Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

It's pretty telling that even people who've been following this poo poo for years, including Beet, aren't even clear on the details of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So wait. They were charging people money for physical metal cards to be a loving flight attendant in a fake space game that will never come out? Are you loving kidding me?

FSX Passengers had an in-flight entertainment plugin years ago! And you didn't need to get a player to physically loving serve food, which is a feature we've yet to loving see implemented! So what, is this some F2P feature where if I grind being flight attendant long enough I can fly my own ship? Or is it some roleplay rear end wannabe EVE online horseshit?

What the hell is this game?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Kayak, Minus, and Biscuit tax

Off topic, can you stack Kayak, Minus and Biscuit or do you not have Grabby Stacky Hands 2.ohnomygameisshit?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Taintrunner posted:

So wait. They were charging people money for physical metal cards to be a loving flight attendant in a fake space game that will never come out? Are you loving kidding me?

FSX Passengers had an in-flight entertainment plugin years ago! And you didn't need to get a player to physically loving serve food, which is a feature we've yet to loving see implemented! So what, is this some F2P feature where if I grind being flight attendant long enough I can fly my own ship? Or is it some roleplay rear end wannabe EVE online horseshit?

Yes.

I think the only thing the cards were ever actually used for was some kind of access at one of the citizencons.

Don't even talk about in flight stuff, or we'll have to start getting into how you can buy special high end in-flight entertainment movies for your passenger ship,, and hope you don't have to repair your media array during flight.

Let's not even get into buying special alcohol from exotic locations for your in-flight drinks.

Nothing I've said is hyperbole. It's literal real things crobbler has stated.

If you mix drinks well, you get a bonus. Insert drink mix screen shot here. I know somebody has the hairy roberts screen shot, post it for me.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

XK posted:

I'm pretty sure you had to be $1,000+ to be able to get a card.

$30+ to get the plastic card: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/rewards

The $10 card was for those that wanted one after the initial run, they could pay $10 for a card which included shipping.
They also charged either $5 or $10 for those in the first wave who wanted to upgrade their card from plastic to metal.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

So what, is this some F2P feature where if I grind being flight attendant long enough I can fly my own ship? Or is it some roleplay rear end wannabe EVE online horseshit?

The shitizens literally believe people who buy the base $45 package will grind out jobs as flight attendants, turret gunners, and floor moppers, in order to earn money toward owning ships.

Yes, it's crazy.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

XK posted:

Has she ever worn it?

Yep, 14th April's video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqv78x5ZEwE&t=15s

Although they probably filmed it two weeks earlier on 1st April and she wore it as a Aprils Fools joke to Chris.

It looks like it could have cost a few Javelins.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

radd posted:

$30+ to get the plastic card: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/rewards

The $10 card was for those that wanted one after the initial run, they could pay $10 for a card which included shipping.
They also charged either $5 or $10 for those in the first wave who wanted to upgrade their card from plastic to metal.

I just want to post a quote of mine, from apparently over a year and a half ago and is now archived (god, it's been that long):

quote:

Once anyone receives their card, what is the usage scenario? Their relatives happen to stumble upon it while scooping their junk into a garbage bag after their death?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

It's pretty telling that even people who've been following this poo poo for years, including Beet, aren't even clear on the details of anything.

There's honestly so much bullshit with this game that's happened over the four years (holy poo poo) since I backed that I can only ever really recall around a third of it at a time. Almost any conversation about Star Citizen is peppered with "Oh right, I forgot about this thing they did a couple years ago..." statements all over the goddamn place.

Also, despite being a dumb whale, I never actually got a Shame Card, so I never cared about the tiers :smuggo:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

XK posted:

The shitizens literally believe people who buy the base $45 package will grind out jobs as flight attendants, turret gunners, and floor moppers, in order to earn money toward owning ships.

Yes, it's crazy.

Why is it every time I conceive of some stupid poo poo this game manages to find an even dumber loving implementation of the idea

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

XK posted:

I just want to post a quote of mine, from apparently over a year and a half ago and is now archived (god, it's been that long):

Yes, pretty much. Just like any game that has a cloth map, or limited edition figurine, or collector's steelbook, or medallion, etc etc etc.

Trivial physical tokens have been part of gaming for decades.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

XK posted:

Yes, it's crazy.

This is literally a real thing. This is the state of the vocal fan base. You can mop floors and maybe one day own a premium ship of your own.

They expect people to login and interact with a "game" where you can mop floors all day so that you might be able to eventually own a ship.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Kosumo posted:

Yep, 14th April's video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqv78x5ZEwE&t=15s

Although they probably filmed it two weeks earlier on 1st April and she wore it as a Aprils Fools joke to Chris.

It looks like it could have cost a few Javelins.

Rare find.

Holy poo poo, she is so bad in front of a camera. I'd probably do better, and I'm shy about being in front of cameras at an ATM.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

$45 gets you the worst ship, I believe that nonsense was from speculation about a free-to-play tier. Basically this:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

radd posted:

Yes, pretty much. Just like any game that has a cloth map, or limited edition figurine, or collector's steelbook, or medallion, etc etc etc.

Trivial physical tokens have been part of gaming for decades.

