Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Munchables posted:

Ooooh, yeah I getcha. I was in a hurry with that post and probably should have explained that part better. What I meant to say but didn't was that those guys were misrepresenting the petition, saying it was for something completely different, or that it was the petition to get the 15/hr, and when our guys asked to read the petition they were carrying and told them what it said they seemed to be surprised that it said that, and a few wanted to get hired on with us. I didn't mean to criticize the petitioners so much as their employers tactics. I have plenty of first-hand experience with that job area so I know the slumps those peeps are in, and it really sucks.

Oh I get you.

Just looking at what they do, it seems like it would have the potential to be incredibly demoralizing work. I have had to stand in a location and sell poo poo for a living before and even when I had a good product it sucked. I don't really know a lot about it, but I always got the same vibe off of those guys that I do from the kids that get carted around to different cities to sell magazine subscriptions that nobody wants; all they have to go on is pity and they have an "exploited" look in their eye. They al seem desperate to fit up their signature sheets and go the gently caress home, for which I do not blame them. Generally people tend to do that kind of work as a last resort.

I have met a handful of volunteer signature gatherers ever and of course their attitudes are different because that want to be there and are not under the same sort of pressures. Sometimes though they are like my signature gathering mother in law, who is crazy and a member of the constitution part because the Republicans sold out and got to liberal. Back in the day when Measure 9 was a thing she was surprised her lesbian neighbors were rude to her when she was door-knocking in the neighborhood for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Yeah, a lot of the people that do it are doing it because it's the only job they can get, in my experience. I worked in a petitioning office in Portland and we had multiple homeless people working for us, a lot of people doing it as a second job, and a few career petitioners. Those last guys are obv the ones that bring in the most sigs, but they are still pretty down people. Lots of alcohol, driving across the state/country and depending on the company or area they work for/in they can get hosed over pretty easily.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think if that negative seattle minimum wage study ever does make it through peer review it will serve as a good indicator that more needs to be done to help workers. abolishing the sales tax and taxing high income brackets to compensate would be a good start

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Javid posted:

Are they even allowed to do that? If someone cares enough to rat them out to corporate they might get stomped on.
What makes you think that McDonald's corporate is going to care? A franchise owner is using an increased cost of wages to both increase their profit and blame their rising costs on the working class. That's the small-business entrepreneurial spirit America loves!

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Javid posted:

Are they even allowed to do that? If someone cares enough to rat them out to corporate they might get stomped on.

Take a close look at national McDonalds ads sometime. They all say "at participating restaurants," and these days, "prices higher in Alaska, Hawaii, and the city of Seattle."

Of course, that is a purely political move. They didn't give a poo poo when Seatac went straight to a $15 minimum wage, literally overnight, because an airport town of something like 15k people won't get national attention. But, once a city people have heard of starts phasing in a series of slow increases over quite a few years, McDonalds franchisees nationwide had to make sure people knew that a vote for a living wage is a vote against 2-for-$2 McDouble cheeseburgers.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
McDonald's varies prices from region to region already, it wouldn't surprise me if Seattle prices were higher to begin with. The owner probably put up the sign to whine to everyone who reads it the he has to pay his workers decently.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

CongoJack posted:

McDonald's varies prices from region to region already, it wouldn't surprise me if Seattle prices were higher to begin with. The owner probably put up the sign to whine to everyone who reads it the he has to pay his workers decently.

Which is a horrendously stupid, unforced error. It will make exactly 0 people each there that otherwise wouldn't, but might make some people not eat there because they now know you are against living wages. For instance, a lot of people won't eat Papa John's anymore because of their loving tantrum over the affordable care act.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Just a guess. Some companies are strict about that and I don't actually care enough about Mcd's to know if they're one.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Venuz Patrol posted:

i think if that negative seattle minimum wage study ever does make it through peer review it will serve as a good indicator that more needs to be done to help workers. abolishing the sales tax and taxing high income brackets to compensate would be a good start

For what it's worth, the Seattle city council position was "if the study is correct then we have more work to do to make this wage work".

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DevNull posted:

That study was sponsored by: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_and_John_Arnold_Foundation

It has been getting ripped apart all day. Pretty much everything about it is bullshit.

I heard a long interview with the researcher last night on the PBS show "Nightly Business Report", and they implied that the study was funded by the UW, and never mentioned the fact that it only covered single location businesses. Barely mentioned that it hadn't passed peer review. What the gently caress, I expect better form PBS news shows.

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

PBS relies on corporate funding and caters to the desires of the capital class. It's not fully taxpayer funded

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Yeah NPR is garbage.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Turtle Blogger posted:

PBS relies on corporate funding and caters to the desires of the capital class. It's not fully taxpayer funded

You don't usually see these sorts of issues on the Newshour, and NBR is usually overly strict about conflict of interest issues.

