Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

How did SE seriously not figure out the "it's always the rock at the bottom of the threat list" thing

I imagine they noticed but since the mechanic is trivially bypassed by marking the rock the didn't overly worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Haquer posted:

Man I'm glad I had those pubbies there to help me, oh--

:laffo:

after doing a bunch of lakshmi ex, the normal one's almost harder (with pubbie dps) because of how she stacks mechanics. she always does the meteor when she's doing the line nukes where everyone spreads out, it's kinda awkward and it ends up killing people since at least 3 or 4 people need to soak the meteor to live.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ImpAtom posted:

I imagine they noticed but since the mechanic is trivially bypassed by marking the rock the didn't overly worry about it.

Just imagine if they found a way to put the same mark on all the rocks, or scramble random marks onto all the rocks. :allears:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

Mechanics people can't grasp:

"If you have a purple marker over your head please don't stand in the middle of the party."
"If you have a swirling marker on you please don't move."
"The person is always in the 4th rock."
"Please look for the cloud before dodging.."

Mechanics people can grasp:
"I'm gonna block that loving sword so hard."

Had a group wipe last night because the tank didn't block the sword. He thought you just had to stand there, not actually click the thing. Was quite hilarious.

Minrad posted:

after doing a bunch of lakshmi ex, the normal one's almost harder (with pubbie dps) because of how she stacks mechanics. she always does the meteor when she's doing the line nukes where everyone spreads out, it's kinda awkward and it ends up killing people since at least 3 or 4 people need to soak the meteor to live.

Yeah, that line/stack bit is kinda cruel. There's not likely to be any communication as the where the lines are going and if anyone tunnel visions (which they are likely to do) then that person is dead. Saw two poor bastards get completely smote because nobody else stacked with them.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just imagine if they found a way to put the same mark on all the rocks, or scramble random marks onto all the rocks. :allears:

Or completely black out the target's UI so they can't see where they are!

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

So as of Stormblood, I can confirm the bug used to modify any characters in the following way is now fixed and can no longer be reproduced.
Plus I can finally share some character creation findings. :toot:

Cutscene Only Skin Tone
Used early on in the Black Mage class quest starter and the Hildebrand questline for the unknown antagonist.
A grey skin color also exists.

Crystal Tower Red Eyes
Only seen during the Crystal Tower Questline on G'raha Tia and the Royal Clones.

Mide's Blue Eyes
Bright blue eye color unique to Mide.

Bright Red Hair
Debug Color? Never seen ingame.

Hidden Highlights
Never seen ingame, however 16 unique highlights could be found.
Pictured is Bright Yellow on White, more can be seen in other photos in this post.

Unique Lipcolor
A very dark red lip color could also be found, most likely for a cutscene NPC.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 8, 2017

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Wait TPT is giving up the prime real estate its got? How tragic.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Bright blue eyes might be Mide's base color without her darker blue/purple Limbal rings.

Best image I could quickly find on Google.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lemon King posted:

So as of Stormblood, I can confirm the bug used to modify any characters in the following way is now fixed and can no longer be reproduced.

Was this stuff that only appeared during chargen, or could other people see the weirdness as well?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Brainamp posted:

Was this stuff that only appeared during chargen, or could other people see the weirdness as well?

Everyone can see it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I just noticed that the NPCs hanging out at the SSS area in the Fringes are the Mantravilles. Glad they found some work after their adventures with Hildebrand. :3:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I've been leveling an Archer and I swear there's something screwy going on with Heavy Shot's 20% chance to proc Straighter Shot. It genuinely feels way more like 10%. Every time I check how many procs I got after a boss fight (and as a sub-30 Archer I do basically nothing else except Heavy Shot in boss fights aside from refreshing durations) it's hovering between 5% and 10%.

This has been going on over three days. Am I having an exceptional run of bad luck / clustering illusion, or is there something going on?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Is Menagerie Attack Tidal Wave used anywhere else in the game? Like, what a dick skill to start with there.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Is Menagerie Attack Tidal Wave used anywhere else in the game? Like, what a dick skill to start with there.
Its a take off on Levi, but that's also the reason that its the first move it uses.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

It's called that, but it's effectively both that and Leviathan's Body Slam. The fight cycles through a lot of the big attacks that the Primals have but a few of them have a couple new features. Tidal Wave has Body Slams mechanic linked to it. Hellfire gives Burns. Aerial Blast is a tornado that has the opposite effect of the Dusk Vigil Griffin's tornado to knock you off the arena, before it does its big damage. Tidal Wave only shows up once though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's fully the opposite of that move though

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Skaw posted:

Tidal Wave only shows up once though.

