Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Even before this game's release, I pegged Dead by Daylight for a quickie game that was developed solely because there was a Friday the 13th game coming out. The half-hour I played it over a free weekend it just felt really cheap and barebones, like a shovelware PS2-era game with better graphics and multiplayer. Call me cynical, but I really believe that they tried to get it out the door and into Early Access ASAP to beat Friday the 13th to market.

I really don't like Dead by Daylight and don't get why people ever liked it

I'd have to look at the timelines, but there were a lot of asymmetrical horror games all spooling up around the same time. I concur, DBD is just kind of boring. Damned was a good one, but suffered the same problem. All you could do was look for keys (though I haven't played it in years to see if it's changed at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

So Icey Seifuku posted:

If you spawn inside/near it, You'll know.

The probably see Jason shortly thereafter.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Oh we have chadded our way out of maps a million times, but we stay in game chat only

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Doctor_Acula posted:

I'd have to look at the timelines, but there were a lot of asymmetrical horror games all spooling up around the same time. I concur, DBD is just kind of boring. Damned was a good one, but suffered the same problem. All you could do was look for keys (though I haven't played it in years to see if it's changed at all).

Yeah I liked Damned quite a bit, and it's been out since before Friday the 13th was even in Kickstarter. But it got really old really fast and searching for tiny little objects in rooms that all looked identical was annoying and kinda gave me a headache. I think it was among the first though to really do asymmetric multiplayer horror that I know of.

It's weird though that my friends who seemed to love Damned and Dead by Daylight are hesitant to get Friday the 13th, which I think we can agree is by far the best game of its type to date.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
What's the oldest of these games?

Evolve was the first I have heard of.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

What's the oldest of these games?

Evolve was the first I have heard of.

Possibly "The Hidden"?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I remember The Hidden, it was pretty neat. Going waaaay back AVP 2000 had some pretty good asymmetric PVP modes, including one that started with several Marines vs. one Alien and whenever the Alien player killed a Marine, they respawned as an Alien. Being the last Marine on the map was pretty nerve-wracking.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

DrNutt posted:

Quick question since there are a ton of F13 movie nerds that post in here all the time: why does Kane Hodder get his dick slurped so much for being Jason? He was only in what, 4 out of 26 movies? And the character was well established long before he ever played him? Is it because his name makes him sound like a real serial killer? Just wondering. The only F13 movie I've seen with him was Jason X and it didn't like, revolutionize the character for me or anything (though it was fun trashy romp for sure). I just feel like dude gets a lot of mileage out of playing a character whose face is covered and is mostly silent, and he's not even in half the films.

Out of all the people to play Jason, he's the most passionate about it. More other people are very much 'it was a paycheck.'

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Gunder posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason as to where vehicle components and fuses spawn?

Sort of. Gas Cans and batteries in weapon locations (usually on the floor nearby where the weapon would spawn). The Propeller can spawn in a weapon location or wherever med spray can spawn outside of drawers. The Fuse can only spawn in drawers. Their spawn locations are random, although they often seem to spawn near their objectives, but that might also be confirmation bias because that's when you're most likely to actually get a vehicle put together.

Grem posted:

Oh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jason didn't go to his knees and there was no way he was blocking. But he did the stunned by sweater animation. The girl who had the sweater then hit him with q baseball bat, didn't drop him, actually it did nothing and Jason recovered from the sweater stun. I was Tommy, standing in front of him the whole time, certainly didn't get the prompt.

E: I really wish I'd recorded it because everything went like it was supposed to until then

did you have the mask off? and was it one of the Jasons who don't stun easily? and was it Deb, who has no luck and is therefore least likely to stun Jason out of everyone?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Mask was off, it was Jason 2, which I'm pretty sure is the easiest stun, but yea, it was Deb. Oh well, we'll try again tonight if we find another sucker.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

ComposerGuy posted:

Pub game about an hour ago.

