Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Astonishing Wang posted:

Wanna drive dat TJ

Well come to Southeast Georgia/Northeast Florida

Geoj posted:

I'd check the fuel filter, if equipped.

That's probably my next step after checking timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I have a question that's really stupid and I have no idea if anyone can answer it. I've got a 1980s Puch maxi. It wasn't sparking when I put everything back together, so I traced everything back to the stator. I swapped stators, now I get spark but the spark happens inside the flywheel housing, probably at the points themselves.

For testing I've got the spark plug resting on top of the block. I can't see a spark in the plug (no idea if the plug is good or not) and I've yet to test it with just the spark plug wire, boot removed. I had it sparking a few times before the spark disappeared, then I realised it had simply moved to where the points are. It's pretty consistently in the same spot. I'm thinking maybe it's a timing issue? I forgot to mark the flywheel when I took it off, but it really looks like it only goes on one way.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I'm stupid and really bad with electricity, so please bear with me.

Will my car crash and burn if I install a 180 amp alternator? I can get one for a similar price to a 160 amp one. The car originally came with a 160 amp one, which are notorious for premature failure. I have no idea if it will cause any trouble.

The car can be equipped with either from the factory depending on the trim. 2014 Charger. No, I am not included in the recall. I hope Chrysler goes bankrupt.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The rating only indicates what the alternator can put out, the voltage is the same. The car will draw whatever it draws, the alternator does what it needs to to supply that many electrons per second while maintaining battery charge voltage; the higher rating just means it can keep doing that to a higher current level.

Beefier alternators can run more equipment, ie a premium stereo with subwoofer/amp instead of a basic 4 channel system. Going down from what it came with would be bad, but stepping up will make no difference.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Enourmo posted:

The rating only indicates what the alternator can put out, the voltage is the same. The car will draw whatever it draws, the alternator does what it needs to to supply that many electrons per second while maintaining battery charge voltage; the higher rating just means it can keep doing that to a higher current level.

Beefier alternators can run more equipment, ie a premium stereo with subwoofer/amp instead of a basic 4 channel system. Going down from what it came with would be bad, but stepping up will make no difference.

Cool beans. Thank you!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A simple way to remember it is that voltage is "pushed" to components, current is "sucked" by them. So if you put in 14v rather than 12v, things will get 14v, but if they were taking 20A at 12v, you can give them as much current capacity as you want, they'll still only take the 20A at 12v.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Hi car people.

My car windshield has a hairline crack that I just noticed. No idea how long it's been there, but couldn't have been that long:

Sorry for the bad quality. So here's the thing: obviously I have to fix it. But I'm set to take a 14 hour drive in two days. How likely is this going to blow up in two days?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It's hard to see how long it is. Is it longer than a dollar bill? If so, it's better off as a replacement.

Even if it cracks further it won't shatter or fall out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It's hard to see how long it is. Is it longer than a dollar bill? If so, it's better off as a replacement.

Even if it cracks further it won't shatter or fall out.

Def longer than a dollar bill. It starts in the bottom corner, moves to the middle and then goes up the middle.

By replacement, do you mean having them swap the whole windshield? That's what I'm assuming I'll have to do. It's more just, do I get into a shop tomorrow, or after my trip.

It's a Civic 2012. How much is a windshield normally run?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Duckman2008 posted:

Def longer than a dollar bill. It starts in the bottom corner, moves to the middle and then goes up the middle.

By replacement, do you mean having them swap the whole windshield? That's what I'm assuming I'll have to do. It's more just, do I get into a shop tomorrow, or after my trip.

It's a Civic 2012. How much is a windshield normally run?

How long is that in inches/cm? It's hard to tell from a photo, but looks massive.

Does your insurance cover glass replacement?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Hi car people.

My car windshield has a hairline crack that I just noticed. No idea how long it's been there, but couldn't have been that long:

Sorry for the bad quality. So here's the thing: obviously I have to fix it. But I'm set to take a 14 hour drive in two days. How likely is this going to blow up in two days?

I've had several cars go several years with a cracked windshield. It's mainly a cosmetic issue. The glass is designed to crack rather easily (for obvious safety reasons) and simple heat stress can do it. There are multiple layers and it's not about to fall out or anything like that.

The only cure is a windshield replacement.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

How long is that in inches/cm? It's hard to tell from a photo, but looks massive.

Does your insurance cover glass replacement?

I don't have tape to measure it at the moment, but yeah it's the length of half the height of he windshield.

Unknown, I'll be calling my insurance now, that's a good tip.

Deteriorata posted:

I've had several cars go several years with a cracked windshield. It's mainly a cosmetic issue. The glass is designed to crack rather easily (for obvious safety reasons) and simple heat stress can do it. There are multiple layers and it's not about to fall out or anything like that.

