Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Cythereal posted:

One thing that could really shake up LL is the mention that the Admiral is an elected position, and elections are every seven years. Instant plot hook: it's election season in Limsa Lominsa, and Merlwyb's chief rival is a Serpent Reaver or someone who wants to go back to the good old days of pillaging and burning everyone.

I forget the specifics and can't look because I'm at work, but the lore book explains how she came to power. I recall that it is significantly cooler than a boring-rear end election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
She has a bad rear end cutscene in 1.0 of her doing sweet flips while blowing up some garlean machines with giant bullets from her gun's and I want to marry her.

E: found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvXSHLPB1aM

Jinh fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 29, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alakaiser posted:

I forget the specifics and can't look because I'm at work, but the lore book explains how she came to power. I recall that it is significantly cooler than a boring-rear end election.

Like any Limsa Lominsa election in the current timeline wouldn't end in a big battle in the Admiral's office.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

nuru posted:

SCH needs some tweaks, but these reddit meltdown posts over it are something else entirely.

I still love the job. The fairy embrace being weaker just leads me murdering her more often when poo poo hits the fan and the new aetherflow talent works well in that situation too. I had a moment on Sus ex when three people ate their dice on the double pool into ukechi and it was basically 7 lustrates+indom all in succession and nobody died. None of the other healers can pull that off without pre-planning.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eopia posted:

I don't think that was any of our crystals? I didn't see us pull one out or anything, so I just took it as a sign of our growing ability over the echo.

We didn't block it with our crystal specifically, but our crystal is the source of our blessing of light and that was the type of shield we threw up. They didn't mention our crystal at all in the SB story, but if you remember the whole point of the HW story was recharging our crystal to regain our blessing of light.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I am shocked, SHOCKED, that Reddit would have a meltdown about a video game class!

Somehow I'm 3 levels above the HW main story quests, which is nice because I don't have to do any sidequests until probably late 50s.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

What ilvl is Omega gear expected to be? I'm assuming something around 320, I can't imagine it'd be less than EX primals but I don't know how this has gone in the past

If they follow the same pattern as they did in Heavensward, it''ll be :

320 for Omega normal
330 for the new capped tomestone gear, upgradeable to 340 in a later patch
340 for Omega savage

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Merlwyb had great voice work (pre HW), a fairly unique "pirate by way of Hugo Boss" aesthetic, and absolutely 0 patience for bullshit, so it's pretty obvious why she became a fan favorite early on even though she has been underutilized for most of the game's lifetime.

Raubahn has come a long way since the level 15 Echo flashback (Merlwyb and Kan-E's stem directions vs Raubahn's RAW. ACTING. TALENT!) but it's time for him to take a breather and let another badass leader get some face time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Going back to the WoW discussion a few pages back. At least this game is upfront about how important your character is to the plot, you know your role and you (and your ever changing dungeon queue rando friends) are good at it.

Like with WoW i don't even know where your character is suppose to fall in power in terms of Warcraft. I've not played Legion yet so i don't know how stupidly OP your character is suppose to be but up until at least Lich King you were just some random adventurer right? Stronger than a normal person but not nearly as cool and Thrall and friends? Plus lets not forget that every time a new expansion comes out the Alliance and the Horde have to come together to beat the bad guy anyway so what is even the drat point of fighting each other anymore. Or what about a dungeon/raid that lets you party up with people of any faction?

As for how powerful you are, one of the first things Enhancement shamans do in Legion is take Doomhammer from Thrall and use their mastery over the elements to make a copy of it made entirely of Lava while Thrall looks on very confused. The player characters in Legion are ostensibly the most powerful member of their class in the world, with ludicrously powerful weapons to match, and are recognized publically as such other than by the two goblins that swindle you with "Magical Potions that are totally not goblin urine." that were mentioned earlier, or people who have been out of the loop so long they have no reason to even recognize you.

I can only think of one "Bear Asses" Quest in the main legion storyline that really springs to mind and they justify it fairly well.

