Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Larrymer posted:

Probably because it can't hold any power unless you get the $$$ix speed.

Edit: beaten
Mmm, and I don't think you can (easily) do the rear output delete on the six speed.

Audi gearbox advantages as I understand them:
- Pretty common
- They are available in pure 2wd out the box
- They're reasonably strong, used for things like the bigger TDi engines and so on
- They seem to like using the same bellhousing pattern across a lot of stuff.
- Some of them are quite stubby and don't hang out a mile off the back of the engine.
- Some of them have the output shafts really far forward, so you can have a longer engine without the driveshafts running at a silly angle.

Thing is, there really aren't that many gearboxes out there which let you mount an engine longitudinally with only 2wd outputs from it, in the right place to work nicely for mid engine use, and stuff like a used Porsche or new Ricardo etc is a fair chunk of change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Wasabi the J posted:

Lmao that's a PC water cooling rad on top of the trans.

Not sure it was built to handle any vibration.

My assumption is that its a cooler that is either also used as a PC cooler, or is a standard size/frame. I really doubt someone is going to use Cooler Master oil coolers. Although, there's nothing to stop you as it likely runs a tiny diaphram pump and oil that is near water consistency at temperature.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mekilljoydammit posted:

The Subaru transaxle is... fine up to a point, but seemingly most of the people building mid-engine kit car stuff are putting V8s in them, and no way is a Subaru 5 speed going to hold that for long. Most people doing lower powered mid-engine stuff (I4s, V6s, etc) just use FWD transverse style setups. Some VW guys do Subaru transaxles though, and RE Amemiya did a rotary Lotus Europa with one.

No one doing a V8 uses a 5 speed. They pay up for the six speed.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

InitialDave posted:

Mmm, and I don't think you can (easily) do the rear output delete on the six speed.

I didn't know that, I just know the 5 speed would be silly behind anything making about ~300hp for me. Maybe it's not as bad in 2wd mode and holds together better? :shrug:

Factory five's 818 info says this on the site:

FactoryFive posted:

*You can use a 2004-2007 Subaru STI as a donor car for your 818 build including the engine, but not as a single donor car build. The following parts will need to be sourced from an Impreza/WRX:

Front spindles and hubs
Rear spindles and hubs
CV Axles
Transmission (Pre-2006 STI transmissions will not work with the 2 wheel drive adapter)

Sounds like some of them can be used at least? Or the 2007 only, maybe. I'm not a Subaru expert by any means.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

How do they lockout the centre diff?

Larrymer posted:

I didn't know that, I just know the 5 speed would be silly behind anything making about ~300hp for me. Maybe it's not as bad in 2wd mode and holds together better? :shrug:

Factory five's 818 info says this on the site:
Mmm, it's because they use a bolt-on solution, and it's only designed for the 5.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sure, but for a mid-engine 2wd dealie, a used Subaru 6-speed is around Porsche transaxle money, and those seem less a pain in the dick to convert to 2wd.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

How do they lockout the centre diff?

Mmm, it's because they use a bolt-on solution, and it's only designed for the 5.

Well basically there the "bolt it on in such a way you can revert" or there's the "Destructively modify". Usually for a viscous diff you can sleeve or spool the diffs to lock the shafts. The six speed is indeed somewhat trickier given the gizmos in it but same idea applies - it's also on the older gearboxes from my understanding you cant really remove the rear output easily.

Now given this isnt somethign I've looked too closely into (but have thought about) but I do know that removal of the centre diff is part of the conversion to FWD.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This truck popped up at an auction here.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

For those of you who aren't in the Facebook group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnKH747Gt2Y

Friend traded his Harley for this. International frame and cowl, Ford sedan body, and a GMC bed, all powered by a massively hopped up 305. He's already got plans to change the grille and headlights, add some mirrors, redo the interior a bit to his liking, and just generally tweak and customize it to suit his tastes. It sounds utterly amazing in person, and all he needs is a new steering rack which he's getting tomorrow, and it'll be drivable. There's gonna be a proper photo shoot of this thing fairly soon and i'm absolutely excited to get out and snap some good shots of it :D

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I still don't know why anyone would do this, but I'm more than pleased with the outcome.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

Wish I had the garage space. :smith:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Powershift posted:

I did not expect the odometer surprise. And knowing that, how are there no cluster lights on?