PBS isn't NPR, and NPR consists of a whole bunch of different publishing, local, national and international. Calling NPR garbage because it's Two-Way blog, which tends to be rather low key anyway, wasn't in depth is a bit much.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Solkanar512 posted:

I heard a long interview with the researcher last night on the PBS show "Nightly Business Report", and they implied that the study was funded by the UW, and never mentioned the fact that it only covered single location businesses. Barely mentioned that it hadn't passed peer review. What the gently caress, I expect better form PBS news shows.

KUOW did a pretty slobbery fluff piece on this study and didn't mention that detail either. Then today they did a follow up piece because the backlash was big enough and throughout their entire cross-examination of the study that detail AGAIN didn't show up.

KUOW is trash.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I gave up on NPR after KQED in SF gave a Lockheed shill and then an JSF program office shill ten straight minutes to talk about how the F-35 is the most cost effective, magical weapons system ever devised that also makes delicious toast and didn't even bother to mention the cost overruns or have someone present the opposing case. Literally just gagged in my car on the way to work listening to them read out a marketing brochure for the plane on public radio and then never turned it back on.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Javid posted:

Just a guess. Some companies are strict about that and I don't actually care enough about Mcd's to know if they're one.

McDonald's is notorious for being strict with the way it handles franchises. They are incredibly tight fisted about their image, and I bet a franchisee would get their rear end chew out for editorializing like that in a drive thru window.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

HEY NONG MAN posted:

KUOW did a pretty slobbery fluff piece on this study and didn't mention that detail either. Then today they did a follow up piece because the backlash was big enough and throughout their entire cross-examination of the study that detail AGAIN didn't show up.

KUOW is trash.

I want to know why they're going to quarterly fundraisers after raising enough money to put a down payment on KPLU.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

McDonald's is notorious for being strict with the way it handles franchises. They are incredibly tight fisted about their image, and I bet a franchisee would get their rear end chew out for editorializing like that in a drive thru window.

The McDonald's at northgate in Seattle also has a sign, it's pretty hosed up considering they just remodeled it and are now blaming the employees for the high prices.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/senatorfain/status/878301196519329792

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

The DIY baby burrito.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Not pictured: the baby he wrapped in tinfoil?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Oregon HB 2269 was a bill to raise money to fund air environmental regulators, so that what happened to Portland last year could be dealt with.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2017/06/oregon_lawmakers_refuse_to_fun.html posted:

The bill would've charged the state's 2,525 permitted air polluters an average of $433 each. Major polluters, like hazardous waste incinerators, would've paid $1,456, while smaller sources like gas stations and dry cleaners would've paid less than $50 apiece.
Industry groups, including Associated Oregon Industries, had opposed the one-time levy, describing Cleaner Air Oregon as a job-killing initiative that would be ruinous and cause manufacturers to close.
It did not pass.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Oregon HB 2269 was a bill to raise money to fund air environmental regulators, so that what happened to Portland last year could be dealt with.
It did not pass.

Well yeah. We all throw a fit about air pollution but really isn't there an individual responsibility to not breath polluted air? Why subsidize lazy breathing on the backs of job creators?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Solkanar512 posted:

PBS isn't NPR, and NPR consists of a whole bunch of different publishing, local, national and international. Calling NPR garbage because it's Two-Way blog, which tends to be rather low key anyway, wasn't in depth is a bit much.

I got a good laugh during the GWB era when the NPR ombudsman kept popping in to bravely stand up to the listeners demanding that they call waterboarding torture.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Solkanar512 posted:

You don't usually see these sorts of issues on the Newshour, and NBR is usually overly strict about conflict of interest issues.
I stopped listening to most NPR talk+news shows because of their horrible propensity to bring on paid lobbyists for conservative sides of an argument and them give them equal air time with experts in whatever it is they're talking about. IIRC, it was shows like To The Point, etc, who would bring on these awful shills and allow them to just walk all over the other guests and the host as well.

Diane Rehm doens't gently caress around, she will flat mute you on the air if you start pulling that poo poo. :3:

anthonypants posted:

quote:

while smaller sources like gas stations and dry cleaners would've paid less than $50 apiece.

quote:

It did not pass.
I worked in a dry cleaner for years, a local chain of stores. The amount of toxic waste and other egregious violations of health,s afety, and workers rights, was truly astounding. I wish I'd been smart enough at the time to get a photo of the literally penciled-out times on my punchcard (an actual oldschool punchcard) where the owner insisted all employees show up 10-15 minutes before their shift and start balancing up a till for the registers, etc, and require the store to remain open until 8pm on the nose but then scratch out the 8:20 when the people cleaning up actually were able to leave after locking everything down etc - which during my noon-8p shift emant I was robbed of 25-40 minutes literally every day I came in to work.

Not to mention the vats of chemicals leaking, spills, the owner literally lying to customers all the time (you lose your ticket, it doesn't matter what you remember dropping off, now you only brought in one pair of slacks, and no you can't see the store copy of the checkin receipt) no safety inspections of equipment like BOILERS :psyduck: , drunk delivery drivers, violation of employee privacy by management, as a form of punishment..