As for the faction divide, yeah I'm with you there. As it stands right now there's basically The Alliance, The Horde, and Whichever Horde Faction Leader Is Evil This Week.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 29, 2017

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thundarr posted:

Merlwyb had great voice work (pre HW), a fairly unique "pirate by way of Hugo Boss" aesthetic, and absolutely 0 patience for bullshit, so it's pretty obvious why she became a fan favorite early on even though she has been underutilized for most of the game's lifetime.

Raubahn has come a long way since the level 15 Echo flashback (Merlwyb and Kan-E's stem directions vs Raubahn's RAW. ACTING. TALENT!) but it's time for him to take a breather and let another badass leader get some face time.

He needs a break so he and the Sultana can spend some quality time together again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

As for how powerful you are, one of the first things Enhancement shamans do in Legion is take Doomhammer from Thrall and use their mastery over the elements to make a copy of it made entirely of Lava. The player characters in Legion are ostensibly the most powerful member of their class in the world, with ludicrously powerful weapons to match, and are recognized publically as such other than by the two goblins that swindle you with "Magical Potions that are totally not goblin urine." that were mentioned earlier, or people who have been out of the loop so long they have no reason to even recognize you.

This has the side effect of feeling kinda weird if you're a non-pandaren monk, incidentally. Like 90% of the named monk NPCs you meet are pandaren, and if your monk isn't one, it's kind of awkward to suddenly be the leader of an entire organization/way-of-life that you'd have to be pretty new to, at least going by the canonical timeline.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Harrow posted:

This has the side effect of feeling kinda weird if you're a non-pandaren monk, incidentally. Like 90% of the named monk NPCs you meet are pandaren, and if your monk isn't one, it's kind of awkward to suddenly be the leader of an entire organization/way-of-life that you'd have to be pretty new to, at least going by the canonical timeline.

Or if you're a Horde Paladin, leading the very Alliance-aligned Paladins, and possibly wielding the Ashbringer, one of the Alliance's greatest hero's weapons. It's not a perfect system but I think it does its job well enough.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Eh, at the Peak of Serenity training camp for monks pre-Legion a number of the masters you study under aren't pandaren - there's a dwarf, a gnome, a blood elf, and a tauren.

The old intro for draenei monks is funny, though. You're fresh from the crash and a wandering brewmaster who saw the crash and came over to help sees you trying to help out by just punching stuff because brawling is all you have to offer. He sees potential and offers to train you.

But WoW timelines are hosed up in general.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I just want the msq to put the camera on me so I can admire my glamours. It does a good job at that.

I wonder why the MSQ has so many emotes not accessible in the game though. I don't think you can even do the closed fist into your open palm emote and that's been around since AAR?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Harrow posted:

It helps that basically the entirety of the monk leadership was decapitated by the legion. It doesn't help that the monk class hall quest is "OH MY GOD THEY'RE MAKING EVIL BEER! STOP THEM!"

Cythereal posted:

Worgen Death Knights start in Wrath of the Lich King, travel forward in time to Cataclysm, then back in time like 7 years to the Opening of the Dark Portal, then forward again to Wrath of the Lich King, then finally back to Cataclysm again.

Yet they still claim that Worgen and Goblins can't be monks because of the timeline confusion.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Darn. I tried BLM again at 60 and now I want to level it instead of a tank. That's going to be a slooooowwwwwwww painful process.

Especially weird considering I already have RDM at 70.

A bit late but 60-70 isn't all that bad. I got RDM to 70 with MSQ and I have my BLM to 66 from a week or less of ldr, trials and sometimes 50/60. Fill your queue waits with SB 1-3 star hunts and you'll get some pretty solid xp each day.

Eopia posted:

Just like Geomancer, the 50-60 questline for Astrologian makes it clear that Time Mages are in fact, Astrologians.

Edit- Oh geez that was six pages back.

Dang, well I guess that's another reason I should level AST.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really like the lore approach they took with Red Magic in FFXIV. It also sort of explains why their spells have that "veritas" prefix, like, "Yeah, sure, Black Mage, you can cast a pretty big fire spell, but this is how you'd cast it if you used your own power instead of drawing on the aether around you. Lazy slobs, the lot of you."