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Larrymer posted:

I did not expect the odometer surprise. And knowing that, how are there no cluster lights on?

They burned out a while ago? :tipshat:

Slack3r fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 29, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Goodwood is live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEhEbPoDtHo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

Lmao that's a PC water cooling rad on top of the trans.

Not sure it was built to handle any vibration.

If its metal end capped and properly vibration isolated, it'll probably do fine.

mobby_6kl posted:

I still don't know why anyone would do this, but I'm more than pleased with the outcome.

The best part is when guys in lifted picked do it, with an empty bed, and are shocked that lack of weight on the rear wheels results in them getting dragged around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r46BKOCVKGA

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

T1g4h posted:

For those of you who aren't in the Facebook group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnKH747Gt2Y

Friend traded his Harley for this. International frame and cowl, Ford sedan body, and a GMC bed, all powered by a massively hopped up 305. He's already got plans to change the grille and headlights, add some mirrors, redo the interior a bit to his liking, and just generally tweak and customize it to suit his tastes. It sounds utterly amazing in person, and all he needs is a new steering rack which he's getting tomorrow, and it'll be drivable. There's gonna be a proper photo shoot of this thing fairly soon and i'm absolutely excited to get out and snap some good shots of it :D

That is a *quite* rowdy 305, there.

CommieGIR posted:

The best part is when guys in lifted picked do it, with an empty bed, and are shocked that lack of weight on the rear wheels results in them getting dragged around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r46BKOCVKGA

Also, lack of lockers, lack of understanding of dynamic vs. static coefficient of friction... (at least in the one Sagebrush posted.)

edit: pooched the quoting.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Darchangel posted:

That is a *quite* rowdy 305, there.

Also, lack of lockers, lack of understanding of dynamic vs. static coefficient of friction... (at least in the one Sagebrush posted.)

edit: pooched the quoting.

We're still not entirely sure just what the PO did to it, because jesus it is mean. We know it has an aggressive cam, and the carb is a 750 double pumper which is currently leaking and seems to be way too much for the engine, but otherwise? Total mystery. Best guess is the dude who built it might have made it a really high comp stroker because none of us have ever heard a 305 sound quite like that :v:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

T1g4h posted:

We're still not entirely sure just what the PO did to it, because jesus it is mean. We know it has an aggressive cam, and the carb is a 750 double pumper which is currently leaking and seems to be way too much for the engine, but otherwise? Total mystery. Best guess is the dude who built it might have made it a really high comp stroker because none of us have ever heard a 305 sound quite like that :v:

It doesn't take too much cam to make a 305 cackle like that. The smaller displacement and (generally) crap heads makes a mild 350 cam act wild.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

wallaka posted:

It doesn't take too much cam to make a 305 cackle like that. The smaller displacement and (generally) crap heads makes a mild 350 cam act wild.

This thing is definitely not built on the cheap. We did some looking, the heads are (we're fairly certain) $1200 circle track heads. It's got dirt track tires on the back right now, and the dude used to build and race modifieds, so we're not 100% but still pretty positive that the motor is a fairly stout little setup. PO definitely knew what he was doing in regards to building it, everything is real nicely welded and built super solid. Friend got the steering rack installed and got everything tightened up and took it for a quick test drive around the yard tonight, and holy poo poo it's glorious. Still needs a new carb, got some impressive backfires out of the 750 that it has on it right now, but jesus, even without a proper tune it was bitchin :fap:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Saw a few fun cars a few weekends ago:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

T1g4h posted:

This thing is definitely not built on the cheap. We did some looking, the heads are (we're fairly certain) $1200 circle track heads. It's got dirt track tires on the back right now, and the dude used to build and race modifieds, so we're not 100% but still pretty positive that the motor is a fairly stout little setup. PO definitely knew what he was doing in regards to building it, everything is real nicely welded and built super solid. Friend got the steering rack installed and got everything tightened up and took it for a quick test drive around the yard tonight, and holy poo poo it's glorious. Still needs a new carb, got some impressive backfires out of the 750 that it has on it right now, but jesus, even without a proper tune it was bitchin :fap:

You'd have probably have to build a 305 beyond normal physics to move 750CFM through it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

ratbert90 posted:

Saw a few fun cars a few weekends ago

In total AI mode a really want a 1971 challenger now done in Redline Red like my 2016 one :3:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

T1g4h posted:

Well, I'm jealous!