Demonstrably false.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I mean like, better it's the first thing that happens than 10 minutes in for a surprise wipe

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm really glad the Stormblood launch EX primals are accessible. Never gone after EX primals when they were relevent/endgame but Lakshmi and Susano are just challenging enough to be interesting.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

It's a reference to FF5 Shinryu, who also likes to immediately crush your dreams with a Tidal Wave. Now if only they could have contrived a way for him to be inside a treasure chest.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

isk posted:

I'm really glad the Stormblood launch EX primals are accessible. Never gone after EX primals when they were relevent/endgame but Lakshmi and Susano are just challenging enough to be interesting.
Yeah, that was intentional as far as I know.

quote:

Alphr: What have you learned from releasing Heavensward that’s led into the development of Stormblood?

NY: So personally the biggest lesson was that the comments from players about the difficulty of dungeons is not something we can rely on!
During the 2.X series we implemented the Binding Hall of Bahamut, but player reaction was, “Oh that’s too easy, I can just do it easily”. So, for Heavensward, we made two versions: a Normal and a Savage version. Feedback then showed that Savage was just to difficult and too hard to beat. So, we intentionally make something difficult and the only response is that “Oh my god this is so difficult, why did you make it so difficult?”
We implemented the last floor of the Alexander the Creator dungeon and, difficulty wise, it’s a little tougher than the last hall of Bahamut and so a lot of players managed to clear it. The feedback we got was, “Oh man, that was just so easy”. We learnt that the best difficulty for raid dungeons were ones that many players could still beat, but still delivered a bit of a challenge. That’s a threshold we want to keep for the future.
However, we know the need from those hardcore players that they really want brutal, extremely hard modes, so for the 4.0 version and beyond we want to have the really difficult content implemented in the odd numbered patches. This is officially for super-skilled players! However, we want to remind you, please do not make any comments that they’re still too easy!

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skaw posted:

It's called that, but it's effectively both that and Leviathan's Body Slam. The fight cycles through a lot of the big attacks that the Primals have but a few of them have a couple new features. Tidal Wave has Body Slams mechanic linked to it. Hellfire gives Burns. Aerial Blast is a tornado that has the opposite effect of the Dusk Vigil Griffin's tornado to knock you off the arena, before it does its big damage. Tidal Wave only shows up once though.

hahaha, no, it absolutely does not only show up once, and its a real treat when you get the guaranteed wipe wombo combo with it when the waterspout will push onto a side of the field that doesn't have blocks lined up in a way you can actually survive

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

yoshida's response on the difficulty of gordias is a funny one because it wasn't JUST that the fights were nail-bitingly hard that was a problem with that patch

a3s not dropping any weapon upgrades was a really big problem because it continued to be insanely hard to beat a3s until you beat a4s, when you finally could get weapon upgrades

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

sword_man.gif posted:

hahaha, no, it absolutely does not only show up once, and its a real treat when you get the guaranteed wipe wombo combo with it when the waterspout will push onto a side of the field that doesn't have blocks lined up in a way you can actually survive

Knockback resist works on Tidal Wave. At the very least, Healer, Caster (Surecast for both), and Melee (Arm's Length) role skills all have an option that gives you knockback resist.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I just hit 70 on NIN and am wondering what the opener is now that I have Ten Chi Jin...I'm finding the ability awkward at the moment.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What does Ninja contribute to PvP exactly? Their ninjutsu does piddy poo poo damage while the effects on them last about half a second, their combos equally do crap damage while the only thing worth anything has a 30 second cooldown timer. Every other DPS class does a hundred million times more damage than they do. As far as I can tell, they can disrupt the healer for two seconds before they cast their group heal that heals everyone back up to full, then get annihilated because healers are surrounded by every other member of the raid.

Am I missing something here?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

don't play frontlines and expect balance or a use for melee classes

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Minrad posted:

Even compared to other melee, Ninja doesn't do much of anything. I just tested. My monk's combo does 3x the damage the ninja does.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Lemon King posted:

Cutscene Only Skin Tone
Used early on in the Black Mage class quest starter and the Hildebrand questline for the unknown antagonist.
A grey skin color also exists.

Crystal Tower Red Eyes
Only seen during the Crystal Tower Questline on G'raha Tia and the Royal Clones.

Mide's Blue Eyes
Bright blue eye color unique to Mide.

Bright Red Hair
Debug Color? Never seen ingame.

Hidden Highlights
Never seen ingame, however 16 unique highlights could be found.
Pictured is Bright Yellow on White, more can be seen in other photos in this post.

Unique Lipcolor
A very dark red lip color could also be found, most likely for a cutscene NPC.

If people did this before it was fixed will they still have those features? So cool and I'm jealous I never knew.

E: also I'm guessing you can't replicate them by downloading the appearance data of a character that has any of these features and loading it in the creator? I love messing with chargen.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 30, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jimbot posted:

What does Ninja contribute to PvP exactly? Their ninjutsu does piddy poo poo damage while the effects on them last about half a second, their combos equally do crap damage while the only thing worth anything has a 30 second cooldown timer. Every other DPS class does a hundred million times more damage than they do. As far as I can tell, they can disrupt the healer for two seconds before they cast their group heal that heals everyone back up to full, then get annihilated because healers are surrounded by every other member of the raid.