Cythereal posted:

Eh, at the Peak of Serenity training camp for monks pre-Legion a number of the masters you study under aren't pandaren - there's a dwarf, a gnome, a blood elf, and a tauren.

Yeah, I think what it was for me is that I wasn't clear on whether you're the new leader of the Peak of Serenity monks (who I think were sort of a splinter group) or of all monks, which would include the more insular pandaren ones. If it's the first one, you're one of the masters, rather than the master, and then it's perfectly fine.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Cythereal posted:

This jesus christ

Nothing like hitting the new level cap and suddenly seeing random quests from dudes that are still technically dead to me. Looking at you, illidan, you emo gently caress.

One of the things I appreciate about FF XIV is its ability to keep events current for your character based on your place in the MSQ.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UHD posted:

This jesus christ

Nothing like hitting the new level cap and suddenly seeing random quests from dudes that are still technically dead to me. Looking at you, illidan, you emo gently caress.

One of the things I appreciate about FF XIV is its ability to keep events current for your character based on your place in the MSQ.

To be fair that does involve a lot of "we know this character can't ever actually be at risk because they're in an unrelated plot mission" stuff which is a little annoying but not a lot you can do. (And you can still break it sometimes like saving Shiva EX until post-HW.)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

UHD posted:

This jesus christ

This comes with its own downsides and people are going to complain about it, especially needing to do all the story before each expansion, but I personally do prefer XIV's approach even considering all that. Possibly because I'm selfish and it's a gently caress you got mine but whatever. At least they have skip potions now to address some of the complaints.

Personally I haven't done any DRG quests past level 35 and I'm curious to see how they play out post-Stormblood. I imagine it'll be totally timeline-breaking, when I finally get around to doing them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Darn. I tried BLM again at 60 and now I want to level it instead of a tank. That's going to be a slooooowwwwwwww painful process.

Especially weird considering I already have RDM at 70.

Oxyclean posted:

A bit late but 60-70 isn't all that bad. I got RDM to 70 with MSQ and I have my BLM to 66 from a week or less of ldr, trials and sometimes 50/60. Fill your queue waits with SB 1-3 star hunts and you'll get some pretty solid xp each day.

I can definitely sympathize with just wanting to level all the jobs. Once I get my first job to 70 I'll probably level a couple other jobs to 70 before I do much else, honestly. Unless raiding Omega normal mode is easier/less time-consuming than I expect right off the bat, I probably won't try to get into it until other people are pretty comfortable with the fights and can help me learn how to do it, since I almost certainly won't have the time to be there for the learning process. (Disclaimer: I've never actually done the 8-player raids in FFXIV so if the normal modes are easier than I'm giving them credit for and/or if raids don't tend to be like big multi-hour sessions then I'll probably jump in sooner than that. Savage is probably beyond my level of commitment, though, admittedly.)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

I can definitely sympathize with just wanting to level all the jobs. Once I get my first job to 70 I'll probably level a couple other jobs to 70 before I do much else, honestly. Unless raiding Omega normal mode is easier/less time-consuming than I expect right off the bat, I probably won't try to get into it until other people are pretty comfortable with the fights and can help me learn how to do it, since I almost certainly won't have the time to be there for the learning process. (Disclaimer: I've never actually done the 8-player raids in FFXIV so if the normal modes are easier than I'm giving them credit for and/or if raids don't tend to be like big multi-hour sessions then I'll probably jump in sooner than that. Savage is probably beyond my level of commitment, though, admittedly.)

If Alex normal was any indication the regular 8-man raids won't require much "learning" and tend to be easier than the Extreme Primals. There might be particular segments that are pub-killers, like the final trial, but that wasn't really the case in Alex iirc, aside from a painful few first days on Cruise Chaser.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Harrow posted:

I really like the lore approach they took with Red Magic in FFXIV. It also sort of explains why their spells have that "veritas" prefix, like, "Yeah, sure, Black Mage, you can cast a pretty big fire spell, but this is how you'd cast it if you used your own power instead of drawing on the aether around you. Lazy slobs, the lot of you."