Deluxe edition items have been garbage for decades. But they are rarely just cards. A card implies access, or status. A figurine is something for a lame-o to put on a shelf. A steelbook is presentation for the game in storage. A medallion you can wear like an idiot. A card is something you present to get something. And it's just a flat piece of metal screen printed with bullshit for 60 cents. It's the basest possible game token outside of maybe getting a pog.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Use your concierge card to access special events at the next CitizenConned

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Somebody post the hairy roberts drink mixer.

I'd do it, but I can't find that poo poo.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Someone who has a video editor with more fidelity layers could do better and I'd be happy.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Oh gently caress, there you go. That's a totally real screenshot. Well, proposed screenshot. But it's a real thing released by CIG.

Master that drink mixer and you get extra something something. Role play as a flight attendant on your passenger ship, deliver drinks efficiently, and something? Buy rare alcohol from exotic locales to make your passengers happier with the drinks. Actual stated game mechanics, not exaggerating anything.

Just buy the passenger craft you gently caress.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

XK posted:

Just buy the passenger craft you gently caress.

If you call it a Space Bus you're a toxic dink.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Bloody Hell, now that idiot is going to start haunting https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2645590&p=-1&#bottom again.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
I vaguely seem to recall come goon making bomber bros cards or something for one of the first citcons or something, but that might have been an eve thing.

radd posted:

No, you're certainly right in that CIG (or their low budget supplier) hosed up, because lots of people who pledged after the campaign closed but before cards were printed wanted one, but CIG said it was a campaign reward only, then they backflipped. Then the first shipment went out, and lots of the non-Roman characters (things with umlauts etc) were all hosed up and not printed, so they decided to do another run to fix that and allowed people who missed out to purchase one in that run.

They then continued with the non-Roman character fuckup for their Subscriber Wall (identical fuckup to the backer card printing): http://sanctuaryrepublic.com/forum/topic/3721-find-your-name-on-the-virtual-wall-of-honor/ which was apparently already in production when they showed the image to the public and people complained about issues in their name. I haven't seen it in person, but I am sure it's either a) not fixed, b) reprinted with more backer money, or c) in storage or landfill somewhere.

Christ, I completely forgot that goddamn backer wall was even a thing. My loving handle is up there, forever, or at least until its destroyed. On the drat EvE monument too.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

Kayak, Minus, and Biscuit tax

I see your cute bed pets and raise you a towercatte:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

I'm sure AP has a compendium of his posts

I don't really read all that reddit stuff unless it's short. People find different things funny, I like the bugs mostly.

The guys on reddit are dumb but also really boring.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

For some reason, maybe the "style" of the rendering, I get the feeling our ol' pal Ryan Archer did this.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

starkebn posted:

What happened to Money? I know he's successful at directing so I guess he left to do that ages ago but was there ever a sendoff of any sort?
Money's gone.

Oh, wait, you mean Justin. He's still credited as atv video editor.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RagingBlueberry/status/880568074557988866

:gary:

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

"Waaaaah why don't you go complain about EA and their Star Wars DLC???? *buys $500 worth of ships*"

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

You only paid for the base game, hurry up with those drinks. We've got some thirsty passengers who need to get from the one station to the other station. No quantum drive, we're taking the scenic route through 999km of empty space.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Two of my orange animals

And stop hating on bartender games--they are excellent: Beer Tapper

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

HycoCam posted:

Two of my orange animals

And stop hating on bartender games--they are excellent: Beer Tapper

This is a Good Post. Your puppy is wonderful.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

ComfyPants posted:

Someone who has a video editor with more fidelity layers could do better and I'd be happy.

:eyepop:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's June 30th, where's 3.0?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's June 30th, where's 3.0?
Space Rome wasn't built in a Space Day.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Finally found the quote I was looking for.

June 21st 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

I know I said it a number of times: I really expect at least a mission or two out of SQ42 this year as a teaser, with release of SQ42 next year (summer maybe)? And I'm thinking we'll enter beta by the end of next year with full release in 2018. That said, my 'oh-poo poo' moment will likely be observation of progress by end of Q2 next year: if procedural tech, netcode and and other gameplay mechanics aren't more refined at that point, it's probably too far past a salvage point. Then again, I fully expect the grey-market to still be a viable alternative to offload most of my assets, even by Summer of next year.

It's the end of Q2 bro and nothing has changed

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

XK posted:

Seriously, did anyone ever get metal cards?

I got a metal card. It's going rusty from being sat in my wallet so long...

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Rugganovich posted:

Bloody Hell, now that idiot is going to start haunting https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2645590&p=-1&#bottom again.

Cya on the front line commando!

That thread was the huge eye opener to me when I couldn't believe that people would be throwing thousands of dollars a day at CiG because literally the only discussion going on was about all their sales purchases, and they were always buying because there were always sales and "bargains" to be had.

EDIT: I still remember his crazy meltdown when I pointed out the end of year video or something, whatever the one was that they pulled from Youtube because it was so poo poo, wasn't available and he fired back with the company line of "it'll be back, it just got DCMA'd by haters reporting it" and then pointed out later it still wasn't up that he went and linked to the twitch archive video with a "see, it's still up you dumb goonie, stop spreading the FUD!"

Rudager fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 30, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TheLastLeg/status/880681989652832256

I just hope he can stop gushing over Star Citizen for long enough to talk about his other work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

ComfyPants posted:

LOL :perfect:

Seriously, is there some disorder tied to loving waving your hands around like a buffoon? I've never seen anyone talk with their hands like that before.