Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking forward to trying out the Palace of the Dead. Seems like a neat idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I bet a lot of sprout summoners get to 66 and then are like "wait where's miasma 2"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Honestly it makes more sense to me to lock "ancient magic" behind Enochian rather than tier IV spells, so Fire IV being named "Flare" and Blizzard IV being named "Freeze" seems cleaner if the game were published today. But obviously it'd be much more confusing to rename everything now.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The numbering system gives us Jolt II, which sounds like Bolt 2, which is the kind of old-school naming I can get behind.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

The numbering system is kinda goofy because you have stuff like Thunder 1 & 3 being single target while 2 & 4 are AOE, but fire and blizzard 1 3 and 4 are single target while 2 is aoe, but blizzard 2 is a point blank aoe... I suppose they could have swapped flare and fire 4's, so they have the same pattern of odds are single target, evens are aoe, but then that'd remove the enochian = level 4 spells.

Even then, the Enochian = level 4 spells thing is only true in 2 out of 3 cases, because Thunder IV doesn't require it (because it's just a straight upgrade from Thunder II).

Incidentally, Thunder being a DoT never made sense to me but I guess there had to be some place in the rotation for Thunder spells.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

The numbering system is kinda goofy because you have stuff like Thunder 1 & 3 being single target while 2 & 4 are AOE, but fire and blizzard 1 3 and 4 are single target while 2 is aoe, but blizzard 2 is a point blank aoe... I suppose they could have swapped flare and fire 4's, so they have the same pattern of odds are single target, evens are aoe, but then that'd remove the enochian = level 4 spells.

I remember reading a dev post about the spell naming and as I recall there was a lot of division over whether to go with the Japanese suffixes or a numbered system. Their logic boiled down to 'the naming conventions didn't make logical sense no matter how we sliced them so we just went with the order you gained them.'

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Limit breaks aren't (rightfully) credited to you in ACT so you should never use them or else you'll ruin your hot deeps.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Oxyclean posted:

The best part of the english localization for ability numbering is how SMN skips from Miasma 1 to Miasma 3, with Miasma 2 no where to be found. :downs:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

Limit breaks aren't (rightfully) credited to you in ACT so you should never use them or else you'll ruin your hot deeps.

I'm the smelliest sweatiest ACT parsing try-hard when it comes to dungeons and 24-mans because I love huge numbers, but I'm an even bigger fan of looking extremely drat cool at the expense of trashing my parse or possibly even dying.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

All three of the free companies are nearly identical except for the no-spoiler policy in TPT.

PBC has a no spoilers for current patch rule as well and god drat I yell at nerds every other day for it. If you're in PBC and you're reading this, stop trying to rules lawyer what is and isn't a spoiler. Yes, the name of the final boss is a spoiler and I am going to loving kick the next person who tries to argue it isn't, consequences be damned.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Has Lustrate always had a 1s recast? I swear I remember being able to (accidentally or otherwise) dump all my aetherflow in like a second by mashing the button...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
General question to all Excaligoons: Anybody got their CRP up to 65 yet? I need an HQ Pine Fishing Rod so I can stop losing so many drat fish, and I don't think TPT has one up yet.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Velthice posted:

PBC has a no spoilers for current patch rule as well and god drat I yell at nerds every other day for it. If you're in PBC and you're reading this, stop trying to rules lawyer what is and isn't a spoiler. Yes, the name of the final boss is a spoiler and I am going to loving kick the next person who tries to argue it isn't, consequences be damned.

I'm not sure if DGKK has a no spoilers policy but I haven't seen any spoilers in the chat and I appreciate you all for it

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

While I'd love it if they shifted the MSQ or just added extensive sidequests to revisit city storylines, I don't think it should end with us solving everything. The problems of the three (well, four but Ishgard is actually kinda trying given recent societal upheaval) city-states are more rooted in social issues and wouldn't feel appropriate if you could solve them by defeating a boss. Defeating the leader of the Coeurlclaws won't unfuck the underlying social pressures that lead to their formation for instance.

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away
Why the hell is samurai so fun, damit...

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Countblanc posted:

All three of the free companies are nearly identical except for the no-spoiler policy in TPT.

there's more anime in dgkk, this could be construed as a plus or a minus.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

TheRagamuffin posted:

Has Lustrate always had a 1s recast? I swear I remember being able to (accidentally or otherwise) dump all my aetherflow in like a second by mashing the button...

Yeah it has been.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Harrow posted:

Also I think my favorite caster LB3 might still be Meteor, because I love how the Black Mage just throws their arms wide as it descends, like "LOOK AT THIS poo poo, THIS IS AMAZING"

RDM takes a small bow as the hellfire erupts.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

I have never, ever seen a black mage using Fire 2 on a single target. In fact I often see the exact opposite, where black mages use their single target spells in a massive pull.

You sweet summer child.

Today I got a dragoon that didn't AOE and a black mage that did 1k dps to bosses on my expert roulette, so both bosses *and* trash packs too forever.

Luckily the tails sticker I got from that gave me two lines and a khloe minion, so I guess karma is a thing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Malthuras posted:

It's a walking Cuisinart with the amazing ability to drop dead the moment you rip hate from the overtaxed no str tank.

Creating a churning cloud of numbers over a trash pull and then stabbing their boss in the rear end for 20k+ is great fun. Don't forget to take Distraction as a role action because if you are any good you'll be needing it a lot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

RDM takes a small bow as the hellfire erupts.

:golfclap:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
delete balmung

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i got gibbed on drg because somehow i was number two on the enmity charts despite having two sam and a rdm with me

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm not sure if DGKK has a no spoilers policy but I haven't seen any spoilers in the chat and I appreciate you all for it

someone said they liked yda when she wasn't lyse. A few people got mad. I laughed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Malthuras posted:

It's a blast, yeah. The game's been out for a while now and I'm still impossibly torn between it and red mage, they're both at level 62 because I can't stop changing my mind :(

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's a blast, yeah. The game's been out for a while now and I'm still impossibly torn between it and red mage, they're both at level 62 because I can't stop changing my mind :(

:same:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have resolved this issue by not starting rdm until I get my sam to 70.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I always just thought that was just "Yeah you're doing it now but canonically your WoL did this during the expac it was part of."

AFAIK someone said it's in level order. Level 50 quests always happen before level 51 quests in the timeline etc.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like the level=timeline idea

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I love how the samaurai unlock quest is basically you wandering by an old guy and him chucking an uchigatana at you with "You'll do."

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
The other difference between the three FCs, from what I understand, is also TPT is much quicker on shutting down offensive jokes and talk about bodily functions.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

POTD 51-60 gives 60 Verity if done at 70.

Why even bother with the 30 minute wait roulettes then???

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
ah yes, unlike glorious pbc and dgkk where racist and sexist jokes fly freely unrestrained as the good lord intended

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
here's my hot take on the fc's: they're all literally exactly the same but are full of people convinced that they're in "the good one"

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I picked the one that was aligned with the gc I'm in. I have no idea what that effects, if anything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Velthice posted:

here's my hot take on the fc's: they're all literally exactly the same but are full of people convinced that they're in "the good one"

Yeah near as I can tell the differences are down to

- TPT is strict on spoilers
- PBC has Macro Monday (i get the sense from linkshells that the other two don't participate in this fine, proud tradition; please correct me if I'm wrong)

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kurieg posted:

I love how the samaurai unlock quest is basically you wandering by an old guy and him chucking an uchigatana at you with "You'll do."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly I picked the FC with the name I liked the best, that was pretty much the extent of my decision-making process

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I liked bort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I picked DGKK because it's the FFXI FC.