Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Nice work. Is there a support in the middle when the cover is back on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There will be. I haven't ACTUALLY built the lid, I just laid the planks down for the night. Probably going to do it in two or three sections actually, with supports at the ends of each section, so it'll be like a standard 16" span.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Has anyone ever installed a sandbox in their bathroom?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

bEatmstrJ posted:

lol please post a new thread about the state of your bathroom

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

bEatmstrJ posted:

:frog::respek::haw:

missed you friend. whats up? getting a cat or building a bath-beach?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

bEatmstrJ posted:

u got this

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Sand pit, gravel pit. Same difference.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

bEatmstrJ posted:

I did. We had to cut a couple of floor joists to get it to fit in the way I envisioned it. On the plus side I now have a cool trampoline in there too at no additional cost. I figured if I would have cut out another floor joist, the bounce would have been twice as good.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

bEatmstrJ posted:

Don't get suckered by supposed "professional installers", the three seashells don't need that level of environmental support in a home environment.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

bEatmstrJ posted:

Hi please detail how you made your bedroom and closet extra lady-friendly, I'm genuinely interested. Lots of shelves? A revolving shoe rack?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The smart mirror has negging software.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

bEatmstrJ posted:

oh god please post the render of your new plans

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I would absolutely love to get out of the tub and step on sand. That would be the best drat thing :allears:

I bet the :females: will really go for it as well

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Fuckface the Hedgehog posted:

Sand pit, gravel pit. Same difference.

The post modern sand waterfall directly into the kitchen is the real panty dropper.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

sneakyfrog posted:

:frog::respek::haw:

missed you friend. whats up? getting a cat or building a bath-beach?

Well I already have a cat, but a bath beach does sound lovely. Maybe I can turn it into a saltwater bath.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

bEatmstrJ posted:

Well I already have a cat, but a bath beach does sound lovely. Maybe I can turn it into a saltwater bath.

:justpost: friend. :justpost:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The good news is that my joystick for Amiga emulation works well! The bad news is that the internals were way bigger than I anticipated, so it's... tall.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

bEatmstrJ posted:

Never leave again.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Trabant posted:

The good news is that my joystick for Amiga emulation works well! The bad news is that the internals were way bigger than I anticipated, so it's... tall.

How do you know which direction is up?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

bEatmstrJ posted:

Is it to soak up all the bathwater?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

COOL CORN posted:

Is it to soak up all the bathwater?

It's the first step toward toilet-training your cat.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Bad Munki posted:

It's the first step toward toilet-training your cat goon.

FTFY

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Everybody's favorite part of the beach now conveniently in your own home!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Who What Now posted:

We're still talking about pooping, right?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Illuminado posted:

How do you know which direction is up?

Go betwixt the buttons!

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Who What Now posted:

Isn't that the three seashells?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I could use some advice on something, I'm not much of a nuts and bolts person.

I have a desk that I like (adjustable height, etc) and I bought a relatively hefty keyboard tray that screws to the bottom of the wood desktop with eight wood screws.

I went to drill some 1/16" pilot holes and of course I discover the desktop is hollow because of course it's from ikea.

Anyone got any workshop-expedient solutions to suggest? I considered a 1/8" thick plastic plate or washers topside (so the hardware bolts through the hollow desktop and anchors to a plate/washers topside).

I'm really looking for a decent shortcut to the probably actually correct solution of replacing the desktop :v:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just a sheet metal spreader on top and bottom with some tin snips if you dont mind the janky. (i would mind the janky)

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Mister Sinewave posted:

I could use some advice on something, I'm not much of a nuts and bolts person.

I have a desk that I like (adjustable height, etc) and I bought a relatively hefty keyboard tray that screws to the bottom of the wood desktop with eight wood screws.

I went to drill some 1/16" pilot holes and of course I discover the desktop is hollow because of course it's from ikea.

Anyone got any workshop-expedient solutions to suggest? I considered a 1/8" thick plastic plate or washers topside (so the hardware bolts through the hollow desktop and anchors to a plate/washers topside).

I'm really looking for a decent shortcut to the probably actually correct solution of replacing the desktop :v:

squeeze epoxy into the pilot holes, and make sure you use enough to start filling the gap. If it's a corrugated cardboard core, you might want to poke around to hollow out a pocket first. You can also get a sheet of acrylic, glue it to the bottom of the desk and use expanding anchor studs, though I forget what they're called.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I hadn't considered a sheet on the bottom and expanding anchor studs, that's an interesting idea. I would prefer to keep the top of the desk desk-like after all. I might go the epoxy route if I think I can pull it off.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

In theory you could also cut out a section from the bottom, insert a real piece of wood in the empty space (gluing it in) and then glue the bottom back on. Would leave some 'scars' where you cut out the piece of course, but it would be functional assuming you used good glue, did a large enough area to spread out the load, and clamped it properly while it cured.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Mister Sinewave posted:

I hadn't considered a sheet on the bottom and expanding anchor studs, that's an interesting idea. I would prefer to keep the top of the desk desk-like after all. I might go the epoxy route if I think I can pull it off.

You're welcome! Home Depot and Lowes carry acrylic sheets that are maybe 18" x 24" and bigger. $20 or less.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Plywood will be easier to glue.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

wormil posted:

Plywood will be easier to glue.

True, and you could screw directly into it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I cut a piece of plywood (going to try to get away with 1/4") and am going to glue it to the bottom of the desk, and maybe get some epoxy into the desk hollow after some pilot holes if I feel the screws could use the extra anchoring. Thanks for the tip!

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Oh god oh god oh god

Routed all outer edges with a 1/2" roundover bit:

Ridiculous tear-out of the cheap plywood veneer:

Short recap: design flaws resulted in joints that wouldn't work with wood glue. I chose to use polyurethane construction adhesive for its gap-filling properties. Turns out it's easy to overdo the glue when you don't know what you're doing, and that gap-filling glues can expand gaps.

Gap at corners:

Gap between wall, veneer.

Welp!

I set about closing inner gaps with caulk and outer gaps with wood filler. I had never used caulk before, and decided to skip the "tape what you don't want caulked" step.

Results were predictable!

Looks like someone murdered the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Wood filler on the corners/etc. Bondo would have been a better choice, I think.

Looking good. Looking real good.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Go back over the edges with the roundover bit:

Pause for selfie with the nerdpace's mantra:

Spend untold hours sanding, scraping, chiseling, etc.:

That looks way better than it should.

Speaker baffle:

Wood filler.

Back baffle:

Wood. Filler.

Handle:

Note that the screw holes don't line up. :welp:

Next update: painting. God help us.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

scandoslav posted:

Bondo would have been a better choice, I think.

Bondo saved my rear end when I was refinishing an ancient radio cabinet (earlier in the thread). You can still use it to flatten everything: get the all-purpose formulation and bring all the sandpaper and grim determination you can muster. My old man and I eventually got the surface smooth as glass.

And keep going!

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
I think I would have started again at some point during all of that, on the other hand I rarely finish anything so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Trabant posted:

Bondo saved my rear end when I was refinishing an ancient radio cabinet (earlier in the thread). You can still use it to flatten everything: get the all-purpose formulation and bring all the sandpaper and grim determination you can muster. My old man and I eventually got the surface smooth as glass.

And keep going!

Yeah I looked at Bondo but decided that mixing it was too much of a hassle. I then spent way more time and effort using wood filler. There's a lesson there, somewhere, I think.

This project is mostly grim determination and sanding at this point.