The only cure is a windshield replacement.

Yeah, cosmetics doesn't bother me, it's more not wanting to have an issue in the middle of no where while traveling. So I don't mind replacing it.

Edit: my insurance covers it ($500 deductible), and it won't affect my monthly rate, so I'll get it repaired. I just have to figure out if I can get this done tomorrow.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 29, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Here a crack in the winshield is an inspection failure if the crack is in the field of view of the driver. But if that's not a concern then you can drive with a cracked windshield without problems. Windshields are laminated so they'll stay in one piece despite a crack.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Here a crack in the winshield is an inspection failure if the crack is in the field of view of the driver. But if that's not a concern then you can drive with a cracked windshield without problems. Windshields are laminated so they'll stay in one piece despite a crack.

Ok cool. Because the main issue is its looking not likely I'll find someone that is free on a days notice.

So basically: short term car should be fine (specifically for a 14 hour drive), long term it probably isn't good to leave it for more than a few months?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Edit: my insurance covers it ($500 deductible), and it won't affect my monthly rate, so I'll get it repaired. I just have to figure out if I can get this done tomorrow.

On most cars you can probably get the windshield replaced for well under $500 - you may want to just pay out of pocket for it. Call around and get some quotes.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Also you may want to review your policy options - unless you live in a region with abnormally high windshield replacement rates most insurers now offer $0 glass comprehensive coverage, where you have a normal deductible for all other damages usually covered under comprehensive (generally anything that isn't your vehicle hitting another vehicle or stationary object) but glass repair/replacement is covered at 100%. In my case it's less than $5/month difference to have this coverage on both of my cars.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

No insurance company should be trying to repair that thing. It's huge. Call satellite and get a replacement quote. Probably $200-300

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Here in Colorado, half the cars have windshields that are cracked all the way across and up and down. They just drive them like that forever.

Back in PA - windshield damage was not as much as a concern, but safety inspection - you could fail if there's a crack in the acute area of the windshield - I just told people to imagine a normal piece of paper, placed on the windshield in front of the driver's eyes. If there were any cracks in that square - fail - if not - whatever you pass. (some shops interpreted this differently than others) I've heard people say that you can fail if the crack is within the swept area of the wipers "critical area" - but that's not how it's written in the book.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok cool. Because the main issue is its looking not likely I'll find someone that is free on a days notice.

So basically: short term car should be fine (specifically for a 14 hour drive), long term it probably isn't good to leave it for more than a few months?

You'd be surprised how easily you can find a glass guy, but yes you're fine to drive on that and schedule it at your leisure.

Since we're on the topic of glass chat - anyone have any experience with getting insurance-covered windshields replaced for massive amounts of pitting? Both my WJ and my CR-V now have windshields that have an assload of very small pits. They've got a few stars as well but mostly just tiny pits that make driving into sunrise/sunset suck. I've got zero-deductible glass on both of them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

You'd be surprised how easily you can find a glass guy, but yes you're fine to drive on that and schedule it at your leisure.

Since we're on the topic of glass chat - anyone have any experience with getting insurance-covered windshields replaced for massive amounts of pitting? Both my WJ and my CR-V now have windshields that have an assload of very small pits. They've got a few stars as well but mostly just tiny pits that make driving into sunrise/sunset suck. I've got zero-deductible glass on both of them.

Just say you want it replaced. They usually don't care. One stone bruise they may insist on trying to repair instead, but with multiple chips they're not going to fuss.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have the same issue on my 5 year old car with 60k miles. I think the previous owner took it on road trips in some sandy places. Ridiculous amount of pits in the windshield glass, and super tiny rock chips peppering the hood and front bumper. I didn't look closely enough when I bought it and now I'm debating a respray :(

Let me know how insurance shakes out for the windshield if you go that route, I'm curious too.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Just say you want it replaced. They usually don't care. One stone bruise they may insist on trying to repair instead, but with multiple chips they're not going to fuss.

These aren't chips, it's pitting. They don't care? They're in the business of making money. They won't replace it unless it needs to be replaced, and pitting doesn't fall into that category.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

These aren't chips, it's pitting. They don't care? They're in the business of making money. They won't replace it unless it needs to be replaced, and pitting doesn't fall into that category.

I guess it depends on the insurance company. Mine have never given a poo poo regardless. If I want a new windshield, I get one.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I generally try to avoid insurance fraud :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

One could argue that pitting all over the windshield is a safety issue, and could be a contributing factor in a wreck. Repairing all of that may cost more than replacement.

Driving into a sunrise/sunset with a windshield like that is pretty painful, and makes it difficult to see.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Checked with Geico and it's a $500 deductible for that :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

One could argue that pitting all over the windshield is a safety issue, and could be a contributing factor in a wreck. Repairing all of that may cost more than replacement.

