Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Boondocks Saints 2 is legit one of the worst movies ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, there's a web-famous article from a few years ago that broke it all down and how, because of being able to sell a big budget movie to various distributors around the globe, a $100 million movie like Tomb Raider is a safer bet than $20 million movie like Sideways

I assume this works even better if you can convince your foreign distributors to just straight up pre-fund your production.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
How is there a MLP MOVIE coming out this year?

Are they just wringing the series out of ever drop they can now that it's faded from prominence?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

How is there a MLP MOVIE coming out this year?

Are they just wringing the series out of ever drop they can now that it's faded from prominence?

there have been a few of those i think, and its a hasbro product, so yes they will keep making movies until either the toy sales slump or the movies stop getting returns

the universe will collapse upon itself and a film reel for Transformers 87 which is just a remake of Transformers 25, the one where Optimus Prime transforms into Paul Blart's segway (gotta get that expanded universe going, and the segway itself is one of the infinity stones) will be the only thing that exists

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 29, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Last I heard, MLP was a billion dollar brand for Hasbro. You may not hear much about the show anymore, but parents still buy the toys.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My son even watched it the other day when he was trying to pick a show on Netflix. He's only 4 though so it didn't hold his interest at all, I think it's intended more for 8-10 year olds. Yet he'll watch 20 Teen Titans Go in a row if I let him

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is the MLP show still going? We're vastly approaching a time fans will be nostalgic for the MLP revival. I don't like the idea of people being nostalgic for things that happened after I left high school. I don't like feeling old. Stop it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hIigVXZ_7E

Huh, it doesn't look that bad actually

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

It's still huge with children. If you have little girls and you let them socialize with other little girls, your life inevitably becomes an inescapable vortex of Disney princesses, ponies, and Shopkins.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Too Shy Guy posted:

It's still huge with children. If you have little girls and you let them socialize with other little girls, your life inevitably becomes an inescapable vortex of Disney princesses, ponies, and Shopkins.

Or you're a librarian like me. We still can't keep Frozen on the childrens' dvd shelf for more than a day or two at a time.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

looks pretty good actually. kinda reminded me of donnie darko, main dude looks a bit like young jake.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And Jumanji's trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R85IHLST7Js

Is...not what I was expecting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Ahh the old "it's perfectly fine to dress the only woman in almost nothing as long as we have a throwaway line acknowledging that it makes no sense."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And Jumanji's trailer

"what if we removed everything good and memorable from Jumanji and had Kevin Hart scream for two hours?"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yet he'll watch 20 Teen Titans Go in a row if I let him

Teen Titans GO! is such a profoundly weird show. There are plenty of silly, slapstick episodes, but then there'll be one about the importance of building equity, or an homage to Heavy Metal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phylodox posted:

Teen Titans GO! is such a profoundly weird show. There are plenty of silly, slapstick episodes, but then there'll be one about the importance of building equity, or an homage to Heavy Metal.

It's pretty common for children's cartoons to have references to age inappropriate stuff, which is fine as long as it's kept age appropriate in the show. The aforementioned MLP has an episode that's an extended homage to Apocalypse Now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Teen Titans Go is great just because of how angry it makes people for not being mature like the last Teen Titans show.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Len posted:

Teen Titans Go is great just because of how angry it makes people for not being mature like the last Teen Titans show.

Also for this
https://twitter.com/DC_Animated/status/609313460896182272

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I assume this works even better if you can convince your foreign distributors to just straight up pre-fund your production.

It worked for CBS! Netflix bought the foreign distribution rights to the new Star Trek series sight-unseen, completely funding its production costs. CBS got paid and is using the series to promote their own premium streaming service while Netflix is still waiting to distribute a series that's been plagued by production delays and the loss of its showrunner. :eng101:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Too Shy Guy posted:

God drat does it ever.

For me at least now that my daughter is a little older, she has decided to move on more to Ninja Turtles and Five Nights at Freddy's.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Teen Titans GO is entertaining in its own right for how batshit it can be and what it seems to get away with. Like, the last episode I watched with my kids was a competition between Robin and Kid Flash to be the first to stop 52 crimes. Santa Claus sings a song about how teammates are garbage. Robin wins by going full Tonya Harding and breaking Kid Flash's knee. Final shot is Kid Flash crippled and crying in pain. :stare:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

It's pretty common for children's cartoons to have references to age inappropriate stuff, which is fine as long as it's kept age appropriate in the show. The aforementioned MLP has an episode that's an extended homage to Apocalypse Now.

TTG takes it to a wonderfully absurd degree where not only do they go out their way to never learn lessons but a lot of episodes end with everyone dying. It really is just a giant troll where everyone involved is having a great time.

