Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I don't know, I really do think people would mind it a lot less if they weren't reminded that they can pay for progression. Because right now you can get to the end of Transylvania without paying a dime, so it doesn't look to me that they're punishing you that HARD for not paying ball. If, however, when they add Tokyo and Nightmares, the grind to continue with the game is as hard as it was in the original, or harder, then they would be punishing free to players. But as it is right now? A lot of people here are already max level and finished with what is currently available. What sense is it to have all of the skills and relic weapons or whatever they are called now when there's not even the endgame in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

The reason things eventually cost aurum instead of always being an equivalentish number of marks is to ensure specific points at which someone, somewhere, has to have had purchased aurum.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
every once and awhile I find people who can't not imagine other people do not want to use an auction house or exchange currencies since they think everyone is broken like they are

the developers remind me of the same kind of people

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yes, obviously that's the reason. I was just wondering if it was worth it having it presented that way, and having people recoil from it being presented that way. Obviously I don't have the numbers and research yo make any conclusions, but maybe it would work better to just have the option to pay aurum for it, and as such skipping any grind for marks, but also have the option to pay a ~reasonable~ amount of marks for it, maintaining them the appearance that they aren't punishing free players.

I mean, hyperbole aside, I do think that a LOT of recoil people have for these models is really how they go about asking for your money. People wouldn't complain so much about those agarthian drops if they weren't drops at all. Of course, they are because they want to remind you to spend money, but that just pisses a lot of people off. Even if it's true you don't have to open them.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Meallan posted:

This seems to be the major problem: Argatha cashes, sprints, inventory upgrades, etc. Having the option to still do these things with aurum is fine, but players having to basically click a "I don't want to spend money rn" button every turn is what makes people so angry about the whole thing.

I think you hit the nail on the head. So many times you get the F2P monetization pushed into your face and you have to push it aside.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Third World Reggin posted:

every once and awhile I find people who can't not imagine other people do not want to use an auction house or exchange currencies since they think everyone is broken like they are

the developers remind me of the same kind of people

Exactly. It's a bother. A bother that makes sense to have if people want to go after cosmetics or stuff that is not blocking progress. But it should not block progress for free to players. If you CAN just use the exchange anyway, maybe it would be worth to just have a set amount of marks for those things.

Because right now those seem to be some of the few things actually blocking progression. The lack of ways to get to max skills and stats may also just be their way to not let people get absurdly high level without having Tokyo and Nightmares yet. Because as it stand right now, to get to the end of the content available , I've yet to see the need to grind not even a third of what I had in the original game. Not even close. That can change though, and it would be what would make me drop it, just as it was what made me drop Tokyo (couldn't get to last aegis dungeon because of the grind).

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

So, as far as builds go, I'm curious on people's thoughts on more hybrid-focused approaches. I started with trickster and I'm leaning towards staying with chaos/pistols; the idea is to drop six line/fixed game, spam chaos skills for four seconds, then maybe drop one or two buffs/non-channeled pistol spenders once the reds are locked before hitting all-in with royal flush.

The current plan for the chaos side of things is pretty much turmoil and tumultuous whisper with the passive and body double for kind of a doppleganger-focused build. Is that fundamentally decent? At this point, I'm only strongly committed to the pistols half of the build if there's a better way to do chaos or a better weapon to pair it with.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I have finally retrieved enough parts from the moving boxes that my gaming computer is back from the dead. Now somebody tell me which class to choose. :qq:

Edit: okay, Magus it is.

prefect fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 29, 2017

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

prefect posted:

I have finally retrieved enough parts from the moving boxes that my gaming computer is back from the dead. Now somebody tell me which class to choose. :qq:

Edit: okay, Magus it is.

I went Ninja, because swords = spin to win.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Variable Haircut posted:

I went Ninja, because swords = spin to win.

I think I had to switch to swords for a while at the start of Tokyo back in the first game, because I was just getting my rear end handed to me with my AR/elemental hackwork. It really did feel like "easy mode".

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Richard M Nixon posted:

Never change, drinkfist. We need more gbs in our mmohmo.

I was talking about the ah in discord last night....

E: someone on discord did a fan art of my character. Dude is loving skilled.

You are a bowl of poo poo yelling at a mirror.

yegods posted:

Hmm, I don't know what you guys are talking about... I love the new combat system. It seems more fluid, and pointing at what you want to hit is the perfect system. The new simplified skills system is pretty great too. I wasn't the most dedicated player of TSW before, and I always was confused by the skills... too much choice.

