Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Harlock posted:

I hope his real name is actually Doctor Who

I'm 100% certain that tease from that preview article about "revealing the Doctors real name" and "female Doctor" are based on that clip of Missy going "Hello, I'm Doctor Who"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

I'm 100% certain that tease from that preview article about "revealing the Doctors real name" and "female Doctor" are based on that clip of Missy going "Hello, I'm Doctor Who"

The "female doctor" one definitely is, and the "real name" one is probably something equally ;)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can't help but feel like tonight's 400 mile long spaceship, with one end in a black hole is going to be some derivative of The Needle from the EDA 'The Infinity Doctors'.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The concept puts me in mind of the second Red Dwarf book, Better Than Life. Lister is marooned on a planet while the crew on the big ship find that time is passing differently at the front of the ship than at the back, and eventually work out it's because they're being pulled into a black hole. They escape and go back to pick up Lister, who turns out to have been marooned for 34 years.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

2house2fly posted:

The concept puts me in mind of the second Red Dwarf book, Better Than Life. Lister is marooned on a planet while the crew on the big ship find that time is passing differently at the front of the ship than at the back, and eventually work out it's because they're being pulled into a black hole. They escape and go back to pick up Lister, who turns out to have been marooned for 34 years.

Man, the Red Dwarf books were really weird.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Man, the Red Dwarf books were really weird.

The first two Red Dwarf novels (the two that Doug Naylor and Rob Grant wrote as a partnership) are two of my favourite SF novels of all time. They do such an amazing job of fleshing out ideas from the show while building a bigger realistic feeling universe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Supposition: the later phases of Cybermen are ones further up the ship as time changes speed.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought that too but it doesn't make sense, the ones further up have had *less* time to develop, not more. If it's about the Doctor escaping up the ship and later and later generations coming after him from below, because the further up he gets the faster they're advancing relative to him... Maybe.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

That sounds about right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dabir posted:

I thought that too but it doesn't make sense, the ones further up have had *less* time to develop, not more. If it's about the Doctor escaping up the ship and later and later generations coming after him from below, because the further up he gets the faster they're advancing relative to him... Maybe.

That's what I figure too. Hell, they're probably going back down on purpose to devise means to beat the Doctor in relative safety before sending up the new models.

All I'm hoping is the episode is resolved by killing them all in the proper Cyberman way; Gold Dust in the air filters.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhYIvOJ3i_4

Anyone else catch unconverted Bill at the 20 second mark?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
She looks quite young, and it's not Pearl Mackie. Probably Bill as a child.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Open Source Idiom posted:

She looks quite young, and it's not Pearl Mackie. Probably Bill as a child.

She reclaims her individuality by remembering her childhood and her mother. Once that is over, uncybernating her is pretty easy for the Doctor and Two Masters.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
A fuzzy spy photo for the Christmas episode seems to show Capaldi and someone who looks like David Bradley in his First Doctor look. This could seemingly confirm the possible "A Christmas Carol" theme for the episode.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

A fuzzy spy photo for the Christmas episode seems to show Capaldi and someone who looks like David Bradley in his First Doctor look. This could seemingly confirm the possible "A Christmas Carol" theme for the episode.

I'm all for this. Christmas specials have been cheesy retellings of stories like this (Hell, even this very story) before, why not?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Having the 1st Doctor show up is so very very Moffat, and I am all for it.

How many different actors have played 1 now?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

jivjov posted:

Having the 1st Doctor show up is so very very Moffat, and I am all for it.

How many different actors have played 1 now?

Not counting BF? Hartnell, Hurndall, and now Bradley. Technically Peter Cushing too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Nah, Cushing was Doctor Who, along with Michelle Gomez :v:

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Don't forget the kid from Listen. And the impressionist from Day of the Doctor!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"So, we managed to successfully bring the Mondasian Cybermen back in a creepy episode that really highlighted the horror of them. Now what? That stupid Iron Man flight would be good, right?"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The mere fact of Cybermen and the Master appearing in an episode together is a callback to Death In Heaven on its own, might as well go all the way with it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Box of Bunnies posted:

"So, we managed to successfully bring the Mondasian Cybermen back in a creepy episode that really highlighted the horror of them. Now what? That stupid Iron Man flight would be good, right?"

