Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

pubic works project posted:

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/880447697559343105

Who wants a dumb, oft-injured, racist Australian on their team????

Anyone who needs defense and screen setting. When he is healthy he is a very useful player

He is a dirty shithead, ... and if you expect to get more than 18 minutes a game or 60 games a year out of him, you are a fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Boosh! posted:

My man. My dad was a on the CCNY JV team. Got no burn though.

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/880454768061284352

That's pretty cool, I guess you could say we're both City College legacies then.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

And yet [Dolan]'s far far far away from being the worst NBA owner.

Yep. And let me tell you about this Danny Snyder fellow over in the NFL....

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

oh no, our cap is destroyed by chris paul, what a waste of money :(

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Ammanas posted:

This made me realize I'd never seen Sam Presti before. Not quite what I imagined. He does look like an rear end in a top hat though

Don't you know by now that you can never trust Littlefinger?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/VICESports/status/880501188621471748

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Punkin Spunkin posted:

hey
heyheyheyehey
remember this?

that was cool

i remember

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
There's no way Morey would trade for a full-price Melo, he's not stupid. Nobody here is really saying that but I'm seeing it everywhere else.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/basketballvalue/status/880522558080245761

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

I look forward to the garbage fire the East is gonna be (I mean even more so) when Butler, Lowry, PG13 and Milsap all leave for the West

Sixers gonna make the playoffs

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

EvanTH posted:

There's no way Morey would trade for a full-price Melo, he's not stupid. Nobody here is really saying that but I'm seeing it everywhere else.
hypothetically swapping Ryan Anderson for him is not totally insane, depending on if there are other particulars to a deal. Melo is older and his contract is bigger, but both have 3 more years at 20mil+. I'm not saying it is a good idea, just not totally far fetched. But yeah, I basically agree.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I hope he leaves in the free agency.

predicto posted:

Anyone who needs defense and screen setting. When he is healthy he is a very useful player

He is a dirty shithead, ... and if you expect to get more than 18 minutes a game or 60 games a year out of him, you are a fool.

Dude would regularly not make attempts to even walk to the other side of the court during the brief periods he was healthy this past season. I wouldn't want him back on the Mavs for free with an extra roster spot.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

Morey picking up all these new guys so he can have someone to play Halo with.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Dude would regularly not make attempts to even walk to the other side of the court during the brief periods he was healthy this past season. I wouldn't want him back on the Mavs for free with an extra roster spot.

That's the shithead part of the equation. Neverthless, when he buys in and is healthy he is still a top 5 defensive big, with incredible instincts on cutting off angles and when to drop off and help.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Away all Goats posted:

I look forward to the garbage fire the East is gonna be (I mean even more so) when Butler, Lowry, PG13 and Milsap all leave for the West

2018 All-Star game going to be the Western Conference All-Stars vs the Cleveland Cavaliers

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
man it's weird how a bunch of players become assholes and quit on the mavs, and yet go to other teams play hard and contribute positively to the culture.

:thunk:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

ok, here's my question.

Can anyone explain to me how Houston didn't break the tampering rules with this CP3 thing?

I don't mean contact between CP3 and Harden and the other Rockets players. That's fine, but it is clear that there was substantial direct contact and negotiation between CP3 and Rockets management as well. Free agency hadn't started and CP3 was still under contract with the Clippers.

Am I missing something?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

predicto posted:

That's the shithead part of the equation. Neverthless, when he buys in and is healthy he is still a top 5 defensive big, with incredible instincts on cutting off angles and when to drop off and help.

I really think that Bogut ceased to exist since his Finals injury, maybe I'll be proven wrong this season.

Dexo posted:

man it's weird how a bunch of players become assholes and quit on the mavs, and yet go to other teams play hard and contribute positively to the culture.

Rondo almost got kicked off the Bulls on Rondo bobblehead night, the first half of the season still happened. He just tried hard down the stretch to make sure he could get paid again. Bogut has yet to be a positive contribution since leaving the Mavs.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

predicto posted:

ok, here's my question.

