Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/880430669066842112

Well, it only took two decades, multiple wars he supported, and the election of a game show host with a cheese brain, but Ezra figured out that no amount of whitepapers can make "more money for us, gently caress you" into a respectable politics.

Oh, wait, sorry, no, he had Avik Roy on his podcast this week to talk about ways to improve the Senate bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
god drat he is such a dweeb

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
someone needs to give him a swirlie

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wait why would the GOP accept this unless it's to try to kill whatever bill it's attached to

It's attached to the defense appropriations bill, which they definitely don't want to kill. Conservatives in the House, particularly the Freedom Caucus, have long been wanting to kill the AUMF because they want to spend a bunch of money on the military, but don't want the President to use it to bomb whatever country he wants. They'd prefer it just be used for football flyovers and parades. This came within a couple dozen votes of passing last year, and it looks like they have the votes now that none of them can trust Trump not to get mad on twitter one morning and commit the army to an invasion of Italy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

It's attached to the defense appropriations bill, which they definitely don't want to kill. Conservatives in the House, particularly the Freedom Caucus, have long been wanting to kill the AUMF because they want to spend a bunch of money on the military, but don't want the President to use it to bomb whatever country he wants. They'd prefer it just be used for football flyovers and parades. This came within a couple dozen votes of passing last year, and it looks like they have the votes now that none of them can trust Trump not to get mad on twitter one morning and commit the army to an invasion of Italy.

tbf an american invasion of italy could only improve it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tbf an american invasion of italy could only improve it

It worked last time

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Joementum posted:

https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/880430669066842112

Well, it only took two decades, multiple wars he supported, and the election of a game show host with a cheese brain, but Ezra figured out that no amount of whitepapers can make "more money for us, gently caress you" into a respectable politics.

Oh, wait, sorry, no, he had Avik Roy on his podcast this week to talk about ways to improve the Senate bill.

well he still wants massive tax cuts to the wealthy on the backs of the poor, just not in a way that would make conservatives look bad

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Condiv posted:

tbh, this is why i laugh my rear end off when people point to bodycam laws as a racial justice measure and not as a corporate handout. even before we had bodycams we had black people being shot with full video, and people still saying "well i dunno the police really feel bad about it not guilty!"

fixing the racial justice problem with the police is gonna require major work that buying tasers or bodycams isn't really gonna do anything towards. like tearing apart precincts infested with kkk and white nationalists

I don't think the conclusion here is necessarily "bodycams bad" or even necessarily "bodycams useless". They're not a quick fix, and they aren't particularly useful if there's no will to actually tackle the underlying problems within our police force (and there sure doesn't seem to be). But I think having a good source of hard data is going to be important if/when that will materializes.

We certainly haven't solved the problem with cameras, but they are going to be part of the (one hopes) eventual solution.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I mean, or we could just write off the whole idea of enforcing laws as a bad move.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

just ban and confiscate handguns and disarm officers on the beat

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dems have expanded executive power as much as GOP, limiting it is a bipartisan effort.

I think a winning strategy for a future Dem presidential candidate might be: "Hey, we've done goofed by making this office ridiculously powerful, I promise to roll back some powers and improve our democracy."

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Wow this is getting me all pumped up to break windows and poo poo

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Bodycams significantly reduce complaints of police abuse, they clearly work

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I need to stop reading that Twitter thread, my head is hurting seeing the word "dudebro" so many times in a row

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Terror Sweat posted:

Bodycams significantly reduce complaints of police abuse, they clearly work

do you have a link to good research on this? i'd like to read it if so

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the number 1 best thing we could do to turn police officers back into public servants from a white supremacist power cult would be to end the war on drugs

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Al! posted:

the number 1 best thing we could do to turn police officers back into public servants from a white supremacist power cult would be to end the war on drugs

don't forget outlawing private prisons

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ban all guns

and sharp objects

you wanna kill someone you better have a brick handy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

loquacius posted:

don't forget outlawing private prisons

that's #2 and #3 is take away their guns

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Iron Twinkie posted:

The problem isn't if an individual cop is racist but that our police departments are trained, armed, and instructed to perpetuate for-profit, systematically racist institutions. The private prisons are contractually guaranteed a minimum number of full beds both as a source of revenue and slave labor. The police department and city council needs more money in it's coffers from fines and fees because god forbid that be funded through taxes. So they are sent out to get money and smash in heads. They target black communities because they are our suppressed, dehumanized, and exploited underclass that Capitalism requires to function. Harassing, arresting, robbing, and killing black people isn't a side effect of policing. It's their primary function.

it goes beyond that. in the US, the concept of having an actual "police department" dates back to the mid-19th century, and that's when the first official police departments were formed in the US

think about what else was happening in the US from 1850-1870 or so, and it shouldn't be any surprise that many Southern police departments directly evolved from the "slave patrols" that existed prior to the Civil War, and the main function of the newly-founded police departments was to enforce Jim Crow. meanwhile, the police departments being formed in Northern cities around the same time were created mainly to rein in labor unrest. fundamentally, the creation of professional police forces wasn't actually about dealing with crime, it was dealing with the lower classes who were perceived to be crime-prone, and protecting the interests of local elite politicians and businessmen from people disgruntled about increasing inequality

racism is baked into police culture at a very deep level, and police procedures and training are often still designed to reinforce it

this is a good series of articles that talks more about that. some samples:

quote:

The only effective political strategy available to exploited workers was what economic elites referred to as "rioting," which was actually a primitive form of what would become union strikes against employers (Silver 1967). The modern police force not only provided an organized, centralized body of men (and they were all male) legally authorized to use force to maintain order, it also provided the illusion that this order was being maintained under the rule of law, not at the whim of those with economic power.