Also Weird Al Darkseid best Darkseid.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah, I just would think it would be over his 4 year old head.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah, I just would think it would be over his 4 year old head.

It's a lot of slapstick and extreme facial reactions, that and the episodes being half as long as MLP are probably what he digs. Kids that young don't have the attention span for longer narratives.

There's a reason Teletubbies episodes were literally a ten minute thing, and then the exact same ten minute thing all over again. Blues Clues would do the same thing by showing the same episode 5 days in a row, so kids could solve the mystery themselves.

You should completely corrupt him by showing him Ten and Stimpy.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And Jumanji's trailer

Man they really don't like having children star in major motion pictures anymore do they? I wonder why/when that changed?

Edit: Haha, should have finished watching the trailer. My point still stands, kind of?

porfiria fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 29, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Points against: labor laws make the shooting schedule more difficult

Points for: they are cheaper than stars and aren't going to be in a position to demand points off gross or whatever

Was the last major kid's adventure film starring kids that JJ Abrams one with the alien escaping a train?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

porfiria posted:

Man they really don't like having children star in major motion pictures anymore do they? I wonder why/when that changed?

Edit: Haha, should have finished watching the trailer. My point still stands, kind of?

No-name child actors don't fill theater seats in a post-2009 world.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What happened in 2009

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Points against: labor laws make the shooting schedule more difficult

Points for: they are cheaper than stars and aren't going to be in a position to demand points off gross or whatever

Was the last major kid's adventure film starring kids that JJ Abrams one with the alien escaping a train?

Probably 1/3rd of Jurassic World? Earth to Echo?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Teikanmi posted:

I guess, it's just weird to me that humanity circa 1995 would go see Home Alone or Little Rascals or whatever and now we don't.

I suppose the main thing is that pretty much every major release now is supposed to be four quadrant and play well in Brazil.

Edit: Fair point about JW having significant kid screentime!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I remember for Winter Soldier they had kids reenacting scenes from it for Target commercials. They should do a whole movie of that. Just take a comic book movie from the previous year and make a shot for shot remake with kids. You don't have to worry about cutting out adult situations or anything because the original movies probably already did that!

I believe John Waters was working on something like this for Pink Flamingos, though he had a lot more necessary edits of course.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Does Terminator Genisys starring an adult who looks like a baby count?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

basic hitler posted:

Another Oats short/Blomkamp thing was posted today. Seemingly nothing to do with Rakka. It's also much more :nws::nms: than Rakka was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0V24IEHao

I think this story is really exposition heavy but i like it a little more than Rakka.

The effects work is great (and gross) and I looove the concept of the Vietcong beating back the invaders with a f'ing rivergod, but it kinda gets ruined by the government guy laying out a ridiculous monologue about reality distortion and other nonsense. That stuff would be okay in a videogame, not here.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

We need more films like Bugsy Malone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Does Terminator Genisys starring an adult who looks like a baby count?

Decades from now no one but a select few will remember that Jai Courtney era, something I'll always be able to say I lived through. Makes you think.

Funny part is you could just as easily be talking about Clarke.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I remember for Winter Soldier they had kids reenacting scenes from it for Target commercials. They should do a whole movie of that. Just take a comic book movie from the previous year and make a shot for shot remake with kids. You don't have to worry about cutting out adult situations or anything because the original movies probably already did that!

I believe John Waters was working on something like this for Pink Flamingos, though he had a lot more necessary edits of course.

Have you heard of Hawk Jones? It's not a remake per se, but it's up your alley and fascinating.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

Decades from now no one but a select few will remember that Jai Courtney era, something I'll always be able to say I lived through. Makes you think.

Funny part is you could just as easily be talking about Clarke.

He could have been the next Reb Brown but he chose the path of stoic mumbler instead of righteously screaming all dialogue.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

davidspackage posted:

The effects work is great (and gross) and I looove the concept of the Vietcong beating back the invaders with a f'ing rivergod, but it kinda gets ruined by the government guy laying out a ridiculous monologue about reality distortion and other nonsense. That stuff would be okay in a videogame, not here.

TBF I was half expecting the CIA man to call the special forces dude "Snake" at some point, especially during the exposition montage.

I really want to know if the burnt-up corporal's flashback to South Carolina being under attack by Russian superweapons straight out of Red Alert was his base reality or the River God temporarily shuffling him to a reality that was experiencing a Russian invasion of the CONUS.

Also, it reminded me a lot of an old Marvel comic, the Nth Man, where the ultimate assassin faces off against his brother, a reality-manipulating psychic, with a conventional WW3 as the background (because the psychic reality-shifter took all the world's nuclear weapons).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vegetable posted:

What happened in 2009

2009/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Teikanmi posted:

I dunno, I know it wasn't a theatrical release, but everyone lost their minds over Stranger Things.

• Locked thread