The Jason is a little below average but whatever. It's Packanack and of course the 4-seater and phone have both spawned at the lodge, so Jason has spent basically the whole game just camping around it. We're down to four counselors. Two of them are up by the boat, and me and a Bugsy are at Packanack juking and trying to get the phone going.

So over walkie I hear "Hey if anyone has gas bring it up to the boat and we can all get away".

Well, I know from looking at the map that there are 2 guys up there, and they're just sitting by the boat. It's pretty clear they're hoping me or Bugsy don't realize the boat won't seat more than 2.

But hey, guess who just found the gas?

Me. As Chad.

So I say into the walkie "No, no you guys go ahead and take the boat, it's fine", and I know I'm within earshot of Jason. I hear back "Dude I just said we need the gas fir...OH poo poo".

Jason had teleported over and starts chasing them down. I saunter over to the boat while he's chasing them through cabins, casually put the gas in the boat, start her up, and ride off into the sunrise.

Right before I'm at the exit I walkie "Hey! I found the gas! And also a boat!"

The curses ring in my headset. Chad rides again.

Should be back from my road trip tomorrow mid day. My camping trip got canceled due to the north east getting a huge storm this weekend. I plan on drinking many drinks and playing F13 a lot. <3

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Inside Out Mom posted:

My camping trip got canceled due to the north east getting a huge storm this weekend.

You don't have to lie to us Inside Out Mom, you're among friends here, you just didn't want to run the risk of getting sleeping bagged.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Yardbomb posted:

You don't have to lie to us Inside Out Mom, you're among friends here, you just didn't want to run the risk of getting sleeping bagged.

no lie. 8 year old me was freaked the gently caress out at the sleeping bag kill for a looooooooong time growing up. but now as an adult with all the bills and debt, i embrace it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I just coordinated an au naturale Jason kill with pubbies, so I think I'm god now. I'm pretty sure I'm god.

e: it took so many panicky NONONONONOs and reaffirming SWEATER BLUNT WEAPON TOMMY WITH SHARP WEAPON but omg we pulled it off

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 30, 2017

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
https://youtu.be/rZj1F1-DQSg

Ignore the awful commentary as I was severely drunk but this was hands down my favorite pub game so far. About 7 mins in is when it really gets good. It ends with Adam and myself going toe to toe in the middle of the road.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I played in a game during the double xp weekend where Tommy seemed to kill Jason Part 2 by himself. He and I were running to the car to install the battery and Jason morphed in front of us. I was carrying the battery so I ran ahead while Tommy fought off Jason with an axe. All of a sudden the Jason kill scene triggered and the game ended. Jason's bag was long gone, but there was no sweater and no other councilors anywhere near them. Is this just one of the many glitches? Or maybe the sweater is not 100% necessary?

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 30, 2017

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Ignore this, I'm an idiot.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
How are you an idiot precisely that seems like a very valid question

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Coolguye posted:

How are you an idiot precisely that seems like a very valid question

Double post

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
oh that

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Under what circumstances can Jason shrug off a shotgun blast? I nailed a guy and got all the points for it but it did nothing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Republicans posted:

Under what circumstances can Jason shrug off a shotgun blast? I nailed a guy and got all the points for it but it did nothing.

I think there are more glitches. I was in a game earlier today and two of us shot him in a row, got the points, and he didn't even blink.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Got a 10% stamina recovery perk with no drawbacks, which pairs nicely with my 10% total stamina perk with no drawbacks. :haw:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I hope my 10% avoid being sensed perk with no penalty is working. I pair it with being a giant scaredy cat.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Scaredy Chad

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Timeless Appeal posted:

The one thing that Friday the 13th actually needs is a Final Girl mode where if you're the last survivor you get a lot stronger and more challenging.