I admit, they went a little heavy-handed on the monetization though. They could stand to back off on that a bit.

SHILL HARDER.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I loved the skill wheel, sad to see it go.

Anyways, what's the deal with weapon appearances now, do they change as the item is upgraded? I don't want to go through the entire game weilding a bent coathanger.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Dungeon weapons are apparently different and weapon skins aren't in yet for reasons unknown

(The reason is skins will probably be a cash shop item)

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah I traded for a dungeon weapon with another goon and it looks more like a European sword with some spikes and for some reason holes in it but everything is better than another loving Katana. It has great stats too but who cares about that.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
So finally getting around to messing with this and was wondering since I transfered my account to a TSWL account does that mean i'll eventually get all the cosmetic items I had from the beta campaign when the original launched and if so where I do get them because they haven't showed up for me yet.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

F2P in a nutshell:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Loot List.

Form to add items

Feel free to share.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 30, 2017

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Is there a guide to items somewhere? I have items that have 1-3 dots that all seem to have equivalent stats, but also have an item that has 1 dot but is a purple epic so I am confused as gently caress what any of this means.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Arven posted:

Is there a guide to items somewhere? I have items that have 1-3 dots that all seem to have equivalent stats, but also have an item that has 1 dot but is a purple epic so I am confused as gently caress what any of this means.

3 dots > 1 dot for pure stats of same level items. Items upgrade green (20 lvls) - blue (25 lvls) - purple (30 lvls) - yellow (35 lvls).

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Digging though this loving Tradepost.swf looking for a way to increase the 90 item listed cap is making my eyes bleed.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Third World Reggin posted:

people who can't not imagine other people do not want to use

they can't not imagine people don't want to do something

did you mean they can't imagine people don't want to do something, or were you super self-owning, I'm guessing from the whiny tone you were complaining about how it works

Lawlicaust posted:

3 dots > 1 dot for pure stats of same level items. Items upgrade green (20 lvls) - blue (25 lvls) - purple (30 lvls) - yellow (35 lvls).

to use more words:

it looks like all items can drop at 1-3 dots and at the same color/level a 3-dot item will always be a bit better than a 2-dot item will always be better than a 1-dot item. most items you pull from bags will be greens (at least while leveling), but you can also pull blues and presumably purples.

the dots are a little bit more like real MMO "rarity" than the color is because you can take any lowly green and relatively quickly push it up to green-20 (by feeding it other greens), at which point you combine it with another green-20 into a blue-1, and then you combine that blue-25 with another blue-25 into a purple-1, etc

so in terms of a super exciting loot drop, a three-pip green item with a desirable effect is rarer than a one-pip purple with no/a lame effect--you can boost the green into a purple, but you can't easily burst the one-pip into a three-pip (it costs a 2500 aurum item, or about 20 USD)

as far as I've seen items only ever drop at level 1 for their rarity. when you're feeding one item to another, if the two types match (same slot+stat for talisman, same weapon type for weapons), the feed is worth 250 xp instead of 100--that doesn't seem to vary with rarity or level, so if you decided to feed a level 25 blue shotgun to a level 22 blue shotgun, it would still only be worth 250. I think.

crawlkill fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 30, 2017

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Fruits of the sea posted:

I loved the skill wheel, sad to see it go.

Anyways, what's the deal with weapon appearances now, do they change as the item is upgraded? I don't want to go through the entire game weilding a bent coathanger.

Devs said recently that weapon skins will be in ~soon~ as part of the dressing room and that there will be various ways to purchase them. I'm guessing some of them will require marks and others aurum.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

crawlkill posted:

Explanation about loot.

I'm guessing then that you're supposed to only equip the fancy item you just got after you evolve it to sufficient levels, and that supposedly you didn't lose much since eventually you need to fusion two items for the next colour item. But man, that must suck when it happens to purples.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I don't remember it happening in TSW, but I've been having mobs drop lore bits. Is there any pattern to this that anyone knows of?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

M_Sinistrari posted:

I don't remember it happening in TSW, but I've been having mobs drop lore bits. Is there any pattern to this that anyone knows of?

It was something added to late TSW, though I can't recall if it was specific monsters that dropped them. TSW guides to lore should have more info on them if you check.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

1. Did anybody get revenant weapons? Are you suppoed to receive the code in the email?
2. Anybody else has problems with group finder? It placed me at the 3rd boss of hell raised, there was only 1 other player and we weren't even in a group with him

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

crawlkill posted:

as far as I've seen items only ever drop at level 1 for their rarity. when you're feeding one item to another, if the two types match (same slot+stat for talisman, same weapon type for weapons), the feed is worth 250 xp instead of 100--that doesn't seem to vary with rarity or level, so if you decided to feed a level 25 blue shotgun to a level 22 blue shotgun, it would still only be worth 250. I think.
This is correct. Exp amounts when empowering are the same regardless of the sacrificed item's level or pips.

