Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Edit: adding quote for context due to new page:

DivisionPost posted:

One note about this: The image in question was of Mauer before her gender reassignment surgery, which is honestly kind of a lovely thing to do—I don't know the context of that picture's presentation, but who she used to look like has no bearing on this situation, and is thus none of our loving business.

That said, fighting that with a DMCA takedown after you've already filed over a hundred(!) spurious claims is a bad, bad look; particularly if she didn't talk to him first, and ESPECIALLY if he got the picture through her (though I'll be surprised if she did; this is just me covering my bases). My sympathy for Mauer extends to her being clearly unstable and needing professional help, and for the fact that this is bringing a lot of transphobic fuckwads out of the woodwork, regardless of who played the card first.

Ok, yeah, that is a pretty lovely thing to do. Now, a DMCA strike is not the way to ask someone to remove and edit their video, but that is still a lovely thing to do to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

DivisionPost posted:

One note about this: The image in question was of Mauer before her gender reassignment surgery, which is honestly kind of a lovely thing to do—I don't know the context of that picture's presentation, but who she used to look like has no bearing on this situation, and is thus none of our loving business.

That said, fighting that with a DMCA takedown after you've already filed over a hundred(!) spurious claims is a bad, bad look; particularly if she didn't talk to him first, and ESPECIALLY if he got the picture through her (though I'll be surprised if she did; this is just me covering my bases). My sympathy for Mauer extends to her being clearly unstable and needing professional help, and for the fact that this is bringing a lot of transphobic fuckwads out of the woodwork, regardless of who played the card first.

According to one of Sid Alpha's videos, this was literally just the first result typing her name on GIS. Probably not intentional, and until that was pointed out the fact she is trans didn't even come up. So pointing it out seems to have backfired spectacularly.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Unfortunately the usual Internet Edgelords are busily poisoning the well by sending harassment and death threats to any e-mail address they can see associated with this, even if it's the completely wrong person. Jim Sterling posted a video that used some of SidAlpha's footage and an e-mail address belonging to one of the developers was briefly onscreen - cue a deluge of harassing e-mails, and Jim needing to take the video down briefly and admonish his audience.

Actual Youtuber Lawyer Leonard French is apparently now representing the developers.

... I think Alex knows how much she has horribly hosed up. Unfortunately she is choosing to double-down on the self destructive behaviour.

It's been a hosed up situation all around.

The trans stuff should be irrelevant, but unfortunately it's been all over the comments sections since the story broke. None of the youtubers I've seen have mentioned it until Sid's most recent video, but a lot of assholes are probably seeing it as an opportunity to poo poo on someone. It's not helping.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

geri_khan posted:

Actual Youtuber Lawyer Leonard French is apparently now representing the developers.

Speaking of, Leonard French had a livestream about the legality of what Alex did (spoiler: very illegal). It's an interesting watch.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
"Hey, if I throw cans of Spaghetti-Os at people, they will be mad at Campbell, not me!"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ApeHawk posted:

"Hey, if I throw cans of Spaghetti-Os at people, they will be mad at Campbell, not me!"

Works for gun control :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

She also just changed her twitter banner to this a little while ago, so, uh...

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 29, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm sure she'll be fine, but it's always a bummer to see people publicize their stress breakdowns.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any way for the law to make her go see a doctor once she loses her lawsuit? And she will lose her lawsuit, no bones about it- you don't need to be Leonard French, or even the Romino Bros. to make sure of that. Because this seems to me to be less an internet numbskull being an internet numbskull, and more of some poor woman having a stress breakdown :(

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wait DSP is also involved in this? God the guy is everywhere lately isn't he.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Leal posted:

Wait DSP is also involved in this? God the guy is everywhere lately isn't he.

No, the game she was mainly DMCA-ing people for was called Star Mazer DSP.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
boy howdy are there a lot of extremely broken people on the internut

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't any sympathy for her. Using the legal system to attack effectively random internet people is wrong, sad brains or not. She believed if she inflicted the pain of copyright strikes she could extort these folks to confront her employer in an unrelated contract dispute. She did no research into the process and just went on a spree pressing the big red button on anyone who dared show up on a cursory YouTube search.

The civil suit is going for a soft approach to minimize damage to her despite her doubling down and issuing multiple death threats. She shows no signs of backing down. gently caress her.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
She seems to me to be firmly on the wrong side of this, no doubt, but I find the idea that there can be no sympathy for her to be very unfair.

These have not been the actions of someone who is well, happy, and in no pain. Even if she were to wake up tomorrow, realize all her errors, rescind all of the threats and notices, and magically cure all her woes, her career is probably wrecked and she has still poked the bear that is the Gaming YouTube Masses, a demographic not exactly renowned for considered, proportionate responses, or respect of boundaries.

The lawsuit could be a slam dunk, and all it will accomplish is damage control.