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Watching Goodwood, Martini livery is the best livery

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Watching Goodwood too. How the hell do you drive a Lotus 56? (reminder: turbine, direct drive awd, 140 mph at idle, no engine braking) I can't even start to imagine

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

hackbunny posted:

Watching Goodwood too. How the hell do you drive a Lotus 56? (reminder: turbine, direct drive awd, 140 mph at idle, no engine braking) I can't even start to imagine

Very carefully.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I can't verify what method they used specifically but there are two ways to drive wheels with a jet engine. One is with a gear reduction transmission and a clutch, the other is with a power turbine which I think is likely the way they went.

With a power turbine you don't connect the jet engines shaft to the wheels, but rather use the jet engines exhaust gasses to power a turbine that's connected directly to the wheels so the engine speed can operate independently of the wheel speed. There are two ways to modulate the throttle. One way is to control fuel control like a normal engine, introducing more fuel for higher output etc. The second method is to run full throttle all the time and bleed off the excess air to the power turbine like a gigantic wastegate. It allows for quick throttle response but dear lord it chugs fuel.

The Howmet TX uses the second method. I imagine the Lotus uses the first.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

um excuse me posted:

I can't verify what method they used specifically but there are two ways to drive wheels with a jet engine. One is with a gear reduction transmission and a clutch, the other is with a power turbine which I think is likely the way they went.

The Goodwood driver described it as "like a helicopter" so I believe it's the former. What I'm kinda terrified by is that I've read elsewhere that it doesn't even have a clutch!

um excuse me posted:

With a power turbine you don't connect the jet engines shaft to the wheels, but rather use the jet engines exhaust gasses to power a turbine that's connected directly to the wheels so the engine speed can operate independently of the wheel speed. There are two ways to modulate the throttle. One way is to control fuel control like a normal engine, introducing more fuel for higher output etc. The second method is to run full throttle all the time and bleed off the excess air to the power turbine like a gigantic wastegate. It allows for quick throttle response but dear lord it chugs fuel.

I had never heard of this system but it sounds cool

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

DJ Commie posted:

You'd have probably have to build a 305 beyond normal physics to move 750CFM through it.

No doubt. Friend is not keeping the 750, he's already planning on swapping it for an Edelbrock 600. The 750 is way, way too much carb for that little motor and it shows.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

hackbunny posted:

Well, first, you modify the cockpit to contain your giant balls...

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Memento posted:

Lotus Esprit, one of the later ones. Looks like it's set up for rallycross?

cool, thanks!

there's only 2 that I'm aware of in my city, both red.

not too familiar with brit cars tbh because the only ones ppl care about around here are $5000 jaguars

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

T1g4h posted:

No doubt. Friend is not keeping the 750, he's already planning on swapping it for an Edelbrock 600. The 750 is way, way too much carb for that little motor and it shows.

With a radical cam like that he might find the edelbrock not very ideal. Maybe it will be fine, but since they use that flappy air valve for the secondaries you can't really adjust the rate at which the secondaries come open. Might want to consider a double pumper Holley. Unless the edelbrock is an AVS? I've never played with one of those.

My sample size for that is 1, though, so it might be neither here nor there. I had an edel 1405 on a mild 327, and it drove perfect. But when I put the same carb on a cammed 350, it just didn't want to behave. Huge hesitation when I wanted the secondaries to open, because the air valve flap thing was opening too slowly or too quickly (I forget). It would do this even at lower RPM, so I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the venturi or throat sizes, and yes I tried changing the jetting all up to try to fix it. Ended up just having to switch it with a carb more suited to a more aggressive cam (and with more adjustability)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hackbunny posted:

Regarding the earlier but similar STP-Paxton Turbocar:

quote:

The engine drove a Ferguson 4-wheel drive system, which transmitted the power to the wheels. A torque converter eliminated the need for a clutch pedal and gearshift. The engine idled at 54% of full throttle, which meant that the driver didn't even have to press the accelerator pedal to pull away; all he had to do was ease his foot off the brake pedal. A movable panel was mounted behind the cockpit, which acted as an airbrake. The suspension's coil springs were located inside the backbone and the suspension A-frames had airfoil cross-sections. The car weighed 1,750 pounds, a few hundred pounds more than the Indy minimum weight of 1,350 pounds.[4]

USAC had limited the engine intake area to 23.999 square inches to limit the turbine's power output, but the engine still produced 550 hp. However, drivers reported that it had a three-second throttle lag. 