What you're missing is teammates that can back you up and help burst down your target. Frontlines is all about separating and erasing a single target before their healers have a chance to save them. Your main thing for this is using Kakuremi to hide and then Assassinate to apply a 10% vuln on the focus target. Hyoton is also really good for snagging people from a group that's running away from you, and Bhavacakra is great for straight up burst damage. You can also Shukuchi all over the place. If you're in a premade group you can really rack up kills, but if you're queueing solo, you're probably not going to be able to accomplish much.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Minrad posted:

Samurai are absolute terrors against anything that doesn't have a WAR puppy guarding them. Dragoons are great for securing kills and getting away with it your jumps are on such a low cooldown that the world is your trampoline to zip around on. All 3 tanks are great. I don't have monk or ninja but of the two monk seems to do fine and only ninja has real issues consistently. Melee in PvP is fine.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/9c59749659a08d7101906f1389ca8ad89cb580c1

I guess your chance to go to Omega and play with eurogoons is gone

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Harrow posted:

Tataru is the most capable

I agree, Tataru is the only one capable of managing a merged goon guild.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
So the Stormblood MSQ has a few mentions of a Hyur and a Lalafell pair following you, e.g. here and here, and I don't think it ever got resolved who they were or why they were following us. I suppose it could be Raubahn and Pipin from the description but that doesn't make sense to me. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah but she is already running <<SCN7>>

jalapeno_dude posted:

So the Stormblood MSQ has a few mentions of a Hyur and a Lalafell pair following you, e.g. here and here, and I don't think it ever got resolved who they were or why they were following us. I suppose it could be Raubahn and Pipin from the description but that doesn't make sense to me. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

It might be Laurentis(?) and Yuyuhase (that deep-voiced little shite)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

What you're missing is teammates that can back you up and help burst down your target. Frontlines is all about separating and erasing a single target before their healers have a chance to save them. Your main thing for this is using Kakuremi to hide and then Assassinate to apply a 10% vuln on the focus target. Hyoton is also really good for snagging people from a group that's running away from you, and Bhavacakra is great for straight up burst damage. You can also Shukuchi all over the place. If you're in a premade group you can really rack up kills, but if you're queueing solo, you're probably not going to be able to accomplish much.

This sound advice. I came off more severe than I really felt. It's what happens when you flat-out loving lose 10 in a row as Flame. I swear this side is trash 90% of the day.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Jimbot posted:

This sound advice. I came off more severe than I really felt. It's what happens when you flat-out loving lose 10 in a row as Flame. I swear this side is trash 90% of the day.

they are lol

I don't look forward to getting mael and adders horse and having no good reason not to just play flames :suicide:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kongming posted:

I just hit 70 on NIN and am wondering what the opener is now that I have Ten Chi Jin...I'm finding the ability awkward at the moment.

Save it for the 2nd round is what I feel has made sense. You won't have 80 Ninki in the first burst so it doesn't matter. But you can have over 80 and build up another 80 in the 2nd. So open as you used to. Suiton > TA > all the buttons. I put up the slashing debuff first. That might be inefficient for TAing the dot, but it makes it a lot easier to fit all the buttons in for me. Use Fumas until TA comes back. On this go you will be a killer. Use TCJ to get to Suiton. TA. Make sure you mug asap. Use Bhavacakra. Should be able to fit that, Duality AE, DWaD, Jugulate, and a Kassatsu Raiton in 10 seconds. If not, mash harder, I believe in you.

Jimbot posted:

I find I'm pretty low on kills, but crazy on assists. Usually around 15. You have to have worthwhile team mates to win Shatter. You can help a lot by poking. I use a LOT of throwing knives. You can snipe a guy while they're running. Even the slightest pressure will get someone to stop what they're doing and focus you. Good way to pull someone off ice. Silence is good for healer pressure. Bhavacakra is a straight up smasher. Try and hide whenever it makes sense to. Like if you and another are approaching an ice with two other lads on it from an opposing team. Hide, catch them off guard, reap ice.

But you're Flames, so lose forever.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm tempted to just join Adder or Mael. I could probably make what wins I have on Flame back within a day. It's not even that we lose. It happens. It just happens to be we lose hard because no one goes after the crystals. They're too busy playing grab-rear end in each other's bases.

Doesn't help that I'm kind of tired of being nuked and status effect out the rear end by one loving Bard. They need to tone that class down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Fister Roboto posted:

FF14 gets a little weird with the passage of time too. The upcoming Rising event will be the fourth year in a row of celebrating the fifth anniversary of the Calamity.

They can claim that no time is passing all they want, but given that we were able to watch npcs go from first meeting to having a child together over the course of the Heavensward patches it's pretty clear that it actually is.