This whole mess is a tragedy, and I feel for everyone swept up in it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It was an incredibly spiteful but at the same time self-destructive act coming from someone in a fragile position that probably will never quite recover from the backlash. I agree, you can be sympathetic while still considering her to be completely in the wrong and legally liable. Just one of those situations where you hope the guilty party can get their poo poo together and minimize the damage to both sides, and that a witch hunt doesn't get started (and we're poo poo out of luck there already).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
She made a second tweet promising she will do a second DMCA strike (this time for the game's sound effects) on anyone who is able to successfully repel the first strike, but deleted it, it seems. It's really hard to feel sympathy for someone who is such an rear end in a top hat, breakdown or not, so I don't blame anyone who can't harbor any as long as you're not telling her to jump off a bridge yourself.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Leonard French has made an update on the case, you can watch the video here.

The tl;dw is that they (French and others) have gotten Alex help, though they are still following through with the lawsuit against her.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Motherfuckers are in pain all the time. People don't throw legal tantrums and cause. Why feel sympathy for someone who takes their pain and suffering to the top of a clock tower with their trusty scoped rifle.

Reasonable folks are coddling her. I get that the vocal internet is throwing transphobic poo poo on her comment walls and dms. That sucks, but taking your work for hire ball and tearing it away from 200+ videos/twitch steams is not an admirable position to force internet strangers to get you help.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

Motherfuckers are in pain all the time. People don't throw legal tantrums and cause. Why feel sympathy for someone who takes their pain and suffering to the top of a clock tower with their trusty scoped rifle.

As well all know, abusing YT's DMCA takedown form is the exact same as murdering a bunch of people. Exactly the same.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KirbyKhan posted:

Reasonable folks are coddling her. I get that the vocal internet is throwing transphobic poo poo on her comment walls and dms. That sucks, but taking your work for hire ball and tearing it away from 200+ videos/twitch steams is not an admirable position to force internet strangers to get you help.

I think it's a matter of where you draw the line deciding when someone deserves the backlash they get for doing hostile stuff. Some would say it's never deserved no matter how harsh the action, others would argue that if you do something lovely enough you deserve what you get. It's really down to personal opinion where that line lies but I would say that attacking someone's character for the actions they take is pretty low. making GBS threads on you for the person that you are instead of the things that you do, etc.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

KirbyKhan posted:

Why feel sympathy for someone who takes their pain and suffering to the top of a clock tower with their trusty scoped rifle.

Because transpeople suffering breakdowns are more likely to be going to the top of that tower to jump off you shithead.

They're a giant idiot for their takedowns and all of that, but nobody, especially not the current trendy to hate minority, deserves the massive downpour of vomit they're guaranteed to be getting drowned with.

Cheez posted:

it's called a metaphor, you loving robot. It's the same type of situation in a different kind of place where the harm one is able to cause is different. Holy gently caress.

It's a bad and stupid metaphor.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Genocyber posted:

As well all know, abusing YT's DMCA takedown form is the exact same as murdering a bunch of people. Exactly the same.

it's called a metaphor, you loving robot. It's the same type of situation in a different kind of place where the harm one is able to cause is different. Holy gently caress.

Yardbomb posted:

Because transpeople suffering breakdowns are more likely to be going to the top of that tower to jump off you shithead.

So if it wasn't a trans person, which wouldn't make a lick of loving difference because said breakdown occurred from events that had nothing to do with it, it's ok then? Nice.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Cheez posted:

So if it wasn't a trans person, which wouldn't make a lick of loving difference because said breakdown occurred from events that had nothing to do with it, it's ok then? Nice.

Yardbomb posted:

but nobody, especially not the current trendy to hate minority, deserves the massive downpour of vomit they're guaranteed to be getting drowned with.

Go gently caress yourself for trying to be willfully dense on this.

Was being rude over a misunderstanding.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 30, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cheez posted:

nice meltdown

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah cool, absolutely nothing had anything to do with it and this person was attacking people before anyone even knew what was going on, but because REASONS, you have to have lots of sympathy! Like you don't think anyone else could possibly feel that way for any other reason.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Cheez posted:

but because REASONS, you have to have lots of sympathy!

https://twitter.com/alexmauermusic/status/880468040269410305

https://twitter.com/alexmauermusic/status/880073529672179712

https://twitter.com/alexmauermusic/status/879906858177310721

https://twitter.com/alexmauermusic/status/879854655064473600

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yardbomb posted:

It's a bad and stupid metaphor.

It was a bad metaphor but I think the point behind it still stands. It's the kind of situation where saying "tut tut, you brought it on yourself" doesn't really cover the whole issue, of course, but I don't think that's what he is saying. The idea of it being hard to muster up sympathy for someone who acts like a jerk, regardless of the circumstances, is a pretty universal thing.

edit: I still think being openly hostile to people who are openly hostile doesn't really get anyone anywhere, though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 30, 2017

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Ah yes, the very global thing of the internet being a thing where literally everyone and anyone gets attacked in the same fashion on any subject because there are lovely, lovely people out there. What difference does it make? Are other people in the same boat with a different problem inherently worth less?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cheez posted:

Ah yes, the very global thing of the internet being a thing where literally everyone and anyone gets attacked in the same fashion on any subject because there are lovely, lovely people out there. What difference does it make? Are other people in the same boat with a different problem inherently worth less?

