Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Mavs just traded another guy to Houston for cash, I think another big deal is about to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

shed a tear MV
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/880493709321658368

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool Buff Man posted:

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/880484807439863812

I really have no idea where he's going to end up

Remember, teams in/close to the tax usually cannot get players in a S&T.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q91

That isn't as big of a deal this year though, but it does limit his destination somewhat (sorry Cavs)

Paul Zuvella posted:

If the T-Wolves want to compete, Milsap to the T-wolves makes the most sense.

He's 32, I think you'd be in a weird place where your team would have a constant headwind of age if you got him. His skillset is great, but I this contract will be lose value fast and that probably isn't what you want as Wiggins and KAT are entering their primes.

Spacebump posted:

Mavs just traded another guy to Houston for cash, I think another big deal is about to happen.

There are no more deals, Houston cannot stop the machine. It's out of control.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nah man, he's taking Ryan Anderson's starting spot once they trade him

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They may be building up salary for a trade . Probably.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Boosh! posted:

Ahh yeah, just reaching for a CUNY joke. Most of my family went to Baruch or Hunter.

Hah, nah I definitely get it. I think it's probably like how them British treat the NHS--there's problems enough to complain all day and all night, but folks are ultimately proud of it and glad it's there. It's a Very Good Thing that NYS has the largest public university system in the western world (at least some of the time? It might back and forth between NY and California depending on how you're taking measurements and what year, with Ohio usually a close third).

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/880501451008729089

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
He's been in Charlotte for a few years but wasn't really a forward-facing guy so I have no idea if that's a big loss for Charlotte or gain for Indy. He was apparently part of the Portland front office during Pritchard's tenure and afterward until Olshey cleared house

morestuff fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 29, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

They may be building up salary for a trade . Probably.

no I think he's gonna start

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Intruder posted:

I kind of wish Bogut had still been on the Warriors for the awkwardness of him visiting the White House alone

Hmmm Bogut's comments leading up to the election didn't make it seem like he would've been keen tbh

Punkin Spunkin posted:

now we just need to bring Andrew Bogut & the war criminal known as "Zaza Pachulia" to justice

Wait which Spur did Bogut injure I don't remember this

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Morey is definitely collecting non guaranteeds for a trade but i'm not really sure its a specific trade yet. Yesterday he basically referred to the non guaranteeds as a TPE. Hes using all the cash the Rockets could use from 16/17 (3.5m) to acquire essentially a pile of non guaranteed contracts that gives him more flexibility in any potential trade. My understanding is that annual cash allotment resets on July 1, so essentially he is using up all of last seasons before Saturday because at that point it rolls over and he has to dip into next season's allotment.

So I don't know that it suggests another deal is imminent so much as hes getting assets now before the July 1 deadline to better position himself for various possible deals. Or in short, Daryl Morey is pretty good at his job.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/rockets_feed/status/880127750140567552

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dekker's right, tho

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Boosh! posted:

The interest in Hill is weird. If true, I don't think we're looking to tank.
Hill would be a pretty great mentor for Frank, assuming they want to mold him into a similar player, without throwing him to the wolves. Doesn't help the tank though.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sam Dekker knows the xbox has the wrong kind of ram, and Morey got mad

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Sign and trades typically result in returns well below what the player is worth. LeBron's example obviously comes to mind and Millsap likely will too.

So why is PG commanding such a large return? Is it just because he has 1 year left on his deal even though he's all but confirmed he's gone?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Was morey getting back over the cap ? They'd be better off over the cap.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

euphronius posted:

Was morey getting back over the cap ? They'd be better off over the cap.

They're already over, but basically Morey now has somewhere around 10-12 mllion dollars in non guaranteed contracts that he can use to balance off trades I believe, and he is using up cash that he can no longer use in 48 hours to build that pile.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

Wait which Spur did Bogut injure I don't remember this
I'm not sure if he ever injured a Spur or anything but I just think he's a dirty fucker like every Aussie player that isn't the beloved and definitely-not-leaving Fatty Patty Mills

didnt like the way he guarded Timmy

and yes for anyone checking I do remember Bruce Bowen

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Sign and trades typically result in returns well below what the player is worth. LeBron's example obviously comes to mind and Millsap likely will too.

So why is PG commanding such a large return? Is it just because he has 1 year left on his deal even though he's all but confirmed he's gone?

