Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Millions of Americans.

Hope this helps.

Wow, why don't they go to college or vocational school to get a better job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fits my needs posted:

Wow, why don't they go to college or vocational school to get a better job?

Most likely they did do so, and are now paying off the debt working at Target.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have only worked in wholesale internationally but literally everything ITT just screams "unionize properly YOU FUCKS THIS IS A SOLVED PROBLEM for god's sake" welp thats my view I sincerely hope your lives get better.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

Jerry Cotton posted:

I have only worked in wholesale internationally but literally everything ITT just screams "unionize properly YOU FUCKS THIS IS A SOLVED PROBLEM for god's sake" welp thats my view I sincerely hope your lives get better.

every full timer at the grocery store i worked at was a either a Trump man or a Huckabee boy, i don't think thats gonna happen

edit: it was very rural yes

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Chomp8645 posted:

This

Screama posted:

Also, this comes up every time a retail thread starts but if you work for a big chain store and you're not actively trying to gently caress them over at every opportunity you're doing retail wrong.

This too.

I'm not in retail-retail but similar, and at one of my jobs the owner is stingy and is stealing money out of our checks, though technically legally. So I just steal a ton of supplies and food. I have like $200 of free food in my house. I'm too old, tired, and broke to give a gently caress.

Re: spineless managers. They can die in a fire. And the whole "customer is always right" bullshit. When I worked at Apple this nasty guy was pulling a scam or something, and was such an rear end in a top hat that he made one of my coworkers cry. He was so lovely it escalated to the regional manager. He called her a bitch and a oval office, and she told him apple didn't want him as a customer. It was pretty great. But for that one guy there was a billion assholes who got away with discounts or free items or whatever. The feeling you get when you've told someone "no" and then the manager comes over and says "yes" is soul-crushing.

My friend works at Potbellys and apparently some guy got $1,000 because his sandwich was not cut evenly and that the (black) manager was being racist. I know the guy and he's super nice and friendly, and people who worked that day said he was joking around with the customer and there was absolutely no sign that the customer was upset.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Automatonic Water posted:

every full timer at the grocery store i worked at was a either a Trump man or a Huckabee boy, i don't think thats gonna happen

its almost like...

retail deserves it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Automatonic Water posted:

I know I'm lucky for being brought up in a welfare state. I just really hope you can get there one day. I have faith in you!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm working at a commissary this summer and I have to card/scan everyone's ID, including people in uniform. The only ones who ever object to it are boomers, WWII/Korean vets have all been chill as hell so far.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Jerry Cotton posted:

You literally cannot even mention a union without being blackballed in most retail. Staples had a whole training video on how to spot and avoid union reps, giving instructions to inform a manager if you even suspected a union rep was on the premises. In the event that retail stores to vote to unionize they will typically close that location and seek another as they assume the running costs will be too high.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
My best secret shopper story comes from one time I had a car with a major fuel leak on the forecourt. I had shut off all the pumps, put down the absorbent kitty litter and had called the fire brigade. It was a big one, the guy had put in almost 100L and every last drop was making a break for freedom.

So the secret shopper comes in and fails me because, "How many pumps were available for you to use? Zero." :downs:

Fuckface the Hedgehog posted:

During the period before those cameras where installed, the petroleum groups where lobbying for greater police presence to stop driveoffs. The official police response was to tell them to secure thier poo poo or the coppers would invoice them for the callout and tell them to suck it up.

In Victoria they actually came out and said they would no longer respond to petrol theft. I saw those headlines in the paper and was so loving glad I'm out of that horror show. Stupid loving police go and tell everyone, "Hey, steal this poo poo, we won't care." :doh:

Even though every servo in the country could bring in prepaid pretty much overnight, they never will. The amount of fuel they lose to thieves is far less than the amount they would otherwise lose from the decrease in shop sales.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 29, 2017

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Target Corporate isn't bad for pay I guess

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gay Weed Dad posted:

You literally cannot even mention a union without being blackballed in most retail. Staples had a whole training video on how to spot and avoid union reps, giving instructions to inform a manager if you even suspected a union rep was on the premises. In the event that retail stores to vote to unionize they will typically close that location and seek another as they assume the running costs will be too high.

That is literally SO SO bad. Gosh heck darn.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

That is literally SO SO bad. Gosh heck darn.

Its also how you know advertising works.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

fits my needs posted:

What kind of person post college age even works in retail anymore?

When I worked retail it was in the early 90s when I was at uni and pretty much every shop you went into was maybe one old person who had been there forever who did the openings during the week and a bunch of young people working part time for all the weekends, nights and closings.