I would say that the backlash is worse, in this situation specifically, because mocking someone for being transgender is a pretty sore spot for a lot of people who are. It's the kind of thing that's very hard to feel secure about, and to have people en masse making GBS threads on such a crucial part of your identity like that can hurt worse than just "normal" internet hate. I don't think that means she deserves more sympathy than other people receiving hate would, just that it's pretty understandable why it would cut deeper for her specifically.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Cheez posted:

Ah yes, the very global thing of the internet being a thing where literally everyone and anyone gets attacked in the same fashion on any subject because there are lovely, lovely people out there.

:laffo: if you don't think even more people than usual come flying out of the woodwork to show everyone how ~*redpilled*~ they are when transpeople are involved in any way.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cheez posted:

Yeah cool, absolutely nothing had anything to do with it and this person was attacking people before anyone even knew what was going on, but because REASONS, you have to have lots of sympathy! Like you don't think anyone else could possibly feel that way for any other reason.

Unless you're one of the people she issued a DMCA takedown to, you really don't have any right to be this angry. That the people actually pursuing litigation against her are treating her more kindly than you are should speak volumes to that.

Yardbomb posted:

:laffo: if you don't think even more people than usual come flying out of the woodwork to show everyone how ~*redpilled*~ they are when transpeople are involved in any way.

Also this. The sheer vitriol people are directing towards her is something that was largely absent even from cases like the Romine brothers.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Ok, I'm probably making a massive misunderstanding somewhere here because I was thinking people were trying to say that they shouldn't consider legal action

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

And just to clarify ahead of time, I dunno how you've gotten that I think it ONLY matters or something because they're trans Cheez, but I said exactly the opposite of that already and have mostly just been trying to point out that no, this isn't "gets attacked in the same fashion on any subject" because more and more readily as of late, the internet's shown it wants to be as awful as humanly possible to very much transpeople in specific. What better opportunity to flex that than to all pile into the wagon on someone it's been 'legitimized' to hate recently and hide among already huge waves of criticism.

Cheez posted:

Ok, I'm probably making a massive misunderstanding somewhere here because I was thinking people were trying to say that they shouldn't consider legal action

Oh no, not at all on that, they deserve that completely because they did a hugely stupid thing. It's the really repugnant harassment people are fielding at them that's being decried.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Yeeah, uh, whoops. My bad. I think I otherwise agreed with pretty much everything going on in this thread about it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
This is why you read posts before posting.

Also yeah, DMCA takedowns are shiity and cost people money, time and effort, but it's not like she stabbed someone over this poo poo.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, regardless of what she's going through she does need legal action taken against her. I just think that the optimal outcome is that the case is dropped, Imagos doesn't lose anything, Leonard gets paid adequately, and Alex gets some sorely needed counselling and/or medication.

I suppose having all the transphobic assholes who came out of the woodwork be hit by lightning would be nice too, but at that point I might as well ask for a unicorn that shits diamonds.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
From what I understand of the case, it's not really about money but about establishing the developer's rights to the games content as well as the community's right to publish Star Mazer content.
So in essence it's being used to devalidate the dmca strikes and to hopefully prevent further misuse with that particular game.

On a somewhat more happier note. Due to the efforts of people like Leonard French, Imagos, and a few others she is now getting the help she needs and the wave of dmca's should finally be at an end.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Cheez and CJacobs read the metaphor as I intended to communicate. Anyone causing harm to random folks because THEY MAD gets my ire, doesn't really matter what THEY MAD about. CJacobs also read me right in that I am in the "deserved backlash" side of the line as a personal perspective.

Yardbomb, those screenshots of her twitter feed and youtube video are genuinely repugnant. It is terrible what kind of hate and bile the internet can throw at a person. Wish the internet would just stick to general mean words instead of slurrious mean words.

From the reporting shown from the Leonard French and SidAlpha videos, she had multiple helping hands offered to her every step of the way and still tossed them aside to do this petty poo poo. As of 2 hours ago, Leonard French recorded himself crying with joy that she finally got some help. Woooo.

I'm a random internet person who watches videos of other people playing videogames. This incident affected about 200 people who record themselves playing avideogame that I don't even watch. The stakes are so low they are melting from contact with the earth's core. I still stand by my metaphor with those stakes firmly established.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So yeah, on sympathy;

I do not think Alex deserved no backlash for the totality of things she did. They were unquestionably in violation of the law, carried out in malice, and caused a great deal of disruption, stress, and in a few cases, financial trouble. A great many people have due cause to be angry at her, and no bystander would be unreasonable to think less of her over it all.

The fact remains, though, that there were underlying causes behind her lashing out. Painful causes that nobody should have to deal with. The poo poo got her first, and then the poo poo spread to those in her line of sight. So yeah, I feel some sympathy for her, for whatever her underlying problems are, for the fact that they spiralled this far out of control. On top of that she is being inundated with garbage for reasons that have nothing at all to do with all this. That I feel sympathy for her does not reduce the sympathy I feel for the people she's hurt in the grips of her own pain one jot. Nor does it mean I would begrudge them their anger at her; she has caused real consequences.

I just want to reiterate that this whole poo poo show is a tragedy that needn't have happened at all, and it would still have been tragic - just less public - had she not decided to do all these things.