Can anyone explain to me how Houston didn't break the tampering rules with this CP3 thing?

I don't mean contact between CP3 and Harden and the other Rockets players. That's fine, but it is clear that there was substantial direct contact and negotiation between CP3 and Rockets management as well. Free agency hadn't started and CP3 was still under contract with the Clippers.

Am I missing something?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/la-sp-paul-rockets-tampering-20170628-story.html

basically yeah probably but im guessing they ran a lot of it through Harden

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

G-Hawk posted:

hypothetically swapping Ryan Anderson for him is not totally insane, depending on if there are other particulars to a deal. Melo is older and his contract is bigger, but both have 3 more years at 20mil+. I'm not saying it is a good idea, just not totally far fetched. But yeah, I basically agree.

It would be a bit odd to see Morey completely retool his team by getting CP3 (excellent mid-range shooter who's 18ft pullup jumper is a key part of his game) and Carmelo (good mid-range shooter who's 16ft backdown iso turnaround fadeaway jumper clanging off the rim whilst Porzingis is switched onto a 6'6" guy under the rim is a key part of his game) and, on the surface at least, going against Moreyball principles.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

tanglewood1420 posted:

It would be a bit odd to see Morey completely retool his team by getting CP3 (excellent mid-range shooter who's 18ft pullup jumper is a key part of his game) and Carmelo (good mid-range shooter who's 16ft backdown iso turnaround fadeaway jumper clanging off the rim whilst Porzingis is switched onto a 6'6" guy under the rim is a key part of his game) and, on the surface at least, going against Moreyball principles.

Morey's abiding principle has basically always been chase stars by any means possible and figure out how to fit the style, role players, etc around them. I mean, the no mid range 3s and layups stuff is really only the last couple of years, Morey chased and signed Dwight howard, he went after Chris Bosh, etc. I think he is generally flexible and (probably correctly) believes the NBA right now is just about trying to land superstars and nothing else matters.

His obsession with efficiency and stomping out the midrange has more to do with I think trying to hack a way to compete when his team has less talent, which has been the case, but having more talent is more important than taking exactly the right shots.

Also, fwiw, Morey chased Carmelo years ago.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 29, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I am excited to potentially have a reason to be mean to Gordon Hayward on the internet again and accuse him of various war crimes. I really missed that in my life after he went and became a good basketball player for my favorite team like a jerk. Silver lining.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

aBagorn posted:

Sixers gonna make the playoffs

Sure, why not? Are there even eight decent teams in the East?

Cavs
Celts
Wizards
Bucks
Raptors without Lowry?

Who's ahead of them if they're healthy? Charlotte? Whatever the Hawks look like without Milsap? The second-half-of-last-season Heat? I feel like all three of those teams would have to overperform for the Sixers to stay out. Again, if they're healthy, which I suppose is them overperforming.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dexo posted:

I'll send you my newsletter.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Spacebump posted:

I really think that Bogut ceased to exist since his Finals injury, maybe I'll be proven wrong this season.

Rondo almost got kicked off the Bulls on Rondo bobblehead night, the first half of the season still happened. He just tried hard down the stretch to make sure he could get paid again. Bogut has yet to be a positive contribution since leaving the Mavs.

I'm not talking about playing, I know what Rondo is when it comes to his playing nowadays. I said culture. Rondo the entire year was great for the non Butler/Wade's on the team.

Dude went to Summer league and helped out, dude drove down to Hoffman Estates(Hour+ commute from downtown) for D-League games when he had the day open to work with like Portis and the other garbage young players who got sent down. He managed to beat Wade, and Butler in a goddamn PR fight by standing up for the younglings.

Where the same dudes who were trying to jettison him halfway through the year were singing about his leadership and talking about bringing him back the next year.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dexo posted:

I'm not talking about playing, I know what Rondo is when it comes to his playing nowadays. I said culture. Rondo the entire year was great for the non Butler/Wade's on the team.