Now, in my area over the past few years, we've had the Holden plant close, the Ford plant close, the Toyota plant close, the Alcoa aluminium smelter close and the large carpet manufacturer close. With all the ancillary companies closing as well because there's no one left to sell to, this has meant about 70% of the "good" blue collar jobs within 300km are just gone.

Tens of thousands of people who thought they had a job for life are totally hosed.

Now you walk into a retail store and most of the staff are in their 40s and 50s because they have mortgages and families and there's literally nowhere else and it's just a loving tragedy.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

I've heard that Apple are one of the less bad retailers. Apparently there's much less of the relentless targets focused approach to selling, which puts quite a lot of stress on people who I know working in tech retail.

I imagine that is somewhat counterbalanced by the need to maintain that kind of relentless positivity all the time though.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

My best secret shopper story comes from one time I had a car with a major fuel leak on the forecourt. I had shut off all the pumps, put down the absorbent kitty litter and had called the fire brigade. It was a big one, the guy had put in almost 100L and every last drop was making a break for freedom.

So the secret shopper comes in and fails me because, "How many pumps were available for you to use? Zero." :downs:

In Victoria they actually came out and said they would no longer respond to petrol theft. I saw those headlines in the paper and was so loving glad I'm out of that horror show. Stupid loving police go and tell everyone, "Hey, steal this poo poo, we won't care." :doh:

Even though every servo in the country could bring in prepaid pretty much overnight, they never will. The amount of fuel they lose to thieves is far less than the amount they would otherwise lose from the decrease in shop sales.

Yeah the coppers did that because they where sick of dealing with the brand servos calling in when they hadnt bothered to try and fix the situation themselves. They did the same thing when paywave was introuduced and the banks demanded the police beef up thier cybercrime departments to correspond with the rise of credit card fraud that they had caused by half arsing the security.

limpy wimpy
Jul 1, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm merely expressing how nice it is not to have to worry about antiquated blue laws. Cool off.

Are you euphoric?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Supercondescending posted:

When I was a senior in high school I worked at a party supply store. Our manager, Brian, did his very best to hire only teenage girls. We had a problem with a couple of old ladies (seriously it was like the same 3 or 4 old ladies) coming in a few times a week, making GBS threads themselves, leaving their lovely underwear in the bathroom, and dropping turds all over the bathroom floor and occasionally smearing some on the walls. I don't know if these ladies knew each other and had some kind of turd party club or what, but they all had the same store-making GBS threads tactics, it was nuts. Anyway, Manager Brian not only refused to ever clean up the poo poo himself ever (he once left it over a holiday weekend to fester while we were closed) but he would specifically scream at the 2 male employees if they ever tried to clean it up. Because Brian wanted the teenage girls to do it. He wanted to WATCH the teenage girls do it. He would come pick a teenage girl cashier, drag them away from their register, force them to pick up poo poo, and then stand there watching and breathing really heavily the whole time. He'd pick a specific girl of the day to do it, today THIS GIRL, THIS SPECIFIC ONE would be his poo poo Queen. If you protested he'd fire you on the spot. I cried one time while cleaning up the poo poo because I was 17 and it was so gross, and his face got super flushed and he "hehhh'd" softly and I assume came in his pants.

He's some big regional manager dude now and makes a lot of money. He had a lisp, wore velcro shoes, and once made a 15 year old girl cry because she stopped a middle aged mom from shoplifting $50 worth of plastic plates and cutlery. He had a visible erection while he berated her. That's my retail story!!!!!!

I have to ask. Why didn't Brian get a "talking to" by someone's father? Or did Brian know which girls he could pick on and which ones he couldn't?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

remigious posted:

I used to work in the target photo lab and we had this one guy that would come in with a roll of film full of pics of his own rear end in a top hat. The worst part was he would loving stand there and watch for the 20 minutes plus while I developed and printed the film.
I would just pretend I didn't notice the contents of the photos in an attempt to deny him the satisfaction he was looking for.

I'm like 2 weeks late but lmfao this guy rules

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

When I worked retail it was in the early 90s when I was at uni and pretty much every shop you went into was maybe one old person who had been there forever who did the openings during the week and a bunch of young people working part time for all the weekends, nights and closings.

Now, in my area over the past few years, we've had the Holden plant close, the Ford plant close, the Toyota plant close, the Alcoa aluminium smelter close and the large carpet manufacturer close. With all the ancillary companies closing as well because there's no one left to sell to, this has meant about 70% of the "good" blue collar jobs within 300km are just gone.