I swear if I won the lottery I'd fund that "Evil Dead" game I spoke about that is essentially this. The final survivor turns into their own version of "Ash" and can fight back and reverses the hunter/hunted roles.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

TheAnomaly posted:

Sort of. Gas Cans and batteries in weapon locations (usually on the floor nearby where the weapon would spawn). The Propeller can spawn in a weapon location or wherever med spray can spawn outside of drawers. The Fuse can only spawn in drawers. Their spawn locations are random, although they often seem to spawn near their objectives, but that might also be confirmation bias because that's when you're most likely to actually get a vehicle put together.

did you have the mask off? and was it one of the Jasons who don't stun easily? and was it Deb, who has no luck and is therefore least likely to stun Jason out of everyone?

knocking Jason down after the sweater stun is 100% gauranteed unless Jason is blocking when the sweater is used.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Carebearz posted:

knocking Jason down after the sweater stun is 100% gauranteed unless Jason is blocking when the sweater is used.

I've never knocked him to his knees with a "3rd Party" (i.e. a nearby Adam)

Can anyone confirm whether or not the knock down HAS to be the sweater-wearer or Tommy?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Every time I've done it or seen it done the sweater wearer had to knock him down. Anyone else caused the whole thing to gently caress up and no kill happened.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I've never knocked him to his knees with a "3rd Party" (i.e. a nearby Adam)

Can anyone confirm whether or not the knock down HAS to be the sweater-wearer or Tommy?

it's supposed to be the girl with the sweater

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
TIME FOR SCIENCE CAMP

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I've gotten the to-his-knees knockdown as Tommy in two different kills now, I don't think it's mandatory for any one specific person to do it.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Republicans posted:

He was probably stunned but could slow walk. If jason isn't running or power walking never try and hit him because he's probably invincible. Or he could have been blocking, I've never seen anyone block a shotgun but it works on like everything else.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
On an unrelated note, I had my first two escapees for like the past 3 weeks last night. I let Burk and Terry distract me with their antics while the boat was repaired. To be fair, it was Jason 7 who was unable to quickly eliminate the distractions, but it's no excuse for my poor performance. Never again.

:negative:

Cabin inspections were fun, I'll let Burk relay that story because he clearly failed inspections the hardest.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Timeless Appeal posted:

The one thing that Friday the 13th actually needs is a Final Girl mode where if you're the last survivor you get a lot stronger and more challenging.

Maybe give it stipulations where you have to be a female counselor and/or have max composure. Also it doesn't trigger until Jason goes Rage Mode and gives you no option to hide. Maybe kick it off with the final counselor yelling to the sky "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, HUH? I'M RIGHT HERE!".

Then maybe you get super-fast grip escape, higher damage resistance, unlimited stamina and fear goes up a lot slower. You'd still be mostly hosed but at least you'd have a better shot than just picking a random cabin and hoping Jason doesn't manage to Morph there before the round ends.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

King Vidiot posted:

unlimited stamina

You may as well just end the match with a "you survived". Unlimited juking.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Cabin inspections were fun, I'll let Burk relay that story because he clearly failed inspections the hardest.

I won the hardest. had the entire main lodge to clear on my own and Drill Sgt. Jason found everything in order.

Thus I was allowed to leave via car on my lonesome.

Also:

quote:

unlimited stamina

That's an auto-win, honestly. At full sprint every single counselor moves faster than Jason. He'd have to shift-grab you to win.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ComposerGuy posted:

I won the hardest. had the entire main lodge to clear on my own and Drill Sgt. Jason found everything in order.

Thus I was allowed to leave via car on my lonesome.

I was robbed. Terry disqualified himself in my doorway.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Burkion posted:

I was robbed. Terry disqualified himself in my doorway.

Terry failed inspection, having left a wrench lying on a storage chest in the corner of a room. Also, numerous set pieces composed of cardboard boxes were in disarray. He was summarily executed for his lack of attention to detail.

Returning as Tommy Jarvis, Terry began trying to collect items to escape in the car.

During the initial questioning and inspection phase of Burk's cabin, Terry came running by. He was grabbed and executed in the doorway, in full sight of Burk.

Burk was then immediately questioned as to why a dead body was present in his cabin, to which he had no answer except to stare at Drill Master Tinfoil in disbelief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Someday I may become mature enough not to laugh at people who say "I have gas"

• Locked thread