Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't a mech just a walking tank

in the mechwarrior games at least, pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Depends.

There's a line between tank and mech where something can be both or they can be one or the other.

Like, iirc the front mission wanzers are just walking tanks, that's why they're called wanzers in the first place, but I wouldn't call stuff like the zone of the enders mechs "walking tanks"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

let's ask the expert

Granin: Sokolov! It's him you're looking for, isn't it? Because of him, I have been stripped of my authority. My research has come to nothing. Look! (pulls out some schematics and hands them to Snake) It is a revolutionary mobile nuclear missile system, a bipedal tank.

Snake: A bipedal tank?

Granin: Yes, a walking tank - a robot! Are you familiar with the theory of the missing link between apes and humans? Well, this technology will be the missing link between infantry and artillery. A kind of metal gear, if you well. And this magnificent metal gear will make a revolutionary step forward in weapons development.

Snake: Metal Gear...

Granin: But I won't be used so easily. No, no crying myself to sleep. For you see, I'm going to send these documents to my friend in the United States. (we see a picture of this person who looks a lot like Otacon from MGS1)

Snake: What!?

Granin: These bastards will live to regret this. And when they themselves become the targets of my creation, they will know my true greatness. Yes! Sokolov's pathetic Shagohod pales in comparison to my work! What are you going to do with a rocket engine on a tank?

Snake: About Sokolov...

Granin: A tank does not need a rocket! It needs something else. Look at these (motions to his legs).

Snake: Nice shoes.

Granin: No. Legs!! Legs that allow it to go anywhere!! Just as when humans learned to walk upright! THAT is the real evolution in weaponry! Don't you agree?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Walking panzer

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f77gw2Pp3aY

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The whole point of a tank is that it's a team effort. Mechs are usually all about an individual. So while superficially a mech may look like a walking tank - it's a different concept.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

what about when the mech is part of the tank team like a Titan

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

also what about Jaegers

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Palpek posted:

The whole point of a tank is that it's a team effort. Mechs are usually all about an individual. So while superficially a mech may look like a walking tank - it's a different concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZZv5Z2Iz_s

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Palpek posted:

Serious answer though: Scorched Earth.
and it's not. even. close.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Does anyone have the thread do the Elder Scrolls card game bookmarked?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

and it's not. even. close.
always bet on MIRV

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Palpek posted:

Is Voltron not a mech?! What about the Megazord

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nier Automata apparently doubled its price in China and has gotten enough negative reviews to drop its grade to 'mostly positive', this happened a while ago but now there's an article about it

http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-review-bombing-is-working-and-chinese-players-are-a-powerful-new-voice/

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

also what about Jaegers

...When you're in a Jaeger, suddenly you can fight the hurricane...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nier Automata apparently doubled its price in China and has gotten enough negative reviews to drop its grade to 'mostly positive', this happened a while ago but now there's an article about it

http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-review-bombing-is-working-and-chinese-players-are-a-powerful-new-voice/

The US has the most Steam users and Steam bandwidth, that makes sense. China is third in users but second in bandwidth, and Russia is second in users but third in bandwidth?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is Voltron not a mech?! What about the Megazord
They're obviously walking tanks.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Everything about this is the worst

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

omg chael crash posted:

Does anyone have the thread do the Elder Scrolls card game bookmarked?

More pertinent: does anyone have the Elder Scrolls card game???

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

hi everyone here's a cat in a tank what's your favorite tank game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2rVnRwW0h8

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Also this, which I have never played but I feel qualifies on the name alone

but this is an absolute truth:

Palpek posted:

Serious answer though: Scorched Earth.

always bet on Funky Bomb

ftfy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i played world of tanks up to tier 6/7. vk3601p or h or something. stug life

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

planet explorers seems like it was pretty bad but their new game looks kind of cute, the demo is apparently an alpha with 4-5 hrs of content so i'll try it out next week

http://store.steampowered.com/app/666140/My_Time_At_Portia/

i am easily hooked by rune factory/atelier type games

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I tried the Trails of game up on PS Now and bounced right off. Is there a particularly good place to start with that series?

I'm not sure how long you played before you bounced off, but I also just tried the game out this week. The very beginning of the game is like a bad demo, and unfortunately the real game doesn't start until after you beat the first introductory dungeon. Once I got through the third opening credits sequence and the real game started, I realized the slow burn ended up making me care a lot more about what started out as 20+ random characters that I had no attachment to at the start.

Try and push through the old schoolhouse bit if you didn't get that far and see if it helps?

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

gently caress can i change my answer

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

FirstAidKite posted:

I like that stuff like this exists. I'm not super well versed in nautical terminology, but I think I know enough to get by.

I've just always wanted to read the aubrey-maturin books. I like sea stuff from that time period.