Sekenr posted:

1. Did anybody get revenant weapons? Are you suppoed to receive the code in the email?
No one has them. Might get them on the 1st.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Amante posted:

No one has them. Might get them on the 1st.

Tomorrow's been the speculation I was hearing in genchat earlier. I can't remember if these were supposed to be beginner weapons, but it'd be annoying to've levelled past them before having a chance to use them first.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Just to be sure: fusing a maxed 3 pip green (target) with a maxed 1 or 2 pip green = new 3 pip blue, right?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I'm starting to suspect that the chances of non-distillate drop from dungeons might not be very high.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I'm having some problems deciding what weapons to go for. I only have 1 character slot, so it's a little tedious to remake a character to try them all.

The last class I tried was Trickster, and I soft of like chaos, except that so far I only have short range abilities, but I want to play a ranged character. I also want to be able to heal, but pistol seems pretty limited here. Right now I'm thinking of trying Elemental with some healing offhand, but I don't know if elemental is ranged or not. Would this be viable?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sjonkel posted:

I'm having some problems deciding what weapons to go for. I only have 1 character slot, so it's a little tedious to remake a character to try them all.

The last class I tried was Trickster, and I soft of like chaos, except that so far I only have short range abilities, but I want to play a ranged character. I also want to be able to heal, but pistol seems pretty limited here. Right now I'm thinking of trying Elemental with some healing offhand, but I don't know if elemental is ranged or not. Would this be viable?

Elemental is ranged -- you throw fireballs and lightning bolts, mostly.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Tsed posted:

Just to be sure: fusing a maxed 3 pip green (target) with a maxed 1 or 2 pip green = new 3 pip blue, right?
Yeah, that's how it works. When fusing talismans, you can even use a maxed talisman of a different type (AR/HR/HP) worn in the same slot.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
So this runs worse on my computer than TSW did which seems really weird. Also I kinda dug the new beginning but man they really didn't need to double the tutorial that was already kinda long to begin with.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Amante posted:

Yeah, that's how it works. When fusing talismans, you can even use a maxed talisman of a different type (AR/HR/HP) worn in the same slot.

They need to clarify how all of this works somewhere because it's confusing as hell.

It's also really unclear how dungeon keys work- I wasn't using them because I didn't know you got some back daily...

And holy cow, doing PVP is the way to go for grinding, apparently. A free weapon and talisman and 500 shards after every match, win or lose. I'm surprised people aren't all jumping off the cliff in the beginning just to end the scenarios faster.

Arven fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 30, 2017

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Arven posted:

And holy cow, doing PVP is the way to go for grinding, apparently. A free weapon and talisman and 500 shards after every match, win or lose. I'm surprised people aren't all jumping off the cliff in the beginning just to end the scenarios faster.
By the time you get to the second or third part of Kingsmouth you're earning more than that per quest.

Definitely by Egypt.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

By the time you get to the second or third part of Kingsmouth you're earning more than that per quest.

Definitely by Egypt.

I think after a certain level you start getting guaranteed glyphs from PvP bags too, so per minute churning out Shambalas has utility.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Capntastic posted:

I think after a certain level you start getting guaranteed glyphs from PvP bags too, so per minute churning out Shambalas has utility.

Maybe, it's just not runaway better. Quests can be pretty fast.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Maybe, it's just not runaway better. Quests can be pretty fast.

Glyphs seem rare otherwise, though I am level 42 and just starting Egypt. Good glyphs are also selling in the AH for thousands of Friendship Marks so there's all sorts of different values, ethics, and morals. It's a living!

The takeaway here is that playing the game is optimal.

Fun fact: The above assertion only holds true if you are Illuminati.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Live stream right now: https://www.twitch.tv/funcom

Upcoming Patron Changes
  • +20% MoF gains
  • Double AP/SP gains
  • Teleports free now as well as anima leap

Downtime Compensation
  • 25 AP / 25 SP
  • 10K MoF
  • 4000 Anima shards
  • 1 Blue Talisman Fusion Booster

Elite Dungeons next week. Dungeons now scale from difficulty 1-10.

3 month release plan will be detailed next week.

Faction Missions will return as post-50 content.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 30, 2017