Dude went to Summer league and helped out, dude drove down to Hoffman Estates(Hour+ commute from downtown) for D-League games when he had the day open to work with like Portis and the other garbage young players who got sent down. He managed to beat Wade, and Butler in a goddamn PR fight by standing up for the younglings.

Where the same dudes who were trying to jettison him halfway through the year were singing about his leadership and talking about bringing him back the next year.

Rondo also turned Monta Ellis against the Mavs and kept whispering into his ear about why he should hate Parsons. He also would harass a ref ,Bill Kennedy, by calling him gay slurs. Dude is a piece of poo poo.

Mavs helped changed the perception of now popular old guys Vince Carter (known as a quitter before coming to Dallas) and Richard Jefferson (why is in the league.) Maybe some guys just aren't meant for certain teams.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

G-Hawk posted:

Morey's abiding principle has basically always been chase stars by any means possible and figure out how to fit the style, role players, etc around them. I mean, the no mid range 3s and layups stuff is really only the last couple of years, Morey chased and signed Dwight howard, he went after Chris Bosh, etc. I think he is generally flexible and (probably correctly) believes the NBA right now is just about trying to land superstars and nothing else matters.

His obsession with efficiency and stomping out the midrange has more to do with I think trying to hack a way to compete when his team has less talent, which has been the case, but having more talent is more important than taking exactly the right shots.

Also, fwiw, Morey chased Carmelo years ago.

Also CP3 and Melo are both pretty good spot up 3pt shooters.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Did Gregg Popovich grow up in Germany or something?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Dexo posted:

Also CP3 and Melo are both pretty good spot up 3pt shooters.

That too. I admittedly haven't watched him a lot recently because lol why, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people forgot Carmelo Anthony is still really good at basketball because lol knicks

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/880532053946650625

MourningView posted:

I am excited to potentially have a reason to be mean to Gordon Hayward on the internet again and accuse him of various war crimes. I really missed that in my life after he went and became a good basketball player for my favorite team like a jerk. Silver lining.

I'm glad things might be working out for you again, friend.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It never hurts to have more ways to score.

That was seemingly the problem with the Rockets in the Playoffs. Harden was pretty much the only one who could create efficiently for himself. You know the shooters that they have aren't going to be able to beat and punish most defenses by themselves.

CP3 can definitely do that, and Melo can as well if it comes down to it.

The only problem with this is getting the players to buy in and play how they are gonna need to play to be successful.(especially if Melo does get bought out and signs or gets traded to them)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/880531838288244736

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Dexo posted:

It never hurts to have more ways to score.

That was seemingly the problem with the Rockets in the Playoffs. Harden was pretty much the only one who could create efficiently for himself. You know the shooters that they have aren't going to be able to beat and punish most defenses by themselves.

CP3 can definitely do that, and Melo can as well if it comes down to it.

The only problem with this is getting the players to buy in and play how they are gonna need to play to be successful.(especially if Melo does get bought out and signs or gets traded to them)

Agree, Carmelo is firmly in a "could really work if he wants it to work" spot that could also be a disaster. But god, that lineup would be hellish to try to play defense against.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/BA_Turner/status/880532897056210944

I don't get it but at least it's not Paul Millsap

e: oh they're going to meet with Millsap too. lol

Space Camp fuckup fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 29, 2017

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/880529340877996033

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'm gonna text Jimmy Butler and ask him if I should change my loyalties to the Wolves or stick out with the Mavs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

I'm gonna text Jimmy Butler and ask him if I should change my loyalties to the Wolves or stick out with the Mavs.

Facetime is better

https://mobile.twitter.com/Howsito/status/880520408868564992

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

He's talking about Micky Arison's explicit financing and construction of new settlements in Palestine contravention of a million UN rulings and treaties http://mondoweiss.net/2013/06/the-har-homa-heat-meet-the-settlement-building-family-that-owns-the-miami-heat/ and Dan Gilbert's subprime lending. Mickey Arison's foundational crime is breaking the unions on his dad's cruise line with mercenaries flown in via helicopter and that leading to the collapse of the American merchant shipping union

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Has anybody said anything recently about how the NBA is the best league?

• Locked thread