3 seconds is a little longer than it would take for electronic throttle signals to be transmitted to, and relayed back from, the goddamn moon on their way from pedal to engine.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 1, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

Regarding the earlier but similar STP-Paxton Turbocar:

3 seconds is a little longer than it would take for electronic throttle signals to be transmitted to, and relayed back from, the goddamn moon on their way from pedal to engine.

But that's normal for a turbine engine.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Raluek posted:

With a radical cam like that he might find the edelbrock not very ideal. Maybe it will be fine, but since they use that flappy air valve for the secondaries you can't really adjust the rate at which the secondaries come open. Might want to consider a double pumper Holley. Unless the edelbrock is an AVS? I've never played with one of those.

My sample size for that is 1, though, so it might be neither here nor there. I had an edel 1405 on a mild 327, and it drove perfect. But when I put the same carb on a cammed 350, it just didn't want to behave. Huge hesitation when I wanted the secondaries to open, because the air valve flap thing was opening too slowly or too quickly (I forget). It would do this even at lower RPM, so I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the venturi or throat sizes, and yes I tried changing the jetting all up to try to fix it. Ended up just having to switch it with a carb more suited to a more aggressive cam (and with more adjustability)

It has a double pumper Holley 750 on it right now, and my friend absolutely swears by Edelbrocks, so he's pretty much set on swapping one on there. I'll have to ask him for more details on what exactly he's wanting to swap it for, so far all I know is he wants a 600 Edelbrock. Carbs are loving mystery magic to me so I've got no earthly idea what the proper size would be :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah. Early aircraft turbines had crazy spool-up times, like up to 30 seconds to go from idle to full power, and if you advanced the throttle any faster they'd either flame out or catch fire.

It led to some interesting techniques. For instance, when carrier-borne fighters land, they have to be ready to immediately take off again in case they miss the arresting wire or it breaks. Normally landings are done at near-idle power, and in a modern jet a missed wire just means you slam the throttles forward. But there's not enough time to get the engines in an early jet back up to speed before it goes off the end of the carrier into the ocean. So early carrier jets had giant airbrakes and would come in with brakes out, flaps lowered all the way, gear dragging, and the engine still at full takeoff power. :jeb:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Atomic batteries to power!

Turbines to speed!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

T1g4h posted:

It has a double pumper Holley 750 on it right now, and my friend absolutely swears by Edelbrocks, so he's pretty much set on swapping one on there. I'll have to ask him for more details on what exactly he's wanting to swap it for, so far all I know is he wants a 600 Edelbrock. Carbs are loving mystery magic to me so I've got no earthly idea what the proper size would be :v:

The problem wouldn't be the double pumper-ness of the carb you have, it's that 750cfm is way too big for a 305, so it's not getting a good signal from the smaller amount of air it moves. You'd really have to dicker with it to get it to act right on a small motor like that, something like a 550 or 600 would be about right. But, if he's got lots of tuning experience with edelbrocks, he probably has a good idea how to make one behave on whatever kind of engine (and which one to select). Like I said, I only have experience with the one carb on like 3 motors, so it's a really small sample size compared to someone who has real experience :shobon:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Some stuff I've seen locally recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Some stuff I've seen locally recently.

And the award for cutest fire engine ever goes to ... that guy :3:

And I mean that in the technical sense. "Firefighting apparatus" is the catch-all term for "vehicles firemen ride in," but "engine" has pumps and a little tank, "truck" is a rolling toolbox, "ladder" should be obvious, "rescue" is a truck with better/more specialized tools.

Edit: Speaking of which, I have a few photos of fire apparati:

Ladder 1

Engine 7, taking a break. The buckets they're sitting on are the foam additive, hence the unit nickname. Apparently they ran out and got more brought in.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 1, 2017