the 2000's for the most recent one* too.

*Friday the 13th: Carnival of Maniacs is a 2006 novel written by Stephen Hand and published by Black Flame.

"After twenty-five years Pamela Voorhees is back and she's ready to join her son in a rampage of murder. Only Jason is not at home any more; he's the main attraction in a travelling sideshow. Pamela will stop at nothing to bring Jason back to Crystal Lake, but she had better hurry, because someone at the sideshow is planning to sell Jason's body on an internet auction site! Who would be crazy enough to want Jason in their own home? Will the FBI step in and put Jason away before the final bid?

Full of action and good, old-fashioned slasher mayhem, Carnival of Maniacs proves that you really should try before you buy."

They're bizarre and incredible in the same step.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Good god... That sounds... Fascinating.

Holy crap. They sell for about 300 quid a pop on Amazon!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah unfortunately Black Flame went under a couple of years after that, so they're very much out of print these days.

There were also like THREE Jason X novels, as well as I think another that was just a direct novelization of the movie.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
They all sound like the most whacky fan fiction too. And that's coming from someone who has written a lot of Jason fanfiction.

My point being, I wish I could paid to write daft Jason fanfiction.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Wanderer posted:

Thinking about it, if you just go by an average round of this game, you could get a pretty good F13 movie out of a plot where Jason just shows up, and the various counselors/campers/victims end up dying to misadventure or each other over the course of the night, with Jason watching from the bushes and getting increasingly frustrated with each denied kill. He'd end up bushwhacking a paramedic at the end of the movie just to satiate his own murder jones before sulking off back to the lake. Friday the 13th, Part XIV: The Night Jason Didn't Do poo poo.

That reminds me of Tucker & Dale VS Evil.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Drunken Baker posted:

Good god... That sounds... Fascinating.

Holy crap. They sell for about 300 quid a pop on Amazon!

That's a lot of quid, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
About 400 bucks?

• Locked thread