Tens of thousands of people who thought they had a job for life are totally hosed.

Now you walk into a retail store and most of the staff are in their 40s and 50s because they have mortgages and families and there's literally nowhere else and it's just a loving tragedy.

Why don't they move somewhere else that has jobs? Why stay in an economically depressed area with "mortgages and families" if you can't pay for it?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Firehouse subs suck poo poo. Love that greasy disgusting sang... Yuck

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fits my needs posted:

Why don't they move somewhere else that has jobs? Why stay in an economically depressed area with "mortgages and families" if you can't pay for it?

You can refinance your loan for another 30 years to make payments because itll never be worth any money again so selling it is realizing a massive loss, and you may actually still owe money when the sale finishes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fits my needs posted:

Thanks for playing Retard's Advocate on this issue.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

fits my needs posted:

Target Corporate isn't bad for pay I guess

Are you loving kidding me? I got a 3 cent raise one year.
They also made us watch anti-union videos.
Whoops my bad, I missed the "corporate" part.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You guys are right it's probably easier for these folks to fake a work injury, go on disability and get addicted to prescription opioids and eventually OD on heroin.

:votegop:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm merely expressing how nice it is not to have to worry about antiquated blue laws. Cool off.

i actually meant to quote that idiot pizza avatar dude my bad

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Starman Super DX posted:

I was told that Quiznos went out of business because many of them were franchises but still had corporate impose all of these sales and coupons and poo poo that they just couldn't keep up with.

They had a good marketing team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZrks-BPeLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LQpRQh2KSQ

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

SpacePig posted:

e: I also once got docked hours for selling cigarettes to a 25 year old, because "company policy" was card everyone under 26.

What does this mean your hours got "docked"? Like you were scheduled for fewer hours during subsequent weeks? Or that you had money taken out of your check for hours you'd already worked? I would go on a loving shooting spree if its the latter.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

epsilon posted:

What does this mean your hours got "docked"? Like you were scheduled for fewer hours during subsequent weeks? Or that you had money taken out of your check for hours you'd already worked? I would go on a loving shooting spree if its the latter.

I don't even think it's legal to dock someone's pay, but in retail if a manager doesn't like you he might just not schedule you and that's extremely common.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

The Walrus posted:

Mistakes are commonly made by those in the retail industry.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Walrus posted:

Ah, I didn't realize. That dude's a massive oval office.
:respek:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

Mistakes are commonly made by those in the retail industry.

oh boy here comes forums user Glenn Quebec to make some pithy remarks about retail, get owned by like 5 people in a row, and disappear for another few days :toot:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

When it comes to teasing you guys the highs are high.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

When it comes to teasing you guys the highs are high.

so you're saying you're easily amused by yourself :allears:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Yes.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Ocrassus posted:

I've heard that Apple are one of the less bad retailers. Apparently there's much less of the relentless targets focused approach to selling, which puts quite a lot of stress on people who I know working in tech retail.

I imagine that is somewhat counterbalanced by the need to maintain that kind of relentless positivity all the time though.

When I started at Apple the whole policy in sales was "get the customer exactly what they need, don't sell them stuff they don't." There was no pressure. A little after the iPhone came out, they became obsessed with Numbers and Attachments (useless garbage no one needed--- Pro Care and .mac/Mobile Me). I believe this was started by that rear end in a top hat who made JC Penney fail. I always had bad numbers because I didn't want to give someone poo poo they didn't need. I am a nice person unfortunately lol. It also sucked because we had two attachments (Apple Care and One to One) that actually WERE good, legitimately, but because people expected to be convinced when you tried to sell them the useless attachments, they wouldn't get the good ones. And management didn't care if you sold a lot of Apple care if you didn't also sell a lot of Pro Care. PC was such garbage that you would get super high praise at the next huddle if you sold one.

I don't know if it's still like that in sales because I don't buy anything there anymore, but the Ganius bar definitely went from a "help the customer" standpoint to "refuse to repair clearly token products because $$$" standpoint. I'm an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician so I know what the gently caress I'm doing and how to diagnose issues, but the assholes always deny me service. "Well you see here this diagnostic says it's fine" no it isn't you rear end in a top hat I know more than you, dumbass! I tried to talk to the manager once but I'm not rear end in a top hat-y enough to have been able to yell at her to get my stuff fixed.