Yeah - I really like that red magic is a distinct thing. (Which also explains some of your non white/black spells) Not sure if it's been like that in other FF games, but I always remember it being that red mages were just generalists who used white and black, rather then being it's own school / style of spell casting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah - I really like that red magic is a distinct thing. (Which also explains some of your non white/black spells) Not sure if it's been like that in other FF games, but I always remember it being that red mages were just generalists who used white and black, rather then being it's own school / style of spell casting.

The other time I can think of is in FFXII's IZJS version, where Red Mages have exclusive access to the "Arcane Magick" category of spells. There aren't that many of them, though: just Dark, Darkra, Darkga, and Ardor. (The base version of FFXII had a lot more "Arcane" spells but they got spread out to other spell schools in IZJS.) Otherwise, their unique thing has just been Dualcast, at least since FFV.

Incidentally, Ardor is going to make Red Mages the most powerful attack magick users in the PS4 Zodiac Age rerelease of FFXII. It's a little weaker than the Black Mage's Scathe, but it does fire damage, not non-elemental damage, and now that you can have two jobs, you can have a Red Mage wield the previously Black Mage-exclusive staff that gives you +50% fire damage. Add in Oil, a status effect that triples how much damage the target takes from fire-elemental attacks, and Ardor is going to do absolutely insane amounts of damage. Red Mages win again :v:

It's too bad "Ardor" already means something in FFXIV because it'd be a great spell for Red Mages to get at level 80 or something.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I would be genuinely surprised if any new plots in the 4.x line meaningfully take place in old Eorzea. It will almost all be in the Far East and Gyr Abania.

Same here. All the problems that have been brought up about the three major city-states haven't had any real resolution and stormblood just shows the alliance working together like nothing is wrong anymore. I have no faith that these plotlines will be revisited because it seems that the system is every expansion introduces a new area/nation whose problems you solve. I don't think they'll be any mention of how the three city states are in need of governmental reform, those problems have magically disappeared off-screen. I would be happy to be proved wrong on this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Suggestion to improve Red Mage AoE: Make Verholy and Verflare AoE with the usual damage penalty for targets after the first, and let them activate if you use three Enchanted Moulinets in a row. Wouldn't affect single target--it takes 90/90 mana for three Enchanted Moulinets, and 80/80 for the single-target melee combo, so this wouldn't lead to shortcutting to Verholy/Verflare--but would add like one more thing to do in your AoE rotation and I would really appreciate that.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Some of the early sidequests deal with minor conflicts between the grand companies. It doesn't really carry forward though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

macfam posted:

Same here. All the problems that have been brought up about the three major city-states haven't had any real resolution and stormblood just shows the alliance working together like nothing is wrong anymore. I have no faith that these plotlines will be revisited because it seems that the system is every expansion introduces a new area/nation whose problems you solve. I don't think they'll be any mention of how the three city states are in need of governmental reform, those problems have magically disappeared off-screen. I would be happy to be proved wrong on this.

Maybe at some point the Evil Empire that's been confidently losing every battle because of some nebulous big picture thing will actually do something to Eorzea and invades or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

Maybe at some point the Evil Empire that's been confidently losing every battle because of some nebulous big picture thing will actually do something to Eorzea and invades or something.

I read an interview with Yoshida where he mentioned they might want to do a rework of the core 1-50 Eorzea zones at some point, and this was immediately what I thought of. A full-scale Garlean invasion of Eorzea would be a good excuse to redo old zones, enable flying, that kind of thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think what it was for me is that I wasn't clear on whether you're the new leader of the Peak of Serenity monks (who I think were sort of a splinter group) or of all monks, which would include the more insular pandaren ones. If it's the first one, you're one of the masters, rather than the master, and then it's perfectly fine.