Defining social control as crime control was accomplished by raising the specter of the "dangerous classes." The suggestion was that public drunkenness, crime, hooliganism, political protests and worker "riots" were the products of a biologically inferior, morally intemperate, unskilled and uneducated underclass. The consumption of alcohol was widely seen as the major cause of crime and public disorder. The irony, of course, is that public drunkenness didn't exist until mercantile and commercial interests created venues for and encouraged the commercial sale of alcohol in public places. This underclass was easily identifiable because it consisted primarily of the poor, foreign immigrants and free blacks (Lundman 1980: 29). This isolation of the "dangerous classes" as the embodiment of the crime problem created a focus in crime control that persists to today, the idea that policing should be directed toward "bad" individuals, rather than social and economic conditions that are criminogenic in their social outcomes.

In addition, the creation of the modern police force in the United States also immutably altered the definition of the police function. Policing had always been a reactive enterprise, occurring only in response to a specific criminal act. Centralized and bureaucratic police departments, focusing on the alleged crime-producing qualities of the "dangerous classes" began to emphasize preventative crime control. The presence of police, authorized to use force, could stop crime before it started by subjecting everyone to surveillance and observation. The concept of the police patrol as a preventative control mechanism routinized the insertion of police into the normal daily events of everyone's life, a previously unknown and highly feared concept in both England and the United States (Parks 1976).

quote:

State police agencies emerged for many of the same reasons. The Pennsylvania State Police were modeled after the Phillipine Constabulary, the occupation force placed in the Philipine Islands following the Spanish-American War. This all-white, all-"native," paramilitary force was created specifically to break strikes in the coal fields of Pennsylvania and to control local towns composed predominantly of Catholic, Irish, German and Eastern European immigrants. They were housed in barracks outside the towns so that they would not mingle with or develop friendships with local residents. In addition to strike-breaking they frequently engaged in anti-immigrant and anti-Catholic violence, such as attacking community social events on horseback, under the pretense of enforcing public order laws. Similarly, the Texas Rangers were originally created as a quasi-official group of vigilantes and guerillas used to suppress Mexican communities and to drive the Commanche off their lands.

quote:

From the beginning American policing has been intimately tied not to the problem of crime, but to exigencies and demands of the American political-economy. From the anti-immigrant bashing of early police forces, to the strike breaking of the later 1800s, to the massive corruption of the early 20th century, through professionalism, Taylorization and now attempts at amelioration through community policing, the role of the police in the United States has been defined by economics and politics, not crime or crime control. As we look to the 21st century, it now appears likely that a new emphasis on science and technology, particularly related to citizen surveillance; a new wave of militarization reflected in the spread of SWAT teams and other paramilitary squads; and a new emphasis on community pacification through community policing, are all destined to replay the failures of history as the policies of the future.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/880456602330988545

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

idgi the state is bad there can't be "public servants" full anarchism now imo

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

thats right David

its a big fucken deal

new deal? real deal?

step over for big fucken deal Nina Turner

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gotta say Jeff Weaver the owner of the beltways largest comic bookstore really made a splash in politics considering what he was doing up until then. A true poligoon

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i'm very happy about nina turner and her being the leader of our revolution

:gethill:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

deadgoon posted:

idgi the state is bad there can't be "public servants" full anarchism now imo

well i would prefer it if they shot themselves all in the head first but im an incramentalist so i think they should only be immediately disarmed

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

maybe we need :ninaget:?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i think we need to take baby steps like beheading all the rich people before smashing the state, it gets me a lot of criticism in anarchist circles

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Venom Snake posted:

Gotta say Jeff Weaver the owner of the beltways largest comic bookstore really made a splash in politics considering what he was doing up until then. A true poligoon

Why was he in charge of Bernie's campaign and post campaign efforts, again?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

fits my needs posted:

Because he's a longtime friend of Bernie.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
i've always pictured jeff weaver as the christian slater character from True Romance, a bumbling comic store dork, except instead of hiring him a call girl his kindly benefactor made him his long shot campaign manager

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

UHD posted:

ban all guns

and sharp objects

you wanna kill someone you better have a brick handy

:rip: newspaper spiderman

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I always pictured jeff weaver as Weaver, the time-altering bug hero from Dota 2

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
why don't the cops distribute weed to pacify the community

this plan is as realistic as disarming them-

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Condiv posted:

but what's the point of bodycams on the police if the footage is all kept hidden? we already have 500 officers to lie about what happened in an encounter, is another 500 lying about the contents of video footage really helping anything at all?

the law also overrides a state supreme court ruling holding that dashcam footage is required to be made public.

From my incomplete understanding of this that means that the footage isn't automatically made public but doesn't prevent it from be dredged up at all
Yeah I know they're going to be assholes about trying to keep it hidden.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

fits my needs posted:

because he was high up if not the manager of bernie's campaign for vermont offices and hillary either took or locked out all other campaign managers

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

deadgoon posted:

why don't the cops distribute weed to pacify the community

this plan is as realistic as disarming them-

I'm unironically in

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

From my incomplete understanding of this that means that the footage isn't automatically made public but doesn't prevent it from be dredged up at all
Yeah I know they're going to be assholes about trying to keep it hidden.

the article literally says the police do not have to make the recordings available to those who ask under this bill. The footage wasn't being made automatically available before, and the state supreme court just cleared people being able to request and force the police to hand over dashcam footage. this bill reverses that completely

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

it means we'll need firefights before this ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

that nra video is going to be shown in the prologue of documentaries about the Second American Civil War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mEsXz-Bpog

• Locked thread