1 year left on your contract is a lot different than being a FA. The Lebron example the leverage he had was literally "I can just sign with the Heat". That's not true of PG and the Celtics, there is really no way PG can sign with the Celtics without a trade. Even the Lakers (who likely can sign him next year) know that anything might happen in a year, and see the value in getting PG now, value Indy wants something for in return.

Right now Indiana still controls the destiny of PG for at least another 12 months, and they can still try to call a bluff if he wants to pass on a larger contract to sign somewhere else next year. Whether or not they are valuing that properly is an open question, but its obviously worth more than if PG were a FA.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well not twelve months but until the trade deadline .

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm not sure if he ever injured a Spur or anything but I just think he's a dirty fucker like every Aussie player that isn't the beloved and definitely-not-leaving Fatty Patty Mills

Whoa Jingles did nothing to deserve this

EDIT: also Simmons and Exum

EDIT EDIT: Also Andrew Gaze

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Well not twelve months but until the trade deadline .

Well, in 12 months they can still offer him the largest contract or a S&T situation (which would have very little leverage, but maybe Magic gets impatient and blows his cap). So they have moves until then.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

Whoa Jingles did nothing to deserve this

EDIT: also Simmons and Exum
ohh yeahhhhhh good point, good point
let's say, every white Aussie player who isn't Jingles (I don't know if he's dirty I never really see him play)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

Well, in 12 months they can still offer him the largest contract or a S&T situation (which would have very little leverage, but maybe Magic gets impatient and blows his cap). So they have moves until then.

Oh right sign and trade . Good point

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/880508003941855232

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Hahahaha.

I'm on Team Morey

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Metapod posted:

Did Twitter finally kill you?

PFZ was indefinitely suspended due to excessive use of Pepe. =(

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Time posted:

Sam Dekker knows the xbox has the wrong kind of ram, and Morey got mad

Ballmer demanded Dekker as part of the trade

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
If the rockets don't get a 3rd star player they will have destroyed their cap & roster (Beverly and Lou Williams were incredible values) for zero chance at winning wcf. I hope they get George or Milsap but Carmelo would be super super funny

I'm pretty sure Hayward is staying in Utah

Totally the wrong tack to take when trying to influence a player to take less than market. Emphasis team cohesion/stability and winning as value replacement for cash. Literally zero people except Joe Lacob care about the teams luxury tax

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 29, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

PantsFreeZone posted:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

The owner must be cheap

PantsFreeZone posted:

drat

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Cool hope he signs here.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

PantsFreeZone posted:

hey
heyheyheyehey
remember this?

that was cool

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

hey
heyheyheyehey
remember this?

that was cool

Hahahahaha. That never gets old.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jackie D posted:

Ballmer demanded Dekker as part of the trade

Obviously wants to re-educate him.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I look forward to the garbage fire the East is gonna be (I mean even more so) when Butler, Lowry, PG13 and Milsap all leave for the West

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Ammanas posted:

If the rockets don't get a 3rd star player they will have destroyed their cap & roster (Beverly and Lou Williams were incredible values) for zero chance at winning wcf.

It's not zero because curry and Durant can always get injured (and have). If you aren't going to be tanking anyways, then you might as well make sure to be the next team up if that happens, it would have to be somebody.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Ammanas posted:

If the rockets don't get a 3rd star player they will have destroyed their cap & roster (Beverly and Lou Williams were incredible values) for zero chance at winning wcf. I hope they get George or Milsap but Carmelo would be super super funny

Noctone posted:

"Whoa I dunno if trading forgettable role players for a still-in-his-prime Hall of Famer is gonna work out."

-An Idiot

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Ammanas posted:

Totally the wrong tack to take when trying to influence a player to take less than market. Emphasis team cohesion/stability and winning as value replacement for cash. Literally zero people except Joe Lacob care about the teams luxury tax

To me, it reads more as a pre-emptive "we tried :(" due to hesitancy to give a 33 year old a 4/5 year deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Away all Goats posted:

I look forward to the garbage fire the East is gonna be (I mean even more so) when Butler, Lowry, PG13 and Milsap all leave for the West

Michael Jordan is going to be the first person who acquired Dwight Howard at the actual most opportune time ever for his franchise.

• Locked thread