Incidentally, the ver- is for vermilion not veritas.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

jokes posted:

Watching that Merlwyb video only made me sadder that the empire's been jobbing since 2.0.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I don't think I could ever play an MMO that's not FFXIV anymore because I'm too spoiled by being able to play every class on one character. Aside from the story, that's the biggest selling point to me. I always hated the idea of alts when I played WoW because I always wanted to work on progressing my main.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FF14 gets a little weird with the passage of time too. The upcoming Rising event will be the fourth year in a row of celebrating the fifth anniversary of the Calamity.

Panic Attack
Oct 29, 2012

Float like a bulldozer
Trying to catch a butterfly
Hi friends

Has anyone run into an issue lately where you punch in your details on the launcher, then it loads, and loads, and loads, and loads, and basically never lets you in?

Been doing this for me for the last few days. Do kinda wanna play my videogame. Tried reinstalling the launcher, but, same issue. Thinking it could be something on my end (firewall is clear, but we had a lot of powercuts lately and I have noticed some internet oddity).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fister Roboto posted:

FF14 gets a little weird with the passage of time too. The upcoming Rising event will be the fourth year in a row of celebrating the fifth anniversary of the Calamity.

That pretty safely falls under the category of a quibble, though.

It really doesn't compare to the mind bending feats of warping the time stream involved in playing a bog standard WoW character. Chronosorcery is a very well developed art there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Panic Attack posted:

Hi friends

Has anyone run into an issue lately where you punch in your details on the launcher, then it loads, and loads, and loads, and loads, and basically never lets you in?

Been doing this for me for the last few days. Do kinda wanna play my videogame. Tried reinstalling the launcher, but, same issue. Thinking it could be something on my end (firewall is clear, but we had a lot of powercuts lately and I have noticed some internet oddity).

I had that happen the other day when my internet died right after I put in my credentials, it doesn't seem to actually inform you when it hangs rather than keep trying.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

That pretty safely falls under the category of a quibble, though.

It really doesn't compare to the mind bending feats of warping the time stream involved in playing a bog standard WoW character. Chronosorcery is a very well developed art there.

Yeah, really the worst it ever got was the CUL capstone quest where you prepare a feast for the Sultana while she was "dead". You never see an actually dead NPC showing up in a sidequest later.

As a side effect, it does also mean that any NPC that is involved in any sidequest ever is effectively immortal.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

vOv posted:

The nice thing about leveling a tank is that you can also do 5060 and LDR instead of PotD (and Palace doesn't give you more XP after 60 anyway, so it starts to drop off). The downside is that if you do 5060 you won't get to play with any of your fun 52-58 toys until you hit 60, and if you do LDR you have a good shot at getting Sastasha or some poo poo.

I was in the same boat as you at the start (60 DRK, 46 PLD) and I've gotten my PLD to 55 just by doing a couple roulettes with it. Should be able to hit 70 in a couple weeks.

The first queue I did after reading this was Sastasha and I am holding you personally responsible! :argh:

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Can't wait for the day when they soft reboot ffxiv by killing off all the characters except the Manderville family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Magil Zeal posted:

Any plotline in Gyr Abania has the potential to involve the rest of Eorzea though, since Ala Mhigan refugees are scattered throughout the mainland. Maybe not Limsa Lominsa as much? But both Gridania and Ul'dah have very good reason to be involved in whatever happens in Ala Mhigo, Gridania because it's right on their border and Ul'dah because of refugees and Raubahn.

There's a short post-MSQ quest chain that involves leading refugees from Little Aha Mhigo back to Ala Mhigo, so that might set up a thing or two.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair that does involve a lot of "we know this character can't ever actually be at risk because they're in an unrelated plot mission" stuff which is a little annoying but not a lot you can do. (And you can still break it sometimes like saving Shiva EX until post-HW.)

That's why I like how the game's been moving to handle savage/extreme since 3.1. It's either Eorzean Yoshi-P telling a wildly embellished story, or (in the case of the Warring Triad) simulations of "what if the eikon was at full strength when you fought it".