Driving into a sunrise/sunset with a windshield like that is pretty painful, and makes it difficult to see.

I mean, I don't disagree with you, but it's never going to happen.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

Checked with Geico and it's a $500 deductible for that :(

As was pointed out above, a rider for $0 deductible on glass is pretty cheap. It's more than worth it. I've gotten two windshields and a back window for (almost) free in the last few years.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Deteriorata posted:

As was pointed out above, a rider for $0 deductible on glass is pretty cheap. It's more than worth it. I've gotten two windshields and a back window for (almost) free in the last few years.

This varies by state. I'm not sure if that's available in IL but I'll ask later.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah I'll have to look at that next time, I thought I was pretty thorough on my car insurance, but I either missed it, or decided I didn't want it.

So my deductible is $500 on my car windshield (that's just my standard deductible), I have a place repairing it for that tomorrow. Honestly, I'm in the middle of a cross country move, so while a part of me is debating just let it go and repair it later, a bigger part of me is in the "fix it so it's one less thing to worry about" mode.

If it wasn't for the move I wouldn't be rushing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've been looking around for struts and springs for my car, 09 Corolla. By the end of the summer I'm hoping to have new struts and springs, plus all the associated doodads (strut mounts etc.), and install them shits in the fall.

Since I don't want to get the FCS (possibly stands for Fuckin Chinese poo poo?) quick struts, I'm going to get the KYB struts and associated bits, but I'm not sure about the springs. Since either brand isn't that expensive, should I get the Moog springs or AC Delco?

I know Moog makes ball joints, tie rods, U joints etc.. Anyone have experience with their springs? Any good?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah I'll have to look at that next time, I thought I was pretty thorough on my car insurance, but I either missed it, or decided I didn't want it.

So my deductible is $500 on my car windshield (that's just my standard deductible), I have a place repairing it for that tomorrow. Honestly, I'm in the middle of a cross country move, so while a part of me is debating just let it go and repair it later, a bigger part of me is in the "fix it so it's one less thing to worry about" mode.

If it wasn't for the move I wouldn't be rushing.

Are you saying they are repairing a crack that big and charging you $500 for it? Not replacing the glass? That's definitely not right.

As mentioned, your glass should be under $500 as well.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I need to get one tire valve step replaced on a tire. Any idea what I should be paying? I don't care for the sensor valve, just want the regular one.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

wesleywillis posted:

I've been looking around for struts and springs for my car, 09 Corolla. By the end of the summer I'm hoping to have new struts and springs, plus all the associated doodads (strut mounts etc.), and install them shits in the fall.

Since I don't want to get the FCS (possibly stands for Fuckin Chinese poo poo?) quick struts, I'm going to get the KYB struts and associated bits, but I'm not sure about the springs. Since either brand isn't that expensive, should I get the Moog springs or AC Delco?

I know Moog makes ball joints, tie rods, U joints etc.. Anyone have experience with their springs? Any good?

Do springs really go bad? Maybe they do if you head-butt them. I get doing a quick strut (because quick) but I don't think I've ever known anyone to replace spring unless they were lowering or sportifying the car.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's usually quicker to swap the complete assembly. If you're paying a shop to do it, it often winds up being cheaper overall to swap each corner as an assembly. If you're doing it yourself, it's still easier to just swap the entire assembly. Safer too.

And with a lot of miles, springs will absolutely sag. My 95 Civic had camber issues because the original springs were sagging so bad, but I paid $200 for it with nearly 200k, so I didn't really give two shits so long as the toe could be set. My 06 Saturn definitely has worn springs as well; 175k on it, and the back end is sitting a lot lower than it used to.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Are you saying they are repairing a crack that big and charging you $500 for it? Not replacing the glass? That's definitely not right.

No, it's a full windshield replacement.

I'm calling the shop today and confirming the price.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

No, it's a full windshield replacement.

I'm calling the shop today and confirming the price.

Ask if you paying them cash is a different price than insurance.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Depends on the car. Some of them can get pretty expensive. Sensors for automatic lights and wipers are usually glued to the glass and have to be replaced along with the glass.

The glass on my FIAT 124 is extra thick because they wanted more sound deadening than in the Miata. On another forum someone said they took a stone and it cost upwards of $1000 to replace it. Hence glass insurance is worth it. It's disproportionately expensive to replace and easy to break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alarbus posted:

Ask if you paying them cash is a different price than insurance.

Yeah, I got some stuff worked out, ends up being $317 now, and that's after tax. I'll take it.

Appreciate the help everyone. If you ever need cell phone help (plan pricing), stop by the cell threads, or PM, and I would price compare for you.