Oh, they're a fantastic read. I came across that compendium after having to google some of the most outdated terms in the first few books; I can mostly get by relying on context, but since English is not my first language the older English nautical terms are a bit out of my reach. That, compounded with O'Brien's penchant for jumping locations/time from one paragraph to the next make them a somewhat slow read for me, so I'm only up to book... I think 3? in the series, but I fully plan on reading them all eventually.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

The PS4 version of the game has a Chinese localization. It's possible that Sony paid/helped with localization in Asian territories which prevents it from being used for the PC version.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
GTA: Vice City's tanks ruled because you could turn the turret backwards and hold down the fire button and the recoil would propel it forward as you drove. And the effect was cumulative so as long as you didn't crash you could wind up zipping across the map at light speed.

You could even combine it with the flying cars code!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
What about Battletanx on the N64 where you would play Capture the Flag but instead of a flag it was a woman

or Shellshock, a PC game that I actually don't remember much right now except it was balls hard

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember a friend having the Saturn version of ShellShock which I definitely played but literally nothing else about it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm playing various call of dutys because gently caress it I like fpses

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

Well friend, let me recommend a fun time of a game called 'Wolfenstein The New Order' to you

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oddium posted:

let's ask the expert

Granin: Sokolov! It's him you're looking for, isn't it? Because of him, I have been stripped of my authority. My research has come to nothing. Look! (pulls out some schematics and hands them to Snake) It is a revolutionary mobile nuclear missile system, a bipedal tank.

Snake: A bipedal tank?

Granin: Yes, a walking tank - a robot! Are you familiar with the theory of the missing link between apes and humans? Well, this technology will be the missing link between infantry and artillery. A kind of metal gear, if you well. And this magnificent metal gear will make a revolutionary step forward in weapons development.

Snake: Metal Gear...

Granin: But I won't be used so easily. No, no crying myself to sleep. For you see, I'm going to send these documents to my friend in the United States. (we see a picture of this person who looks a lot like Otacon from MGS1)

Snake: What!?

Granin: These bastards will live to regret this. And when they themselves become the targets of my creation, they will know my true greatness. Yes! Sokolov's pathetic Shagohod pales in comparison to my work! What are you going to do with a rocket engine on a tank?

Snake: About Sokolov...

Granin: A tank does not need a rocket! It needs something else. Look at these (motions to his legs).

Snake: Nice shoes.

Granin: No. Legs!! Legs that allow it to go anywhere!! Just as when humans learned to walk upright! THAT is the real evolution in weaponry! Don't you agree?

How come Peace Walker had four legs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Advanced Warfare kicked rear end but I dont really like COD single player. BLOPSIII Co-Op was fun though and that story is pretty wild.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

postmodifier posted:

I'm not sure how long you played before you bounced off, but I also just tried the game out this week. The very beginning of the game is like a bad demo, and unfortunately the real game doesn't start until after you beat the first introductory dungeon. Once I got through the third opening credits sequence and the real game started, I realized the slow burn ended up making me care a lot more about what started out as 20+ random characters that I had no attachment to at the start.

Try and push through the old schoolhouse bit if you didn't get that far and see if it helps?

So it's just a super weak opening? I was wondering why so many games posters were raving over the series. I admit that I gave it about twenty minutes of game time to grab me and it didn't, but with so many goons praising the series I want to give it another shot.

Nate RFB posted:

The first one, Trails in the Sky. Sky is a trilogy consisting of that game, SC, and the 3rd, and it's really not possible to skip any of them because it's a connected/episodically-told story and the story/cast owns a lot. The Sky games are slightly dated but the gameplay is still very solid, especially if you play on Steam with cheatengine to speed it up. Worth noting that you literally cannot play the 3rd on a Vita/PSP because Xseed didn't bother to release it there (because why would they in 2017). As an obligatory heads up, the first Sky game is notoriously a slow burn that spends a lot of time on world building, but it's definitely worth it in the end.

Alternatively the Cold Steel games on PS Vita/PS3, which are also excellent and though they take place in the same world/timeline they are self-contained enough that starting there would not leave you lost. I'd still start with the Sky games, though.

E: I have no idea what Trails game was on PS Now that you bounced off of, though I'm assuming it was Cold Steel 1.

So play in order if possible, check! I actually don't have a vita or psp. May have to just catch up via LP.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

GTA: Vice City's tanks ruled because you could turn the turret backwards and hold down the fire button and the recoil would propel it forward as you drove. And the effect was cumulative so as long as you didn't crash you could wind up zipping across the map at light speed.

You could even combine it with the flying cars code!

vice city had a tiny map though

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's a plus.

During the brief time I played GTAV, one of the things I had a lot of trouble doing was buying properties. I would check on the map, and see that I could buy a property. Then I would drive there, and by time I got there, it was night time, and apparently I could only buy the property during the day?

In VIce City I could drive anywhere in the city in like 2 minutes.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I would probably dig an update on Vice City

80's aesthetic is big right now in various ways so maybe it would work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

So it's just a super weak opening? I was wondering why so many games posters were raving over the series. I admit that I gave it about twenty minutes of game time to grab me and it didn't, but with so many goons praising the series I want to give it another shot.

So play in order if possible, check! I actually don't have a vita or psp. May have to just catch up via LP.

Trails in the sky will run on any pc made in the last 15 years

But that game also starts slow. If you need an rpg to grab you by the nuts and lay everything out in 20 minutes you're not going to get it from any of these

• Locked thread