And how many mom and pop gas stations have had decades-lasting waste leaks?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 29, 2017

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I think Rehm finally retired and I haven't listened to enough of the new host but I'm afraid.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/some-seattle-homeowners-are-mad-that-democracy-vouchers-are-working-the-way-theyre-supposed-to/ This is the first time I'm hearing of this program, but it owns.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I already sent mine in. I participated in politics y'all!!!!!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

George posted:

I think Rehm finally retired and I haven't listened to enough of the new host but I'm afraid.
That's a bummer, she was excellent. But I can't blame her for retiring after her husband passed away. She even did a really good episode on assisted suicide, because iirc it was the option she and he chose due to his advanced parkinsons or something

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

coyo7e posted:

I stopped listening to most NPR talk+news shows because of their horrible propensity to bring on paid lobbyists for conservative sides of an argument and them give them equal air time with experts in whatever it is they're talking about. IIRC, it was shows like To The Point, etc, who would bring on these awful shills and allow them to just walk all over the other guests and the host as well.

Diane Rehm doens't gently caress around, she will flat mute you on the air if you start pulling that poo poo. :3:

I worked in a dry cleaner for years, a local chain of stores. The amount of toxic waste and other egregious violations of health,s afety, and workers rights, was truly astounding. I wish I'd been smart enough at the time to get a photo of the literally penciled-out times on my punchcard (an actual oldschool punchcard) where the owner insisted all employees show up 10-15 minutes before their shift and start balancing up a till for the registers, etc, and require the store to remain open until 8pm on the nose but then scratch out the 8:20 when the people cleaning up actually were able to leave after locking everything down etc - which during my noon-8p shift emant I was robbed of 25-40 minutes literally every day I came in to work.

Not to mention the vats of chemicals leaking, spills, the owner literally lying to customers all the time (you lose your ticket, it doesn't matter what you remember dropping off, now you only brought in one pair of slacks, and no you can't see the store copy of the checkin receipt) no safety inspections of equipment like BOILERS :psyduck: , drunk delivery drivers, violation of employee privacy by management, as a form of punishment..

And how many mom and pop gas stations have had decades-lasting waste leaks?

I have a good bit more to say about how poo poo KUOW is but seriously, gently caress small business owners.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Solkanar512 posted:

I have a good bit more to say about how poo poo KUOW is but seriously, gently caress small business owners.

My first job was at a small candle store in the mall. The owner was really nice and did her best to be as flexible with our schedules as possible. She always stuck up for us when a customer would get pissy over something stupid (upscale area, they got pissy a lot).

It's almost like there are all sorts of people in the world. Crazy thought.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Sure but on the other hand DEATH TO KKKAPITALISM really makes you think

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Orrr it's that we should stop exempting small businesses from needing to respect basic workers' rights because people still deserve basic safety standards and benefits and consistent schedules even if the what they work for isn't Fred Meyer. But reducing it to Babby's First Anarchism is fine too I guess.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Reene posted:

Orrr it's that we should stop exempting small businesses from needing to respect basic workers' rights because people still deserve basic safety standards and benefits and consistent schedules even if the what they work for isn't Fred Meyer. But reducing it to Babby's First Anarchism is fine too I guess.
Fred Meyer is probably a bad example here, since they're unionized. I don't know how well-known that is.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

anthonypants posted:

Fred Meyer is probably a bad example here, since they're unionized. I don't know how well-known that is.

Every department or just grocery?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Cactrot posted:

Every department or just grocery?

They are part of Kroger, which is fully unionized as far as I know. This includes(locally) both QFC and Fred Meyers.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

George posted:

He's too refined, not a pit-fighter like Diane.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cicero posted:

Sure but on the other hand DEATH TO KKKAPITALISM really makes you think

gently caress off dude, the last small business owner I worked for housed H1-B visa holders in apartments he owned, made them work 6-7 days/week, 10+ hour days and when they refused he would threaten to have them deported back to places known for massive human rights violations. Or just randomly fire people without warning because it was the only way his three inch dick could get hard. He even fired an entire office after hearing rumors of unionization.

We worked in food safety, with labs all over the US, Canada and Mexico. (Also, let me cut off any Fishmech impressions to point out that the total employment was under 500 across 60+ sites). We cut corners and abused the private certification systems. We actively falsified paperwork while client auditors waited in the next room. You ate and continue to eat food we tested.

Don't try and defend this. Too many small business owners are little more than petty tyrants.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm not defending lovely behavior, I'm agreeing that not all small business owners are scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

In some cases being required to comply with regulations that are designed for much larger businesses IS to much of a burden for small businesses. This is particularly true for financial reporting requirements and USDA sanitation standards, which are designed for huge corporations.Some small businesses are lovely and some are great, it really depends on who is running them.

I don't see how most worker protections become that much of a burden. In particular predictable scheduling should be easier the fewer employees you have.