The pressure about Attachments and Numbers, along with the garbage entitled rich customers, especially the rich moms with the can-I-talk-to-your-manager haircuts, caused many of the employees to develop drinking and/or drug problems. One guy called his day off his "freak out and get blasted" day. There were many times I would just lock myself in the bathroom for 15 minutes just to calm down.

Also, everyone was loving everyone else. The store manager and genius lead got fired for loving in back of house. She was morbidly obese and he was an extremely ugly twig of a man. Lots of people cheating on their spouses with coworkers. I hosed 3 people I worked with, some drama ensued.

Due to the garbage way the forced me to act (always smile and be submissive), I've become that way in life in general. It sucks rear end that I am super nice when I really shouldn't be, just because I was so brainwashed by retail work.

E: Starbucks employees always look like they want to die. They must have a work environment a million times worse than any other place. The other day I got a drink and asked for whipped cream. The lady forgot to add the whipped cream so I super nicely asked, "sorry, could I have whipped cream on it?" And she stared me in the eyes with such anger like she was ready to beat me to death :(

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 30, 2017

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Thin Privilege posted:

E: Starbucks employees always look like they want to die. They must have a work environment a million times worse than any other place. The other day I got a drink and asked for whipped cream. The lady forgot to add the whipped cream so I super nicely asked, "sorry, could I have whipped cream on it?" And she stared me in the eyes with such anger like she was ready to beat me to death :(
I actually worked in a Starbucks so I can field this one.

Starbucks is a fast food place that desperately wants you to think it's not a fast food place. The shifts are assembly-line affairs with little downtime unless you're crazy efficient and very agile about your tasks. You're simultaneously expected to give bespoke drink service to regulars and develop a relaxing atmosphere for the customers, the whole "neighborhood coffee shop" vibe. This dissonance really wears on you, until you find yourself snapping and getting pissy at customers who you know don't deserve it just because they're breaking your flow. If you're riding the wave, so to speak, it's actually a pretty good environment as far as fast food-- decent atmosphere and music, coffee doesn't usually smell like poo poo, part-time health insurance, etc. etc. If you're not, you want to start banging on everything behind the bar with a wrench and leave.

Like, we had this regular who would come in 10 minutes to close on totally random days and order a minimum of 6 drinks, which would require us to use nearly every drink-making apparatus in the bar. Frappucinos, lattes, coffee, smoothies, iced teas, all of it. We never knew when she was coming in, so every night where we were ahead of the game and had the place all clean and she came in, you honestly would rather have had her just take a poo poo on the floor and leave instead of coming to the register and order.

Plus y'know, there are always occasional customers who want you to remake their drink because they didn't realize 6 pumps of mocha would make their frappucino turn into a chocolate golem during the middle of a rush, so that creates bad association.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

mind the walrus posted:

I actually worked in a Starbucks so I can field this one.

Starbucks is a fast food place that desperately wants you to think it's not a fast food place. The shifts are assembly-line affairs with little downtime unless you're crazy efficient and very agile about your tasks. You're simultaneously expected to give bespoke drink service to regulars and develop a relaxing atmosphere for the customers, the whole "neighborhood coffee shop" vibe. This dissonance really wears on you, until you find yourself snapping and getting pissy at customers who you know don't deserve it just because they're breaking your flow. If you're riding the wave, so to speak, it's actually a pretty good environment as far as fast food-- decent atmosphere and music, coffee doesn't usually smell like poo poo, part-time health insurance, etc. etc. If you're not, you want to start banging on everything behind the bar with a wrench and leave.

Like, we had this regular who would come in 10 minutes to close on totally random days and order a minimum of 6 drinks, which would require us to use nearly every drink-making apparatus in the bar. Frappucinos, lattes, coffee, smoothies, iced teas, all of it. We never knew when she was coming in, so every night where we were ahead of the game and had the place all clean and she came in, you honestly would rather have had her just take a poo poo on the floor and leave instead of coming to the register and order.

Plus y'know, there are always occasional customers who want you to remake their drink because they didn't realize 6 pumps of mocha would make their frappucino turn into a chocolate golem during the middle of a rush, so that creates bad association.

:murder:

What an rear end in a top hat, surely they noticed the closing time on the door or did they just not care?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zil posted:

What an rear end in a top hat, surely they noticed the closing time on the door or did they just not care?

Yeah that sucks and also speaks to bad management because I've had plenty of places right before close tell me "oh we can't make ___ because we already cleaned/put away/whatever the thing that makes it" and it's a really weird thing to actually see people get mad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zil posted:

They knew, and did not care, and because they were pumping so much money into the store on a regular basis the management was like "Yeah it sucks. Just deal with it."

• Locked thread