Why :negative:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The Moffatt giveth, the Moffatt taketh away.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress right the hell off.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This shows how more than ever we need Big Finish's Rocket Men brought to the screen. :allears:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Bill appears to be healed and fine in the Christmas special, Pearl has been spy photographed on set. But with the Christmas Carol nature of the story, could be a "ghost" of some form.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 29, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Healed? Or... Not dead yet...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

He's looking for shovels to bean people with.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
WWI setting? Maybe during the Christmas soccer game?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

That would be a good setting for the mood of the episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

That would be a good setting for the mood of the episode.

After echoplex called you out, considering he literally worked on the show, I'm thinking you need to stop.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

On the other hand he said the finale would end with the Doctor dying and choosing not to regenerate, which seems likely considering the cold open of World Enough And Time

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
My fiancée and I just watched An Adventure In Space And Time, so I'm all in for more Bradley as Hartnell. He is amazing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

TL posted:

My fiancée and I just watched An Adventure In Space And Time, so I'm all in for more Bradley as Hartnell. He is amazing.

Yeah, An Adventure In Space And Time was probably my favorite of the various anniversary things, largely because of him.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So stoked that Bradley is coming back for this!

It seemed like a no brainer, but one of those things that might not have happened, that they wouldn't have been able to get together.

Now, let's get him in for some Big Finish!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I feel like I'm the only one who thinks David Bradley just didn't quite capture Hartnell. His voice, especially, not only doesn't sound much like Hartnell's (which isn't necessarily a problem) but doesn't even really evoke him, either.

It was a fine performance, don't get me wrong, but kind of only in and of itself. IMO, anyway.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think he does a pretty good Hartnell for a biopic. I think it's weird to have him play "the First Doctor." The Doctor gets recast as different actors, but recasting specific incarnations of the Doctor is basically just asking an actor to do an impression of another actor. It gives them very little leeway to do their own interpretation of a part.

I think it could work here if it's a Christmas Carol-y type thing - the Doctor's memory of his past self is distorted, whatever, but I really hope we don't get into the habit of using combinations of CG, make-up and impressionists to try breathing some kind of undead life into actors that we've lost. It's ghoulish.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bicyclops posted:

I think he does a pretty good Hartnell for a biopic. I think it's weird to have him play "the First Doctor." The Doctor gets recast as different actors, but recasting specific incarnations of the Doctor is basically just asking an actor to do an impression of another actor. It gives them very little leeway to do their own interpretation of a part.

I think it could work here if it's a Christmas Carol-y type thing - the Doctor's memory of his past self is distorted, whatever, but I really hope we don't get into the habit of using combinations of CG, make-up and impressionists to try breathing some kind of undead life into actors that we've lost. It's ghoulish.

We are absolutely going to get into that habit. Did you see Rogue One?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

We are absolutely going to get into that habit. Did you see Rogue One?

I did, and it felt particularly weird there, because I don't even think they really captured his voice.

The 50th Anniversary stuff in Doctor Who was fine, because it was for brief shots mostly using archive footage, and Big Finish's narrated short stories are fine, but this idea that we can essentially have the First Doctor back because someone did a pretty good job of portraying Hartnell in a biopic sucks. Bill Hartnell is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I did, and it felt particularly weird there, because I don't even think they really captured his voice.

The 50th Anniversary stuff in Doctor Who was fine, because it was for brief shots mostly using archive footage, and Big Finish's narrated short stories are fine, but this idea that we can essentially have the First Doctor back because someone did a pretty good job of portraying Hartnell in a biopic sucks. Bill Hartnell is dead.

Did you not watch The Five Doctors? :v:

• Locked thread